• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you respect people with tattoos?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
And I don't steal quotes from kochoupink.

People can get tattoos if they want. It doesn't make them a worse person or anything, so why disrespect them.

Ninjames

NOT JACK WILSHIRE
I don't care whether a person has a tattoo or not. As for whether I respect them or not, I think that if you find yourself not respecting someone because they have a few drawings on their body then you must think that you are better than them which is ridiculous.

Dark Latios

Beautiful Tragedy
I don't necessarily 'respect' anyone until I know them personally. I'll treat a stranger how I want to be treated. I guess, however, if they did have an offensive or ridiculous tattoo I would feel less obliged to respect them at all.. if that makes sense. I'm not too fond of those that get them where its obvious or allover and then expect to get a job at say, coach. If they fit the image of your profession.. as a tattoo artist or singer of a rock band, go ahead, but don't expect to be selling purses with ink all over your arms. I'm not going to respect someone who feels entitled when making a 'common sense' mistake. I love tasteful tattoos, but that doesn't mean the entire world does.

KingWiggins

It honestly depends.. if it's a guy who has his whole face covered in tattoos, it's obvious that said person just wants attention.
But, for someone who just has a small one on their arms or back or leg or whatever, I really don't care...
I guess it depends who the person is, too.

Mitzi

L'Etat c'est moi
Well of course I respect any and everyone with a tattoo. Why shouldn't I? They're still people too, and they're no less human than we are. I wouldn't dare to get a tattoo, but if anyone else wants to, no one is stopping you! Although, I don't think putting permanent ink on your body is healthy, if it satisfies your desires then do so.

aggron777

smell ya!
Yes as long as there worth respecting

Necro101

Why would you not respect them??? My dad has one (it's small but still). I only don't like it if they have a tattoo that discriminates any gender, religion or personne. Other than that I don't mind tattoos. (tho there are limits if you have alote I will ask myself questions).

RAWK ON

Of course. Tattoos don't change them. I grew up with my dad, and he has tattoos all over his arms, so it'd be kind of weird if I thought they were stupid or strange.
The only way I don't respect someone is if they don't respect me.

Depends on what the tattoos are of. If they're just intended as artwork to express something, then ofcourse there's no problem there. Though, usually if I'm on the wrong side of town and I see thug-esque looking individuals that are inked from head to toe, I tend to make the assumption that their tattoos are gang affiliated, and thus don't really like them as much.

Pippi

Cool
I don't really judge people by whether or not they have tattoos. Unless, maybe, if they're covered in them. Even in that scenario, it'd really fall upon what the tattoos are of.

ChinpokomonOh?

Tattoos have different meanings now then they did 20 or 30 years ago. Back then, it was mostly gangs or service men who got tattoos. Now days a lot of kids are getting them, I think there should be a line though. I'm not going to lie, I'm a pretty judgmental person, I think it's pretty dumb of people to go and get a arm sleeve or tattoos that you can't cover up with a T shirt. As soon as you get it, you are limiting your self on what jobs you can have, and yes, any corporation has the right to deny you of a job because of tattoos. If you want to get a tattoo, good get one, they can look pretty sweet. Just don't get one on your fore arms or a whole sleeve.

As for respect, I respect them just the same as I would anyone else unless it's a guy with a sleeve, then I instantly think that he's an idiot and I'm smarter than him. Why? because he got a sleeve.

Crimson_Blazer

I have plenty of tattoos, i think respect comes from attitude and personality, not the colors of ink on my skin.... Most people if they saw a picture of me in jeans and a poll would have no idea i have my leg and upper arms inked. I look preppy ppl tell me and they make a 0_o face when they see me in shorts or without a shirt

Charazemma

Being prejudiced at people with tattoos is as bad as being racist.

This. (almost, except you choose tattoos not your race...)

Its depends what the tattoos are of. If its something offensive, or.... I dont know... someone has their entire face done, then I think, like others I will make initial judgements about the person.

I think its also a generational thing. Traditionally tattoos were for sailors, prison inmates, thugs etc. This is why in interviews etc I keep mine covered as the interviewers are usually a generation older than me. I have 6 tattoos, four of which are almost always covered, and one on each arm, that I cover for formal things like job interviews etc, as I know I will most likely be judged in those situations.

I actually find guys covered in tattoos (like my tattooist, funnily enough) really hot. As long as again they're not offensive or anything.

So in answer to the title... yes, I do respect people with tattoos, I respect people generally. The only time a tattoo would cause me to disrespect someone is if they were covered in Nazi symbols or something!