• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still feel upset about Pokemon as it currently is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I am, actually. Pokemon has become too focused on money. Nintendo has always geared towards a younger audience, but they're leaving the adult audience out entirely. The games are becoming too simple. It's becoming less and less enjoyable.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
This is going to sound weird, but the games are a little TOO story-driven these days. If you think about Red/Blue you're objective was to collect badges and go to the Pokemon league, the game is largely about exploration more so than story. While I don't necessarily have a problem with Sw/Sh I found myself mashing B just to get through Sonia's longwinded wonderings about the heroes of Galar. I really wish the entire game had been like the Crown Tundra. Less handholding, more exploration, and less Sonia running her mouth.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
This is going to sound weird, but the games are a little TOO story-driven these days. If you think about Red/Blue you're objective was to collect badges and go to the Pokemon league, the game is largely about exploration more so than story. While I don't necessarily have a problem with Sw/Sh I found myself mashing B just to get through Sonia's longwinded wonderings about the heroes of Galar. I really wish the entire game had been like the Crown Tundra. Less handholding, more exploration, and less Sonia running her mouth.
Sir, You just explained my entire view on cutscences AND sonia

WalesNote

I don't think gen 8 has been as good as it could have been. Was happy for the Dungeon remake thingie, but was not that impressed by it upon getting it myself. Haven't tried the dlc for Sword, but it looks quite decently good.

Hoping for Explorer's of the Sky remake, that would be really really good.
Then it's gen IV remakes, which I hope will look like the new Snap game or better.

But, haven't really touched the series in some time. Been playing Digimon instead (I really do like the many evolution possibilities in the series rather than the linear 3 stages of pokémon).

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

I don't think gen 8 has been as good as it could have been. Was happy for the Dungeon remake thingie, but was not that impressed by it upon getting it myself. Haven't tried the dlc for Sword, but it looks quite decently good.

Hoping for Explorer's of the Sky remake, that would be really really good.
Then it's gen IV remakes, which I hope will look like the new Snap game or better.

But, haven't really touched the series in some time. Been playing Digimon instead (I really do like the many evolution possibilities in the series rather than the linear 3 stages of pokémon).
Yes. Yes sir I want more pmd remakes so I can fight PRIMAL dIaLgA

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Lets face it, the story in Pokemon is never that interesting..
If the story comes in the expanse of exploration, I would choose the latter.... (not that the story in Swsh was even good)
Pokemon is all about Exploration and not listening to many NPCs none-stop: Giving SM as an example...

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Lets face it, the story in Pokemon is never that interesting..
If the story comes in the expanse of exploration, I would choose the latter.... (not that the story in Swsh was even good)
Pokemon is all about Exploration and not listening to many NPCs none-stop: Giving SM as an example...
Honestly... I have to ask. What point are ya trying to make... I like the games. I dont really mind if it has not that much stuff. I only hate it when a cutscene distracts me when I see a rare pokemon pop up but I went into a area and it annoys me. (NPC S QUIT GETTING ME OFF GUARD EEEE)

WalesNote

Would like another spinoff series with real time battles. Or maybe implement such gameplay into Mystery Dungeon.

Goten21

Yea.

Linear maps should only be present in games that have a good story to tell, and Pokémon is in its current state not one of them. The only game that was allowed to do this was BW/BW2 and they largely didn't have that same issue because of good route design. I cannot stress enough how badly I think of Pokémon's current map design philosophy. Not only map design, even the way that they copy-pasted some houses in the game makes the games lack character and breaks immersion. Also, the current philosophy doesn't award exploration. There's houses and big hotels in the game that offer nothing of value.

Removing Pokémon for no good reason will never be okay to me. This, together with removing certain moves, has only made the incredibly lazy animations more obvious. Pokémon X & Y were the only ones where I thought that it was okay because they 3D animated for the first time and did so for the entire roster, but ever since then I've side-eyed Pokémon games for the way they've started lacking in-battle, the most important aspect of the game.

Online play shouldn't be this lacking in 2020.

The handholding is something that brings it down another notch for me.

I don't view fondly of the current rivals either. I thought it was interesting how your main rival Hop has to find his own mantra back, but the game lacked a real rival because of it. Bebe ends up getting influenced by literally everyone and loses this energy that made him interesting in the first place, and the girl-rival is... Just there imo. It was a step up from SM though, at least. The worst part about the quite uninteresting and convoluted story is that you don't even get to solve most of the things yourself; Sonia and Leon get to. It's like telling a child that there's cookies at home but when they finally get home you don't even allow them to grab them.

And all of these issues exist within a 60 bucks triple A title. If we're gonna look at the DLC, then I'd have to view it as a 90 bucks game, and, well... I really don't want to do that.

GameFreak continues to get away with putting in way less quality than other AAA titles do and for way less slack. It's tiring. Pokémon hasn't impressed me since X & Y, and I'm even gonna go as far as saying that I don't appreciate the titles that have come after those even for what they are.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Yea.

Linear maps should only be present in games that have a good story to tell, and Pokémon is in its current state not one of them. The only game that was allowed to do this was BW/BW2 and they largely didn't have that same issue because of good route design. I cannot stress enough how badly I think of Pokémon's current map design philosophy. Not only map design, even the way that they copy-pasted some houses in the game makes the games lack character and breaks immersion. Also, the current philosophy doesn't award exploration. There's houses and big hotels in the game that offer nothing of value.

Removing Pokémon for no good reason will never be okay to me. This, together with removing certain moves, has only made the incredibly lazy animations more obvious. Pokémon X & Y were the only ones where I thought that it was okay because they 3D animated for the first time and did so for the entire roster, but ever since then I've side-eyed Pokémon games for the way they've started lacking in-battle, the most important aspect of the game.

The handholding is something that brings it down another notch for me.

I don't view fondly of the current rivals either. I thought it was interesting how your main rival Hop has to find his own mantra back, but the game lacked a real rival because of it. Bebe ends up getting influenced by literally everyone and loses this energy that made him interesting in the first place, and the girl-rival is... Just there imo. It was a step up from SM though, at least. The worst part about the quite uninteresting and convoluted story is that you don't even get to solve most of the things yourself; Sonia and Leon get to. It's like telling a child that there's cookies at home but when they finally get home you don't even allow them to grab them.

And all of these issues exist within a 60 bucks triple A title. If we're gonna look at the DLC, then I'd have to view it as a 90 bucks game, and, well... I really don't want to do that.

GameFreak continues to get away with putting in way less quality than other AAA titles do and for way less slack. It's tiring. Pokémon hasn't impressed me since X & Y, and I'm even gonna go as far as saying that I don't appreciate the titles that have come after those even for what they are.
Kinda true I guess

Orphalesion

I might be in a minority here, but I don't want online elements to be too focused on. And I defenitely don't want them to become mandatory. I never wanted a Pokemon MMO.
But what I will say is that online trading is ridiculous this generation. They had a good system in Gen 6, why is it so crappy in Gen 8?

The worst part about the quite uninteresting and convoluted story is that you don't even get to solve most of the things yourself; Sonia and Leon get to. It's like telling a child that there's cookies at home but when they finally get home you don't even allow them to grab them.

This however I wholly agree on. We were constantly told to run along and play while the plot happened off-screen (and died at Ballonlea).
And I know some people try their hardest to defend the ridiculous plot and the pathetic excuse of an antagonist Rose was but all arguments they bring up don't change that the story still happened off-screen (and what happened on-screen was ridiculous) and those elements were handled better by other games.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I might be in a minority here, but I don't want online elements to be too focused on. And I defenitely don't want them to become mandatory. I never wanted a Pokemon MMO.
But what I will say is that online trading is ridiculous this generation. They had a good system in Gen 6, why is it so crappy in Gen 8?

This however I wholly agree on. We were constantly told to run along and play while the plot happened off-screen (and died at Ballonlea).
And I know some people try their hardest to defend the ridiculous plot and the pathetic excuse of an antagonist Rose was but all arguments they bring up don't change that the story still happened off-screen (and what happened on-screen was ridiculous) and those elements were handled better by other games.
Exactly.
I really hope the next games are more immersive and better (DP remakes hopefullyyyyyy)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Only thing I'm hoping for is that people's hopes aren't too high for DP remakes. It would be nice if it did happen, but I'd hate to see the fallout if it didn't. It's one of the worst bits of Twitter, etc., people spreading rumors and getting people's hopes up about something that might never come to pass.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I like SwSh and play it a lot, just wish it was more polished, so I'm not necessarily upset.

But I'm really starting to miss using Pokemon like Venomoth, Minior etc competitively. And what I'm scared of most is that they won't even be in DP so I might literally go another 2-3 years without getting to use them..

WalesNote

Wonder what gen 9 will be like.
Speaking of which, you think Game Freak will get new staff to work on games in the future? Maybe the creators are getting tired of it all.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I like SwSh and play it a lot, just wish it was more polished, so I'm not necessarily upset.

But I'm really starting to miss using Pokemon like Venomoth, Minior etc competitively. And what I'm scared of most is that they won't even be in DP so I might literally go another 2-3 years without getting to use them..
That's pretty much where I'm at too. There are some obvious corners cut. Just hoping that they take more time with future entries in the series, given the size and the scope of Sword and Shield.

Wonder what gen 9 will be like.
Speaking of which, you think Game Freak will get new staff to work on games in the future? Maybe the creators are getting tired of it all.
I'm wondering as well. There was a new team working on Sword and Shield, but maybe after that experience, they'll add in more people to help with the workload.

BCVM22

The "creators" can't really get tired of it - no one responsible for creating the franchise has worked on a game in years. Of people who have played significant roles since, Masuda has reduced his role recently, and new people are promoted to higher positions every generation. James Turner, for example, went from a Pokémon design artist beginning with Black/White to the full title of art director for Sword and Shield. New staff rotate into new development positions all the time.

Goten21

While I personally do want that, it wasn't what I was referring to. And in the regard that it shouldn't be mandatory, I agree with you. Going back and playing Diamond and Pearl, even just walking by the GTS is kind of weird.

It's exactly the trading and the online battling options that are lacking, however. Core elements of the game. To me, Pokémon always seemed like THE game that was gonna transition into online play perfectly; the entire selling point is based around playing it with your friends. Sw/Sh and had no reason to drop the ball so hard with it, especially when X&Y did it so much better way back then.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Only thing I'm hoping for is that people's hopes aren't too high for DP remakes. It would be nice if it did happen, but I'd hate to see the fallout if it didn't. It's one of the worst bits of Twitter, etc., people spreading rumors and getting people's hopes up about something that might never come to pass.

IDK about Sinnoh remakes in particular, but high hopes are inevitable as long as Pokemon remains on console. The console market is the gaming equivalent of Hollywood, fans are always going to expect a high end, big budget game in that environment. That's the main reason complaints have gotten louder, it's because everyone was expecting the series to grow into the console environment and it's resisting.

Status
Not open for further replies.