• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you like when the anime takes its own twist on the games’ plot?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Well, so ''faithful'' isn't the right word. Anime Team Flare could have been a lot better, too. They came so late and so little.

Too much fillers in season 2? How so? Season 2 had the least fillers out of all the seasons.
I just hear from people that Season 2 apparently slows down the fast-pace nature of Season 1 a bit because of the filler.

As for the faithful bit. Again I'd say it's the most faithful by default. It's easier to work with Kalos's much smaller story than say Hoenn which is massive in terms of story content.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well, so ''faithful'' isn't the right word. Anime Team Flare could have been a lot better, too. They came so late and so little.

The whole team might have appeared a but late, but too little? I disagree, since I personally didn't mind that they didn't appear in the Power Plant or PokeBall factory since they're plot in the games was so senseless. Besides, Lysandre appeared in all the Mega Evolution specials and was manipulating everything, so the build up was definitely there. So ultimately, I feel that even though Team Flare appeared a lot later, the ME specials were all part of Lysandre's plan, so there's no way that they felt rushed at all. Appearing early doesn't mean the plot is done well, and Team Magma/Aqua proved this. They appeared early, but the plot went nowhere and was concluded in such a half hearted and haphazard manner.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
To make this short, if there is a means to have game plot points line up to one sastifiying conclusion or climax, do it.

Otherwise, it's better for the anime to do its own thing because honestly, most of the villainous teams have bare bone plots that would stifle creativity and be unsatisfying unless liberties were made (with the exception of DPPt and BW).

Would Team Rocket ever be as exciting if they followed the original Gen I plot? First Gen would be them causing trouble in certain towns and Ash stopping them, culminating into Giovanni giving up cause he lost to a kid. That's it. Compare that to what the anime and Adventures did when they combined the Mewtwo subplot with the Team Rocket narrative. That is what people remember.

Likewise, the only reason that XY anime resonates better than the games is because the games treat Team Flare and the Legendary like they are an afterthought. Like a mandatory requirement for core games that could easily be removed from the games and no one will notice. Combined with a confusing, lackluster motive for Lysandre and laughable goons, and you got yourself an underwhelming villainous team that will never be taken seriously no matter how many people try to tell me of how "complex" and "deep" game Lysandre is. Bah! DJ Octavio from Splatoon had more depth than Lysandre and he's a DJ octopus that throws bad jokes at you.

Last edited:

Jeal

I just hear from people that Season 2 apparently slows down the fast-pace nature of Season 1 a bit because of the filler.

As for the faithful bit. Again I'd say it's the most faithful by default. It's easier to work with Kalos's much smaller story than say Hoenn which is massive in terms of story content.
Ash got 4 badges in season 2, Serena's showcases started, Ash captured Goomy and completely evolved it, Froakie, Fennekin, Fletchinder, Luxio and Pumpkaboo evolved, Ash found Noibat and Serena got Eevee. Just about 15 episodes were filler.

The whole team might have appeared a but late, but too little? I disagree, since I personally didn't mind that they didn't appear in the Power Plant or PokeBall factory since they're plot in the games was so senseless. Besides, Lysandre appeared in all the Mega Evolution specials and was manipulating everything, so the build up was definitely there. So ultimately, I feel that even though Team Flare appeared a lot later, the ME specials were all part of Lysandre's plan, so there's no way that they felt rushed at all. Appearing early doesn't mean the plot is done well, and Team Magma/Aqua proved this. They appeared early, but the plot went nowhere and was concluded in such a half hearted and haphazard manner.
Well, they(like organization, not just Lysandre) just appeared in three episodes(one of them without Ash and company facing them) before the finale. XY&Z was promoted like the Team Flare arc, but they weren't really relevant until the final episodes.

To make this short, if there is a means to have game plot points line up to one sastifiying conclusion or climax, do it.

Otherwise, it's better for the anime to do its own thing because honestly, most of the villainous teams have bare bone plots that would stifle creativity and be unsatisfying unless liberties were made (with the exception of DPPt and BW).
I just wanted the BW anime to follow the games's plot.
Would Team Rocket ever be as exciting if they followed the original Gen I plot? First Gen would be them causing trouble in certain towns and Ash stopping them, culminating into Giovanni giving up cause he lost to a kid. That's it. Compare that to what the anime and Adventures did when they combined the Mewtwo subplot with the Team Rocket narrative. That is what people remember.
Really, in Gen I games, it seems like Team Rocket is trying to capture Mewtwo.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Really, in Gen I games, it seems like Team Rocket is trying to capture Mewtwo.

No. That was a rumor spread by Pokémon US fans during a time where both the anime and games came out at the same time (and the first movie in Japan was already out for months). Team Rocket was just there to make money like a regular criminal organization. Mine fossils to sell to the black market. Set up recruitment spots in places like the Golden Nugget Bridge. Raiding into people's homes. Run a Gambling Corner. Poach skulls from Cubone. Set up a hostile takeover of the Silph company to get exclusive access to the Master Ball and other technical goods.

There was no indication that they were after Mewtwo. That was something the anime and Adventures would invent in their telling of the story because it made Team Rocket a lot more interesting.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I like May and Dawn's contests better than game contests.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Problem is.....most game plot in gen 1 and 2 is not as important as catching ever Pokemon there is in the game do .

Leonhart

Imagineer
Yes and no. I don't mind changes like the inclusion of Hunter J in Akagi's plan to capture the Lake Trio in DP since it was handled well, but twists such as adding Sakaki to the Kami Trio episodes in BW2 seemed random and didn't deliver.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Depends on if it needs to be done. For stuff like DP no for XY and SM where the content is kinda meh to start with some times if it works

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I like it. A game story has very different requirements compared to a tv story. In a game the player character generally has to do everything. Everything that is resolved by someone other than the player character is essentially content that the player doesn't get to play through from the player's point of view. So in a game the player tends to resolve everything, beat all the villains on his/her own, and catch the legendary pokémon, just to give the player as fulfilling of an experience as possible. A tv story on the other hand has to be enjoyable and believable. Characters need to have flaws, be somewhat realistic (unlike the player character in the games who is devoid of any visible personality traits), there needs to be a bit of a balance between the various characters and what they offer to the story. That's not to say that they all have to be equally important, but it needs more balance than one character doing everything on his/her own and everybody else doing nothing. Similarly, offering main characters too great powerups or too strong pokémon for the world they are in (such as super-powered legendaries) would break tension in the story and make things quite boring. It's cool for a moment, but quickly becomes dull once the novelty wears off.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So one interesting thing I thought about just Pokemon adaptations in-general is what Hidenori Kusaka, the writer of Pokemon Adventures, and Satoshi Yamamoto, the artist of Pokemon Adventures, explains what is the hardest part about adapting Pokemon. What they say is really interesting as I feel it doesn't just apply to Pokemon Adventures but possibly every Pokemon story adaptation ever made including the Pokemon anime, which some of you anime fans explained that the anime production crew's jobs are far from easy, especially in the creative department.

"Working on Pokémon is difficult. Maybe the most difficult part is that we have to follow the story of another product, which is a video game. We can't afford to create a manga that people playing the video games don't like. On the other hand, if everything was exactly the same between the games and the adaptation, the manga would be boring. When you're playing a Pokémon game, you put yourself into the character, whereas an established character has to drive the story in a manga. We have to create good characters and surprise people as they're reading. That balance between what we have to change and what remains the same is probably the most difficult part." - Hidenori Kusaka, the writer of Pokemon Adventures.

"Every time there's a new video game, there's also a design team responsible for the new Pokémon creatures and human characters. I receive their work and I have to follow and respect some guidelines, so I try to attach my own creativity to all that. But there's also some parts where I have more freedom, so that's up to my imagination. For example, there's an original idea in the manga devised by me, which is that every character has their own way of catching Pokémon." - Satoshi Yamamoto, the artist of Pokemon Adventures.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I don't tend to like 1 to 1 adaptations of video games for one reason. You lose an aspect of the game. For a game, you have audio-visual investment, emotional investment in the characters/world, and immersion within the game as the player. You are in that world even if the person on the other side of the screen is nothing like you. When you lose that 1-to-1 investment, but the other aspects are not emphasized or played differently, you lose a bit of investment.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't tend to like 1 to 1 adaptations of video games for one reason. You lose an aspect of the game. For a game, you have audio-visual investment, emotional investment in the characters/world, and immersion within the game as the player. You are in that world even if the person on the other side of the screen is nothing like you. When you lose that 1-to-1 investment, but the other aspects are not emphasized or played differently, you lose a bit of investment.
maybe VR anime could re-add that immersion