• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still enjoy pokemon as much as you ever have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Musician

Heracross trainer
Sadly after 15 years, no. I was 9 when Pokemon came out and from then until mid-3rd generation I was as happy as could be with it. I've enjoyed the games up until now, but less and less with each generation. Part of it is the cookie-cutter mold for every new generation, but I think most of it is just plain old growing up. I'm not a kid anymore and these things just don't have the same effect on me (personally) anymore.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
My interest in the series has fallen dramatically. The games are too similar and repetitive, I find, and after almost ten years, it's often hard to keep coming back to them. I do enjoy the games for a while, but they fail to hold my attention for months at a time – as they once did – when there are far more varied and appealing games out there.

Pretty much this. I really liked Gold (original Gold, not Heart Gold) and Ruby, but after that, my interest started dropping rapidly. I never really got into Diamond that well and while Black was pretty good, I just don't care for X and Y at all. I'm just dead-tired of the whole new fledgeling trainer collecting eight badges and defeating evil Team routine. It does feel like all they've been doing with the series is giving each one a new coat of paint, but in all, it's still the same old experience. Doing a Nuzlocke run through Black was a good way to breathe new life into the same tired approach, but I think I'm done there.

For a while, I really enjoyed the Mystery Dungeon series, but I did find that while the storylines were interesting, intriguing, emotional, captivating, and kept you pushing on to see more of it develop, the actual gameplay itself was pretty monotonous and sleep-inducing. The whole randomized dungeons was interesting at first, until you realized that unlike other games, there weren't any real puzzles to solve or interesting labyrinth setups where you go from one end of the labyrinth to the other, such as what you would do in a Legend of Zelda game. Instead, it was just one long marathon through F1 to however many floors there were, mindlessly bashing in the heads of whatever Pokemon got in your way. That, and there were only the dungeons. I would have liked to see more side-quests or free-roam exploring going on. More towns, more hidden secrets, and more free-roaming would have been way more appreciated.

Ferrodon

I would say that I'm actually into it much more so now than I was when it first came out- part of it is because they actually finally got a handle on how to design game mechanics, and part because the games that someone like me is "supposed" to like are often dull or actively horrid to my sensibilities in some way or another.

Rakurai

I'm not interested in the series as I had been back in gen 1 and 2, but probably more so then in gens 3 and 4.

Unfortunately no, because I find that I don't have the time to spend on enjoying it due to having so many other commitments to deal with. I miss those days when I was young playing Gold Version and my homework was a few spelling words or something, now I have much harder things to deal with.

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
The peak of my interest was back in 1998. Back then, the games were more of an adventure. I went into the games fresh, that late September, not even knowing that the anime existed. I knew some faces from the commercials, but no names. I knew nothing of types, stats, badges, evolution, or even how to battle. I went in, started the game up, wandered around blindly for a few minutes before triggering the event that lead to me receiving my Squirtle. Everything was new, to me and everyone around me. I learned about the existence of most Pokemon from actually finding them myself, sometimes from my friends. They were days of rumors, where everyone would share their stories of what happened in their games the night before, some true and some false.

I remember when I first learned about Legendary Pokemon; being unable to figure out how to work Blaine's gym, wandering around blindly, exploring caverns and eventually accidentally bumping into Articuno. I remember hearing stories of something called "Mewtwo," which no one seemed to be able to confirm even existed. Rumors soon rose of a Pokemon that was said to be a great phoenix, formed by the three Legendary Birds forming together. Proof? You can see it in the first episode of the show! There was no other basis, but adventures ensued, exploring every inch of my Blue Version, trying to figure out how to combine these birds, never knowing it was fruitless, and at the same time, never caring. It wasn't a game; it was a world that begged to be explored. I have clear memories of my shock when I first discovered a Muk, amazed that I was still discovering new Pokemon at such a late stage. I remember suiciding into the Elite Four for weeks on end, slowly raising my team up, eventually managing to beat my rival, and experiencing the joy of an adventure that was only just beginning.

I daresay this wasn't even my peak, though! 100 new Pokemon!?!? This game, which I had spent the past two years mastering and exploring, was now being expanded upon! The world felt more alive than ever, mysteries being contained within the Day to Night Cycle, the ability to Headbutt trees, and Pokemon so Legendary that they would roam the world, refusing to be captured or otherwise tied down! The rumors escalated, and the adventure was reborn into its finest form.

By the time Ruby and Sapphire came out, I was beginning to... understand better. The games became among my favorite (actually, Ruby is still my personal favorite of all Pokemon games), but things started to become more calm. I approached rare Pokemon in a more business-like manner, holding excitement but no longer the pure joy and awe that I had once felt. The new Pokemon were some of my favorites, but the spectacle of an addition to the Pokedex was becoming lost. I remember attending a Deoxys event, and battling a trainer in the Union Room whose Pokemon could destroy my team despite being level 100 themselves, and I began to research Natures, EVs, IVs, movesets, type coverage, breeding, and so much more. My first ever shiny, a Girafarig, filled me with more of a feeling of excitement than wonder since I had read up on the existence of shinies outside of the red Gyarados that I had come to know. While my love for Pokemon never faded, the emotions that the franchise had filled me with back in Silver simply were no longer there, replaced with others. I began to put more time into other games, with the Pokemon franchise soon becoming, in essence, a friend that I could come back to should I need cheering up. It became my go-to for guaranteed enjoyment, but it was simply no longer what it once was to me.

In short, no. Despite Pokemon being among my favorite games of all time, my love for it peaked in Generation II, and due in large part to my greater understanding of the franchise, I have no confidence that I will ever come remotely close to that peak again.

Golemite

Basically what the poster above said. Well maneuvered, Rayze Darr!

When I started following Pokémon I was instantly hooked with the anime with childish joy and innocence. Nowadays I'm far more cynical and different things about Pokémon interest me, not various monsters, colors and flashy moves per se. Nowadays it's more like the cultures and influences behind Pokémon, good natures and stats, the ingenious concept of seemingly neverending collecting itself, and, of course, the nostalgy value of remembering what Pokémon felt like when I was a kid.

Also, to some extenct, there are good art concepts to be found, some good planning behind the complex battling system, and I support their nature first, peace, etc. ideologies as well.

But no, it's nowhere near as interesting as it was when I got hooked. I'm twice that age now...

Gotta mention that when Pokémon came in the late 90s we didn't even have internet yet. So all the information about a Pokémon's whereabouts, how to evolve them, etc. was through gossips, legends. Now that was some insanely cool gameplaying! :D

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I think I like pokemon even more than I did in 1999. With all of the new ones and new features.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I still love and enjoy Pokemon to this day. I have been playing the games since 1998, I may be much older now, but I still love the series. I grew out of a lot of stuff growing up, but Pokemon has always stuck close to me, because of how much I loved Pokemon growing up.

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
My love for the series has steadily declined over the past few years. I was instantly hooked once I started playing Diamond. I didn't even know what to do, so i only trained my starter (an empoleon) until level 100. I then realized the real point of the game and made a full team in Platinum. Those days when I was engulfed in Platinum's plot was probably my high point. To this day i think that Platinum is the best game though, i guess it's a matter of sentimental value. After HG/SS, i was still hyped about the series. Then black and white came out, which i thought were fantastic. I lost touch though, for many reasons. I think that before i stop playing for good, i'll replay Platinum one last time.

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
I only enjoy the Pokemon franchise as much I do, but not the main series games or PO/PS. :/ It's just gotten boring over the days, I haven't played Black since 12/28/12. ._. And PS since February. Though I still do love the franchise and I'm writing a story dedicated to it, I'm mostly into the non-main-series side of Pokemon and non-video games-side of Pokemon. ^^; Though, I'm sure when X and Y come out I'll buy it immediately. XD

EDIT: Also, my interest for the main series games and PO/PS has dropped beyond drastically. ._.

Last edited:

Meeker

It needs a fence.
I feel that I'm into it more that I had before. I mean, Pokemon isn't my favorite game, but I still like it.

I suppose I still enjoy the Pokemon franchise, since I still like buying some of its merchandise. But when it comes to the games, I have to admit that it's a little time-consuming and exhausting.

AquaMeow

I am 21 years old and in college and YES I still love Pokemon just as much and more as when I did when I was a little kid.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I like Pokémon more now than I did back then. When I was a kid, I was naive and self-centered. Nowadays I'm just self-centered. :p

Regardless, since I'm a lot more intelligent now than I was as a kid, I'm able to enjoy the games and even the Pokémon themselves a lot more; back then, I was really into Pokémon, but I didn't care too much for RBY and was instead more interested in the anime. I did grow to love the games during the time of GSC and RS, but I still don't think that I was able to appreciate them quite like I do now.

Ninfia-Fan

Yes! I'll enjoy it even more with the release of X and Y. Based on what I've seen o far, I have high expectations for the two games.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Yes, I think so. I think it's because I only play it when I want to, and I don't worry about the cheating and stress that comes with the competive stuff, but just having fun and trading to fill my Dex. I tend to have a period of inactivity pokemon-wise after beating the elite four and champion, but even after the next game comes out, and the next, I still end up playing my old games.

Hikatoshi26

I enjoy the anime more than I ever did due to the fact i dont watch the dub. The time learning jap was worth it haha. the games are fun for me because i play with friends and I dont battle competitively I play enough games seriously i dont want to add pokemon to that list. I like to raise my 5 teams (power,cool,cute,electric, and random) and wait for the next one.

PrinceCherry

A Giant Robot
I'm still loving pokémon as much as I did back when I started to play it, maybe more; that said, I'm a very distracted person and college (plus other interest I picked along the road) didn't help that at all, so my interest for the series fades from time to time.
When that happens, there's usually something new that I do like to try in the games that gets me back to the series every time, like trying contests or the pokéathlon or playing nuzlocke challenges. Sometimes I write stories about the characters or train themed pokémon.
I dunno, I feel like there is still a lot to try in every game and that always keeps my love for the series going.

Dr. Evan

The Good Doctor
I was 15 when Pokemon first came out. I am 30 years old now, and it fills me with as much joy as it ever did. I still play the games on a regular basis, found a new love of TCG through the online app, and just love it in general. Its something I have never really been able to put my finger on why I feel so strongly about Pokemon as a whole. Its basically my happy place, the anime which tons of people seem to dislike never fails to lighten my mood. Hahaha, I didn't mean to babble there, but yes, I still love in now, if not more, than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.