• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you see another anime film winning the Academy Awards soon?

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
So Ratatouille is the winner of this year's Animated Feature Film against other two. The question is: do you see another anime film winning the Academy Award like Spirited Away, which won the 2002 award against Ice Age?

What were the other candidates in the animation section?

Anyway, only way this'll happen if Anime comes out to US in theatrical release.

Ratatouille beat Persepolis?!? That's ridiculous.

Who won best Picture? or is that not yet shown?

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Ratatouille beat Persepolis?!? That's ridiculous.

Who won best Picture? or is that not yet shown?

Ratatouille is decent in my opinion.

And the Academy Awards ends at 11:30 eastern, so don't expect it to be any time soon before they announce it.

But Juno is going to win best picture and Ellen Page is going to win best actress. If you don't agree with me, ur opinon is stewpid.

Ratatouille is decent in my opinion.

And the Academy Awards ends at 11:30 eastern, so don't expect it to be any time soon before they announce it.

But Juno is going to win best picture and Ellen Page is going to win best actress. If you don't agree with me, ur opinon is stewpid.

Maybe for best actress but I highly doubt it's going to beat either There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men.

Ratatouille is decent film. But Persepolis was a much better and well written animated film imo. Again, I'm not surprise Ratatouille won but I fell Persepolis was robbed for the title.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Maybe for best actress but I highly doubt it's going to beat either There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men.

Ratatouille is decent film. But Persepolis was a much better and well written animated film imo. Again, I'm not surprise Ratatouille won but I fell Persepolis was robbed for the title.

The Pixar film usually wins anyway.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT

DENIED

Juno was a great movie.

Ratatouille won because it received way more publicity.

And to make the effort of staying on topic. I believe eventually one of Shinkai's film will probably win. (Despite of the typical simplistic and underdeveloped Shinkai stories).

DENIED

Juno was a great movie.

Never said it isn't but It seems like tone of those two I mention is going to get the title.

Ratatouille won because it received way more publicity.

Which is why I said I think Persepolis was robbed for the oscars.

They should given award given by how good the movie is, not publicity.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Never said it isn't but It seems like tone of those two I mention is going to get the title.

Really? Not just coming from someone who loved the movie, but I really think Juno have a greater chance of winning than No Country For an Old Man.

They should given award given by how good the movie is, not publicity.

The lesser-well known Spirited Away won against the mega-popular (at that time) Ice Age. So I think on occasion Academy Awards can be quite an accurate reflection on the quality of a movie.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
CORRECTED

Juno was a great movie but doesn't match up to epic soon-to-be classics No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood.

Fix'd.

If neither of those two win, then there will--

I just can't say it.

And to make the effort of staying on topic. I believe eventually one of Shinkai's film will probably win. (Despite of the typical simplistic and underdeveloped Shinkai stories).

Uh, alright, 5 Cm. Per Sec. is a disappointment, but what's wrong with Voices of a Distant Star and The Placed Promised in Our Early Days (i.e. a romantics and less well-built version of The Wings of Honneamise)?

Really? Not just coming from someone who loved the movie, but I really think Juno have a greater chance of winning than No Country For an Old Man.

Dude, no way. The media and panels have gone to favoring darker and more brutal (along the lines of Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Apocalypse Now, Wages of Fear, etc.) films in recent years.

Anyhow, it depends on when the film came out. Jin-Roh WOULD HAVE been nominated, but was inelligible because it was distributed two years after it came out (1999). (****ing rules.)

Paprika had the closest shot in recent memory, but not even Kon's growing respect could pull through. (That, and Sony didn't promote it as much as they could have.)

I'd like to say The Girl Who Leapt Through Time -- which is the time of film that I could see going over very, very well for American audiences -- except I think it might be subjected to the two year ******** that Jin-Roh went through.

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Fix'd.

If neither of those two win, then there will--

I just can't say it.

lol

Uh, alright, 5 Cm. Per Sec. is a disappointment, but what's wrong with Voices of a Distant Star and The Placed Promised in Our Early Days (i.e. a romantics and less well-built version of The Wings of Honneamise)?

I only like Shinkai films for its great art and sounds (excluding that retarded song at the end of 5cm). I find the romantic story to be incredibly... well... I'm not gonna start another shouting match with you.

Dude, no way. The media and panels have gone to favoring darker and more brutal (along the lines of Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Apocalypse Now, Wages of Fear, etc.) films in recent years.

I will mock you when Juno wins in 20 minutes, starting... now.

Paprika had the closest shot in recent memory, but not even Kon's growing respect could pull through. (That, and Sony didn't promote it as much as they could have.)
No one is promoting animes these days.

I'd like to say The Girl Who Leapt Through Time -- which is the time of film that I could see going over very, very well for American audiences -- except I think it might be subjected to the two year ******** that Jin-Roh went through.

Which moron made that two year crap in the first place?

EDIT: WTF, Marion Cotillard won the best actress? WHY!!! ELLEN PAGE DESERVED TO WIN!

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I only like Shinkai films for its great art and sounds (excluding that retarded song at the end of 5cm). I find the romantic story to be incredibly... well... I'm not gonna start another shouting match with you.

YEAH YOU BETTER RUN--!

Though if you're thinking "unrealistic" or whatever, I'll just laugh at you.

I will mock you when Juno wins in 20 minutes, starting... now.

I'll await your post admitting defeat.

No one is promoting animes these days.

The companies -- both the North American and Japanese -- are just as much to blame in some ways for the decline as much (but definitely not more than) the fansubbers.

But that's another thread.

Which moron made that two year crap in the first place?

Dunno, but it's been in effect for a long time. Think it applies to other categories, as well, obviously.

HK

Radiance of Shadows

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
I want this on record.

I feel like killing myself.

Though if you're thinking "unrealistic" or whatever, I'll just laugh at you.

Highschool romance is realistic? But whatever, that's not my complaint for that anime. I guess it is more of a personal thing.

Sigh... I have a lot of personal things against various animes.

I'll await your post admitting defeat.

NEVER! THE ACADEMY IS STEWPID. And really, No Country For An Old Man won because it had, again, greater publicity (and just because Tommy Lee Jones was in it).

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Highschool romance is realistic?

Except it isn't high school romance.

Sigh... I have a lot of personal things against various animes.

So it seems.

And really, No Country For An Old Man won because it had, again, greater publicity (and just because Tommy Lee Jones was in it).

No Country for Old Men won because it's a masterful film with an unconventional story and Bardem pulled off what would be the performance of the decade were it not for Daniel Day-Lewis giving one of the best acts in the history of cinema.

And as important as Jones' character is in the film, his place and attention is largely insignificant (part of the point of the story, but whatever).

HyperCyber

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT
Except it isn't high school romance.

Not as in the "highschool romance lol" highschool romance, but rather the age of the characters were really incompatible with their maturity.

No Country for Old Men won because it's a masterful film with an unconventional story and Bardem pulled off what would be the performance of the decade were it not for Daniel Day-Lewis giving one of the best acts in the history of cinema.

And Juno wasn't? I know it is tough for a comedy-orientated movie to with the Oscarz. But the movie itself was quirky and contained a lot of satirical materials. And the best thing is, it doesn't try really hard to be funny.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Not as in the "highschool romance lol" highschool romance, but rather the age of the characters were really incompatible with their maturity.

Dude, age has jack-**** to do with maturity. And that complaint is only applicapable to Voices of a Distant Star, anyway.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
COUNTER MY STATEMENT ABOUT JUNO FIRST!

There's nothing to counter. I generally agree with it.

With age comes experience, and with experience comes maturity.I don't what makes this logic infallible.

People are wired different. People also have different circumstances and encounters, thus different type and amounts of experience.

I know a fair amount of teenagers (including myself, in some ways) who are more mature than a lot of adults. Just because the opportunity is present doesn't mean that it's going to actually take place.

Thus, your logic = fallible.