• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do You Like Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I’m probably going to sell my copy of SP to GameStop later this month. I’m just not feeling it. Seriously looking forward to Legends: Arceus, though!

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Love these games. Has 7x hours so far

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I like it just like I liked the original Pearl. Yes it absolutely could have been built up more like ORAS was, but it's still good because it's just more Pearl and Pearl was good.

I feel like people who call it bad because it doesn't have extras or Platinum or whatever forget that we're still starting with a baseline of a good game. "Could have been better" doesn't mean bad itself.
Something I find kind of interesting is that Nintendo had released four "faithful remakes" over 2021 (six if you count alternate versions): Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, the two Famicom Detective stories, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. The Pokémon games have gotten by far the sharpest criticism to them while reception to the others were a lot more positive. Skyward Sword HD in particular not only kept the story and the gameplay exactly the same but did only minor touching up of the graphics (they even kept the unique bloom of distant objects to make it appear like an impressionist painting); the complaints it had were entirely from things already existing in the original game that couldn't easily be readily fixed (linear structure, backtracking in second half, boss fights against the Imprisoned, Zelda having a passive role in the story, etc.) and was otherwise praised for fixing up things that COULD be fixed up (you now have the option of replacing all motion controls with button controls, Fi speaks to you a lot less, the game no longer reminds you of every item you pick up every session you play, improved Loftwing steering).

That is, for all the other faithful remakes on the Switch over 2021, fan reception has been mostly about what has been improved about them, whereas for Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, there's a lot more fan reception over what could have been added. I wonder if it's because Mario and Zelda re-releases tend to skew very close to their original releases (or exactly the same, in the case of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine for Super Mario 3D All-Stars), whereas Pokémon re-releases tend to have a lot of things added to them.

NintendoNanami

Sinnoh Girl
Something I find kind of interesting is that Nintendo had released four "faithful remakes" over 2021 (six if you count alternate versions): Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, the two Famicom Detective stories, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, and Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. The Pokémon games have gotten by far the sharpest criticism to them while reception to the others were a lot more positive. Skyward Sword HD in particular not only kept the story and the gameplay exactly the same but did only minor touching up of the graphics (they even kept the unique bloom of distant objects to make it appear like an impressionist painting); the complaints it had were entirely from things already existing in the original game that couldn't easily be readily fixed (linear structure, backtracking in second half, boss fights against the Imprisoned, Zelda having a passive role in the story, etc.) and was otherwise praised for fixing up things that COULD be fixed up (you now have the option of replacing all motion controls with button controls, Fi speaks to you a lot less, the game no longer reminds you of every item you pick up every session you play, improved Loftwing steering).

That is, for all the other faithful remakes on the Switch over 2021, fan reception has been mostly about what has been improved about them, whereas for Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, there's a lot more fan reception over what could have been added. I wonder if it's because Mario and Zelda re-releases tend to skew very close to their original releases (or exactly the same, in the case of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine for Super Mario 3D All-Stars), whereas Pokémon re-releases tend to have a lot of things added to them.
Not to be that person but is Pokémon really a “Nintendo “ game? I mean it’s sold as one but since it’s made by second party can we really count it as one? Like sadly I don’t think we will ever see Nintendo Selects of Pokémon or anything in that kind of “Nintendo” game

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Not to be that person but is Pokémon really a “Nintendo “ game? I mean it’s sold as one but since it’s made by second party can we really count it as one? Like sadly I don’t think we will ever see Nintendo Selects of Pokémon or anything in that kind of “Nintendo” game
Nintendo is a distributor of them and has partial ownership of The Pokémon Company, so it technically is one. Pikachu has been in Smash Bros. since the beginning, for instance, and in popular culture, Pikachu is just as much of a Nintendo character as Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong. Satoru Iwata would not have been able to go through the code for Pokémon Gold and Silver as much as he did were it not at least partially Nintendo-owned.

Legally, Pokémon is its own thing and Nintendo has to get permission to use Pokémon-related things. It is second-party, but so are games made by Monolith Soft, which do get included in those bestselling discount lines. F-Zero GX is even less connected to Nintendo, having been made entirely at SEGA, and it was included as the Players' Choice among Gamecube titles. Of course, Monolith Soft and SEGA are much more cooperative with these programs than The Pokémon Company is.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah, I had wondered during a stream once if people got this nettled over, say, Mario Allstars back in the day, which was just "here's Mario with better graphics".

Entradius1

Just some dude
I like it, but not as much as the other games. I feel that it really needs the platinum pokedex. All in all I would rate it slightly below X and Y.

Other changes I would make; I would like a vendor in the resort area that would sell all the daily underground items, items that would spawn daily in the underground pokemon hideaways, mints as a rare proc off berry trees, and maybe getting Eevee as a free gift after clearing the second gym vs obtaining the national pokedex.

Edit: I forgot about poffins. I wish they were easier to make.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Same. I'm not a fan with how much it relies on a person to move the joycon stick so fast. Wish we could play it via touch screen instead. I only played it once and am not playing it again. It's not worth the extra wear and tear.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Wow, I am very pleased to see how many people like BDSP here on Serebii Forums, compared to this other Pokemon Forum I frequently visit!

Yes, I do like BDSP a lot. I think BDSP is a very solid game, and it's better than SwSh, SM, XY, ORAS, etc. I would say that, for me, BDSP is the BEST Pokemon game we've had since BW2.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Wow, I am very pleased to see how many people like BDSP here on Serebii Forums, compared to this other Pokemon Forum I frequently visit!

Yes, I do like BDSP a lot. I think BDSP is a very solid game, and it's better than SwSh, SM, XY, ORAS, etc. I would say that, for me, BDSP is the BEST Pokemon game we've had since BW2.
I love BDSP

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
If it had post gen 4 Pokemon then it would have been one of the best Pokemon games for me.
I already have around 90 hours on it
That's awesome!

Personally, I am not a big fan of Gen 5, 6, 7 Pokemon, so the only Pokemon I miss in BDSP are the Gen 8 ones. But overall, I'm happy with a more "classic" Pokemon experience with only Gen 1-4 Pokemon.

I do miss Alolan/Galarian regional variants tho. I wish those were included in BDSP.

Last edited:

janejane6178

That's awesome!

Personally, I am not a big fan of Gen 5, 6, 7 Pokemon, so the only Pokemon I miss in BDSP are the Gen 8 ones. But overall, I'm happy with a more "classic" Pokemon experience with only Gen 1-4 Pokemon.

I do miss Alolan/Galarian regional variants tho. I wish those were included in BDSP.
Gen 6 Pokemon r my fav ones <3

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
The games aren't perfect. I can easily say that BDSP are lacking in comparision with all the other remakes (Mainly because it's the exact same as the original. No real shake ups to the main story, no new areas besides the areas in the underground, etc).

However, despite this I'm going to say yes. I enjoyed my time with these games as much as the originals. I asked for a remake and that's exactly what I got. On top of that it does make a few improvements in order to make the games better then their originals (Faster HP bars, faster swim speed, more customization for your character, etc).

Do I think the game can be better? Yes, I would love for all the online features to be there at launch, and I would love for the contests to be exactly like the original instead of what we got, and I would love for the game to not lock me out of events whenever I change the day (Yes, I know this was in the original too, but it's really obnoxious nowadays considering how you can do this in modern Pokemon games without a handicap and the fact that this game has more modern features like the nature changing items), and I would love for the controls to be a little more polished, but these are all minor nitpicks and don't ruin my overall experience with the game.

Last edited:

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I like them, sure. I think the art style is still off-putting and shouldn't have been chosen, and I think it was extremely unfortunate that they didn't incorporate Platinum content better. I don't necessarily agree with things like moves still being missing, only 493 Pokémon being there, no Battle Frontier, etc. But for what they are, I enjoyed them, and the Battle Tower still being there is a real blessing. I haven't played them a lot since I beat the League, but I can see myself going back because I enjoy the Tower way more than I enjoy the Sword and Shield Tower, which was pretty much just pitiful IMO. Overall, solid games - but they could have been much, much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.