• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do You Like Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
i find it better than sun/moon, USUM and sword/shield. SM was lack luster, incomplete package in terms of features and pokemon/move tutors. USUM patched up move tutors and legends. roaming the wilds in sword got boring quick enough as there wasnt much you could do in the towns. so far im rather happy with BD, haven't gotten that far post game but at least the underground is more interesting and useful than gen8 wilds. The BD towns aren't barren or have at least 25% vacancy ie dead buildings. Havent gotten around to breeding yet or catching ditto. Currently training a team for e4 rematch while trying to fill the national list.might get tired of running underground but the treasure hunts have some useful benefits.

Don't know if this game will be better than XY ORAS but at least it's better than gen7 and the previous gen8 games

You are wonderful. These games won't top the gen 6 game for me, but they are lovely and more fun for me than gen 7 and 8 games :)

nel3

Crimson Dragon
You are wonderful. These games won't top the gen 6 game for me, but they are lovely and more fun for me than gen 7 and 8 games :)
I can rant on for longer on gen7 inadequacies for days, sword was an improvement over gen7 despite some flaws.

I liked gen6 so much that my X game has full foreign data recorded barring the legends and events. One of my biggest achievments so far. That game kept me interested for many months. Gen7 or 8 had mine for 2 or 3 months before I got bored of trying to max out items. Any foreign ones were evolved or logged but I didn't take extra step to search them all.

Last edited:

KalloFox34

Grampa's Little Helper? What's That?
I do prefer the originals (and especially Platinum), but BDSP are still decent.

It’s on the weaker end of mainline Pokémon games, but at least it’s better than Gens 3 and 7.

Jeppo

I like it in general. It's hard to find aesthetically pleasing Pokémon before the National Dex and it's noticeable designers ran out of ideas in Gen 4, but the game itself is quite fun. It's got the old-school feel that it's just you and your Pokémon against the vast region filled with trainers before taking on the E4. No constant cutscenes of some evil villain trying to take over the world and the story pushing you in a certain direction.

I also like how the E4 is much more challenging than I expected (well, tbh, Garchomp is). I find myself grinding down in the Grand Underground, catching new Pokémon along the way and putting together a team before I try for a second time. Every other Pokémon game is just way too easy.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I'm kind of surprised at how much I'm enjoying them. DP is far from my favorite generation of games, so I wasn't expecting to love the remakes. Still can't say I "love" them, but I'm having fun, which is about all I ask for in a Pokemon game. Also really enjoy the graphics in the overworld, which I thought was going to be my biggest gripe.

I can't compare it to Pt, since I never tried third versions until USUM, and even then, it's because I got a free copy.

Definitely enjoy Sword far more and have more hours of breeding and battling on there than most of my other games, so there's really no comparison. I also like Sword's dex way more. I'm just biding my time for Arceus, but for what these games are, BDSP is actually quite enjoyable and a good filler until Arceus comes out.

I'm enjoying this game. The challenge of the rebattles is fun. I don't think it's as good as Sword/Shield as this is a big step back tech wise, but is is still a good game.

aerial_ace

For me the original diamond and pearl are my least favourite games and the only ones i never actually completed. I got to Sunnyshore i saw big water route and with surfing being so slow i gave up and never touched these games again. BDSP was the least hyped pokemon game in recent history but i gave it a shot.

The games are much better than the original. The speed of battles/surfing is improved, some more annoying encounters can be easily obtained in grand underground, and generally i feel, with the introduction of grand underground , you can get some of the late/mid mons quite early on which helps team building.

The whole game is so easy but then you get to elite four and it is actually a challange and Cynthia must be the toughest to beat champion in any game. I was not expecting elite four to have competetive sets and hold items. This was great they are meant to be a challenge and not get one shotted like in some recent games (x y being absolutely worst for it elite four was a joke)

All in all it was an ok experience but didn't change my opinion on shinnoh games being my least favourite of the franchise and i played them all. The regional pokedex is improved but still such a mess. Why are so many native sinnoh monst locked behind national dex / post game is beyong me. Some of my absolute favourites this gen like Gliscor are not obtainable without trading.
Another issue is the story. I just find the whole plot and characters in these games so bland. If you compare the design of human characters to games like sun and moon or sword and shield there is just no depth to them. Also after swsh going back to random encounters is a chore.
Another issue is how grindy the slates for ramanas park are. It's just not enjoyable to spend hours to get a slate to catch your 10th regirock. Catching all legenderies is becoming a little bit boring so they need to introduce a better way to catch them. Example of this is dynamax adventure which are still fun even after a year. I got all regis to get regigigas in bdsp but not planning to grind for anything else.

janejane6178

Not nearly as close to ORAS perfection lvl, but it is nice for what it is and prefer it over LOA from what I have seen so far

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I haven't finished Shining Pearl yet, and while it's a nice little game on a technical and design level, I'm not having as much fun as I did with Sword and Shield. My gaps between play sessions for Shining Pearl are a lot longer than before, I'd turn on the Switch and play through Sword for about 40 minutes to an hour each day until the game was done, but with Shining Pearl I'll do maybe 30 to 45 minutes of play and then not touch it again for anywhere up to a week. It's just not holding my attention very well.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I like it so far. Having fun with naming what I catch and just taking my time with the playthrough. Is it perfect, no, but I like it for what it is.

Red and Blue

I liked Shining Pearl well enough. Never played the originals so I can't make a comparison but I enjoyed the remakes. After SWSH it was nice to have something to occupy me before Legends comes out next year

Luthor

For me there's a lot to like about it. Sure its not perfect but generally speaking it does what I expected it to and adds a few things I love especially the elite 4 (especially including the rematches) , Cynthia's team, the gym leader's rematches. In general the few alterations I'd want are minor.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Yeah, I'm enjoying them so far. I think the AI is definitely a lot smarter this time around. Didn't expect Mars's Zubat to be able to use U-Turn and withdraw her Purugly into Zubat to try and use a Super Effective move on me. I'm only two badges in right now, though, so my opinion could likely change.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I like it just like I liked the original Pearl. Yes it absolutely could have been built up more like ORAS was, but it's still good because it's just more Pearl and Pearl was good.

I feel like people who call it bad because it doesn't have extras or Platinum or whatever forget that we're still starting with a baseline of a good game. "Could have been better" doesn't mean bad itself.

And I had the exact same hollow feeling after the Spear Pillar that I did back then. The same feeling of wanting to leave Palkia to my rival or whoever and follow after Cyrus. The only other character that's ever given me that kind of emotional resonance in this series was Lusamine, and we have closure seeing her off to recover. With Cyrus, he just leaves, and that's a shame because I wanted him to get help. Even back before I was a huge obsessive fan of his, I felt the same way. And no, Platinum doesn't give any closure either, because he still just leaves (remember, there's nothing in Platinum saying he's trapped in that world by anything but his own stubbornness).

Huh. Tried to put a spoiler in here but it never showed up even though I used the direct spoiler function. Seems there may be a bug on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintendoNanami

Sinnoh Girl
Honestly hope Gen 9 is made like this. Probably won’t since GF didn’t make it and so many would be mad for dumb reasons but idk felt the most Pokémon game since the end of the sprite era to me

NintendoNanami

Sinnoh Girl
I prefer this style over LA's one
I wonder if they want to give each series it’s art style so future remakes (if it happens) has the BDSP one while Legends has its own own as does the traditional. Of course this might lead people to call some stuff spin-offs but….

janejane6178

I wonder if they want to give each series it’s art style so future remakes (if it happens) has the BDSP one while Legends has its own own as does the traditional. Of course this might lead people to call some stuff spin-offs but….

I like the chibby cute style of BDSP.
On the other hand, LA's style feel like BOTW Pokemon wanna-be

NintendoNanami

Sinnoh Girl
I like the chibby cute style of BDSP.
On the other hand, LA's style feel like BOTW Pokemon wanna-be
To be fair I feel the art style has been done long before BotW but if you mean style as a game I feel it’s too soon to judge. But this could just be me since I find BotW overrated AF LA in general looks more like SwSh but like cel shaded to me

Morax

King of heroes
>game looks like botw
>hurr durr cheapshit copy bad game hurr durr
Why do people be like that? Try the game before giving your final verdict. I swear the same arguments have been made against genshin impact and i’m loving it, much more than Botw rn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.