• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you pre-order the Japanese games?

Do you pre-order the Japanese games?

• Yes

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
No, I don't know Japanese, they're too expensive I don't even buy brand new games I wait for a used one to go on sale somewhere, I'm cheap like that.

KGB13 said:
Yeah but what happens when your pokemon learns a new move and you have no idea what it is?
You look at the move information to see the damage/accuracy. That's what I did in SoulSilver. If I had no clue what it was, I wouldn't let it learn it unless it did damage.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
You look at the move information to see the damage/accuracy. That's what I did in SoulSilver. If I had no clue what it was, I wouldn't let it learn it unless it did damage.

But what about the many new moves in Black and White you won't be knowing all about?

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
I don't know Japanese. When I learn it, I'll probably pre-order my games. 'Til now, I'm not that hyped to shave off a few months at the expense of the entire game's content and information. I'm a Pokedex addict - if I can't read the new entries in something I understand then I won't buy the new game in Japanese. [/ocd]

Akagi

i have a wacked sis
I'd rather wait than play something i can't read

But what about the many new moves in Black and White you won't be knowing all about?
Look them up or just look at the damage and accuracy. If you're not the type who has the patience to do that, that's fine too. It all depends on the individual playing and what they're willing to do.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
It's silly to pre order the Jap games plus by the next video game generation all consles and handhelds will be region locked. The only thing that annoys me is when they have special distruibitions that are only in Japan! We better get that Ash's Pikachu distruibtion or I'll be ******!!!

Shadow XD001

Aside from not knowing Japanese, I wouldn't want to spend the money on a game if I can't read it, and not know what to do, plus it just seems like your desperate if you buy a game in a language you don't know (Japanese, for example) before the Release in your country just for the sake of buying the game. I just wait for the English Version, although it sucks waiting so long, I'm perfectly okay with it because I get to enjoy the game and get to read what they say.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I bought, but did not preorder HeartGold. I don't plan on buying the Japanese Black or White, however.

HeartGold was quite easy to play in Japanese, it having been a remake of a game I'm familiar with and with me being able to read katakana and hiragana and having a basic knowledge of the Japanese language. But when it comes to the idea of playing an RPG in Japanese that's totally new to me, I'd rather wait.

Kyukon_Mars

I haven't in the past but I'm considering doing so for Black and White. I'm studying Japanese so I think I'd be able to understand enough to get by, although I'd rather be able to understand everything the first time I play the game. Which is why I waited until HGSS came out here to get it. I just ordered a Japanese copy of SS for getting Japanese events. I'll probably get an English copy of Black or White and order a Japanese copy of the other game, I just don't know which I'll get first.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Pre-order is not the only way of getting Japanese games, BTW.
I don't get why you assume everyone pre-ordered.
That's the reason why I answered No, even though I got three Japanese versions.

That's because the question wasn't of getting Japaneses games in general, but of pre-ordering them so that you can get play them as soon as they're released without waiting for the English versions.

Look them up or just look at the damage and accuracy. If you're not the type who has the patience to do that, that's fine too. It all depends on the individual playing and what they're willing to do.

What I meant was that if they're new moves, then you wouldn't have any idea about the damage/accuracy without looking it up. Meh, I guess I just enjoy playing the game if I understand everything, even if it means waiting a tad longer :D

Serebii!

I dont pre order games I wont be able to read it and it wouldnt be as fun. If you can read japanese then go and pre order if you cant wait for the release in english

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
Just curious how many people here pre-order one or maybe both versions of the Japaneses games. I've never done it before actually, though I'm considering it for Black and White.

Same here.

Then again, as it has already been pointed out, why buy a game that you can't read?

I'm torn...

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
I pre-ordered Pokemon Platinum, HeartGold & SoulSilver & i pre-ordered Pokemon Black & White.

I don't read or understand any of the text that appears on screen whatsoever. I get the games simply because i enjoy playing them, they're great fun and a good way to wind down and relax.

I also play to hunt for shinies(having extra games helps me do this), and also because i want to make sure that i don't miss out on any potentially Japanese only WiFi events.

As for; What if your pokemon learns a new move?

Well i just look at the PP/Power & Accuracy(Which can be read by a person as young as 1 or 2 years old, because they are just numbers).

From this i can usually gauge what the attack actually is, and i can make an informed choice to learn or leave it. If i don't know the attack, or i know its one of a few moves then i check my current moves which are lower in power and i sacrifice a move i don't need/or use and replace it.

As for what about the new attacks for the 5th generation. Simplez. I'll read about all the new attacks online. So say there are likely to be 100 new attacks. Once you break that down into sub-typing, your talking less than 2 or 3 new moves per type on average, with a boastful 20 new moves for the normal type.

Oh and also, there are probably very few people who choose to raise/train a Pokemon without taking at least one look at the attacks(in the SerebiiDex/other online Dex) and choosing right away the final 4 attacks they want the Pokemon to have.

I also buy the UK games when they come out as well.

Last edited:

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Same here.

Then again, as it has already been pointed out, why buy a game that you can't read?

I'm torn...

Well, I've decided to wait. More fun that way =)

Oh and also, there are probably very few people who choose to raise/train a Pokemon without taking at least one look at the attacks(in the SerebiiDex/other online Dex) and choosing right away the final 4 attacks they want the Pokemon to have.

Nah, on my first playthrough in the games, I just impulsively catch and train Pokemon which I like while playing. I might check the Dex, but that's only after I've started training the Pokemon, just to see what moves it learns. I don't decide on the moveset, too; just go with the flow :p

I bought, but did not preorder HeartGold. I don't plan on buying the Japanese Black or White, however.

HeartGold was quite easy to play in Japanese, it having been a remake of a game I'm familiar with and with me being able to read katakana and hiragana and having a basic knowledge of the Japanese language. But when it comes to the idea of playing an RPG in Japanese that's totally new to me, I'd rather wait.
I agree. Getting through SoulSilver was fairly easy because I knew the story. However, because I couldn't understand Japanese, I had trouble figuring a few of the new things out (such as defeating the Kimono Girls before capturing Lugia). I'll probably have a harder time getting through Black and White. The wait between the Japanese and English releases, though, is what really gets to me and makes me consider buying the Japanese versions even though I can't understand a vast majority of it.