• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you miss pokemon contest?

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
I agree with DLADV, Paul's backstory is stupid. He turned into a total ******* just because his brother lost against a Frontier Brain? I would understand him being disappointed but that shouldn't cause a sudden shift of personality.

Dunno, I find it quite similar to Trip's story. In both cases, they utterly admired their idols and, when they faced the reality (the fact that Reggie isn't invincible and the fact that Alder has a peculiar personality), lost most (if not all) their respect. That's something that happens in real life as well. You have no idea how many idols have lost their shine, once people found out about their skeletons in the closets.

The stories may have been developed much better, I agree, but they aren't completely unbelievable or absurd. And besides, different people react (or overreact) in different ways.

Dunno, I find it quite similar to Trip's story. In both cases, they utterly admired their idols and, when they faced the reality (the fact that Reggie isn't invincible and the fact that Alder has a peculiar personality), lost most (if not all) their respect. That's something that happens in real life as well. You have no idea how many idols have lost their shine, once people found out about their skeletons in the closets.
See, Trip was admiring Alder's kindness and skill in battle, though-- Paul later treats his own brother with cold indifference and just as a tool to store his Pokemon with him, while Trip treated Alder with respect at least to some extent: that's where they both differ greatly.

Of course, but that's the thing here.

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon

The stories may have been developed much better, I agree, but they aren't completely unbelievable or absurd. And besides, different people react (or overreact) in different ways.

Diaz (Trip) didn't go from a seemingly normal kid to a total dick, though. The stories are similar but not exactly the same.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
See, Trip was admiring Alder's kindness and skill in battle, though-- Paul later treats his own brother with cold indifference and just as a tool to store his Pokemon with him, while Trip treated Alder with respect at least to some extent: that's where they both differ greatly.

Of course, but that's the thing here.

That's true. However, Trip restarted gaining some respect when Alder beat him with his Bouffalant. Up to that point, Trip was only focused on beating him. He even challenged Cynthia, due to being way too overconfident.

But that's a privilege that Trip got: the chance to show how much he has developed after he found out that he was in the wrong.

Paul never got that chance. We never got to see how truly he has become after Ash had beaten him, a part the fact that he has gained a bit of respect. We have no idea if he has changed to the point that he'll start treating his brother with respect as well and realize that he treated him horribly. We can only speculate with him, and that's a bit unfortunate (at least, in my opinion).

That's true. However, Trip restarted gaining some respect when Alder beat him with his Bouffalant. Up to that point, Trip was only focused on beating him. He even challenged Cynthia, due to being way too overconfident.

But that's a privilege that Trip got: the chance to show how much he has developed after he found out that he was in the wrong.

Paul never got that chance. We never got to see how truly he has become after Ash had beaten him. We have no idea if he has changed to the point that he'll start treating his brother with respect as well and realize that he treated him horribly. We can only speculate with him, and that's a bit unfortunate (at least, in my opinion).

Yeah, I agree with all of that.

The thing is, Paul never realized anything until Ash defeated him in the Sinnoh League, whereas Trip gradually caught on to his mistakes much earlier-- that's where the two differ in general, but I do see your point there.

It IS unfortunate, but I'm just referring to how Paul was written in the DP Anime itself as opposed to how Trip was written in the BW Anime when contrasting the two in this regard, if that make sense.

chalkus

Yes you have. It's not, but when you say your opinion is fact, then It is.

Okay, but Paul's story was that his brother lost a battle, then he turned cruel, how's that a good story? Okay, I can slightly agree with the Harley bit.

Still opinion. Okay, that's a little overboard now, they are good battles, but not the best. Yes, they did get better, but better than X is still opinion. Contests don't determine how a region is good, if the writing, characters, Pokémon are good then the region is good.

You seem to have problem with the difference between bashing and criticism.

Example of bashing: Hoenn contests are lame and suck.

Example of criticism: Hoenn contests were not as imaginative as they could be given the premise of that style of competition.

Which is pretty much what I am saying. I think Sinnoh's contests are way better than Hoenn's and I find it hard to enjoy them now. I don't see why me saying that is a problem or how that equates bashing. If someone said Hoenn contests were better than Sinnoh, I might ask why, but I wouldn't accuse them of bashing. I would love to seen the evidence that I bash every other series in every post like some keep saying.

I like action and pokemon battles above everything else which is why I like Sinnoh more than other regions. I think Ash was at his best in DP and that Dawn was the most inventive trainer ever. Since I like Sinnoh the most of course I would use it as the measuring stick for the other regions. Again, I don't see why that is a problem.

And I don't know why you brought up Paul's backstory. I said Drew was more pompous than he was, not that their histories made any sense.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Yeah, I agree with all of that.

The thing is, Paul never realized anything until Ash defeated him in the Sinnoh League, whereas Trip gradually caught on to his mistakes much earlier-- that's where the two differ in general, but I do see your point there.

It IS unfortunate, but I'm just referring to how Paul was written in the DP Anime itself as opposed to how Trip was written in the BW Anime when contrasting the two in this regard, if that make sense.

I see what you mean. Basically Paul's story is unfinished, while Trip was mostly done. In that sense, I can see Trip being developed better.

I see what you mean. Basically Paul's story is unfinished, while Trip was mostly done. In that sense, I can see Trip being developed better.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Diaz (Trip) didn't go from a seemingly normal kid to a total dick, though. The stories are similar but not exactly the same.
Didn't Reggie state that Paul always had a cruel streak to him or something along those lines? We don't know whether or not Paul was a nice person even before Reggie's loss. I still consider him better written than Trip regardless

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
I have never bashed any series. I have criticized AG and Best Wishes but not any other series. Sinnoh is my favorite region so of course I will use it as a barometer to judge everything else. What I don't get is why that's a problem.

Drew had style but he was also more pompous than Paul except, unlike him, he couldn't back it up. Harley was a clown who spent more time trying to trick May than out perform her. Perhaps if he concentrated more on his performance than stupid tricks he would have gotten further than he did.

AG had two grand festivals and neither were anywhere near as good as Sinnoh's. Dawn vs Ursula, Nando vs Zoey and Dawn vs Zoey were not just great contest battles but were three of the best battles in the entire anime. The writers got better at contests over time which is why Sinnoh is better than Hoenn. If another region has contests it might be better than Sinnoh. That's just how it is.
Oh Okay, that's hard to believe, if I had the energy to bring together all the criticism of all the episode/saga you've done, then, you'd not even believe yourself.
And second of all, did you NOT take into account the part where I said "imo" when I thought Hoenn was better than sinnoh?
Drew had way more style. I will agree Paul made a better rival than Drew--but wait, why are you even comparing them together? Harley still had powerful tactics and strategy to win contests, if he spent all his time tricking May, then how did he win all 5 ribbons so fast?
Lol, okay you that's what you think. I think Sinnoh contests were OK, but imo they are nothing near as great as hoenn.

Didn't Reggie state that Paul always had a cruel streak to him or something along those lines? We don't know whether or not Paul was a nice person even before Reggie's loss. I still consider him better written than Trip regardless

Paul was definitely better handled. I could see where people are coming from as far as character development is concerned but in terms of handling, the writers were way more nicer to Paul than they were to Trip.

chalkus

Oh Okay, that's hard to believe, if I had the energy to bring together all the criticism of all the episode/saga you've done, then, you'd not even believe yourself.
And second of all, did you NOT take into account the part where I said "imo" when I thought Hoenn was better than sinnoh?
Drew had way more style. I will agree Paul made a better rival than Drew--but wait, why are you even comparing them together? Harley still had powerful tactics and strategy to win contests, if he spent all his time tricking May, then how did he win all 5 ribbons so fast?
Lol, okay you that's what you think. I think Sinnoh contests were OK, but imo they are nothing near as great as hoenn.

Criticize, yes. Bash, no. Yeah, you're giving your opinion on Hoenn, which is fine, but when I give my opinion on Sinnoh I get accused of bashing and other nonsense, which is unfair.

Harley winning five ribbons is meaningless because all rivals do that. Even Kenny and Jesse got to the grand festival. It doesn't mean any of them were good enough.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Criticize, yes. Bash, no. Yeah, you're giving your opinion on Hoenn, which is fine, but when I give my opinion on Sinnoh I get accused of bashing and other nonsense, which is unfair.

Harley winning five ribbons is meaningless because all rivals do that. Even Kenny and Jesse got to the grand festival. It doesn't mean any of them were good enough.
You do though, that's I'll I ever see from your posts. I can name so many DP sinnoh fans on here that don't vent on EVERY thread and praise how awesome DP was and superior it is to other series, just look at your signature ffs.

Anyways, i'm not talking about that, Harley ran through contests through an efficent time span unlike Jessie. He was also skilled, and it showed from his debut.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
You seem to have problem with the difference between bashing and criticism.

Example of bashing: Hoenn contests are lame and suck.

Example of criticism: Hoenn contests were not as imaginative as they could be given the premise of that style of competition.

Which is pretty much what I am saying. I think Sinnoh's contests are way better than Hoenn's and I find it hard to enjoy them now. I don't see why me saying that is a problem or how that equates bashing. If someone said Hoenn contests were better than Sinnoh, I might ask why, but I wouldn't accuse them of bashing. I would love to seen the evidence that I bash every other series in every post like some keep saying.

I like action and pokemon battles above everything else which is why I like Sinnoh more than other regions. I think Ash was at his best in DP and that Dawn was the most inventive trainer ever. Since I like Sinnoh the most of course I would use it as the measuring stick for the other regions. Again, I don't see why that is a problem.

And I don't know why you brought up Paul's backstory. I said Drew was more pompous than he was, not that their histories made any sense.

No I don't, you have a problem thinking DP is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Okay, all the time I hear you can how DP did this better, and how it's flawless.

Fine, you have a point there.

I see then, that's fine as long as you say it's YOUR OPINION, and NOT FACT.

You said Drew was more pompous, and Drew didn't have history with that. But Paul did, and Paul was even more pompous IMO, and didn't have a good reason, it's all "boo hoo, my brother lost to some guy and now I have to be a total jerk to everybody.". So Paul was even more pompous, while not having a good reason.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
No I don't, you have a problem thinking DP is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Okay, all the time I hear you can how DP did this better, and how it's flawless.

Fine, you have a point there.

I see then, that's fine as long as you say it's YOUR OPINION, and NOT FACT.

You said Drew was more pompous, and Drew didn't have history with that. But Paul did, and Paul was even more pompous IMO, and didn't have a good reason, it's all "boo hoo, my brother lost to some guy and now I have to be a total jerk to everybody.". So Paul was even more pompous, while not having a good reason.
Maybe not a good reason to you. If the guy you've looked up to all your life suddenly quits, it's not the loss it's the fact that Reggie just quit despite being pretty good, that pissed Paul off. So hos entire journey is to prove he's not weak like he perceived Reggie to be after he quit. So if it means focusing on a Pokemon's power and using very strict training methods and disregarding those he considered weak then that's what Paul did.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
To be fair Drew did kind of start off as, "green haired Gary" but the writers developed his personality better toward late Hoenn and BF.

You know Drew was really only the second main rival of the entire series after Gary. I don't really count league rivals like Richie/Harrisson and Casey barely counts....so Drew was really only the second major rival of the entire series. Kind of surprising when you think about it.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
To be fair Drew did kind of start off as, "green haired Gary" but the writers developed his personality better toward late Hoenn and BF.

You know Drew was really only the second main rival of the entire series after Gary. I don't really count league rivals like Richie/Harrisson and Casey barely counts....so Drew was really only the second major rival of the entire series. Kind of surprising when you think about it.

I've always thought Drew as to be May's version of Gary tbh. He was a lot like him, except he didn't have such a big ego like Gary. I still love both rivals though, so yeah that's a difference and Gary's not a coordinator.
I've always wondered if contests do return to Kalos, and IF Gary returns he'd try it out. That be weird.

zhixun

I've always thought Drew as to be May's version of Gary tbh. He was a lot like him, except he didn't have such a big ego like Gary. I still love both rivals though, so yeah that's a difference and Gary's not a coordinator.
I've always wondered if contests do return to Kalos, and IF Gary returns he'd try it out. That be weird.

I think it is very unlikely for Shigeru to be a coordinator. Either Shu is going to reappear or they should introduce some new rivals instead. And his Pokémon are more suitable for battling gyms than showing off beautiful moves in contests.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
Well, I obviously do know that Gary isn't likely to be a a coordinator, but I said I wondered if he would try it out..