• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you get attached to your in game "rivals"?

WaterTypeStarter

Given many are friendly it is not unnatural that you may come to like them. Even the unfriendly ones might appeal to you as well. What are the "rivals" you feel most attached to? Why? And how do you feel about many of them becoming just NPCs with the same dialogue as well as Pokemon and levels? If available, do you like either battling them again? Or doing some game challenges with them (like doing 20 consecutive wins in Multi Battles in Gen 6)?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The only rival I end up liking was Wally. I do admit that he grew on me duo his portrayal on ORAS though.

Everyone else I was either neutral or bored with

WaterTypeStarter

The only rival I end up liking was Wally. I do admit that he grew on me duo his portrayal on ORAS though.

Everyone else I was either neutral or bored with
What did you think of him becoming an NPC with the same dialogue and battles in the Gen 3 games? Did you like him in the Postgame of ORAS? Did you try rematching him or doing a 20 win Multi Battles with him?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I have a neutral hatred for all Pokémon rivals, but there are a few that I have a modicum of respect for, at least:

- Hugh: He had no interest in 'being the best,' or even being your rival. His sole goal was to do right by his sister by rescuing the Purrloin that was taken from her.
- Hop: Perhaps the only rival with legitimate character development. Unlike his predecessor, Hau, Hop's consistent losses eventually get to him, and he is forced to look into himself, who he is, and what he wants out of life. In the end, he realizes it isn't Pokémon Battling that is truly his passion, but Pokémon Research.
- Marnie: Unlike literally every other rival in existence, Marnie is neither conceited, self-concerning, nor inappropriately happy. She is merely a trainer who legitimately wishes to better her skills and eventually become Champion. Her only flaw is the pressure she feels in being the hope of her hometown.

Now, did I get attached to any of these characters? Absolutely not. However, I will say Hop is the first and currently only rival I have ever felt strong emotion towards. I genuinely felt bad for him when he lost all his confidence and fell into [what appeared to be] a depression.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I became somewhat attached to Hau and Lillie in my playthrough of Sun, even tearing up a little when Lillie had to leave for Kanto and Hau was upset at her leaving. I don't think I've ever felt like that with any other rival.

I also kind of liked how Wally had a breathing affliction and was initially rather shy, but over the course of the game, he starts to gain his confidence and his illness starts getting better. (And his final battle theme in OR/AS rocks.)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
What did you think of him becoming an NPC with the same dialogue and battles in the Gen 3 games? Did you like him in the Postgame of ORAS? Did you try rematching him or doing a 20 win Multi Battles with him?
Technically, I didn't play the Gen 3 games.

As for the ORAS postgame... I did play it until the point we get to battle him in the Chateau.

Either way, I'd say the part that really sold me was the encounter before the E4 in the main quest. And that danm battle song.

In the end, ORAS improved Wally for me duo the combination of improved character design, change of ace pokémon (Gallade is more fitting IMHO), presence of mega and the presentation of his climatic pre-E4 battle.

And the theme song, obviously.

Hilda

Say what you want about Hop. He might be the most competent or the coolest, but he really does feel like your real-life friend is playing him alongside you. They nailed that feeling. However, the one that gives the perfect rival feeling is in my opinion Blue, even after all these years. Not as much animosity as Silver, but not too buddy-buddy either. They sprinkled everything right with him.

WaterTypeStarter

Say what you want about Hop. He might be the most competent or the coolest, but he really does feel like your real-life friend is playing him alongside you. They nailed that feeling. However, the one that gives the perfect rival feeling is in my opinion Blue, even after all these years. Not as much animosity as Silver, but not too buddy-buddy either. They sprinkled everything right with him.
How do you feel about the Gen 1 rival just sitting at the league with the same dialogue and team? Never leaving and never actually being there to see you complete the Pokedex (assuming you do so)?

Last edited:

wanderist

Someone
I've gotten attached to a couple of them, Hugh and Hop being the first ones to come to mind. Hugh's story and his desire to save his sister's Pokemon and prevent anyone else from going through what they went through spoke to me more than any other rival. He didn't have an obsession with beating you or becoming the strongest, he just wanted to become strong enough to get back what he lost and protect others. I remember I genuinely wanted to help him and was heartbroken for him when he got Liepard back the way he did.

Hop's story of struggling and failing and questioning what he was actually doing with his life also spoke to me. I was happy for him when he decided that he didn't have to walk the same path as his brother or be as great a trainer as him or you and chose the path that would make him happy. Still would love to see him as a full-fledged professor one day.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
This might be partially outta nostalgia, but the rival I'm most attached to is Barry. I don't know, out of all the rivals, he was the one I looked forward to battling and just seeing him in general the most in every replay I did. Maybe it's because of those replays, coupled with his personality, that made me like him the most. And I can easily say I do.

Unless N counts but I kinda don't count him as a typical "rival" (and it wouldn't be fair anyway 'cause he's my number one Pokémon character. XP).

Cheren and Bianca I like simply because, even if I didn't play BW before B2W2, it was so cool to see a rival character from the first game older in another one and it warms my heart. And well maybe also I just like Unova/B2W2 in general.

The others I'm technically neutral on since I'm not "attached" to them, as in I could easily say I like 'em, but with the more "mean" rivals I just go "eh" while the friendly ones I feel "hey bud! Oh you wanna battle? Okay then, let's go!" because they're friendly. Tho that doesn't apply to Gen 6 and 8 rivals since I haven't played XY or SwSh yet (tho from what I hear of Hop, I actually do like him) and I don't know how different ORAS!Wally is to RSE!Wally so my attachment to him might increase should I play ORAS.