• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you like mega evolution?

Do you like mega Evolution

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I do, but it feels like they gave megas to Pokemon I actually forget have a mega form...

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
If all of generation one got mega stones then all the other starters should ahve as well. Maybe in time, but overall I do like the variance that Mega Evoltion gives to competitive (even if only ~5 of them seem to be used).

Aerolyte

Shiny Raichu
The only mega evolutions i like are
Blastoise
Charizard x and y (only shiny though)
Tyranitar

All the other ones... ehh... bad choices much?

They couldve made them better

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
I like the concept, but I hate how they only gave it to already strong pokemon!!! D:

Zivinolette

Livin' The Dream
I definitely love the idea of mega evolution and I think Pokemon, like Pinsir and Heracross, definitely benefited stat wise. Looks however some looks very awesome like Houndoom and Mawile but others kinda look ridiculous. But yeah, idk if the starters really needed mega evolutions... Kinda defeats the look that a majority of us grew up with, ya know? All in all, it has its benefits but also it's downsides.

Snorlax Max

While Supplies Last!
I hate the concept mainly because besides MegaBlastoise and Majinn Buutwo, I don't like the mega's aesthetics. When I first saw MegaManectric I thought it was a screenshot of ingame lag. Oh how I facepalm'd when I found out otherwise.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I personally don't, it's way too overpowering.

Only three Megas are overpowered, MegaLucario, MegaGengar and MegaKangaskhan. Is there any particular reason why people think Pokémon like Garchomp didn't deserve one? I rather use normal Blaziken over its Mega since Blaziken can still wreck shït without wasting a MegaSlot.

I like the idea, it keeps the series fresh and adds something new to the competitive scene.

Nikomajor

*Psystrike*
I like Mega Evolution for the fact that it bought old pokemon back to life, but a few of them like Kangaskan became a bit to overpowered. Also some of the pokemon that were chosen to be megas don't appeal to me

KamenAeons

Demon Legion (◕‿◕✿)
Only three Megas are overpowered, MegaLucario, MegaGengar and MegaKangaskhan. Is there any particular reason why people think Pokémon like Garchomp didn't deserve one? I rather use normal Blaziken over its Mega since Blaziken can still wreck shït without wasting a MegaSlot.

I like the idea, it keeps the series fresh and adds something new to the competitive scene.

Maybe because they think that having scythes rather than hands looked weird af.
I actually like using it. It has wonderful synergy with a Sand Streamer. And the fact that Rock/Ground/Steel actually provides decent coverage and only requiring perhaps a Fire or Dragon move to finish off the set makes it awesome.

The only downsides I've seen are how it loses Rough Skin/ Sand Veil as well as losing that tiny bit of Speed, leading it to get outsped by a fair bit of the metagame.

Timmyzzz

K-Pop and Pokemon<3
I also like the idea of it, but the distribution is really bad. Hopefully Gamefreak secretly inserted Mega Evolutions for all the starters and some underrated Pokemon and distribute it through an event like the Torchic. :|

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Eh, can't vote b/c I'm in the middle

On one hand, ME is a new piece to the competitive game and it definitely brings up some interesting combinations as well as use some pokemon that haven't seen much of the light of day in competitive play. There are some who have been in the meta a lot anyway *cough* Garchomp, Alakazam *cough*, but it does add a new strategy element to it.

On the other hand, I can't help but want actual evolutions for most of these pokemon. Bannette, Mawile, maybe Lucario, Heracross (but not as creepy), Pinser, the list goes on. It's kind of sad knowing we'll probably never have a next stage of evolution for any of these pokemon.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
I like Mega Evolutions, I just wish more Pokémon had them... :/

Is there any particular reason why people think Pokémon like Garchomp didn't deserve one? I rather use normal Blaziken over its Mega since Blaziken can still wreck shït without wasting a MegaSlot

Because Garchomp was already powerful to start with. People wanted Mega Evolutions to improve certain Pokémon that needed improvement. (It worked out for Mawile. xD)

Using any Mega wastes the Mega slot. Is that a good reason? :p If you'd rather not have Life Orb recoil, while still being able to wreck stuff, or if you're playing with item clause and want something else to use that Life Orb, you'll use Mega Blaziken.

Last edited:
I don't like them, they're too strong.

However I do understand that balancing the game by giving simple nerfs would be hard to acheive either.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
I don't like it. It strikes me very much like those ideas by little kids who think that a 'super-version' of a Pokemon is cool, so when I first heard of it, it seemed way too fanservicey for me. The designs aren't so good either - admittedly, some aren't so bad (like Mawile and Kangaskhan), but a lot of them seem to be either slapping new features onto the Pokemon or exaggerating old features with no sense of logical progression as to what making the Pokemon stronger would actually lead to. I mean... how does Heracross, a beetle-like creature, make you think of giving it air-vents of all things?

That, and Mega Evolution doesn't seem to fit with the Pokemon universe as a whole. A lot of the pre-existing Pokemon with forms had a reason for being that way - for example, Castform changes with the weather around it, Deoxys is a virus and so mutates a lot, Meloetta represents both forms of musical interaction. Mega Evolutions, by being slapped on to pre-existing Pokemon, have no thematic significance and so just feel like a super-powered form for the sake of a super-powered form. It's as close to a fourth evolution as they can get, really (I guess I should be glad that at least it isn't a fourth evolution...). The method seems off, as well, with the Mega Stones and Mega Rings. It isn't really clear why they exist in the context of the Pokemon world, so Mega Evolution feels even more out of place.

...And for all my griping, I think it was also poorly implemented. Literally only about 20 Pokemon out of 300+ evolutionary families get forms. There should be at least twice as many, in my opinion, to get a real feeling of balance. As it is now, it has a weird combination of focusing too much on the really popular Pokemon and having too many random Pokemon that feel like odd choices for this sort of thing. If there were more, it wouldn't feel like such a privilege to have one and so it wouldn't feel so weird. And Charizard should have definitely not had two, it's way too unfair to the other Kanto starters.

I know it's a lot of complaining, but really I just feel like Mega Evolutions are such a silly and sloppy concept.

Last edited:

Ditto B1tch

Being a fan since Gen I, I disliked a lot of the Mega-Evolutions because they started to exist all of sudden.

What's the difference of giving a normal evolution to a Pokemon than a Mega-Evolution? A Mega-Evolution will make it look monstruous, ridiculous, lot of spikes, mega-hair etc and the worse is that it is temporary. At the end of the battle you notice that your Pokemon is still crappy as it was before, like in Digimon...

Because of that, "evolution" term is inappropriate as "Mega-Evolution" is temporary and as far as Pokemon series has being known, evolution was when a Pokemon reach a stage and stay in there forever. Not only including them is dumb as the term GF chose also makes no sense, but the simple fact they included them is enough to show us that GF don't care about things making sense.

It's sad that GF decided to include Mega-Evolutions. Ideas that should be saved for pre-evo or evolutions for previous Pokemons are from now on going to be used on these crappy Mega-Evolutions. It's not by random the low ammount of Pokemons we had included in Gen VI, it was really disappointing.

Some will say they wanted to bring old Pokemons back... but WHAT THE F..., if you want old Pokemons back, just make them available in the routes! It is so simple. What are GF designers eating in the breakfast??? It is really sad to see how the series is heading... Loving all the additions for 5 generations, by the first time I really got disappointed with Pokemon...

PS.: If you want a serious discussion, ignore the last option on the next polls you create.

For the most part, I'm 'meh' about them.

It is neat that my favorite Pokemon (Lucario) got one. The rest of them? I don't absolutely love/hate them in any major way.

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
Same here. I don't really care for them one way or the other. Blastoise's Mega ability bites, because, other than Water Pulse, you have to breed for egg moves to make Mega Launcher worthwhile. Hope they bring back move tutors in Pokemon Z (if there is one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.