• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still enjoy pokemon as much as you ever have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Yes I actually still enjoy it a lot. It was declining rapidly when it was on its fourth generation, but was brought back up by fifth.

I enjoy capturing my favorite Pokemon and making them grow strong. Its like... mini accomplishments that give a bit of happiness every time.

Dagur

I'm not as into it as I was when I was younger, but the idea of finding and capturing new Pokemon is what I enjoy most about Pokemon.

Cutty

Forever now
I still enjoy it and play it from time to time.

KitsyLove

Just recently I bought Black 2 and I'm enjoying it like I always enjoyed my pokemon games when I was young (pokemon Red), like a little fangirl. xD
Though I wasn't so sure about Diamond/Pearl/Platinum series. It somehow lacked something that I just can't place. Good thing B/W totally revived my enthusiasm~

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
I still enjoy Pokemon as much as I did the day I started almost five years ago. But I went through this stage where I just didn't play it at all. But I'm glad I got back into it because it is such a good game.

D

Deleted member 300066

Honestly no, I pretty much never play any more, I'm skipping the next mystery dungeon for various reasons. I'll still play X and Y, but probably just once.

However, I still hang around here for the non-pokemon sections. And the occasional dabble in the pokemon sections.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
Yes I still enjoy it very much apart from some crappy designs. I hope x and y provides cooler Pokemon because in this gen it showed they were running out of ideas. I play it almost every day but Sapphire was the most enjoyable time I had with Pokemon.

CrackedPeppers

Camerupt Trainer
I love Pokémon, but the after game can be improved. I just don't find catching a few secret legendaries (apart from Rayquaza) that exciting, or the battle frontier. I did like the White Treehollow, just for the fact you could get a shiny Dratini from it, and it has a more open feel than the battle tower.

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
Im try to enjoy the game itself, but I hate competition and IV's and such. It's all so confusing now.
I still play it, but I just think it's more complex now.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I love Pokémon, but the after game can be improved. I just don't find catching a few secret legendaries (apart from Rayquaza) that exciting, or the battle frontier. I did like the White Treehollow, just for the fact you could get a shiny Dratini from it, and it has a more open feel than the battle tower.
It would be really cool if in the after game, you were actually acknowledged as the champion and maybe somehow challenged by random trainers by calling you or just encountering you.

Codeepfly

MyCaruba
Actually, I only DO random playthroughs. I never battle competitively, I don't train my Pokemon with EVs or IVs or egg moves. Probably because its too boring to learn ow to competitivly battle, and more easy to just enjoy the game as it is.

And yes, I do enjoy the games as much as I use to when I bought Diamond. In fact, I enjoy them even MORE now.

I see what your saying but I wouldn't call competitive battling boring. Just difficult. True I don't competitive battle because I believe EV training is very difficult and time consuming. That takes the fun out of the game for me. I usually just stick to random playthtoughs with some occasional breeding.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Yes I still enjoy it very much apart from some crappy designs. I hope x and y provides cooler Pokemon because in this gen it showed they were running out of ideas. I play it almost every day but Sapphire was the most enjoyable time I had with Pokemon.
Ugh no this generation was most certainly not running out of ideas.
I see what your saying but I wouldn't call competitive battling boring. Just difficult. True I don't competitive battle because I believe EV training is very difficult and time consuming. That takes the fun out of the game for me. I usually just stick to random playthtoughs with some occasional breeding.

You could just go on PO/PS and build a team there, without the harsh EV grinding.

Mewtwo415

Minecraft Hacker
I definitely do not enjoy Pokemon as much anymore. I started playing Red, and was so addicted I played every chance I had. This continued until I completed Diamond. I lost interest in Diamond and hardly play the new games, especially Gen 5, but I still play the pre-Gen 4 games a lot.

Tyranitarquake

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!
I don't even play pokemon anymore. I'm hoping XY gets me back in though, I don't wanna let go of the game I grew up with.

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
I personally don't like playing the main stories of the new games anymore; Team Galatic as antagonists were interesting, and they were improved in Platinum, but we just didn't see that much from Cyrus and his reasonings for his believes were never fully explained. Then we had the epilogue with Charon which, was interesting, but just seemed like a last ditch effort. Seeing Saturn after the game was fun, but still, there was so much build up for nothing.

Then we went to 5th gen with Team Plasma; there were good and bad parts to me, but mostly bad. N, as a character, was brilliant; he was incredibly unique, brought an anti-hero feeling to the villainous team, and just offered a nice story for us all to think about. Then, enter Ghetis, who makes the grand revelation that team plasma are only meant to serve him, and that his son is insignificant. After that, I just grew annoyed and tapped the buttons away, waiting to complete the game. I was interested in the whole of clashing with N, fighting over our actual beliefs, but then the cheap endbattle with Ghetis ruined it for me.

I also thought Black 1 and White 1 were just so easy. The elite 4 only had four pokemon, your rivals had the same and 3 pokemon was the maximum for gym leaders, and the final battle was not with the champion but with Ghetis. It just felt too easy to play through and it never challenged me; it was long, had a lot of places to explore which was fun, but just felt too easy. It was improved a bit in B2W2, but I just thought it wasn't enough.

The competitiveness of the metagames is what keeps me playing though; I find that as good as ever and that will keep drawing me to the games. The anime's also took a turn for the worse imo, but I'll still be drawn to it, out of curiousity. I used to watch DP episodes, but now I don't watch any of the best wishes episodes as it just feels too different.

So overall, I don't enjoy pokemon as much as I have done before, but I think the main reason for that...Is because I grew up :(

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
I was a HUGE Pokemon fan at the beginning. I grew up during the times of R/B/Y, the original movies, the original series, etc. Basically when Pokemon was IT. I loved the games back then.
Around 2003, when the Advanced Generation began, I abandoned Pokemon for two reasons. One, because I just disliked the new series, didn't like the new characters, new Pokemon, etc. Secondly, because I was starting middle school, and it wasn't all that "cool" anymore. Some kids still liked it, but like the vast majority, I didn't. I held on to my beloved Game Boy Color, and my Pokemon Yellow and Silver cartridges.

I played both games off and on over the next few years. I probably played them once in high school, just to put them back on the shelf about a week or so later.

It wasn't until 2011 that I started to really get back into Pokemon. I was in college, and watching a bit of the new Unova series (I didn't watch Pokemon AT ALL from 2003-2011, with the exception of maybe one episode from Hoenn and one episode from Sinnoh. But, I heard about the new Unova series, and decided to give it a try). I decided to get back into Pokemon, playing my old games over, watching the original series again, and eventually selling my old games along with my GBC for a GBA with Pokemon Emerald. It was a pleasant change, I actually enjoyed the game greatly. Everyone in college around me was also getting back into Pokemon, although for the most part, they stuck with their old Game Boy Colors and Pokemon R/B/Y. Most college "Pokemon" fans on campuses tend to be fans of the original series, and the originals only.

I got my first DS, along with my first Pokemon game last summer, Pokemon White. I absolutely loved it, by far one of my favs of the entire series. Gen 5 now ranked behind Gen 1 as my all time favorite Pokemon generation. That game was an experience of another sort! Simply epic.

Then I got Pokemon SoulSilver for Christmas. It was ok, I guess. Some features from the original games were missed (ex. the Game Corner being replaced by "Mr. Game", etc.). But the new features, including the Battle Frontier, were awesome. Around that time, I got, well, how do I say it, a bit too obessed with the games. I started taking a ride on the "serious" side of Pokemon gaming. Natures, EV's, IV's, etc. It was getting out of control. At one point, I'd probably "soft-reset" my game 30-40 times just to get "the perfect nature" for my starter. Crazy stuff.........

Eventually, I got out of that, and began to enjoy Pokemon as a game, as I used to as a young child. I think that's the KEY to playing Pokemon; enjoy the adventure and enjoy the game. Don't turn it into some kind of complex examination. I like playing it that way much better, now. Disregarding natures, EV's, IV's, and all that competitive mess is so much more freeing than falling into it. Giving the games a rest is also a good idea as you get older; it's more fun to come back to a Pokemon game that you haven't played in a while than to be playing it every day.......

As for the future, I turn 21 this summer, and I'm considering what course I might take where Pokemon is concerned. Most likely, I'll get a 3DS, Pokemon White 2, Pokemon Y when it comes out, and continue the adventure. The Pokemon World Tournament looks simply excellent.

After all these years, one thing's for sure, that magic of getting my special edition Game Boy Color with Pokemon Yellow on Christmas Day 1999 will never be duplicated. Pokemon back then was so special! :)

Last edited:

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
Of course. Though I agree that the After-game is more addictive than enjoyable, just goofing around and exploring through the main story is just as enjoyable as it's always been for me.

Noctali

Umbreon
To be honest, I don't think so. I used to play Pokemon all day, nearly every day, when I was younger. I guess it's because I'm getting older that I just don't feel like doing that anymore. Other things in life stress me out too much to want to play any games sometimes, even though it would probably help distract me from those stresses. The recent games don't pull me in as much as the older ones did. I still love Pokemon and I'll always be a fan though.

GreatGonzales

The Master
Yes. In fact, I'd say I enjoy it far more than I did years ago. When I was younger, I had no clue of the existence of any of the strategic aspects of the game. Base stats, ev's, iv's, STAB, and competitive battling were all unbeknownst to me. Now I beleive that, because I have a greater understanding of the game's mechanics, I can play the game the way it was meant to be played, and truly immerse myself in gameplay and enjoy the game for its many aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.