• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still feel upset about Pokemon as it currently is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTypeStarter

Has the DLC fixed the problems you had with the games? Are the games better than you expected? Like are Chairman Rose as well as Sordward and Shielbert good villains? Anything you wish Game Freak will improve on?

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Making their story longer and deeper
So much this. Like going back to X, Y and Black, White and Black 2 and White 2 style story telling. Closest to that imo lately is with Sun, Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, I prefer the Gen 6 story. It wasn't perfect but there were some highlights.

It also had Kiseki which was a quite cool idea they should have carried over the following regions.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I feel like story is lacking in various regards and none of the characters really impressed me outside of maybe Sonia.

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

No, I am not upset about where pokemon is right now. But I am upset with other people who call themselves fans of Pokemon who hate Sword and Shield and insult people who like the games. Especially the ones who gave gamefreak death threats because of the National Dex Situation. It also makes me upset that only a few people are defending these games. These games are great and everybody knows that. I feel like we need to start a defend Sword and Shield movement and let people know that these games are great. However, I do agree with KenzeyEevee that the story should be longer and deeper, like Final Fantasy long and deep or something like that.

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
Hrm...... it's tough to say. I'm not gonna say I'm at my gen 3 - 5 days where everything was awesome and I was legitimately having fun with the series but I do feel better than my Gen 7 - LGPE days where I just didn't care one way or the other about anything. I'm at a happy medium where I can see the flaws but I'm satisfied with what works. Also, the dlc highlighted an issue for me that I think many people are about to disagree with me here on. I don't like how "big" the stories have gotten. The last two - three games are a "save the day from a region / world destroying threat. Also, the bad guy is a horrible person but is also secretly good in their own twisted way." The DLC helped me appreciate the small story of going to a place and having these little adventures with people / pokemon without the need to save the world. I guess what I'm saying is, I'd appreciate more "side quests" in Pokemon games going forward.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Honestly, Twilight Wings & the anime are doing a better job at filling in the gaps to the main story (especially with characters like Bea, Chairman Rose, & Oleana), though I will give the Galarian Star Tournament credit for Sordward & Shielbert. Plus, it was nice to see Sonia forgave the scientist who betrayed her

Since I beat the post game back in March, I personally treated both parts of the DLC as sequel games with their respective sub regions. The features and the environments are definitely a step in the right direction when compared to the main game, and they made me hopeful that they’ll be more comfortable handling 3D graphics & deadlines by Gen 9.

While the stories aren’t as deep & thought provoking as Gen 5, they were still fun adventures with strong characters & interactions felt more developed than some of the characters from the original story. It honestly felt like Pokémon was going back to its roots (Gen 1-2) with the main focus going on various adventures to explore the world with the major plots being a side thing.

If anything, the one thing I wish the DLC had was more Galarian forms besides the Slowpoke line & the legendary birds

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m happy with how it is now and think SwSh made some of the best improvements to the series with removing the moves that either hardly anyone used or were so obscure that most players never even saw them in action outside of a possible Metronome result. A lot of the weaker damaging attacks such as Constrict were barely useful even in the beginning of a new game and Rotiller was such an awful obscure move that only worked if you had a Grass type ally and did nothing in singles.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I was never really unhappy with the state of the games aside from X and Y being unfinished and messy. I'd say the only things I dislike for these games are the story and the online functionality; the characters are engaging, the replay value is high, and the new monster designs are awesome. Plus, with all the QOL elements that they added in, I'm finding it really difficult to go back to games from the past without feeling annoyed at things like HMs or natures. I think if they just beef up the story a little more and give more exploration room, Pokemon will be heading in a fantastic direction.

Now, if we could just bring back the PSS...

catzeye

Writer's Block
Really my only issue is with Rose as a villain he doesn't really feel like one, it feels like Swordward and Shieldbert should've been the main villains.

This. I mean my issue with Rose as a villain is that he doesn't work as a "summon the legendary Pokemon" villain, which is the role he's place in games. Rose as an antagonist who (intentionally or not) made the lives of his employees (the gym leaders and champion) hard because he's thinking in business terms would've been interesting to see (and to be fair that is part of his portrayal in games), it's just adding the Eternatus plot to his character just derails it. Not to mention (as I've seen from others) that in this day and age where climate and energy issues are a thing, making the antagonist someone who supports an alternative energy source (even though granted it was dangerous and an ill-thought out plan) is not the best look.

Contrast that to the royal twins, who have in my opinion a more understandable reason to "summon the legendary Pokemon". Sonia's spending her time uncovering the truth of the Darkest Day, a truth that would put their royal claims in jeopardy. So them acting out to the point that they decide to recreate the Darkest Day to prove their claims would've made that narrative make far more sense. Plus the storytelling potential around a historical coverup and nobility would've been really interesting to see.

Hrm...... it's tough to say. I'm not gonna say I'm at my gen 3 - 5 days where everything was awesome and I was legitimately having fun with the series but I do feel better than my Gen 7 - LGPE days where I just didn't care one way or the other about anything. I'm at a happy medium where I can see the flaws but I'm satisfied with what works. Also, the dlc highlighted an issue for me that I think many people are about to disagree with me here on. I don't like how "big" the stories have gotten. The last two - three games are a "save the day from a region / world destroying threat. Also, the bad guy is a horrible person but is also secretly good in their own twisted way." The DLC helped me appreciate the small story of going to a place and having these little adventures with people / pokemon without the need to save the world. I guess what I'm saying is, I'd appreciate more "side quests" in Pokemon games going forward.

Agreed. Like honestly, SwSh could've gone without the "legendary threatens the region" plot. The whole super competitive league that gives star status to it's gym leaders and champion give enough plot as is. They could've focused on smaller stories featuring the various characters and how they navigate such a world and you would still have massive potential for a really well done story even if it didn't have the grand villain plot

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I don’t think Rose is actually a villain. He wasn’t really doing anything that evil or even for selfish reasons. He just didn’t understand what the Darkest Day really was (Which is no one’s fault as even Sonia had no idea about it being about Eternatus and she was researching the event the entire game) or that it would end up being so destructive. Rose sort of is like Lusamine. Both aren’t actually evil and did truly want to help both Pokémon and humans and their organizations weren’t evil either. The Aether employees only attacked you because you technically were trespassing and they were concerned for the safety of the Pokémon being housed in the building and they had no idea you only were there to save Lillie. Lusamine went off the deep end only because Mohn went missing and she desperately wanted to find out where he was and bring him home in SM. In USUM, Lusamine wanted to make sure that Necrozma didn’t pose a threat to Alola and she did seem to understand that if it wasn’t weakened and forced to be put under control, hundreds of Pokémon and people would be harmed from a rampaging Necrozma. I mean physically forcing Nebby to open a dimensional portal is cruel but she had to do whatever it took to get into Ultra Space.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’ve always held a moderate opinion towards Gen 8 and the DLC hasn’t changed that. The things I liked were only expanded on and the flaws only became more apparent. I’d say the DLC enhanced the game but didn’t change my opinion to a significant degree.

Ignoring the tired discussion about the fan base as it doesn’t impact how I feel about the games, I think SwSh were worth the money. Admittedly I find them underwhelming compared to the Alola games and feel like the region itself doesn’t resonate me as much. However, I’m a big fan of QoL changes and character interaction in RPGs which SwSh did exceedingly well. I just don’t care for everything surrounding the Darkest Day: Rose, his motivation, the lore, Eternatus. I thought this game was moving away from the standard Legendary/evil organization plotandit would’ve benefited if it focused more on the Gym Challenge from both a narrative and gameplay perspective. If they really wanted a plot, use the twins and have their supposed influence take advantage of Rose’s natural generosity to profit their malicious goals.

I was never upset with the games. I felt like a lot needed improvement but after playing through the entire game, I’m mostly confident for GF’s future with the mainline games. I think they’re starting to capitalize on their characters (look at Masters, how much merch the Gen 5, 7, & 8 characters get, and overall a sense of a lively world in later entries through diverse relationships) so they should continue with that. They should also keep taking advantage of world building and multiplayer content. As for improvements, I think they need better game balance for both in game and competitive. I’m not saying turn the gameplay into the next Final Fantasy but I think they need to find a better way to handle difficulty and balance. Not to be “that guy” but I’d like to see more mechanics expanded on rather than being used once and discarded.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
This. I mean my issue with Rose as a villain is that he doesn't work as a "summon the legendary Pokemon" villain, which is the role he's place in games. Rose as an antagonist who (intentionally or not) made the lives of his employees (the gym leaders and champion) hard because he's thinking in business terms would've been interesting to see (and to be fair that is part of his portrayal in games), it's just adding the Eternatus plot to his character just derails it. Not to mention (as I've seen from others) that in this day and age where climate and energy issues are a thing, making the antagonist someone who supports an alternative energy source (even though granted it was dangerous and an ill-thought out plan) is not the best look.

Contrast that to the royal twins, who have in my opinion a more understandable reason to "summon the legendary Pokemon". Sonia's spending her time uncovering the truth of the Darkest Day, a truth that would put their royal claims in jeopardy. So them acting out to the point that they decide to recreate the Darkest Day to prove their claims would've made that narrative make far more sense. Plus the storytelling potential around a historical coverup and nobility would've been really interesting to see.

Something I had some thought about shortly after going through the Sordward and Shielbert story is that they could've had a villainous team of their own too, made up of various people in Galar they've convinced are the real descendants of royalty, and it would've given them more credibility instead of being these two random strange looking people. On the other hand, perhaps it's to the best they didn't, since it could cut a little close to some political issues in various countries.

I don’t think Rose is actually a villain. He wasn’t really doing anything that evil or even for selfish reasons. He just didn’t understand what the Darkest Day really was (Which is no one’s fault as even Sonia had no idea about it being about Eternatus and she was researching the event the entire game) or that it would end up being so destructive. Rose sort of is like Lusamine. Both aren’t actually evil and did truly want to help both Pokémon and humans and their organizations weren’t evil either. The Aether employees only attacked you because you technically were trespassing and they were concerned for the safety of the Pokémon being housed in the building and they had no idea you only were there to save Lillie. Lusamine went off the deep end only because Mohn went missing and she desperately wanted to find out where he was and bring him home in SM. In USUM, Lusamine wanted to make sure that Necrozma didn’t pose a threat to Alola and she did seem to understand that if it wasn’t weakened and forced to be put under control, hundreds of Pokémon and people would be harmed from a rampaging Necrozma. I mean physically forcing Nebby to open a dimensional portal is cruel but she had to do whatever it took to get into Ultra Space.

I feel like Chairman Rose was a character Game Freak had a lot more planned for but had to scrap a lot of it. Macro Cosmos is more of a villainous team than Team Yell, since it actually has at least one admin (Oleana) and exerts a greater amount of control over Galar. In addition, Rose Tower had the feel of a stillborn dungeon, with something akin to Silph Tower or Aether Paradise planned out, but they had to repurpose it into one big elevator ride. And he would've been threatening if you opposed him due to the fact that he not only organized the Pokémon League, but Macro Cosmos runs a large amount of businesses around Galar, and thus his presence and his influence is everywhere. As a result, they could've had you go up against Macro Cosmos througout the game without having realized who you were opposing. Since the company mainly does industry, perhaps that factory on Route 3 would've been a violent introduction to their power--which, incidentally, could've been a dungeon, as a lot of dungeons in Pokémon games are industrial in nature (Power Plant, Kanto Game Corner, Goldenrod Tower, Team Rocket HQ, New Mauville, Team Galactic HQ, Fuego Ironworks, Cold Storage, Virbank Complex, Poké Ball Factory, and, again, Aether Paradise). Galar is the only main series region without at least one dungeon with an industrial setting.

The corporate villain is a character type the Pokémon games hadn't done before (even if said character turns out to be an anti-villain), which is why I feel it's such a shame that it always seemed like there was a lot more they could've done. Perhaps many years in the future, when they remake Sword and Shield and they can make Rose into the character they intended from the start.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Team Yell is kind like Team Skull in the sense they are a fake-out to who is the really villain team.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I was never upset about these games to begin with, but I do like to say that the DLC certainly patches up a few flaws within the game. I'll even say that the DLC, especially the Crown Tundra made the games even more fun to play.

Also, like other people, I enjoy the QOL changes. I wished I had these features back when I played my first Pokemon game (D/P/Pt).

The only real thing that I'm really upset about in this game is the online mode (Aka the Y-Comm. I think it's atrocious. I swear the festival plaza is better by a long shot).

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It fixed some problems but not all of them. The game still lacks content in a big way even with the DLC, it added some neat areas to explore and a surprisingly addicting extra feature in Dynamax Adventure, but the exploration needs to improve even more with more detailed map design and more/more challenging overworld obstacles and puzzles, and it needs even more extra features than Dynamax Adventures (there should be like, 3 or 4 like it). It's a step in the right direction for sure, but it's still a long ways off from where it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.