• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you like mega evolution?

Do you like mega Evolution

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
And the fact that I can't quote properly has no impact on my argument.

If you ask me, there's no problem with the way you quoted before. Is there only one way quoting is supposed to be done?

MegaEvolution has no similarities to DigiEvolution. If anything it's more of the Pokémon going Super-Saiyan.

Mega Blaziken embodies that connection very well.

In all seriousness, I actually like Mega Evolution, but I feel like there's too much complaining about Pokemon who didn't need Mega getting a Mega. Yes, Mega Lucario, Garchomp, Blaziken, Scizor and numerous others didn't need to happen, but I still like some of them. Whether or not they needed it isn't a standard by which I want to judge a Mega completely, especially since competitive viability isn't the only reason for Mega Evolution (though admittedly a significant one). Even though it wasn't needed, Mega Blaziken is still my favorite Mega.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is Charizard and Mewtwo getting two Megas, though. Marketability or not, two Megas for any Pokemon seems like a bit much, even if it helps the former a lot in competitive.

The King of Ho-oh's

<---- Newest Shiny
I actually really like the idea of Mega-Evolutions. Gamefreak finally found a
way to combat power-creep and make breath some new life into
some of the older gens. However (to be honest) I REALLY hate some of
the designs and who they chose to give them to. Specifically Mega-Trike
and Mega-Ampharos. Seriously why not just give Manectric an evolution? That baffles me.

I don't really understand the absolute hatred people have for them. You don't have to use them and
aside from Mega-Khan and Mega-Gengar (which are banned anyway) none are over powered. And when
it comes to people complaining about the amount of new pokemon, why do you want the filler pokes so
bad? This is the first gen they have really stepped up and cut out the Qwilfish and Girafarig crap.

I don't know which Gen you started playing Pokemon, but I am a fan since R/B/Y times and played all the next generations, but this time GF really screwed the game. For the first time I got disappointed with Pokemon, not only the new metagame we must get used to, but all the things that makes the series have the few sense it has always had.

Am I sensing some nostalgia-elitism? ;) There are plenty of people who enjoy the megas and have
been here since the start. Honestly I feel the only gen Gamefreak has bombed was 4th (and some of)
the 5th. Just terrible legendary designs. They look like 3d renderings of Mad Libs.

Ditto B1tch

I'm sure the game has some sort of explanation for why Mega Evos exist, so they do make some sense. Some.
We certainly needed them. Imagine somebody using Charizard or Blastoise without Mega Evolution.
And the fact that I can't quote properly has no impact on my argument.
Oh you serious? We have been using non-Mega Charizard and Blastoise for 17 years!

I said you to learn to quote because that makes it easier to read.

MegaEvolution has no similarities to DigiEvolution. If anything it's more of the Pokémon going Super-Saiyan.

Or maybe because after Gen V, we do not need 100+ Pokémon every generation.

The Pokémon formula is always changing, Gen II introduced breeding, two new types and genders, Gen III introduced Doubles, Gen IV introduced the physical/special split and Gen V introduced Hidden abilities. This Gen showcases a new type and a new type of evolution.
Changing, but keeping the standards. In Gen VI, Pokemon world concepts were harshly redesigned like never before.

And of course we need 100+ Pokemons per generation. What's the problem of fillers? The enviroments need the weak ones, don't they? Oh, I forgot you're too kid to wish sense in the stuff you play

Seriously why not just give Manectric an evolution?
Yeah, why not? And Kangaskhan's baby... will it never become a specie?

GF doesn't care about things making sense in Pokemon series, that's why they introduced Mega-Evolutions. And they don't care because this game is directed to kids and kids usually don't look for sense in the things

ebevan91

No.

Put emphasis on the "No."

Sckewi

I dislike Mega Evolution. :/ Normal evolution should be special enough on it's own without the need for Mega Evolution as well. Of course, I haven't bought X or Y yet, and probably a few weeks into playing them I'll feel the opposite way lol. xD

It's fine, I don't mind either way. Some I like, some I dislike.

TerraRae

I do enjoy the Mega Evolutions, I found they added new visual interest to the game, something that I hadn't found in previous generations. I kind of agree with the strife over some of the already OU Pokes getting Mega Evolutions but it didn't take away from the "wow" value for me, seeing it the first time and getting to use it on my own in battles.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'm pretty neutral towards them, personally. I think I feel the same way that most do. I'm fine with the idea and like that adds an extra layer of depth to the metagame, but they probably could have picked better Pokemon to give Megas to. But at the same time, I understand that the first generation utilizing something like this isn't going to be perfect and think it'll get better if/when they introduce new Megas.

Tonguetyd

Oh you serious? We have been using non-Mega Charizard and Blastoise for 17 years!

Yeah, but in those 17 years they were very ineffective.
Lots of people like Charizard and Blastoise, so Mega Evolution gives them the possibility of playing with their favorites and still being efficient.

Firebrand

Indomitable
On the whole I don't like them. I feel like some mega recipients would have benefited far more from straight up evolution and, being an even-numbered gen, now would have been the time to do it. I also don't particularly like that because we got 30-odd mega forms, we suffered a dearth of new Kalos species. Argue that having just 70 makes things better, but I felt that for all its aesthetic beauty, Kalos was fairly bare-bones as far as far as pokemon went. I guess I was in the minority in that I liked having so many new species to choose from in BW and no old pokemon to get in the way. Even though it was kind of nice seeing so many familiar faces going through the game this time around, I felt that the old pokemon choked out the newer ones. Especially as you got further in the game, routes became more populated by older pokemon, and the native Kalosian ones were given uncommon or rare encounter rates.

And while I agree that we had a lot of legendary pokemon to go with, I mourn the loss of a lesser trio this generation. I always liked seeking them out.

On the whole, I think I'm not too far off in blaming mega evolutions for this so... yeah. I'm not a big fan of a lot of them, and those I do like tend to just be stat jumps for pokemon who could have used them as a normal evolution anyway.

Hidden Power

How can something that affects the game and adds new depth to its playability be "pointless?"

Just asking..

Where did it add new depth and playability to the game? If anything, Mega evolutions are one of the most predictable aspect in a battle.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
And of course we need 100+ Pokemons per generation.
No we don't. We have 718 Pokémon with different move sets, types, abilities and stat distributions. Adding 100+ new Pokémon would be extremely tedious for Gamefreak and would shorten their longevity. Why not save some Pokémon concepts for future generations rather than cramming all of them into one? Plus you have to think of names for all the Pokémon in a variety of languages.
Oh, I forgot you're too kid to wish sense in the stuff you play
That's nice.
And Kangaskhan's baby... will it never become a specie?
Kangaskhan's Japanese classification is the "Parent and Child Pokémon" meaning they may be one single entity.
GF doesn't care about things making sense in Pokemon series, that's why they introduced Mega-Evolutions. And they don't care because this game is directed to kids and kids usually don't look for sense in the things
That's nice.

Kalosian

So long
Yes, I like them a lot. I was a bit sceptical first as with most new things, but I grew to like them with time. I didn't like some of the designs at first either but as with everything, they grew on me as well. I like the idea of giving old and less useful Pokemon new chances to shine with Mega Evolutions, hoping to see more of them in the future.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
No, as I have said before, I believe that the only Pokémon who deserve a Mega evolution are the ones with three-stage evolutions and Legndaries.* Houndoom, Absol, Banette, Pinsir, Mawhile, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Scizor, Heracross, Medicham, Lucario and Abamasnow all deserved to have had that Mega forme as a full-fledged evolution.

*Special exception for Kangaskhan because it's "Mega Evolution" is the purely a gimmick... though it really could have been caused by a different means.

Firebrand

Indomitable
No, as I have said before, I believe that the only Pokémon who deserve a Mega evolution are the ones with three-stage evolutions and Legndaries.* Houndoom, Absol, Banette, Pinsir, Mawhile, Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Scizor, Heracross, Medicham, Lucario and Abamasnow all deserved to have had that Mega forme as a full-fledged evolution.

*Special exception for Kangaskhan because it's "Mega Evolution" is the purely a gimmick... though it really could have been caused by a different means.

Agree to a point, but I would disagree on Gyarados, Scizor, Abomasnow and Lucario (and possibly Medicham). I think all of those can stand well enough on their own as final evolutions, though perhaps not going toe-to-toe with Ubers.

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
I really like the concept, and some of the Pokemon that got them could have really used the boost. It wasn't a necessary change, per-say, but it was a useful one. The designs (for the most part, sans a few) are also really nice, too.

Then again, some things like Mewtwo didn't need one, and got one anyway. And then there's the whole all the Kanto starters (and Charizard got two) and Blaziken getting one, but none of the others. I hope that'll be changed in the future, otherwise it's sort of unfair on those that didn't get them compared to those that did. At least the rest of the Hoenn starters, GF...

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I liked the concept, yet i disliked most of them, at least astheticaly...spikes and fur everywhere...
Thenones i would say i loved would be mawile, gyarados and bannete since they actually seemed to give that sense of progresions the other ones lack.

Having sais that i end up using houndoom, mawile and pinsir the most, since they somehiw keep a niche in the game.
I would love to see more of this...but i really hope they dont pull another "angry chihuahua" gengar, "rockstar" absol or "Yoga Flame" medicham.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I like mega evolution, but I would probably feel better if they were all banned from tournaments. Not that they shouldn't be used at all, but, considering their stat totals, I can't help but feel their just too good.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Which X and Y doesn't prevent.

Changing, but keeping the standards. In Gen VI, Pokemon world concepts were harshly redesigned like never before.
What are you talking about? We got Malimar!

And of course we need 100+ Pokemons per generation. What's the problem of fillers? The enviroments need the weak ones, don't they?
There is no such thing as the Johto Mandate. It's a myth.

Yeah, why not? And Kangaskhan's baby... will it never become a specie?
When will we get that filler Pokemon? Hey, we've been playing non-baby battle Kangaskhan for 17 years!

You can read the minds of Game Freak. Tell me, what is Masuda's favorite number?
Game Funk don care about us. It is in there primary mindset.

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
Personally, I don't mind Mega Evolution, but since it became a part of the game mechanics, why is it not featured more in the main story line? The only place where it is really used is with Diantha and Lysandre.
Also, some of the designs were waaaay overdone. The pokemon started sprouting spikes and extra fur and ruffs, and some look ridiculous, IMO.
Mega Gyrados looks like it had its butt chopped off. Why is it not elongated, and why does it just end in a stump? Aerodactyl has too many spikes and is rocking the rock-beard, Manetric looks top heavy, and Abomasnow looks like it stepped in front of a blow-dryer and all its hair refroze.

Status
Not open for further replies.