• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you see any of the main characters as actually 10?

Sham

The Guardian of War
It’s not even because of time flow but just based on dialogue and they way they are drawn, I just don’t see most of these kids being only ten. I suppose maybe May, Iris, Sophocles and Lillie could maybe pass for ten but that’s about it. Naturally people like Brock and Cilan are not ten but the vast majority I don’t see canonically as ten.

DatsRight

Yes besides for Brock, the TRio, Misty, Kiawe, Gladion, and Dento.

Actually Misty I think was confirmed 10. Admittedly she only remotely looks so physically in SM.

I think the design team caught themselves on occasion with the bizarre fan service vs their dumbed down ages (the games have unconfirmed ages). They gave May a less busty design in DP as well and they gave Serena a more childlike attire midway through XY, both of them are meant to be younger than Misty.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Design aside, May explicitly mentions her age as ten in her introduction

Ash is and always will be ten, even if he doesn't act like it, because writing kids is hard, as Max showed, which Bonnie thankfully improved on

As for the Alolan classmates' ages, while numbers are a no-go, I'd say from oldest to youngest it'd be Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, Lana, Lillie, with the latter three being within a year of one another

Gladion is probably five or six years Lillie's senior given their flashback scenes

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think Satoshi, Iris, Hikari, and Citron are the characters who consistently acted their age the most. I felt that Haruka also had a childish personality at first, but she ended up becoming more mature as the AG saga progressed.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
No tbh. The only ones I can even see being 10 are Sophocles, Iris, Lana, post-haircut Serena, and oddly Clemont. The rest always came off as being young/mid teens, no thanks to their designs (May being the most obvious one, but Mallow’s up there too) and the way their personalities are so far removed from actual ten year olds. May was a bit childish in AG, but it always felt like the playful teen girl way and not the bratty little kid way.

I still don’t think Gladion is that much older than Lillie. He looks and acts 13/14 at most, but there’s really no way to distinguish ages from flashbacks.

Last edited:

MockingJ

Banned
Well Sophocles, Clemont, Iris, May & Dawn all acted like ten year olds in the sense that they showed a lot of immaturity sometimes and acted like average kids. Ash acts like one too most of the time but I don't want to get into another "is Ash still ten?!!!1!!" debate.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
I don't think that all of the cast members are meant to be 10 aside from Ash, each regional girl, Iris and Misty. The third party members (Brock, Tracy, Cilan, Clemont) I believe are meant to be older than the other 2.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
How the hell can SM Ash and XY Ash both be 10? SM Ash looks like a 10 year old, but XY Ash looks like 16 years old

I've never understood the claims that Satoshi looked older in XY than he did in previous sagas. He was approximately the same height that he was in OS, AG, DP and BW, and the only major aesthetic difference was that his hair had grown out a tiny bit and he had fingernails in XY, which were probably both due to the animation style change more than anything else.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Well Sophocles, Clemont, Iris, May & Dawn all acted like ten year olds in the sense that they showed a lot of immaturity sometimes and acted like average kids. Ash acts like one too most of the time but I don't want to get into another "is Ash still ten?!!!1!!" debate.
I think everyone can act like immature imo. I for one who watch the daily news, there's powerful middle aged politicians that act like one too.

As for the characters being aged 10, I never took the age seriously, mainly because of the whole traveling aspect in which could less likely be done with any 10 years old irl, but it's obvious that there's characters that look younger than their game counterparts because of the targeted audience from the show.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I can see most of them being a type of 10 year old personality wise. If a little less annoying and badly behaved than most 10 year olds in real life. Although it varies from scene to scene. Its normal for fantasy series to have children aged rapidly beyond their years due to traumatic events, but Ash seems to yoyo from emotionally dealing with massive consequences and having a carefree and cheerful attitude, enjoying a nice time with his team and companions. Sometimes Ash acts more mature and a few characters are clearly abnormally serious for their ages. The difference is in the way that the world around them doesnt' treat them like kids, and there aren't consequences for that kind of thing.

The visual differences are more unbelievable coming from the grownups. For example Ash's mother, who is presumably in her 30s has a face similar to characters in their mid teens.