1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you see any of the main characters as actually 10?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham So proud of you

It’s not even because of time flow but just based on dialogue and they way they are drawn, I just don’t see most of these kids being only ten. I suppose maybe May, Iris, Sophocles and Lillie could maybe pass for ten but that’s about it. Naturally people like Brock and Cilan are not ten but the vast majority I don’t see canonically as ten.

janejane6178 likes this.
  2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ "Christina"

I guess Iris and Lillie seem the most like they're 10

3. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

Yes besides for Brock, the TRio, Misty, Kiawe, Gladion, and Dento.

MockingJ likes this.
  4. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Kiawe's certainly not.

And I refuse to accept that DP and XY Ash were '10'. Early teens for DP was what it felt like, maybe Dawn too.

5. Sham

Sham So proud of you

Why Misty?

6. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Actually Misty I think was confirmed 10. Admittedly she only remotely looks so physically in SM.

I think the design team caught themselves on occasion with the bizarre fan service vs their dumbed down ages (the games have unconfirmed ages). They gave May a less busty design in DP as well and they gave Serena a more childlike attire midway through XY, both of them are meant to be younger than Misty.

satopi and MockingJ like this.
  7. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Design aside, May explicitly mentions her age as ten in her introduction

Ash is and always will be ten, even if he doesn't act like it, because writing kids is hard, as Max showed, which Bonnie thankfully improved on

As for the Alolan classmates' ages, while numbers are a no-go, I'd say from oldest to youngest it'd be Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, Lana, Lillie, with the latter three being within a year of one another

Gladion is probably five or six years Lillie's senior given their flashback scenes

8. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I think Satoshi, Iris, Hikari, and Citron are the characters who consistently acted their age the most. I felt that Haruka also had a childish personality at first, but she ended up becoming more mature as the AG saga progressed.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  9. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

No tbh. The only ones I can even see being 10 are Sophocles, Iris, Lana, post-haircut Serena, and oddly Clemont. The rest always came off as being young/mid teens, no thanks to their designs (May being the most obvious one, but Mallow’s up there too) and the way their personalities are so far removed from actual ten year olds. May was a bit childish in AG, but it always felt like the playful teen girl way and not the bratty little kid way.

I still don’t think Gladion is that much older than Lillie. He looks and acts 13/14 at most, but there’s really no way to distinguish ages from flashbacks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Zoruagible and MockingJ like this.
  10. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Well Sophocles, Clemont, Iris, May & Dawn all acted like ten year olds in the sense that they showed a lot of immaturity sometimes and acted like average kids. Ash acts like one too most of the time but I don't want to get into another "is Ash still ten?!!!1!!" debate.

Pikachu979 likes this.
  11. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

She seemed a bit older and more womanly back when she met Ash. It’s probably her OS design as well but everyone was a bit oddly designed too like Ash and Brock having a six pack in some beach scenes.

PorcelainVulpix and KenzeyEevee like this.
  12. Poke Master 7

Poke Master 7 Boulder Trainer

I don't think that all of the cast members are meant to be 10 aside from Ash, each regional girl, Iris and Misty. The third party members (Brock, Tracy, Cilan, Clemont) I believe are meant to be older than the other 2.

13. How the hell can SM Ash and XY Ash both be 10? SM Ash looks like a 10 year old, but XY Ash looks like 16 years old

LilligantLewis, Redstar45 and Emelie like this.
  14. Poke Master 7

Poke Master 7 Boulder Trainer

I more question how SM Ash and XY Ash can even be the same person.

15. LOL the classmates of Ash would be shocked if they saw XY Ash on a photo lol

16. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I've never understood the claims that Satoshi looked older in XY than he did in previous sagas. He was approximately the same height that he was in OS, AG, DP and BW, and the only major aesthetic difference was that his hair had grown out a tiny bit and he had fingernails in XY, which were probably both due to the animation style change more than anything else.

17. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I think everyone can act like immature imo. I for one who watch the daily news, there's powerful middle aged politicians that act like one too.

As for the characters being aged 10, I never took the age seriously, mainly because of the whole traveling aspect in which could less likely be done with any 10 years old irl, but it's obvious that there's characters that look younger than their game counterparts because of the targeted audience from the show.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  18. horrahforyou

horrahforyou Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life

Ash is 10 and always be 10 no matter how his character grow through the years
    May
    Dawn
    I'll say that Serena might be 10 as well as she looks like as same age as Ash during that summer camp flashback.
    Lillie

19. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Well yeah everyone knows that. The OP isn't asking what Ash's actual age is, he just wants to know if the rest of us think that he looks/acts his age.

20. Aduro

Aduro Mt.BtlMaster

I can see most of them being a type of 10 year old personality wise. If a little less annoying and badly behaved than most 10 year olds in real life. Although it varies from scene to scene. Its normal for fantasy series to have children aged rapidly beyond their years due to traumatic events, but Ash seems to yoyo from emotionally dealing with massive consequences and having a carefree and cheerful attitude, enjoying a nice time with his team and companions. Sometimes Ash acts more mature and a few characters are clearly abnormally serious for their ages. The difference is in the way that the world around them doesnt' treat them like kids, and there aren't consequences for that kind of thing.

The visual differences are more unbelievable coming from the grownups. For example Ash's mother, who is presumably in her 30s has a face similar to characters in their mid teens.

LilligantLewis, Redstar45 and Shadao like this.