• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do You Like Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xuxuba

For me it's complicated, as i didn't really spend money on the game, but got to play it anyway, so my opinions are a bit nicer than they'd normally be.

Overall, I truly enjoyed the game for 10 hours or so, especially when exploring the Underground and that is more than what i can say for LGEP and SwSh. Sinnoh has a lot of side features that are able to keep you entertained when you are tired of battling. However, it reaches a point where you get barely any incentive to keep doing them, so you end up going back to the main goal and being ultimately disappointed by how little they added or changed to the originals in order to justify yet another playthrough.

First of all, i gotta say, Gen 4 is my favorite gen, but that's mainly because of Platinum and HGSS. Overall, DP had a series of problems that made it simply impossible for me to enjoy them, as the game was laggy and slow, the selection of pokemon available was extremely limited even for popular types like fire; the dialogue was shallow to an extreme; characters didn't feel real at all; the story made no sense without both legendaries; the lore was poorly explored without Looker and Cynthia actually doing something to find out what was going on; the visuals were from the greatest, even for a 2d pokémon game (especially the backgrounds) and there was an overwhelming amount of random trainers with uninteresting teams using the same pokémon as hundred of others that took way to long to beat as they were bulky and the HP bar slow.

BDSP had the opportunity to fix these problems, they even had Platinum as a great example on how to improve the region. And the remakes did fix a few of them, like the laggy gameplay, the barely distinguishable backgrounds, the obrigatory HM slaves and the slow HP bar. Yet they still kept most of them and even introduced new ones, as now it's a lot harder not to overlevel on certain parts, contests and secret bases lost part of what made them special and a bunch of bugs and visual glitches appeared.

Even the few additions it did have were rather underwhelming. Trainer customization was barely present, there was only one clothing store and about 6 or so styles that you could not even mix and match. Walking pokémon are not even visible for the most part, they are glitchy, slow and erratic, which is kinda disappointing after having to go through so many cities and routes just to be able to use this feature.

The Underground dungeons are great and collecting items is even better now with the statues' boxes, but the dungeons truly didn't improve the selection of pokémon as much as it could have. Nearly all of the pokémon that you'd want from there are either version exclusives or only obtainable after you received National Dex. Surely, they could have made at least Magby, Togepi, Gligar and Murkrow available for both versions and obtainable before the National dex, as we barely have fire, fairy, ground and dark type availabes. Is including a bunch of version exclusives or copying the originals more important than making the game enjoyable by allowing players to choose other pokémon that aren't a freaking Ponyta?

Anyway, i also think they could have added the statues without removing the decorating aspect of the secret bases, which is part of what made them special in the first place. If your main goal is to stay loyal to the originals, then why remove fun, optional features?

The same goes for Contests. I can understand not being able to dress your pokémon as it would be much harder with 3d models. But they could have kept the rhytimic game without removing the strategy behind the appeal round. You can't even say it's for making things faster when now you have to grind for rankings. Do we even need that many rankings to begin with when most of them don't reward you with anything not even ribbons? Hell, reduce the rankings, make both rounds shorter and remove that stupid star system if you have to, but don't remove the move combination aspect completely,. It doesn't even feel like Contests anymore. If anything that is what Pokémon Musicals should have been and not actual Contests, which were supposed to show off all of your pokémon's moves, regardless of how strong they actually were in battle. It was literally the main point of the feature...
Also, for goodness sake, add some incentive to playing the damn thing, like the PokéAthlon, Mantine surf, Voltorb Flip and other minigames did. Doesn't need to be something big, but at the very least have the fans hand you a few useful items like ORAS' Contests did...

That said, i still enjoyed the games more than i thought i would. Mainly due to the Underground being so fun, even with it's flaws. The graphics looked a bit better than on videos. As for the battles, there were definetly trainers that desperately needed a team change to shake things up or offer some challenge other than spamming the same move over and over again, but fortunately a few of them still put up a great fight, like Maylene.

Overall, i would give it a 7.5. Not a bad grade, but considering that we probably ain't visiting Sinnoh again for a long time if ever, it makes me kinda sad that they didn't take more improvements from Platinum or at least had a substitute for them...

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Then you are not a real pokemon fan.
Hey, man. I didn’t really enjoy BD/SP. Doesn’t mean I, or Xuxuba are any less Pokémon fans because of it. If you want to have a discussion on why you enjoyed BD/SP, that’s great. But don’t berate people because they don’t agree with you.

Zadent

Yeah. I may not think it’s the best post, and doesn’t really give room to talk about it like the following one has a lot of great points that elaborate problem areas. But that doesn’t mean we can call people not real fans. (My love of Pokémon was questioned by someone just because I’m a bit more negative of the loop of Legends as it’s not my thing. It’s not fun being on the other end)

Teravolt

Yeah. I may not think it’s the best post, and doesn’t really give room to talk about it like the following one has a lot of great points that elaborate problem areas. But that doesn’t mean we can call people not real fans. (My love of Pokémon was questioned by someone just because I’m a bit more negative of the loop of Legends as it’s not my thing. It’s not fun being on the other end)
Amen to that! From my personal experience, I’ve seen people be called “Nintendo/GF shills” because they enjoyed Legends: Arceus. Let people enjoy the games. The reason we’re on Serebii Forums in the first place is so we can chat about Pokémon.

Teravolt

The games are trash and not much more than trash. Any REAL fan would be able to see that.
I barely got 70 hours in and hadn’t bothered to shiny hunt Zangoose (aka my primary reason for buying the game).

So after giving Shining Pearl more of a chance I would like to redact my previous statement. These games are NOT booty. I just cannot understand why you would give the player access to all the pokemon AFTER the game ends... What am I suppose to do with these 350 pkm? The game is over...

Other than that, I have been having fun. I let my rage get the better of me... Forgive me !!!

Teravolt

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'd take these over another Let's Go, or even worse, X/Y tbh.

Teravolt

I'd take these over another Let's Go, or even worse, X/Y tbh.
Yeah. I had fun with Y (it was my first Pokémon game), but that was because the world of Pokémon itself was novel to me. I had hundreds of hours there. However, even I recognized its story was awfully written (except for AZ. AZ and the war was cool).

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Yeah. I had fun with Y (it was my first Pokémon game), but that was because the world of Pokémon itself was novel to me. I had hundreds of hours there. However, even I recognized its story was awfully written (except for AZ. AZ and the war was cool).
I think part of it was because XY came right after BW, and its story is hard to top and it made the games feel like it was lacking.

Teravolt

Zadent

Opinion. Your opinion and their opinion are just that, opinions. No point in judging people.
I don’t think adding “any REAL fan can see that” leaves much room. To me, that suggests “if you don’t agree with my view, then you’re not a real fan.” That’s a flag for me.

i think they could have been better, but they’re passable, and better than gen 4 in general for me. Bugs aside, and underground/ramanas grind as well, still fun for me though. Hopefully if we get another remake, they can pull the positives from this and Polish up the negatives

Xuxuba

I personally enjoyed XY more, mainly due to it's innovations, like the 3d graphics, fairy type, mega evolutions, being able to interact with your pokémon outside of battles through Pokémon Amie, easier EV training and breeding, being able to rest at the battle facility without being forced into 7 battles, prolly the best berry farming feature of the series, having the first large scale cities like Lumiose... I also liked how much variety of Pokémon it had and how you could easily build your team with any pokémon you liked, which is the complete opposite of BDSP.

But yeah, both the story and postgame were severely lacking, not to mention it was far too easy, even the Gym leaders and E4' teams were atrocious. Sadly some of this stuff could have been easily fixed, especially the lack of difficulty by reducing more the exp that non battling pokémon were receiving aswell as giving the important trainers better teams, including mega evos for the more advanced ones. Viola could have had a lvl 10 Surskit with better def/hp to last just a bit more, a lvl 12 Heracross (just to make him mega evolve on rematches) and a lvl 14 Vivillon with better moveset like Gust, Struggle Bug, Infection and Poison/Stun Spore. Grant could have gained a lvl 20 Carbink to support his lvl 25 Amaura and Tyrunt with moves such as Reflect or Light Screen (alter its movepool if needed) so they wouldn't go down as easily (especially Amaura with it's many weaknesses). Korrina should have used Lucario instead of a weakass Mienfoo during the gym match and she should have gone for a Pangoro instead of Machoke to counter at least a few psychic types. Since you unlocked megas by that point, Ramos could've greatly benefited from a Mega Venasuar while exchanging his useless Weepingbell for something that could actually counter fire types even if just a little bit like possibly Ludicolo. As for Clemont, he should have gained a Mega Manectric, maybe exchanged one of his pokémon for W-Rotom or Magnezone, since they are stronger then emolga/magneton and fit the gym theme, but still can counter ground types since one has levitate and the other has a move that gives immunity to it while also having Sturdy to survive a possible OHKO. Valerie's Mawile should be able to mega evolve otherwise it serves no purpose and she should have had something like an Azumarill to help protect the Mawile from fire types. Olympia could have a Mega Medichamp and exchanged one of her pokémon for Malamar since it's half dark type. Wulfric could've used a M-Abomasnow, a bulky water type for the fire types like Walrein and an Aurorus to set up Aurora (that should have been possible from the get go), while keeping Cryogonal and Avalugg.

For the E4, they *must* have more than 4 mons with at least one of them being able to mega evolve. Like, give a m-houndoom, talonflame, chandelure, pyroar and torkoal or delphox to Malva. For Drasna, a m-garchomp, noivern, dragalge, tyrantrum and druddigon. For Wikstrom, a Klefki, Aegislash, Probopass, Escavelier/Scizor and M-Aggron. Meanwhile, Siebold could've used a Clawitzer, Barbaracle, Starmie and Mega Gyarados (i know Lysandre has one already, but i reckon there are better megas for him if we change his team a bit, like maybe m-scizor or charizard x/y depending on the version). As for the Champion, there is little we can do to save the awful synergy due to the Kalos-only pokémon theme, so powering up their lvls, stats and moves would be the only solution.

Overall, all of XY's major opponents could all benefit from higher levels, IVs and EVs, possibly even having hold items too. Since they have so many advantages in this game like the new exp. share, the affection and countless mega stones to use, boosting the opponents up this much really wouldn't really be too much.

Now, at least when it came to distributing the EVs and IVs for the gym leaders, that is something BDSP did much better, even if some of the teams weren't exactly the greatest. The exp. share is also just a little more balanced, making the level differences not as bad, at least in certain parts.

As for XY story, they truly should have gotten rid of that beauty motif, as it made absolutely no sense. Overall, Lysandre's goal is as underdeveloped as it gets. I feel like they could have leaned more towards the fact that he truly admires Pokémon but he hates that they are being used as tools for humans' selfish intentions, therefore, he is willing to create a world without them. That way the plot would focus more on why pokémon are so important to us and why we should protect them just like they protect us, which is a theme that fits the series' narrative much better than simply human genocide. It's also something that we have witnessed a lot more throughout the series, with each evil team using legendaries for their own selfish reasons and causing destruction all around them. That is something we have seen for years, while Lysandre's bad interactions with humans is not really something that got explored, not even on it's own games.

Speaking of which, i would not have AZ as ancient giant immortal but still as someone who used Pokémon to his own benefit and caused people like Lysandre to suffer. It would be better if AZ had imprisoned Xerneas and used his power to ressucitate his pokémon creating a disturbance between the balance of life and death while causing Yveltal to go rampage, destroying whole villages, like the one where Lysandre possibly lived. Maybe he could have taken Lysandre under his wing after feeling guilty for the destruction that the ressurection caused. That would explain why Lysandre knew so much about what AZ had done and why Lysandre is so against beings that powerful existing. Meanwhile, the Ultimate Weapon could have been created to suck life out of every pokémon regardless of where they are instead of simply throwing a beam that erases both human and pokémon. After all, it would make no sense for him to do all of that to protect humans from themselves when he is already killing a bunch of them.

It would also be nice for the rivals to have character arcs. Like, maybe make Trevor come out of his shell a bit more and have him act more proactive, less shy. Make Tierno understand that he needs to put more effort into training his team. Make Shauna be less superficial, slowly growing to care more and more about helping pokémon. For the opposite gender counterpart, i honestly felt like they were a bit unnecessary, only serving as a tutorial and mega absol exposition, when any other rival could have done that. If it were up to me, i would just get rid of them and have Tierno choose the starter that is strong against you. They could all have a mega aswell. At least that would make them a bit less of a pushover.

But i gotta say, BDSP made me realize how much Platinum's small addittions greatly benefited the storyline. Sometimes characters literally appear out of nowhere, spew 2 phrases with no emoction whatsoever and disappear without explaining anything. Barry and Cyrus are the one that suffers from this the most. Even with just a few more lines and a single new important character (Looker), Platinum was able to make the characters more real and explore better the motivations behind their actions. Overall, BDSP story is not as bad as XY, but it's far from being on par with the third version or even enjoyable in my opinion.

For the postgame, i feel like at least 2 other locations and battle facilities would have made XY way better. Couriway Town has a railway that leads absolutely nowhere and Coumarine has a bunch of boats that you cannot sail. Why not take advantaged of them to take you somewhere else? One of these places could have had a rental mode like the Battle Factory or Trainer Agency, while the other could have had a exploration mode like the Pyramid from Emerald and the Whitetree/Blacktower from BW or even a tournament mode where a few previous characters would appear with megas, maybe not as many as the PWC, but at least a few. Either would be fine. It would also be fine if beating their leader would given you a stone.

The rewards given by the other sidequests should've also been improved. Chatelaines should've had rare megas (maybe the exclusive counterparts) and awarded you with their stones for beating them. In the Looker Bureau episode, Essentia and Xerossic should have offered a much harder battle and Malva could have given us a Houndoominite to award us for helping her to clear her name. Unlocking all of the stones should have allowed you to discover a bit more about their lore through Sycamore, even if just to tease a bit of what you would eventually find out in ORAS. Certainly that would be better than simply waiting the time locked events (or changing the clock) just to find them on the ground with absolutely no challenge nor explanation as to why they even exist in the first place. Sure, they could still keep a few of them spread out through the region and easily obtainable as long as you explore, but i feel like we don't need to give that many stones that way when permanent good TMs motivate players to explore just aswell.

In regards to BDSP postgame, i wouldn't exactly say it's much better. It only has a single facility with less modes and freedom than the Maison. The postgame villain sidequest (if we can even call it that) isn't exactly as elaborate nor moving as the Looker Bureau. They do have a few new areas to explore, but they are barren without Platinum improvements.

However, i will say this, they definetly have way better postgame battles to grind and more legendaries to catch than XY. It's just a little sad that the legendaries don't offer as much of a challenge to catch like they used to, other than finding some of the necessary items on the Underground.
Meanwhile, GF could easily fixed XY's problem by giving some of ORAS legendaries to XY, since ORAS already had soooo many.

Last edited:

Zadent

Sadly some of this stuff could have been easily fixed, especially the lack of difficulty by reducing more the exp that non battling pokémon were receiving
Just on this: *or* actually implementing the weighted Exp system like gen 5, 7, and 8 have. That can go a long way in balancing/catching up

Status
Not open for further replies.