• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still feel upset about Pokemon as it currently is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I was not too impressed with SWSH at first but both Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra helped my opinion on SWSH become a lot more positive. Now I like it more than Gen 6 and the first three gens!
I don't know about gen 2 or 3 but SwSh definitely beats gen 1 and 6 for me

Ultra Beast Lover

The main game certainly doesn't have a thought provoking concept, could've been better with a longer story. Also, I would've liked if they made the legendary actually bond with the player over the course of the game like with Nebby. The DLC fixed the latter with Calyrex's arc, you actively bond with the Pokemon while helping to get its power back. So yeah I'd say SWSH is just fine. Not terrible, not fantastic, just fine.

Cool Rafe

Cold & Anti-social
Maybe this is just me but I really dislike the Wild Area. It's horrible when you go online and face such a massive dip in frame rate. It's unnecessarily big and the graphical inadequacy makes it boring to look at. They also got to fix the camera angles. But other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with the game even before the expansion.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Maybe this is just me but I really dislike the Wild Area. It's horrible when you go online and face such a massive dip in frame rate. It's unnecessarily big and the graphical inadequacy makes it boring to look at. They also got to fix the camera angles. But other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with the game even before the expansion.
I rarely connect online unless I find a Raid Den with a particularly valuable and difficult Pokémon. I don’t always get three participants but the ones I do get help me get a strong Pokémon.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I wouldn’t say that I am upset about where the franchise is but it definitely didn’t take the direction that I thought it would.

Let me preface by saying that Sword and Shield when it has the DLC added feels like a mostly complete game with a decent story that easy—sometimes too easy—to follow. The main story where you travel the region over the span of a couple days defeating gyms is the most simple of storylines that Pokémon has ever told. The revelation that Team Yell are actually just trainers of Spikemouth gym and not actually evil is sort of refreshing. The problem I have is with Chairman Rose deciding that he’s going to unleash the Darkest Day upon Galar because they are going to run out of energy in 1000 years. If that’s the case he could have done research with Sonia and Prof. Magnolia since they were doing research on it at the time. The fact the he disappears after this does let us know that he does feel horrible about what he did. But overall the story is plain simple.

The post-game features two people who say that they are Galar royalty and that all the overwhelming evidence that states that Pokémon saved Galar is wrong. It’s an interesting take—I actually am one of the few that liked the story—but it really doesn’t make a lot of sense.

The addition of the Isle of Armour and the Crown Tundra make the games feel a little more complete. The stories of these areas don’t really add anything to the mystique of the region but there’s enough there to draw us in to how the particular parts of the region are slightly different than the rest of the region. I usually hang out in these areas as opposed to mainland Galar.

Everyone is still talking about Dexit and whatnot so I will address that a little bit. I am honestly not all that upset about it, although I do wish that some of my favorites did make it into the game. With how many Pokémon there are I understand the necessity to attempt to trim it down. With form differences there’s approximately 1275 different Pokémon to render (more than if you count shiny, but those are just palette swaps). If you have to start from scratch with everything that hasn’t been rendered in the Let’s Go games. A conference or direct saying that they would be cut would have been better than a throw away comment made during a show of the beta. But, I digress. I’m honestly not all that upset about it at this point.

I’ll save my feelings for Pokémon Home and Pokémon Go for another time.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Let me preface by saying that Sword and Shield when it has the DLC added feels like a mostly complete game with a decent story that easy—sometimes too easy—to follow. The main story where you travel the region over the span of a couple days defeating gyms is the most simple of storylines that Pokémon has ever told. The revelation that Team Yell are actually just trainers of Spikemouth gym and not actually evil is sort of refreshing. The problem I have is with Chairman Rose deciding that he’s going to unleash the Darkest Day upon Galar because they are going to run out of energy in 1000 years. If that’s the case he could have done research with Sonia and Prof. Magnolia since they were doing research on it at the time. The fact the he disappears after this does let us know that he does feel horrible about what he did. But overall the story is plain simple.

Everyone is still talking about Dexit and whatnot so I will address that a little bit. I am honestly not all that upset about it, although I do wish that some of my favorites did make it into the game. With how many Pokémon there are I understand the necessity to attempt to trim it down. With form differences there’s approximately 1275 different Pokémon to render (more than if you count shiny, but those are just palette swaps). If you have to start from scratch with everything that hasn’t been rendered in the Let’s Go games. A conference or direct saying that they would be cut would have been better than a throw away comment made during a show of the beta. But, I digress. I’m honestly not all that upset about it at this point.

I’ll save my feelings for Pokémon Home and Pokémon Go for another time.

It was mentioned elsewhere, but some people are speculating that the intent with Chairman Rose is that it's a matter not so much of saving Galar as it is his pride on the line. According to this theory, Rose does not consult anybody else or take their input seriously because he won't feel like the savior if he does. Chances are you've met at least one person like this, who refuses to act on other people's suggestions out of pride.

Chatting with people outside the Pokémon fandom who know about Dexit, most are confused as to why Pokémon fans consider it a big deal. For them, so what if some Pokémon don't make it in? They still exist somewhere. And I think it's because all other video game franchises with a large cast of playable characters drop some of them for later games, only to bring them back. Street Fighter fans can expect Ryu, Ken, Guile, Bison, and possibly Cammy, Dhalsim, and Dan to come back with each game, for example, but no one's expecting Ibuki, Rufus, or Cody to have perfect attendance, and it's seen as a pleasant surprise when they DO return. Pokémon is odd in that everything was carried forward every time until now.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Since Sword and Shield are a year old I'd say my opinion on them is the same as when they first released.

Earlier this year before the DLC I played through both games. I completed the main story in both and the post-game story once. Since then I haven't had a strong desire to replay either of them. When the Isle of Armor DLC was released I played it for a few days, got Urshifu, explored the island, and haven't done anything since. I tried to get excited for the Crown Tundra DLC by restarting one of the games in October. Sadly I couldn't commit to a longterm playthrough since I wasn't invested in any aspect of the game.

I still find the story, characters, region, and mechanics to be the most boring in the series. Sure it's a simple story since you're collecting badges but that's just it, it's going from one town to the next without anything exciting in between. Chairman Rose is the worst written villian, mainly since he decides to awaken Eternatus the day of the championship match. Seriously! Couldn't have waited one more day?

I dont really care about Dynamx or Gigantimax since only specific Wild Pokemon you capture can do the latter.

I've spent the majority of 2020 replaying older games like Platinum, HGSS, BW, and B2W2. Suppose I find the older Pokemon games more entertaining than the current ones.

Last edited:

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
It was mentioned elsewhere, but some people are speculating that the intent with Chairman Rose is that it's a matter not so much of saving Galar as it is his pride on the line. According to this theory, Rose does not consult anybody else or take their input seriously because he won't feel like the savior if he does. Chances are you've met at least one person like this, who refuses to act on other people's suggestions out of pride.

And I understand the “Savior of the Masses” approach suggested by Rose’s attitude. However, it does not explain the lack of research he put into trying to save the people of his region. And maybe myself and others are missing something right in front of us.

Chatting with people outside the Pokémon fandom who know about Dexit, most are confused as to why Pokémon fans consider it a big deal. For them, so what if some Pokémon don't make it in? They still exist somewhere. And I think it's because all other video game franchises with a large cast of playable characters drop some of them for later games, only to bring them back. Street Fighter fans can expect Ryu, Ken, Guile, Bison, and possibly Cammy, Dhalsim, and Dan to come back with each game, for example, but no one's expecting Ibuki, Rufus, or Cody to have perfect attendance, and it's seen as a pleasant surprise when they DO return. Pokémon is odd in that everything was carried forward every time until now.
It shouldn’t be a big deal but it did become that. And I think what would’ve made people a lot less upset is just to do what I said in my previous post. State in its own video that the system isn’t sustainable and that not every Pokémon can be in all the games. I think the reason those that did get upset were because it was said so nonchalantly as a throw-away comment during a showing of the beta. Honestly, I don’t care all that much because I realize that ~900 Pokémon plus Alolan/Galarian forms plus Megas plus G-Max plus other miscellaneous forms would be incredibly difficult to render from scratch plus fit in a cartridge. Like I said, I’m not mad about it and I understand that after almost 25 years that some things have to change. I just think that there was a better way to let the fan base know.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I feel like Chairman Rose was a character Game Freak had a lot more planned for but had to scrap a lot of it. Macro Cosmos is more of a villainous team than Team Yell, since it actually has at least one admin (Oleana) and exerts a greater amount of control over Galar.
I feel that Marnie is a de facto admin for Team Yell, even if she doesn't necessarily see herself as one.

She essentially fills the roll of a public figure that the evil team follows.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i still like gen8 more than gen7 but gen7 despite Z nukes was before dexit so its more flexible to what im used to. i still dont play gen7 much but im trying to max out all the berries to 999 in UM. i dont really spare much time for the switch either, i do the daily challenges with Pokken but i got other things that take away the switch time.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
To be honest, I've spent more time playing Pokémon Masters than SwSh.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Initial release tainted it all for me. Yeah, there's more Mons, more moves, more areas, more plot, and more money spent. It all just left a bad taste.

I'm hoping next Gen (jeez Gen NINE!) will have a smoother transition and GF will drop the paid DLC approach. They can release big patches, but this is the biggest franchise on the planet that already has a cash cow. Be kind to your fanbase and let the patches be free. And bring back Megas. That was the dumbest removal ever in the series.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
To be honest, I've spent more time playing Pokémon Masters than SwSh.
I spent more hours on Three Houses (and perhaps FEH) than SWSH but I don't consider that to mean they are games I like more. Hell, I'm far from the former's biggest fan lol.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I get what you are saying but in this case it's not just that I spent more time on Masters but I actually like it more than SwSh

Orphalesion

"Upset" is a strong word. I do feel disappointed with the storyline, region, gameplay and generally unpolished feel of SwSh and I do not think that the Wild Area alone didn't make up for that. I also think that the Isle of Armour was a pretty big disappointment, but I do think that the Crown Tundra is much better.

I do hope that in the next game there will be a more polished, longer story again and that the region will not be short changed just for a small open world area. Hopefully the open world elements will be more integrated into the whole game next generation.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
Mega evolution is actually amazing. I thought they were going to have it. After I found out it wasn't in the game, I was so sad. I really wanted to see a Mega Charizard X following me around. It is unfair. I am Upset with Sword and Shield. It is horrible and I do not agree with G-max and Dynamax replacing mega evolution. I agree with You Poke. Gen 6 and 7 are better.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I've said it elsewhere, but no, I'm not upset about Pokemon as it currently is. Every generation has its ups and downs; even if I like something, I'm still going to call out where it went wrong, because nothing's perfect. The main thing I AM upset with though is how people just can't respect other peoples opinions, especially the "old games good, new games bad" crowd. The massive amounts of drama makes me feel ashamed sometimes.

Mega evolution is actually amazing. I thought they were going to have it. After I found out it wasn't in the game, I was so sad. I really wanted to see a Mega Charizard X following me around. It is unfair. I am Upset with Sword and Shield. It is horrible and I do not agree with G-max and Dynamax replacing mega evolution. I agree with You Poke. Gen 6 and 7 are better.

I seriously doubt they'd let Megas follow you anyway, since all of them are in battle only forms, and none of those can follow you outside of battle. Even in Gen 7, Megas weren't relevant in the main game and were just a post game thing. Dynamax is likely going to be gone in the next generation anyway, but people shouldn't get their hopes up for Mega Evolution coming back either.

Id rather they get rid of all the gimmicks that started since gen 6 and go back to the basics and also focus more on the storylines.

I'd like this too. No Megas, no Z moves, no Max, no gimmicks. But as much as I'd like them to stop relying on gimmicks, it's not happening. The gimmicks are done to bring in an audience, and I don't think they'll stop these gimmicks anytime soon.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Here's my thoughts

any situation where overworld pokemon can rush you outside of grass if you aren't paying attention. it makes me hate critters like galarian meowth, the yamper /boltund line, sharpedo in isle of armor waters and many others including sneasels route 9 is full of them. Also if it happens if something is spawning in the same moment you're on your bike. Thank goodness for the smokeball... otherwuse hunting for low % critters like Turtonator would be a real pain.

The wild area restriction, you can't capture any really strong looking pokemon until you have more badges making you run away from recruiting potential team members.

trainer martin's solrock with cosmic power and helping hand eevee's in raids is just so stupid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.