• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you like mega evolution?

Do you like mega Evolution

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto B1tch

No we don't. We have 718 Pokémon with different move sets, types, abilities and stat distributions. Adding 100+ new Pokémon would be extremely tedious for Gamefreak and would shorten their longevity. Why not save some Pokémon concepts for future generations rather than cramming all of them into one? Plus you have to think of names for all the Pokémon in a variety of languages.

That's nice.

Kangaskhan's Japanese classification is the "Parent and Child Pokémon" meaning they may be one single entity.

That's nice.
No need to "save Pokemons" for future generation, that's ridiculous.

By the time GF needs new Pokemons for a new Generation, they'll create... unless they're running out of ideas.

Yeah, but in those 17 years they were very ineffective.
Lots of people like Charizard and Blastoise, so Mega Evolution gives them the possibility of playing with their favorites and still being efficient.
They were not. Better Pokemons appeared, just that.

Also, some of the designs were waaaay overdone. The pokemon started sprouting spikes and extra fur and ruffs, and some look ridiculous, IMO.
Mega Gyrados looks like it had its butt chopped off. Why is it not elongated, and why does it just end in a stump? Aerodactyl has too many spikes and is rocking the rock-beard, Manetric looks top heavy, and Abomasnow looks like it stepped in front of a blow-dryer and all its hair refroze.
Excactly, how can people like that?

Last edited:

thetamale

No. The Pokemon that needed them should have had actual evolutions but most Pokemon that got them didn't need them it was just a popularity contest.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
To clarify, I said earlier they could have chosen better Pokemon to get Megas. I stand by that, but I can understand why they gave Megas to some "overpowered" Pokemon. That's the extra layer of strategy I mentioned earlier. You can decide whether to give a Pokemon a Mega Stone or something else. Do you give your Alakazam the Alakazamite for more power or something like Focus Sash so that it can survive a hit, to borrow an example I saw from YouTube? You can even play mind games with your opponent similar to Zoroark. For example, I saw a Wi-Fi battle where one person had two potential Megas on their team. One Pokemon had a nickname to make people think it was the Mega, and the other one turned out to be the Mega. It's stuff like that that adds that extra layer of strategy and unpredictability to the metagame. Just because a Pokemon has a Mega doesn't mean you're forced to use it. If you don't like it, don't use it. Find some other way to make it useful.

Looking back at older posts, I guess that's essentially what Tonguetyed said.

Excactly, how can people like that?
Simple. We all have different philosophical definitions of beauty. What may look beautiful or awesome or whatever to one person may look completely stupid to somebody else. For example, I don't see much love for Mega Gyarados except competitively, but it's one of my favorite Megas because it's the closest thing to a Chinese dragon Pokemon we have, as far as I can tell.

SKyLineR32

Master Weasel
Simple. We all have different philosophical definitions of beauty. What may look beautiful or awesome or whatever to one person may look completely stupid to somebody else. For example, I don't see much love for Mega Gyarados except competitively, but it's one of my favorite Megas because it's the closest thing to a Chinese dragon Pokemon we have, as far as I can tell.

In addition, some people, like me, don't really care how a Pokemon's Mega Evolution looks. It would be a different story if it was permanent, but it's not. But I will say Mega Mawile's design is my favorite.

Last edited:

Penguinist Trainer

I like them, but I think they were under utilized. I don't like the idea of using the stones either. I think it would have been better if a couple criteria was implemented.
a.) All Pokemon had some type of Mega Evolution. If only final forms have it, it prevents certain pokemon from getting future evolutions.
b.) The way that it's been showcased, Pokemon could only call upon it in great need, so I think if a Pokemon's HP gets below 25%, then it would be able to Mega evolve for a final last ditch strike against an opponent.
c.) Pokemon/Trainer friendship level has to be above a certain level. It'd be ridiculous if a freshly caught Caterpie with 2 HPs would mega evolve to "protect" his trainer if they just met.
d.) In the same manner that a Pokemon will disobey you if you don't have a certain badge, a pokemon should be able to refuse to mega evolve if it's trainer can't handle the added boost of power.

If the mega evolutions were done somewhat like that, I think they would have been a great addition to the series rather than just another gimmick to hide the fact that they didn't even bother creating enough new Pokemon to fill a pokedex (69 total new).

Tonguetyd

They were not. Better Pokemons appeared, just that.

Being outclassed makes you ineffective.
Heck, Blastoise and Zard were ineffective from the get-go. Even in the first gen, Blastoise was outclassed by Starmie, Slowbro, Cloyster and Lapras, while Charizard had its six billion crippling weaknesses.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
why would you not like mega evolution, unless your a genwunner of corse. and they suck. It adds a whole lot the the game and competitive meta and makes it more interesting. Mega evolution has allowed some previously unviable pokemon in ou like charizard viable again (so genwunners SHUT UP) and no way are they all overpowered. mega lucario and gengar and kangasksahn are sure but the others are fine. I dont know why people whine. and yes, i know about digimon and the burst mode, but i still think mega evolution is a very good idea. Competetive pokemon will never be the same again, and this change was for the better.

Hidden Power

Being outclassed makes you ineffective.
Heck, Blastoise and Zard were ineffective from the get-go. Even in the first gen, Blastoise was outclassed by Starmie, Slowbro, Cloyster and Lapras, while Charizard had its six billion crippling weaknesses.

I. Most Pokemon with semi-decent stats are already effective in-game.

2. You spoke as if the concept of Mega evolutions solves the issue of ineffectiveness from being outclassed. It doesn't. There will always be a hierarchy in the metagame, something will have to take up the lower tiers.

why would you not like mega evolution, unless your a genwunner of corse. and they suck. It adds a whole lot the the game and competitive meta and makes it more interesting. Mega evolution has allowed some previously unviable pokemon in ou like charizard viable again (so genwunners SHUT UP) and no way are they all overpowered. mega lucario and gengar and kangasksahn are sure but the others are fine. I dont know why people whine. and yes, i know about digimon and the burst mode, but i still think mega evolution is a very good idea. Competetive pokemon will never be the same again, and this change was for the better.

1. It adds nothing to the metagame that a new item or a normal evolution couldn't. If anything, Pokemon with decent Mega evolutions become more predictable since it's the only route they can take. You don't even have to guess what item the Pokemon is holding or what role it's playing, since you know it's holding its mega stone and not a choice item, or a berry, or lefties.

2. It made previously viable Pokemon less viable because now they're 'outclassed'. It's a never-ending circle of events.

3. It's an inefficient way of adding new layers to the metagame. Compare mega evolutions to a new item like Assault Vest. The former is only applicable to an individual Pokemon who receives it. The latter is instantaneously a viable option for several Pokemon who may now add it to their list of possible set up. And it doesn't even require new 3D models and animations.

4. It doesn't live up to the expectation of evolution in Pokemon. Evolution is always an upgrade; you never have to look back. Yet the need to hold the mega stone meant that some Pokemon have to be weighed against what they could do with other held items instead, because some of the Megas are just not as outstanding. Already we have a couple of those among the current batch.

5. The limit of one mega per slot automatically means that some Megas would be selected more often than the others. Yes, in OU battles you can use everything from OU tier AND below. But would you sacrifice that one slot for a M-Gengar, M-Lucario etc, or a M-Manetric, M-Aggron?

6. It's a mega wasted potential for Pokemon that could have gone for a third stage evolution first. Mega evolutions add a flat 100 points of stats. Why would a 2-stage Pokemon NOT want to go for a normal evolution, then get a M-evolution later on so that you get more stats added overall?

Last edited:

Mega Typhlosion

They made some of my favorite Pokémon get new power and new uses, so what's not to like? Plus Mega Absol and Mega Houndoom look so cool...

@Hidden Power, you're just pointing out the negatives about Mega Evolution in competitive play. You forget the positives, and you forget not everyone plays competitive OU smogon tiers. Some people play outside of smogon and surprise, some play for fun. So no, Megas are not pointless. And I won't agree on you on they being pointless competitively either.

Last edited:

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins

2. You spoke as if the concept of Mega evolutions solves the issue of ineffectiveness from being outclassed. It doesn't. There will always be a hierarchy in the metagame, something will have to take up the lower tiers.

1. It adds nothing to the metagame that a new item or a normal evolution couldn't. If anything, Pokemon with decent Mega evolutions become more predictable since it's the only route they can take. You don't even have to guess what item the Pokemon is holding or what role it's playing, since you know it's holding its mega stone and not a choice item, or a berry, or lefties.

2. It made previously viable Pokemon less viable because now they're 'outclassed'. It's a never-ending circle of events.

3. It's an inefficient way of adding new layers to the metagame. Compare mega evolutions to a new item like Assault Vest. The former is only applicable to an individual Pokemon who receives it. The latter is instantaneously a viable option for several Pokemon who may now add it to their list of possible set up. And it doesn't even require new 3D models and animations.

4. It doesn't live up to the expectation of evolution in Pokemon. Evolution is always an upgrade; you never have to look back. Yet the need to hold the mega stone meant that some Pokemon have to be weighed against what they could do with other held items instead, because some of the Megas are just not as outstanding. Already we have a couple of those among the current batch.

5. The limit of one mega per slot automatically means that some Megas would be selected more often than the others. Yes, in OU battles you can use everything from OU tier AND below. But would you sacrifice that one slot for a M-Gengar, M-Lucario etc, or a M-Manetric, M-Aggron?

6. It's a mega wasted potential for Pokemon that could have gone for a third stage evolution first. Mega evolutions add a flat 100 points of stats. Why would a 2-stage Pokemon NOT want to go for a normal evolution, then get a M-evolution later on so that you get more stats added overall?
um...

you dont understand how much it adds to the meta. it adds more than a single item or pokemon due to the sheer fact you have no clue which pokemon on the opponents team is a mega if they have 2 pokemon capable of doing so. This adds a ton as alot more skill is needed and prediction becomes more importent then ever.

One slot makes it very interesting. i mean srls. pretty much for the same reason above. Some may get used than others, but what the hell does that mean? is it REALLY a problem is 1 pokemon is used than another?

unfortunetly for you, you fail to realize a new item (unless it gave like SR immunity) wasnt gonna make Charizard useable in ou without better options being there. it certainly may only apply to certain pokemon, but that just makes it more interesting. is that Gyarados a bulky fazer set, or is it a mega? is that Garchomp scarfed, or a mega? it adds a crap ton.

pokemon becoming outclassed an unviable? that happens all the time at the start of every gen! and they are still viable, as they dont take up a mega slot.

now i must disagree with you when you say that it doesnt live up to evolution and is a waste of potential. its not. id like to see a pinsir evo as good as mega pinsir. was that a waste of potential? NO. I can think of 1 example of waste of potential. arydactly. thats about it really.

Tonguetyd

Mega Evolution does fix the concept of being outclassed for Blastoise and Zard, which is a good thing because many people like those pokemon and like using them. And in-game, anything goes.

Hidden Power

They made some of my favorite Pokémon get new power and new uses, so what's not to like? Plus Mega Absol and Mega Houndoom look so cool...

@Hidden Power, you're just pointing out the negatives about Mega Evolution in competitive play. You forget the positives, and you forget not everyone plays competitive OU smogon tiers. Some people play outside of smogon and surprise, some play for fun. So no, Megas are not pointless. And I won't agree on you on they being pointless competitively either.

I mentioned OU smogon tiers because it rules out the most broken of all Pokemon in the list. If you're talking about 'outside of smogon', sure. Bring on M-Blaziken and M-Kangaskhan, which are even more value for slot. And I'm sure the positive aspects have already been mentioned by the majority of those who are in favor of Mega evolution; the negative points are here to put things into perspective.

Mega Evolution does fix the concept of being outclassed for Blastoise and Zard, which is a good thing because many people like those pokemon and like using them. And in-game, anything goes.

That's exactly what Mega evolution makes a decent mechanic right? To make popular Pokemon outclass the rest.

um...

you dont understand how much it adds to the meta. it adds more than a single item or pokemon due to the sheer fact you have no clue which pokemon on the opponents team is a mega if they have 2 pokemon capable of doing so. This adds a ton as alot more skill is needed and prediction becomes more importent then ever.

The only real concern when a Pokemon mega evolves is when it plays a drastically different role from its previous form, which honestly only refers to Gengar. So yes, you're partially right, I would worry if I see Gengar along with another Pokemon that could Mega evolve. For every other pairing that doesn't include Gengar, does it matter? Most of them gain more bulk primarily, and your strategy in dealing with them would not have been vastly different.

And when Assault Vest was added, I don't think you would have a clue whether a certain Pokemon could be holding it or any other item either. See the difference in impact? One single item, no fancy graphics and animation, but beneficial to multiple pokes.

One slot makes it very interesting. i mean srls. pretty much for the same reason above. Some may get used than others, but what the hell does that mean? is it REALLY a problem is 1 pokemon is used than another?

It's not a problem, but it's definitely not a benefit of mega evolution as a whole.

unfortunetly for you, you fail to realize a new item (unless it gave like SR immunity) wasnt gonna make Charizard useable in ou without better options being there. it certainly may only apply to certain pokemon, but that just makes it more interesting. is that Gyarados a bulky fazer set, or is it a mega? is that Garchomp scarfed, or a mega? it adds a crap ton.

Since when is the purpose of Mega evolution 'to make Pokemon viable in OU'? It can't be done with every Pokemon. If your opinion is along the line of "Mega evolutions makes my favorite Pokemon OU", that's great and all. But it's definitely not a general benefit of Mega evolutions.

It only adds that option for 28 Pokemon. A single new item could do the same for more than that. "Is it Choice scarf, Choice banded, life orbed? Is it holding a lum berry?"

pokemon becoming outclassed an unviable? that happens all the time at the start of every gen! and they are still viable, as they dont take up a mega slot.

The point was that people think Mega evolution is a good mechanics because it makes certain Pokemon more viable, but since like you said, Pokemon getting outclassed happens all the time, I don't see why it's a benefit that only Mega evolution can confer. Normal evolution does the same thing. In fact, Game Freak could even retcon old stats, abilities and type if they wanted to. Or add a entirely new Pokemon line to fit the role.

now i must disagree with you when you say that it doesnt live up to evolution and is a waste of potential. its not. id like to see a pinsir evo as good as mega pinsir. was that a waste of potential? NO. I can think of 1 example of waste of potential. arydactly. thats about it really.

Pinsir could go for an evolution first, gain some stats from it, then go for the exact same mega evolution with that exact 100 points in stats gain, overall gaining more than a 100 points. Unless you have issues with arithmetic it's a win-win situation for Pinsir.

Unless you can mention something that makes me think "Wow, no other current mechanics could do that" that surpasses the flaws I've mentioned, I don't think I see the need to change my stance.

Last edited:

Dodoman

Total newbie
I like it but I'd love to see Dragonite with it's Dragoniteite

Hidden Power

No, to make pokemon people like and want to use be actually useful.

Is it something not achievable by means of new items, moves, abilities and/or normal evolutions? How much new content does Mega evolution actually bring to the table, when put into perspective of current mechanics?

Tonguetyd

Is it something not achievable by means of new items, moves, abilities and/or normal evolutions? How much new content does Mega evolution actually bring to the table, when put into perspective of current mechanics?

Actually I believe the metagame benefits from Mega Evolution. More better pokemon equals more pokemon to choose from.
I believe this would be the best option for fully evolved pokemon, since they can't have any more evolutions.
On pokemon that could still evolve, there's actually not a whole lot of reasons. I guess they wanted to give that mechanic to other pokemon as well.

But what would I know? After all, I don't have the drug stash to be a game developer.

Hidden Power

Actually I believe the metagame benefits from Mega Evolution. More better pokemon equals more pokemon to choose from.
I believe this would be the best option for fully evolved pokemon, since they can't have any more evolutions.
On pokemon that could still evolve, there's actually not a whole lot of reasons. I guess they wanted to give that mechanic to other pokemon as well.

But what would I know? After all, I don't have the drug stash to be a game developer.

Technically speaking, there won't be more better Pokemon to choose from, since everything is relative. In fact, if every Pokemon family gets a Mega evolution, we'll still be at where we are right now; a certain proportion of Pokemon being better than the rest. Either way, the metagame would have benefited as much from an expanded list if there were 28 new Pokemon or evolutions of old Pokemon.

Retro-Chaos X

Psychic Aficionado
Of course. It is a cool new feature that is very fun. The best thing about it is that it gives Pokemon who were faulted competitively in previous gens another shot - now Pinsir, Gardevoir and Charizard can possibly be used in OU :D

Status
Not open for further replies.