• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you [perfer the 4Kids cast of the currrent cast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodka Haze

I don't mind the current dub. Ash and Meowth sound OK, and Jessie sounds pretty damn accurate. I just wish they cast someone else as James. In the current dub, he sounds like he's older, tired and got a cold.

CupidKirby

They're just lucky that 4kids' style of editing only works for shows like Pokemon. Then there's the epic story of One Piece they have to deal with and it's the worst dubbing company in the world. People just don't know how to make up their minds. Seriously, PUSA isn't that bad...they just aren't amazing either.

The only thing I get annoyed about is when we throw crap at Sarah's Ash voice. No problem hating it but being the reason you quit the show is a bit harsh.

PUSA is just a 4kids clone, albeit with more problems. They still make unnecessary edits (the lack of original Japanese text in scenes and rice ball edits never bothered me, but too each his own :p), they still butcher the plot, and they lack 4kids talent for making great soundtracks.

Now I wouldn't say that. PUSA and 4kids are nothing alike.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Now I wouldn't say that. PUSA and 4kids are nothing alike.

Care to explain why you think that? Too me, PUSA and 4kids act like most North American dubbing studios, they cater to children and have a mindset that Americans are incapable of dealing with foreign culture in their TV shows, and hence completely overhaul characters and the general plot of the shows to "Americanize" them. Few studios remain true to the original's story and characters, and don't make unnecessary edits ("OMG a rice ball, American kids don't even know what rice is! WHAT WILL THEY THINK IF THEY SEE SOMEONE EATING SUCH A THING?!").

Jb

Tsun in the streets
While I don't watch regularly, I can easily say that even though I've grown up with the 4kids dub, the current one doesn't seem that much different bar the voices. Once you get pass that, I guess I can say I wouldn't mind having the old voice cast back. Though due to age and other personal reasons, the voices most likely would not sound the same anyway.

randomspot555

Care to explain why you think that? Too me, PUSA and 4kids act like most North American dubbing studios, they cater to children and have a mindset that Americans are incapable of dealing with foreign culture in their TV shows, and hence completely overhaul characters and the general plot of the shows to "Americanize" them. Few studios remain true to the original's story and characters, and don't make unnecessary edits ("OMG a rice ball, American kids don't even know what rice is! WHAT WILL THEY THINK IF THEY SEE SOMEONE EATING SUCH A THING?!").

Settings, sure, but characters? I wouldn't really agree.

A lot of the "Americanization" is done by the Japanese production team themselves. You don't get the blatant references to Japan that you got in Season 1 like in Ghost of Maiden's Peak. Johto and on, the areas are a lot more...well, generic. Ash is pretty much Satoshi, Brock is pretty much Takeshi, and so on. Maybe some of the COTDs or support characters get cleaned up a bit every now and then, but that's about it.

(Though PUSA seems pretty cool with keeping Japanese writing in tact as long as it isn't a huge sign).

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Settings, sure, but characters? I wouldn't really agree.

A lot of the "Americanization" is done by the Japanese production team themselves. You don't get the blatant references to Japan that you got in Season 1 like in Ghost of Maiden's Peak. Johto and on, the areas are a lot more...well, generic. Ash is pretty much Satoshi, Brock is pretty much Takeshi, and so on. Maybe some of the COTDs or support characters get cleaned up a bit every now and then, but that's about it.

(Though PUSA seems pretty cool with keeping Japanese writing in tact as long as it isn't a huge sign).

I think you got it the other way around, as the show has gone on, the general setting of episodes makes less specific Japanese cultural references.

When a character is Americanized, it means they have been rewritten/modified to conform with perceived "American Values". That means they make "American jokes", references to American places, and act like an archetypal "American person". In Japan, good or bad, people are a lot more lax regarding exposing children to violence and sexuality. Violence and sexual themes in children's shows creates less of an uproar (if any) than it does in America. As a result, characters in dubbed anime shows may be more "tame" and pacifist than their Japanese counterparts. This isn't necessarily bad, but it does create a noticable difference between the original show's characters and the dubbed version.

Haunter ゴースト

Well to put things in short for me:

4Kids from the Indigo League to Advanced Battle - Absulutely Brilliant.
PUSA Battle Frontier - Terrible, was enough to put me off of watching the show.
PUSA The first half of Diamond and Pearl - Not perfect, but it was acceptable.
PUSA Last half of Diamon and Pearl - After getting used to the voices, hearing them now was fine, aside from Ash, most voices imo sounded like the 4kids VA.
PUSA Best Wishes - Absolutely fine, Ash's voice sounds nothing like Veronica, but Sarah has developed her own distinctive voice for him now and it works.
Every other VA of BW is brilliant.

TL;DR

Season 1 - 8 - Brilliant.
Season 9 - ****K
Season 10 - 11 - Hmm
Season 12 - 14 - Brilliant

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Really? I thought that although the Battle Frontier took some getting used to, it turned out to be pretty acceptable. However i've disliked everything since then and I really don't understand how PUSA managed to do okay with Torkoal and Swellow in the BF, but destroyed their voices when they returned in Sinnoh..

Seriously, i'm dreading hearing the remaining reserves that weren't used in the Sinnoh League..

Haunter ゴースト

Really? I thought that although the Battle Frontier took some getting used to, it turned out to be pretty acceptable. However i've disliked everything since then and I really don't understand how PUSA managed to do okay with Torkoal and Swellow in the BF, but destroyed their voices when they returned in Sinnoh..

Seriously, i'm dreading hearing the remaining reserves that weren't used in the Sinnoh League..

I agree, not so much with Torkoal, but Swellow definetly sounded bad.

Im sure you'll be interested in what Kingler sounds like lmao! haha

I was glad Muk and Snorlax sounded okay in DP, same with the others that appeared but them inparticular.

Last edited:

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Oh no Kingler! Surely not even they could ruin the awesomeness that is 'cookiecookie'. Heck, I can do it pretty well, so i'd fly over to America and do it for them.. unpaid, lol! :(

I really miss the days when Pokemon didn't have to say their names. Kingler, Noctowl, Charizard, etc all had wicked cries, but now PUSA makes every single Pokemon say their whole name and most of the time it sucks..

Haunter ゴースト

Oh no Kingler! Surely not even they could ruin the awesomeness that is 'cookiecookie'. Heck, I can do it pretty well, so i'd fly over to America and do it for them.. unpaid, lol! :(

I really miss the days when Pokemon didn't have to say their names. Kingler, Noctowl, Charizard, etc all had wicked cries, but now PUSA makes every single Pokemon say their whole name and most of the time it sucks..

Gotta say, I was a big fan of Kingler back in the day too and that cry was beast!

To be fair, if the show asked me to voice anybody/anything I would do it unpaid just to be on the show would be an honour :p

I agree too about the cries since PUSA tookover, It's a shame really god knows how Charizard would sound these days if he said his full name.

Excadrill is my favourite Gen V Pokemon, but when I waited for BW009 and heard him say 'Excadrill' fully I was disappointed.
Still hearing him say it now has grown on me.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
I don't think all of them have to be dubbed. For example, I think BETCHES Tsunbear was fantastic in the original but having Beartic just say it's name makes it all really unnecessary.
On the other hand, most Pokes in the original also tend to say their name a lot aswell, so while 4Kids may be superior when it comes to the Pokemon voices I can understand how PUSA just wants to get things accurate.

BTW Haunter, Ash's Charizard kept his seiyuu (Shinichiro Miki, AKA James) in the dub of "Gathering the Gang of Four!", so I'd assume that they'll do the same for the other previous Pokemon that kept their seiyuus in 4Kids' dub. Like Kingler, Staryu, Togepi, and maybe all those Pokes whose 4Kids VAs are still on the PUSA scene.

Last edited:

Thingamajig

We've pretty much heard the voice that every reserve Pokemon, but there are a few that haven't been heard in the current dub. (DuArt, not the TPCi dub in general - because for seasons 9 and 10, TAJ had access to 4Kids stock audio for season 1-5 Pokemon, which DuArt does not. For instance, Snorlax had its 4Kids voice in the battle against Greta, but a new voice in the Sinnoh League) There's only likely to be one major change in the Pokemon yet to make a voice appearance in the DuArt dub.

Squritle - Michele Knotz (DuArt wouldn't have access to Eric Stuart stock audio anymore, so Michele Knots would probably do the voice she did in SSBB)
Charizard - Japanese voice
Kingler - Japanese voice
Tauros - Japanese voice

TPCii/DuArt's practice of dubbing the voices of most Pokemon that just growl, or whose names are barely audible or are only slightly modified from the Japanese names, annoys me too. Mamoswine did not need a dub voice.

Blazios

TPCii/DuArt's practice of dubbing the voices of most Pokemon that just growl, or whose names are barely audible or are only slightly modified from the Japanese names, annoys me too. Mamoswine did not need a dub voice.

Yeah, didn't they make a dub voice for Archeops?

I have to admit, Jimmy Zoppi's voices for James and Meowth still make me cringe, even though I like his voices for a lot of the other characters.

get over it noobs! although i would like to see a different va for james!! i hate jame's voice OMFG! ash is pretty cool but ill admit veronica is better
I have to agree with you. Im a very huge fan of Team Rocket especially of James, lol. ←[HOT] but i don't dislike James' new voice at all. Ash is okay for me, but Veronica holds a place in my heart made of Ash. :33

While I miss the old VAs, they are never coming back. It's been nearly 5 and quite honestly, there has been improvement. The old VAs will hold a dear place in my heart but the new ones have grown on me, to say the least.

I miss the original voices as well, but if you have hope...they will come back, trsut me. Even though its been many years, there is still hope for a group thats been working hard. Ok, yeah, there's been improvement and all and thats awesome. Although the TPCi dub has grown on me as well, ill respect them always, but Original voices will always be in my childhood's heart.

Haunter ゴースト

BTW Haunter, Ash's Charizard kept his seiyuu (Shinichiro Miki, AKA James) in the dub of "Gathering the Gang of Four!", so I'd assume that they'll do the same for the other previous Pokemon that kept their seiyuus in 4Kids' dub. Like Kingler, Staryu, Togepi, and maybe all those Pokes whose 4Kids VAs are still on the PUSA scene.

Ahh I blanked that one.

Still PUSA was in their early days then, if we ever had the original teams return it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they changed the voices to crying out their names which would be a huge downside.

I'd like to see TPCI do more clever (I guess you could say) things with the dialogue like 4kids did sometimes, but I don't think I'd want them back entirely. And considering that there's only like four characters in the show now who're were around when 4kids was dubbing (correct me if I've miscounted) there's not really a point in bringing the old actors back...

Sorry if im a bother, but there IS a point in bringing them back. The characters don't matter, what matters is that 4Kids dubbed Pokemon for the first 8 years.
The voice actors loved their roles, and that matters. There COULD be a possability that Misty might return to the series annd Rachael can voice her again, since SHE was the first to voice Misty, and Jessie. Although Eric Stuart quit VActing, Ted Lewis could voice him. and Mewth an be voiced by Nathan Price, or again by Jimmy Zoppi. Veronica will always be the original Ashy-boy, because she was the first one to be Ash, she put so much effort and emotion into him, as well and Delia and May...and Digglett x3.

There will always be a "Yes"or a "No" and a "Reason" for everything, so if you have hope that they might return then it may come true.
I know that YOU my friend STILL love the original voice actors deep inside.
The words Nostalgia and Childhood are the keywords to "bring them back" or "man i wish they returned"

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Sorry if im a bother, but there IS a point in bringing them back. The characters don't matter, what matters is that 4Kids dubbed Pokemon for the first 8 years.
The voice actors loved their roles, and that matters. There COULD be a possability that Misty might return to the series annd Rachael can voice her again, since SHE was the first to voice Misty, and Jessie. Although Eric Stuart quit VActing, Ted Lewis could voice him. and Mewth an be voiced by Nathan Price, or again by Jimmy Zoppi. Veronica will always be the original Ashy-boy, because she was the first one to be Ash, she put so much effort and emotion into him, as well and Delia and May...and Digglett x3.

There will always be a "Yes"or a "No" and a "Reason" for everything, so if you have hope that they might return then it may come true.
I know that YOU my friend STILL love the original voice actors deep inside.
The words Nostalgia and Childhood are the keywords to "bring them back" or "man i wish they returned"

You're joking right? Misty has been gone for the show for a decade and her cameos stopped back in 2005. Misty isn't coming back for Rachael Lilis to reprise her. Misty actually never appeared in a single ep PUSA dubbed and may never till the show ends.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
When a character is Americanized, it means they have been rewritten/modified to conform with perceived "American Values". That means they make "American jokes", references to American places, and act like an archetypal "American person". In Japan, good or bad, people are a lot more lax regarding exposing children to violence and sexuality. Violence and sexual themes in children's shows creates less of an uproar (if any) than it does in America. As a result, characters in dubbed anime shows may be more "tame" and pacifist than their Japanese counterparts. This isn't necessarily bad, but it does create a noticeable difference between the original show's characters and the dubbed version.

There is such a thing as wooden (Or at least, wooden translations of) Japanese dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.