• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you like Gagmon Starters?

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
When I say Gagmon Starters I mean basically whatever you would want to call Piplup, Oshawott, Totodile, Chespin and Rowlet.

We've had a Starter like this for every Generation except Gen 1, Gen 3, and possibly Gen 8

Do you think they're necessary for the series? (Explain why)

Or do you just think that they're Annoying? (Explain why)

index.php

DatsRight

If by Gagmon you mean Pokémon with actual personality and fun to watch, well, yes. Because for example, what personality had Fennekin aside from "she doesn't like to get dirty" lol. Chespin was waaay more entertaining even if he wasn't a main battler.
True, I think the bigger problem was that whole segregation of 'badass' and 'comical' mon that happened in some series, where some stayed unevolved purely so they could stay as the comic relief padding, while others evolved and became more competent but at the cost of all their foibles and endearing qualities. By XY most of the main Pokemon had evolved for example, which meant they took up all the useful scenes but at the cost of most of their own quirks and interactions, meaning Chespin and Pancham were reduced to just doing their old gag over and over by XYZ.

I feel this was less an issue for Piplup and Rowlet for example, who were allowed to be comical AND competent recurrently and also kept interactions with lot of Pokemon besides just being the annoying comic relief dud of the group (especially in SM where most of the big mon were allowed to keep their old personalities and dynamics). In some cases the two traits were merged together quite nicely like Rowlet being the one to get Meltan for Ash and later motivating Meltan to evolve. That's a good sign when their funny chemistries actually have positive long term effect on the group dynamics and story.

Simply put I think it just depends on how much the writers appreciate their clowns. Clowns can still be very fun and three dimensional characters or they can just be worthless background comedy to the serious guys who get all the good stuff.

We've had a Starter like this for every Generation except Gen 1, Gen 3, and possibly Gen 8
Wouldn't Squirtle and Marshtomp sorta count? Sure they weren't used as bungling comedy excessively, but they were generally the light hearted members of the starters.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Considering the number of unnova pokemon i say oshowatt was well used also especially in early BW.
It was still a pretty shite battler though and the latter half of BW made him too annoying.
If by Gagmon you mean Pokémon with actual personality and fun to watch, well, yes. Because for example, what personality had Fennekin aside from "she doesn't like to get dirty" lol. Chespin was waaay more entertaining even if he wasn't a main battler.
My problem with Chespin is that his personality didnt feel unique and while it could be much fun in some scenes he doesnt end up doing anything. Atleast Pancham and Bunnelby had something going on for them
I dont mind Gagmons they are quite fun but when they exist just for the gag it gets annoying. Piplup and Rowlet also were competent enough with their personalities. Oshawott too was handled nice in the beginning until falling off later on. Tododile and Chespin never had anything going for them aside from the gags and the latter's gag wasnt really that unique anyway

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Piplup grew on me. I'll say the episode where he runs away after being fed up with Gible constantly draco meteoring his face really made me laugh in the bits where he had those daydreaming bits.

Oshawott is great. It really changed my opinion on the species.

Chespin was plain injustice. It should've been Ash's Pokémon. That's my major gripe with XY. What's league, shipping and continuity when they screw up my favorite starter? #giveashachespin

Neutral on Rowlett.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In some cases I could tolerate them. Waninoko was all right if he counts as a "gagmon", but Pochama, Mijumaru, and Harimaron tested my patience.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Piplup and Oshawott were very charming and genuinely funny on occasion; they were great. Rowlet was cute, though its gag got old often. Chespin though....something about Chespin just irked me. Whether it’s the design or the personality, I was just not a fan.

DatsRight

I have to ask though, why specifically only the starters in terms of Gagmon specifically?

I get that being the unevolved comic relief feels more wasteful for one of the main starter Pokemon, but even then, most of these guys got a better deal than the Pikaclones, or even the mythical/legendaries of their series.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Piplup was funny especially with the later added Gible gag. Oshawott is ok but I admit I’m kind of disappointed that its development stopped at opening its eyes to use Aqua Jet. Chespin & Rowlet were cute but I wish they evolved because I like their evolved forms. I’m glad that Journeys is balancing Cinderace as equally funny and having development in its previous stages.