1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you see any of the main characters as actually 10?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

XY Satoshi wore a jacket and pants that weren't as baggy like in the previous series. Consequently, the clothes make him look thinner and thus taller in comparison. Additionally, his z cheek marks were smaller and fainter, almost invisible if you're not looking carefully. This, along with the longer hair tuffs overlapping his ears, gives the impression of him growing into a preteen if not a teenager already (and considering that some sources say that z cheek marks signify a child's spirit energy and would disappear into adulthood, fading z cheek marks only adds suspicion of an older design).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Additionally, XY Satoshi was intentionally designed with FRLG Red in mind according to Tetsuo Yajima. And FRLG Red, although stated to be at best 11 years old, does look like a preteen.

[​IMG]

Fun fact, the hair tuffs overlapping Satoshi's ears are confirmed to be inspired by Red's own overlapping hair tuffs (or sideburns as Yajima said).

Combine that with a much more action-prone Satoshi, Serena's crush on Satoshi, a much younger traveling companion Eureka and the lack of any older mentors in the XY gang (Citron is the closest to role of Takeshi and Dento, but even he looks up to Satoshi as an inspiration for his own journey), and Satoshi truly looks much older than the purported age of 10.

Heck, I recall that some folks who worked on the Pokémon Anime admitted on Twitter that XY Satoshi looked far too old and that's why SM Satoshi was intentionally designed to actually look like a 10-year old.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always thought about that. These kids are so mature to be 10 years old. Can you imagine 10 year olds fighting wild animals and terrorist organizations? Traveling alone in forests? They look at least 14 years old.

It's the same with Saint Seiya. Seiya is 13 years old, but I can't imagine a kid fighting to death, losing so much blood.

Emelie and Leonhart like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I do think that sometimes Satoshi and his friends and rivals showcase intelligence that is beyond their years. Satoshi himself can be dense on occasion, but there are times when he formulates strategies that normal ten year old kids probably wouldn't be able to come up with on the fly.

PokemonKnight, Redstar45 and Emelie like this.
  4. shoz999

shoz999 IT WAS ME! SETETH!

Some of the protagonists from the games are actually 14 years old. You know what's funny though? Mallow is supposedly 10 in the anime right? In the games, Mallow is hinted to be one of the older trial captains, as possibly old as 19.

LilligantLewis and Emelie like this.
  5. Emelie

Emelie Bookworm

I have a hard time believing that Mamane and Mao are the same age. The difference in maturity was so jarring in the episode when Mamane throws a tantrum because he thought he was going to move away.

First it's established that Mamane is too young to learn how to cook and do basic housework but then what about Mao? The scene when Mao is busy cooking for the party and Mamane (who knows he isn't going to move) is being awkward in the background stood out to me. It felt like Mao was a mature woman almost like a mother to Mamane who acted like a really small child. The height difference doesn't help either.

I guess her mother is dead but that also enforces some outdated stereotypes about women. To be fair they did adress it in the episode when Mao was fed up with her dad but still.

Redstar45, shoz999 and Leonhart like this.
  6. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Mao doesn't look quite that old to me in the games, so that's surprising. If she's really that old though, then it seems like the anime de-aged her by a lot, which gives me hope that they could do the same to Sonia from the Shield and Sword games and add her to the main cast in the anime.

shoz999 likes this.
  7. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

However, Sonia is possibly even older, 20s to be exact. You can't exactly deage someone in their 20s down to their early teens without it being jarring.

Twilight-Kun and maartjeverhoef like this.
  8. Sham

Sham So proud of you

Nobody really knows the ages of the trial captains so they’re assumed to be between 11-19.

9. CMButch

CMButch Well-Known Member

Weird theory; but I always see Ash as 10 but near the region-end I see him as 12, then new region comes he's back at 10 aka reset. I don't see him 13 because he would be "teen" ( hence the name). I don't see much of a change of appearance between 10 and 12 though( like IRL).So, basically I see every region or two( OS) 2 years.

OS:Beginning: Ash(10), Misty(10),Brock(15)(Tracy is also 15). End of OS: 2 years, Brock would be 17. A&M 12.
    AG: Ash is back 10 and Brock is back at being 15( because I don't see Brock being 20-something year old, lol, May 10, Max is 7 then in the end of AG they age 2 years etc etc.
    Basically, I think time resets every 2 years.( They age then de-age).So, I'd say Ash is currently 12 and he will be 10 in November.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    MockingJ and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  10. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I can understand why some people might view Satoshi as being older at the end of each saga since so much time has passed by then, and he's more experienced by that point as well. It's just a shame that Satoshi always has to start over fresh at the beginning of the following saga.

Emelie, Redstar45 and MockingJ like this.
  11. I prefer to think of the characters as either "young kid", "kid", "teenager" and "adult". Putting a precise age on things doesn't seem worthwhile to me because really, what's the difference between a 10 and a 11 year old? Or a 12 and 13 year old? Especially in anime where there's little correlation between age and appearance anyway.

So to me, Ash and friends are just "kids" and I expect them to behave as "kids" do. They tend to have simplistic thoughts and desires, but occasionally they come out with a wisdom you wouldn't expect, which makes them appear older. Brock, Jesse, James, etc. are "teenagers", who notably do things that the "kids" don't understand and have more agency in their decision making, but crucially there's still a lot about the world and themselves that they don't understand.

MockingJ likes this.
  12. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are older in the games(Red is 1 year older than Ash), but in the anime ''supposedly'' they are 10. But no 10 years old would to act like the anime characters.

Emelie, Redstar45 and MockingJ like this.
  13. Thumbs2

Thumbs2 Well-Known Member

I can see any of the characters as 10, honestly. Fictional children act like teenagers in a lot of things because nobody can write children.

MockingJ likes this.
  14. BlueDragonfangirl

BlueDragonfangirl Well-Known Member

Sun and Moon Ash I can picture 10 but XY Ash nope, he looked like he was 14 in my opinion. Hell, I remember when we first got that XY poster reveal everyone thought for once he'd aged but LOL surprise.

Even DP Ash and Ag Ash looked older than 10. I thought May looked older and so did Dawn.

The only other characters I could tell looked their age one of them definitely being Lillie and the other Iris.

Emelie and Shadao like this.
  15. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

16. SatoSereFan224888

SatoSereFan224888 Well-Known Member

Ash looked at least 16 years old in Kalos. Serena looked like she was 14 or 15.

LilligantLewis and Emelie like this.
  17. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

So her game counterpart was 18?

18. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

Problem is that game never referred pc characters age in xy games but art had them look like teenagers

LilligantLewis likes this.
  19. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

I don't get how anyone could think that Ash looked 16 when he was still a midget compared to every single adult and most teenagers like Alain. Same applies to his friends who weren't exactly tall either.

20. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

The user is into their marriage and them having childrens, so of course he had to boost their ages, and by extension making the kiss at the end of XY more legitimate.