• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still feel upset about Pokemon as it currently is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
And yet, those old models looked more interactive and alive than most of the ones we currently have. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they just took those wireframes for the first 4 gens and updated the graphics and then made new ones for gens 5-8. Hopefully they'll do a better job in future games and maybe save some time by using the base coding of Sw/Sh so they can invest more in other areas. While I don't think Sw/Sh are terrible games on their own, they're some of the least interesting main games in the entirety of the franchise.

And well, you're probably right about the publishers thing. But even so, as a customer, I don't like being lied to by the franchise I've bought products from for over 20 years. I would've appreciated it if they were at least honest instead of making up half baked excuses.
I agree.
Lets say it that way - the way they handled the Zarude code give away says it all. The way other people that didnt get the code (including me) sent them a mail and got responded by:"theres nothing to do" says it all.
I would expect a little more care, especially when many of their fans has been around for 20 +years.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I love BOTW but to call it ambitious is always weird since it still suffers with a ton of empty space even when you factor Hyrule being torn apart. And it isn't like it was the first open world Zelda either as even the first game did it.

Nevermind the enemy diversity which also blows lol.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Nevermind the enemy diversity which also blows lol.
Other JRPGs suffered these too. I played games like Trials Of Mana Remake and Atelier Ryza 1 and the developers recycle the same enemy models many times except with different colors to explain the stat changes.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
BotW and Mario Oddyssey look the way they do because they were developed by teams who had decades worth of experience in 3D games, while Game Freak only started developing fully 3D titles in 2013, on a handheld console, which can't keep up with home consoles.
Even SwSh were developed with the Switch's portable mode in mind.

Mario and Zelda did a much better job of transitioning to console (modern 3D consoles, when they made the jump from SNES to N64) than Pokemon did with SwSh because they actually took their time to take advantage of the hardware. Their experience has little to do with it. And if they were that inexperienced that they couldn't handle it themselves, they should've gotten help from someone that actually knows what they're doing.

And it's bold of you all to expect Game Freak's first game of that magnitudo to be a masterpiece, have you learned nothing from the previous Gens?
Gen 4 is bad compared to Gen 5
Gen 6 is bad compared to Gen 7
If you want a Pokémon game with Witcher 3-level graphics or whatever, wait until Gen 9 or 10.

This is subjective, and I happen to disagree with that. 5th gen dumbed down the gameplay in a lot of areas (the region design got more linear, the trainer rosters were nerfed so most trainers didn't have more than 3 Pokemon, the game got a lot more handholdy with NPCs interrupting you all of the time). 7th gen also made the handholding worse and made the online worse. It's not just about the graphics, it's the full package, the gameplay, the level design, the story, the extra content, etc. And while the games have gradually improved in graphics, they haven't done in the same in other areas of the game and in fact have even regressed in some areas.

I love BOTW but to call it ambitious is always weird since it still suffers with a ton of empty space even when you factor Hyrule being torn apart.

Well if they filled that entire area it'd take them like, 15 years to make it or something. I think they can be forgiven for a game that incomprehensibly huge having empty space. For them to even be capable of making the game as big as it was is quite a feat.

And it isn't like it was the first open world Zelda either as even the first game did it.

The first game was much, much smaller than BotW and didn't have nearly as much to do. BotW's design is certainly inspired by the first game, but it's infinitely larger and more complex so to write off BotW because it's a similar design is laughable. It's like saying a cruise ship isn't impressive because it's like a rowboat.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
And it's bold of you all to expect Game Freak's first game of that magnitudo to be a masterpiece, have you learned nothing from the previous Gens?
Gen 4 is bad compared to Gen 5
Gen 6 is bad compared to Gen 7
If you want a Pokémon game with Witcher 3-level graphics or whatever, wait until Gen 9 or 10.

And unless you're going to complete the Pokédex, there's no reason to play the base versions over the upper ones.
Ruby and Sapphire are bad because Emerald exists.
Diamond and Pearl are bad because Platinum exists.
Sun and Moon are bad because Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon exists.
Yeah, but the thing with Gens 4 & 6 is that they're the 1st games from their respective consoles so the developers had to work their engines from scratch. Sure, Gens 5 & 7 are improvements presentation-wise but they wouldn't exist if they didn't take the existing engines from their predecessors.

Yeah, but in Pokemon XY didn't get an extension or a sequel so we couldn't wait for a Z or X2Y2. Most of the later contents from XY were carried to ORAS and SM.

TyranatarGojira

BotW and Mario Oddyssey look the way they do because they were developed by teams who had decades worth of experience in 3D games, while Game Freak only started developing fully 3D titles in 2013, on a handheld console, which can't keep up with home consoles.
Even SwSh were developed with the Switch's portable mode in mind.
They also had to bring in Monolith Soft to help finish BotW, which did hurt the last few areas of Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

But this does put me in mind about some stuff that was going around back when SWSH was coming out, and we knew a lot was missing. Game Freak isn't exactly the biggest developer. And they had people working on Little Town Hero instead. While i don't blame them for wanting to things other than Pokemon, the highest grossing franchise in the world should be treated with a lot of priority there, it was kinda the big Switch title for that holiday season. Game Freak needs to either expand, or be more willing to bring in outside help to work on the mainline games.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
They also had to bring in Monolith Soft to help finish BotW, which did hurt the last few areas of Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

But this does put me in mind about some stuff that was going around back when SWSH was coming out, and we knew a lot was missing. Game Freak isn't exactly the biggest developer. And they had people working on Little Town Hero instead. While i don't blame them for wanting to things other than Pokemon, the highest grossing franchise in the world should be treated with a lot of priority there, it was kinda the big Switch title for that holiday season. Game Freak needs to either expand, or be more willing to bring in outside help to work on the mainline games.
SiR this is PoKeMoN

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

I was really disappointed in base SwSh, because there was nothing to do after you get your box legendary. I wanted a storyline like gen 7 had, which was incredibly gripping and had great villains. Gen 8 didn’t really have a villain, and I agree with the poster who said the “legendary threatens region” is overdone. I mean, Eternatus is awesome; the story didn’t do him justice. The DLC actually added more things to do and a storyline, so I appreciated that.
Yep. Exactly why I appreciate it when dlc is added to a pokemon game.

Xuxuba

I mean, it didn't fix, because my main gripe with the game was how every other area aside from the wild area felt narrow, empty and small. Creating a new area doesn't fix the old ones, we still have to go through those tedious routes while playing the main story.

The story was also something i had a problem with. While it had a bit of development for a few characters (like Hop, Bede and Sonia) it also had one of the most barebones plots and villains. There isn't much originality to it, they just increased the importance given to the League and copied/pasted the "villain wants legendary for their energy" while removing any peculiar elements about the villain or his organization. They could have at least given him a theme and personality to make him stand out a bit...

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

I would have liked for at least one city to look like Castelia City in that it's massive, there's a thousand places to visit, and one or two streets where you have to push past a stampede of people. I would also like for Pokemon to have one or two more villages with no gyms but still some story importance, that hasn't happened for a while which is a shame because that makes this feel like a journey and not just a bunch of check marks.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I mean, it didn't fix, because my main gripe with the game was how every other area aside from the wild area felt narrow, empty and small. Creating a new area doesn't fix the old ones, we still have to go through those tedious routes while playing the main story.

The story was also something i had a problem with. While it had a bit of development for a few characters (like Hop, Bede and Sonia) it also had one of the most barebones plots and villains. There isn't much originality to it, they just increased the importance given to the League and copied/pasted the "villain wants legendary for their energy" while removing any peculiar elements about the villain or his organization. They could have at least given him a theme and personality to make him stand out a bit...
THIS exactly. This is why the dlcs dont fix it for me. The base region is still bland and narrow.
I also atree with ub loved, why cant we have towns that dont have gyms? Like we had in Kalos

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
THIS exactly. This is why the dlcs dont fix it for me. The base region is still bland and narrow.
I also atree with ub loved, why cant we have towns that dont have gyms? Like we had in Kalos
Galar’s main entertainment is the Gym Challenge which is likely why there are so few towns without a stadium. 9 large cities with 8 gyms and one finalist stadium in Wyndon. To me it makes more sense to have all the towns have gyms because the region is very big on their gym challenge.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

That may be a good point. I am kinda angry how they dont show a cool little textbox on screen when you enter a new area in SwSh. I hate it. Plus, I think UB worlds were so good! I am happy the ultra wormholes came back in crown tundra. I even deciphered the text on clue ???. Plus, It felt oddly weird to be calm for me at the sight of seeing ultra wormholes, and I tried to find that, I love it that the UB's returned :D. Does anybody else like the ultra beasts? My favorite is Guzzlord (Ultra necrozma if it counts as a UB).

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
That may be a good point. I am kinda angry how they dont show a cool little textbox on screen when you enter a new area in SwSh. I hate it. Plus, I think UB worlds were so good! I am happy the ultra wormholes came back in crown tundra. I even deciphered the text on clue ???. Plus, It felt oddly weird to be calm for me at the sight of seeing ultra wormholes, and I tried to find that, I love it that the UB's returned :D. Does anybody else like the ultra beasts? My favorite is Guzzlord (Ultra necrozma if it counts as a UB).

I'm one of the people who adores the UBs, but I'll be honest, I don't like the way they were handled in SwSh. You'd expect to have some neat sidequest since they get their own title card and everything, but all it does is unlock them as bosses in Dynamax Adventures (as well as Necrozma) and that's it. You can even completely ignore it since it's not required for anything and even if you do complete it, you don't get much of a reward from it. It's a massive disappointment and missed opportunity in my opinion.

And if SwSh is anything to go by, Ultra Beasts are very likely going to treated like typical legendary Pokemon in the future. It's a shame really, since they were such a cool concept and there's a very good chance it will be wasted (unless they expand on it in the future, which seems unlikely since I don't think they're popular, but I'd love to be wrong...).

neophenx

Pokemon Strategist
I never was really disappointed with the games. The main campaign was what it was, but then there's the DLC postgame (instead of having to buy a 3rd version and playing the same story again) which was a welcome change, and the monthly reset on VGC/Ranking ladders and constantly changing formats every couple months is a welcome difference compared to having to wait for a new game to really change the meta in a larger, more meaningful way.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
In today's day in age of video games DLC is the new norm, so therefore you have to spend more money for extra content. That's just the way it is these days with most games. The Pokemon franchise is a money making machine, so I'm not surprised that Game Freak cut certain Pokemon from these games.

Am I mad about this? Honestly, I'm not. Do I wish things were different? Sure. With the state of video games I already expected Game Freak to take this course of action with the Pokemon games, though. It was always going to happen this way. It was inventible. I've accepted this fate a long time ago. This isn't 1998 anymore and times have changed.

It's all a business at the end of the day. With that being said I do enjoy Sword and Shield and the Crown Tundra DLC was a blast to playthrough. Sword and Shield aren't perfect games by any means, but for the most part I've enjoyed them.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
In today's day in age of video games DLC is the new norm, so therefore you have to spend more money for extra content. That's just the way it is these days with most games. The Pokemon franchise is a money making machine, so I'm not surprised that Game Freak cut certain Pokemon from these games.

Am I mad about this? Honestly, I'm not. Do I wish things were different? Sure. With the state of video games I already expected Game Freak to take this course of action with the Pokemon games, though. It was always going to happen this way. It was inventible. I've accepted this fate a long time ago. This isn't 1998 anymore and times have changed.

It's all a business at the end of the day. With that being said I do enjoy Sword and Shield and the Crown Tundra DLC was a blast to playthrough. Sword and Shield aren't perfect games by any means, but for the most part I've enjoyed them.
Yep. Only issue I have with DLC, is when there's too much of it.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

I'm one of the people who adores the UBs, but I'll be honest, I don't like the way they were handled in SwSh. You'd expect to have some neat sidequest since they get their own title card and everything, but all it does is unlock them as bosses in Dynamax Adventures (as well as Necrozma) and that's it. You can even completely ignore it since it's not required for anything and even if you do complete it, you don't get much of a reward from it. It's a massive disappointment and missed opportunity in my opinion.

And if SwSh is anything to go by, Ultra Beasts are very likely going to treated like typical legendary Pokemon in the future. It's a shame really, since they were such a cool concept and there's a very good chance it will be wasted (unless they expand on it in the future, which seems unlikely since I don't think they're popular, but I'd love to be wrong...).
that is so true. I hate how you have to finish the entire crown tundra before you get the UBs. I actually helped somebody get a Buzzwole on accident. Looks like that guy gonna rampage through the crowned tundra with a ub that he is not even supposed to have yet 0-0

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I was never that upset about it. Mildly annoyed, but it was always inevitable that this would happen. The only thing I genuinely don't like is the unusability of moves that were legitimate before, mostly for the special XD Gale of Darkness moves.

Not to mention that technically the Pokemon themselves are free and can be transferred in after the update that comes out at the same time as the DLC, it's just the areas that you have to pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.