• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still feel upset about Pokemon as it currently is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariki

Upset is a strong word. Disappointed is more like it and that's because of the way GF handled the dex cut.

Franchise wise, I would be stoked if we could get re-releases of Pokemon XD, Colosseum, Stadium (+ and 2) and Battle Revolution on the Switch with Home connectivity. I for one would be happy to play the more classic 3D Pokemon outings if they were ported/remade for the Switch.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The fact remains that after I finished the dlc “plot” I havent touched the game and probably wont in a while. That says it all

TornadoAdvisory

The Imminent Storm
I can't say that I'm really 'upset' about where things are at now. I'm feel like I'm too old to be getting in a major tizzy about the flaws of the game as a whole (Not saying that the games can't be criticized for certain things, mind you). Do I think some things could be better? Absolutely. But it's not to the point that I start overdramatically mocking those who enjoy the more recent games and/or start bragging about boycotting them. If I sound like I'm on a high horse here, I sincerely apologize.

I might edit this post with more in-depth thoughts later, but that's the gist of my feelings on this matter right now.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
I've said it elsewhere, but no, I'm not upset about Pokemon as it currently is. Every generation has its ups and downs; even if I like something, I'm still going to call out where it went wrong, because nothing's perfect. The main thing I AM upset with though is how people just can't respect other peoples opinions, especially the "old games good, new games bad" crowd. The massive amounts of drama makes me feel ashamed sometimes.

I seriously doubt they'd let Megas follow you anyway, since all of them are in battle only forms, and none of those can follow you outside of battle. Even in Gen 7, Megas weren't relevant in the main game and were just a post game thing. Dynamax is likely going to be gone in the next generation anyway, but people shouldn't get their hopes up for Mega Evolution coming back either.

I'd like this too. No Megas, no Z moves, no Max, no gimmicks. But as much as I'd like them to stop relying on gimmicks, it's not happening. The gimmicks are done to bring in an audience, and I don't think they'll stop these gimmicks anytime soon.
ok, I am kinda confused why you want them gone, I know they would never let mega's follow you, but it would be good to see those blue flames in battle, plus Z-moves my be a bit too overpowered, But I like them bc of the animations. ~Yeets Pikachu~

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
ok, I am kinda confused why you want them gone, I know they would never let mega's follow you, but it would be good to see those blue flames in battle, plus Z-moves my be a bit too overpowered, But I like them bc of the animations. ~Yeets Pikachu~

Because I never cared for these gimmicks. Any of them. I don't really miss them when they're gone. All of them are overpowered in their own ways (and I'm including Megas, some Pokemon did not need them and then there's those who feel like pure fanservice more than anything, and I'm looking at you Charizard and Mewtwo!).

I also personally don't like the designs of the majority of the Megas and most of the G-Max forms are eh (Hot take, design wise, I like these a bit more than Megas). There's a few I do like, but not enough for me to care. I'm not going to stop people liking them, however.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The only gimmicks I miss are Mega Rayquaza with Primal Groupon and Kyogre, And Ultraburst to get Ultra Necrozma Which is a really cool looking Pokémon.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The only gimmicks I miss are Mega Rayquaza with Primal Groupon and Kyogre, And Ultraburst to get Ultra Necrozma Which is a really cool looking Pokémon.

If Triples existed on Gen 7, one could use the 3 of them. Now that would be a funny match.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Hey, If mega's did not exist, Omega ruby and alpha sapphire would never have existed.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
It's...okay? It's definitely fun, and I think I got my money's worth including the DLC. But it really is mediocre at best, and there really just isn't a memory sticking out to me.

Yeah, I get it, transitions are hard (as a programmer, I know this very well), and I'm not going to grill GameFreak over their first foray into uncharted territory. On the other hand, I will be putting their future efforts into greater scrutiny. If they rested their laurels in the current state of their product, then they're going to find that good will really does bleed out fast.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It's...okay? It's definitely fun, and I think I got my money's worth including the DLC. But it really is mediocre at best, and there really just isn't a memory sticking out to me.

Yeah, I get it, transitions are hard (as a programmer, I know this very well), and I'm not going to grill GameFreak over their first foray into uncharted territory. On the other hand, I will be putting their future efforts into greater scrutiny. If they rested their laurels in the current state of their product, then they're going to find that good will really does bleed out fast.
Well said. I appreciate the work they put into a more open world Pokemon game, but things need to be improved on, going from there.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If we didn't have gimmicks, we'd have people equally complaining that nothing new was added like in Gen V (which is true for the most part. It's my favorite Gen but Hidden Abilities were what it got going the most and it took until BW2 to try to implement them better)

I have never seen people complain about 5th gen doing nothing new. Most of 5th gen's complaints were that they changed things they didn't want to see changed, like forcing you to only use new Pokemon or making the games more linear/handholdy.

They don't need gimmicks to keep people from thinking nothing is new, and in fact the gimmicks are superficial at that because they don't stick around the next game. They just need to figure out what they can change to make Pokemon more ambitious, varied, and accessible. I can think of several generations' worth of changes that could accomplish that.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

to be honest, I dont really 'love' Z-moves (Because they are a bit too overpowered), But I like the animations, and I don't because Ultra Necrozma's takes 2 turns to use. First turn is Transformation, Second is Z-move.

Serzooka

Me @ the world right now....
to be honest, I dont really 'love' Z-moves (Because they are a bit too overpowered), But I like the animations, and I don't because Ultra Necrozma's takes 2 turns to use. First turn is Transformation, Second is Z-move.
I think Megas are more overpowered even if I like the concept more than Z-moves (Ahem Rayquaza and Mewtwo). Z-moves may give you a guaranteed OHKO but you can only use those once. Megas if powerful enough can OHKO everything as it lasts the entire time the Pokemon stays "alive".

Even so, I am all in favor of them dropping the gimmicks every gen if it means focus on graphics, designing, and better storytelling as the games seem to be lacking in those aspects more than they should.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Something I had some thought about shortly after going through the Sordward and Shielbert story is that they could've had a villainous team of their own too, made up of various people in Galar they've convinced are the real descendants of royalty, and it would've given them more credibility instead of being these two random strange looking people. On the other hand, perhaps it's to the best they didn't, since it could cut a little close to some political issues in various countries.

I feel like Chairman Rose was a character Game Freak had a lot more planned for but had to scrap a lot of it. Macro Cosmos is more of a villainous team than Team Yell, since it actually has at least one admin (Oleana) and exerts a greater amount of control over Galar. In addition, Rose Tower had the feel of a stillborn dungeon, with something akin to Silph Tower or Aether Paradise planned out, but they had to repurpose it into one big elevator ride. And he would've been threatening if you opposed him due to the fact that he not only organized the Pokémon League, but Macro Cosmos runs a large amount of businesses around Galar, and thus his presence and his influence is everywhere. As a result, they could've had you go up against Macro Cosmos througout the game without having realized who you were opposing. Since the company mainly does industry, perhaps that factory on Route 3 would've been a violent introduction to their power--which, incidentally, could've been a dungeon, as a lot of dungeons in Pokémon games are industrial in nature (Power Plant, Kanto Game Corner, Goldenrod Tower, Team Rocket HQ, New Mauville, Team Galactic HQ, Fuego Ironworks, Cold Storage, Virbank Complex, Poké Ball Factory, and, again, Aether Paradise). Galar is the only main series region without at least one dungeon with an industrial setting.

The corporate villain is a character type the Pokémon games hadn't done before (even if said character turns out to be an anti-villain), which is why I feel it's such a shame that it always seemed like there was a lot more they could've done. Perhaps many years in the future, when they remake Sword and Shield and they can make Rose into the character they intended from the start.
And I understand the “Savior of the Masses” approach suggested by Rose’s attitude. However, it does not explain the lack of research he put into trying to save the people of his region. And maybe myself and others are missing something right in front of us.
Even if you just stick with the Eternatus plot, you can tell that they wanted to flesh out Rose's character in the games but they couldn't most likely because of crunch time & game limitations. If you look at stuff like the info on Rose from the Crown Tundra, as well as outside sources that lined up with his character in the game like Journeys & Twilight Wings, you can see him as someone who wants to protect everyone in the Galar region but is too business centric and focused on the big picture that he can't see how his actions are causing more harm than good. He's more like a strategic thinker who puts logic, reason, & his goals over the greater good. He also feels a bit like a parallel to Leon since he's someone who thinks he needs to handle all of the problems in Galar on his own rather than allowing younger generations to help & ultimately pass the torch onto them

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Even if they did stick with the Eternatus plot, you can tell that they wanted to flesh out Rose's character in the games but they couldn't most likely because of crunch time & game limitations. If you look at stuff like the info on Rose from the Crown Tundra, as well as outside sources that lined up with his character in the game like Journeys & Twilight Wings, you can see him as someone who wants to protect everyone in the Galar region but is too business centric and focused on the big picture that he can't see how his actions are causing more harm than good. He's more like someone who's a strategic thinker who puts logic, reason, & his goals over the greater good. He also feels a bit like a parallel to Leon since he's someone who thinks feels that he needs to handle all of the problems in Galar rather than allowing younger generations to help & ultimately pass on the torch
That’s what I like about Rose. He means well but given how little everyone knows about the actual events behind the Darkest Day, he unintentionally creates a crisis which does happen in real life with large corporations transporting huge oil tankers that suddenly get a hole that causes an oil spill in the ocean or a nuclear plant that suffered a catastrophic meltdown and explosion. The legends of Galar never explicitly mention Eternatus and Rose didn’t know how destructive it really was. He was an unintentional antagonist and never meant to be a villain like some players think. Eternatus was always intended to be the villain of SwSh just like Necrozma was in USUM.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

I like mega's a ton, But It is kinda odd because Ultra necrozma feels so much like a mega, it is kinda weird.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Honestly I'd be fine if they stopped creating new gimmicks that'll be dropped by the next generation. Mega Evolution was fine for what it was in Gen 6 but honestly most of the designs are forgettable. Z-Moves were fun since it was something culturally unique to Alola. Dynamax and Gigantimax are my least favorite since it's the most generic idea they could have thought of, let's just make the Pokemon bigger!

Honestly I'd prefer they focus on creating a great story rather than a new gimmick.

BCVM22

Writers write the scenario and the dialogue, artists and programmers create the game mechanics. Creating Mega Evolutions or Z-Moves or Dynamaxing takes no resources away from the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.