1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you give your party HM's or use HM slaves?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by Glitcher, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glitcher

Glitcher Well-Known Member

I'm wondering which method used by most of the community: itegrating HM moves into your party or use specific HM slaves to get around the region? Personally, I find that constantly juggling between the six Pokemon you intend to train and HM slaves to be far too tedious, which is why I always plan ahead so that my party has a good balance of battle moves and HM moves. Besides, some HM moves are useful in a fight too, like Surf and Fly. What about you?

2. Tiomasta

Tiomasta Not amused

HM slave and a few moves around. Bibarel FTW.

Having a Bibarel with Cut/Rock Climb/Rock Smash/Waterfall(or Surf) leaves Strength(which is a decent move for in-game on any physical attacker, Return likely isn't at full power at that time), Fly(which is also decent for in-game) and Waterfall or Surf.
    You would probably have a water-type on your team, or some poke which can learn Surf or Waterfall. You leave one for Bibarel, and one for your other poke.

And that's it.

3. foxyman1167

foxyman1167 From Zero To Hero

I give my party HMs for Surf and Waterfall but thats it. I use HM Slaves for the rest of them.

4. shaoon

shaoon Not normal

Surf and fly are the only really good HMs. Because of that I use HM slaves.

5. Tiomasta

Tiomasta Not amused

Waterfall is the physical version of Surf, it's better when you have something like a Gyarados or a Kabutops. I mean, it's good too.
    Strength also works in-game.

6. SolarPowerX

SolarPowerX Well-Known Member

It usually depends on the HM and how badly I need it. Some are OK, but for the others I use HM slaves

7. Lorde

Lorde Banned

A little of both.

Surf and Fly I usually teach to "keepers". I rarely use HM Slaves. I am not a Slave Master.

8. GoombaGeek

GoombaGeek Begone!!

My HM slaves are Marill and Shieldon. My Staraptor knows Fly, though.

9. ClassicalwaterPokemon

ClassicalwaterPokemon Well-Known Member

I use the HM's on my pokemon in my team..

10. CAH

CAH Calm And Hyper

I do this. In R/S/E i used my zigzagoon (called HMzagoon), but now its all about Bibarel (HMdoof) , the ultimate HM slave

11. Cerex

Cerex Well-Known Member

I typically don't like to travel around with a full team, but rather just stick with two or three. Which leaves me a spot(s) for HM Slaves or hatching an egg or two. Mantine for Surf and Waterfall, Victreebel for Cut, Fearow for Fly and Defog, Hariyama for all others.

12. leilukin

leilukin Dragon Tamer

I teach Surf, Waterfall, Fly and/or Strength to my party Pokemon. For others, I teach them to my HM slaves.

My HM slaves:
    In R/S/E, I use Linoone(Cut, Rock Smash, Strength) and Marill(Strength, Rock Smash, Dive, Waterfall).
    In FR/LG, I use Raticate(Cut, Rock Smash, Strength) and Marill(Rock Smash, Waterfall, Strength, Surf).
    In D/P/Pt, I use two Bibarel and a Gliscor(Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Defog).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  13. GolemGuy

GolemGuy Better Than Thou

I teach Surf/Waterfall (depending on my Water type), Strength, and Rock Climb to my team. I used to teach Fly, but not any more.

14. arceus7

arceus7 Arcane Of The Wild

why not fly anymore its gotten strong in game

15. STICKTOPIA

STICKTOPIA Well-Known Member

I use HM slaves(except with surf)

16. KKInu

KKInu Well-Known Member

I dislike the idea of using a single pokemon as an "HM Slave" or rather, I hate the term "slave", it makes it seem like you don't treat that pokemon like your other pokemon, which seems rather mean to me. I don't want to treat a Pokemon as my slave, it seems kinda cruel. I much prefer giving my party pokemon HM's, especially if the HM's are useful, like Surf or Fly. I tend to give HM moves that aren't so useful to Pokemon I don't use often, but I still don't treat them like slaves.

Even if I have a pokemon that I use more for HM's than other pokemon, I still have the courtesy to give it a nickname, give it at most 3 HM moves so that it leaves room for a move that it learns naturally (or a move that it more powerful than an HM move) and I use it in battle just like the other Pokemon I own. I give any remaining HM moves to pokemon in my party or something.

17. ShinyPichu4Ever

ShinyPichu4Ever Eye of the Storm

I use a Bibarel as an HM slave for Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Cut, and Strength. and then I gave Surf to my Empoleon, Waterfall to Gyarados, and Fly to my Pelipper.

18. Don Pachi

Don Pachi Banned

Hm slaves.I tried hm's on my team but they where useless.Like cut on Treeko

19. JerisEnigma

JerisEnigma Unemployed Red Mage

It depends how long I've been playing.

If I'm still getting badges or finishing up areas, etc then I'll spread things around my main party.
    If I'm done however, then I've usually abandoned half my team to box life and will have an mega HM slave like zigzagoon, peliper or ludicolo in the remaining party.
    I need empty slots at end game for ease of breeding & eggs for 100% completion.

20. Short Wing

Short Wing Home of the Braviary

No, I didn't give my Sinnoh team any HM moves, except Waterfall on Floatzel, it got to be a pain switching out for good 'ol Bibarel and Starly for my HM's each time I needed to bypass a shrub or cross a rock or not drown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.