• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you like/dislike Smogon's tiering process?

Not all of them but some of them that they decide to not give an analysis for that tier which in some cases is understandable. Take Shuckle for instance and watch this video.

I'm not going to watch the video because its probably some noob Power Trick or Power share combo that's beating a terrible player.

Smogon isn't doing analysis for those Pokemon now because its primary objective is to finish OU. Once that is done and the site is up and running Shuckle in OU analysis will be allowed.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
I'm not going to watch the video because its probably some noob Power Trick or Power share combo that's beating a terrible player.

Smogon isn't doing analysis for those Pokemon now because its primary objective is to finish OU. Once that is done and the site is up and running Shuckle in OU analysis will be allowed.

How right you are. Power Share. The opponent sucked.

Gamefreak

Well, I peaked at 62 with a UU duggy birds team. Too many Scarf Heras for it to work well.. (I guess I could run Scarf Aerial Ace Dugtrio.. but that's stupid)

Hmm.. maybe you could try Scarf Fearow?

Also, youtube battlers usually set a poor example for the competitive pokemon community. They usually aren't very good, and a bunch of people who don't even play competitively think they are amazing. They do roulette battles and use terrible gimmicks.

You would be very suprised how many things I hear them say in their youtube vids and just facepalm because of how flawed their logic is. Just watch them for entertainment, and get examples of good players from Smogon in my opinion.

Edit:Nvm, I forgot it only gets Drill Peck.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Every ferrothorn I've faced tanks a fire punch well. Then it T-Waves me, and leech seeds/protects, and uggg. ALWAYS takes down 2-3 members of my team, even though I prepare well for it.

BGP_

I also find those that haters the concept of tiers are uneducated in the subject. All pokemon are not equal, and it's not fair to force Beedrills to fight Kyorgues. Tiers give average pokemon a level playing field to be useful; if anything fans of the mediocre should be thankful of tiering. Dattebayo always ranted that "people will never use pokemon that aren't OU," but seriously: do 8 year-olds consult Smogon guides to make their teams for their new new pokemon game playthrough? They go for what's cute or what's cool-looking and probably never try to use something on the unorthodox side like Cosmic Power Sigilyph. Also some people don't understand that tiers are fan-made and GF doesn't make pokemon for a specific tier.
For the most part, their tiers are pretty spot on, and including useage stats. Seriously, if something wasnt good, why would people use it? Granted, some things may NOT be OU yet and havent been examined, but do realize that b/w only came out like a few months ago, this isnt going to be a perfect metagame right off the bat, you can't expect as good of a metagame as 4th gen OU was when 5th gen came to be. Also, i can guarantee you they dont go for what's cute and what's cool looking lol, if they went for cool looking Golurk and such would be OU lolz. Matter of fact, there are hardly any "cute" pokemon in OU xD

SphealsFTW

Money is the anthem!
I don't think they are ban happy. The only pokemon that actually DO end up being banned are pokemon that truly should be.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
A lot of people are upset that Blaziken with blaze and Garchomp without sand veil is also banned. I personally think that Mew should be in BL or OU.

A lot of people are upset that Blaziken with blaze and Garchomp without sand veil is also banned. I personally think that Mew should be in BL or OU.

Mew was actually pretty close to a BL ban a couple of rounds ago, though it was voted safe this past round. It may get nominated for a ban again, but until it's deemed broken in UU or more people start using it in OU (they should, it's pretty good), it looks like Mew will be UU for a while.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
At first I thought this was one of "those" threads, but then I saw the OP and the opinion was completely the opposite. I agree that Smogon's tiers are clearly the best and the standard. However, I also agree with user 3.14kachu. All the haters are gonna stay away if there's nobody actually hating on Smogon. I mean, why would you go on a ship if you knew it was sinking? Then again, I could be wrong and this could end up being the next controversial Competitive Discussion thread.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
For the most part, their tiers are pretty spot on, and including useage stats. Seriously, if something wasnt good, why would people use it? Granted, some things may NOT be OU yet and havent been examined, but do realize that b/w only came out like a few months ago, this isnt going to be a perfect metagame right off the bat, you can't expect as good of a metagame as 4th gen OU was when 5th gen came to be. Also, i can guarantee you they dont go for what's cute and what's cool looking lol, if they went for cool looking Golurk and such would be OU lolz. Matter of fact, there are hardly any "cute" pokemon in OU xD

In the case of the 8 year olds, he meant in-game.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Not complaining or hating but can someone tell me why Victini's UU and still hasn't made it to BL?

Not complaining or hating but can someone tell me why Victini's UU and still hasn't made it to BL?

Victini is in UU mostly because it's weak to Stealth Rocks, bad typing, the only thing why everyone uses it is because of V-Create, it can't learn any good boosting moves such as Nasty Plot or Sword Dance...
But Victini with Choice Band spamming V-Create is awesome.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Hey, emboarrocks, weren't you complaining a ton about Smogon in one of the POTW threads a while ago? Would you mind voicing your thoughts on why you were doing so.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Hey, emboarrocks, weren't you complaining a ton about Smogon in one of the POTW threads a while ago? Would you mind voicing your thoughts on why you were doing so.

I wish this was FB so I could like this.

Pretty much the same way. His defense isn't too great so with one dragon dance+ extreme speed, it can nearly KO him. But like I said, with dual screens, vaporeon can finish him off despite a SD'd hi jump kick. Without my screens, I wouldn't stand a chance in the OU tier.

Screens aren't a counter to Blaziken. There isn't a counter to Blaziken, so it is Uber.

Aztec_Blaziken

Back to WiFi Battles
If smogon was "ban-happy" Latios, Thundurus, and even ferrothorn would have been banned by now

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
If smogon was "ban-happy" Latios, Thundurus, and even ferrothorn would have been banned by now

Well Thundurus was already close to being banned. But both of the other Pokemon you named are easily countered. Latios's STAB's are resisted by Bronzong, and Ferrothorn is taken out easy by any fighting or fire type.

Ausgirl

What annoys me about smogan is that they banned drizzle & swift swim. If Pokemon can learn the moves legally then it should be allowed. (Also the RU tier is stupid cos it's basically the same as the NU tier).

LetsGoJeto

I pwn weather teams
Screens aren't a counter to Blaziken. There isn't a counter to Blaziken, so it is Uber.

Oh, it can be. I've gotten past SB blaze countless times. All you need is a little strategy. I'm pretty used to all the tricks and movesets of the OU tier so it's no wonder why I defeated you with my horrible team lol.