• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you still feel upset about Pokemon as it currently is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
IDK about Sinnoh remakes in particular, but high hopes are inevitable as long as Pokemon remains on console. The console market is the gaming equivalent of Hollywood, fans are always going to expect a high end, big budget game in that environment. That's the main reason complaints have gotten louder, it's because everyone was expecting the series to grow into the console environment and it's resisting.
And that's fine when it doesn't devolve into harassment and threats towards the devs and stuff. That kind of thing makes everyone look bad and isn't good for the series as a whole.

I think it was partially due to time that the game had more rough edges, add in the size of the game, etc., and it was bound to not turn out as well. Maybe it can be something that they can use in future games.

How did you view it as resisting? I didn't really see it that way.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think it was partially due to time that the game had more rough edges, add in the size of the game, etc., and it was bound to not turn out as well. Maybe it can be something that they can use in future games.

How did you view it as resisting? I didn't really see it that way.

The thing is that they're spending the same amount of time now as they always had, it's just that improvements on the 3DS and Switch such as 3D and HD graphics and larger, more open environments take more time to develop, so the same amount of development time they took on the older handhelds doesn't get you as far on the Switch. That's why the game is rough around the edges and feels like it's cutting corners and that's what they're resisting, a high quality console game that's as polished as some of the older games is going to take more time. Instead of extending the development time to 4-5 years to make sure they can include all of the content and features, they'd rather just rush it out in 3 years with less and less content, and it's unlikely that they'll turn things around until this changes.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
The thing is that they're spending the same amount of time now as they always had, it's just that improvements on the 3DS and Switch such as 3D and HD graphics and larger, more open environments take more time to develop, so the same amount of development time they took on the older handhelds doesn't get you as far on the Switch. That's why the game is rough around the edges and feels like it's cutting corners and that's what they're resisting, a high quality console game that's as polished as some of the older games is going to take more time. Instead of extending the development time to 4-5 years to make sure they can include all of the content and features, they'd rather just rush it out in 3 years with the bare minimum, and it's unlikely that they'll turn things around until this changes.
Well said. Now I get where you're coming from.

It would be great if they did things like you mentioned instead of having it set on a (for lack of a better way of putting it) merchandising time line.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
ok, for real. How long have we gone without sinnoh remakes?

Given that there's never been sinnoh remakes... An infinite amount of time. Otherwise, its been just over 10 years or so since the release of the fourth generation. But that is in itself an irrelevant point.. It doesn't matter whether the games are remade a year after initial release or fifty years. There's no automatic reason to think we have the right to expect them to be remade. It'd be nice sure, but not having them would change nothing of value in the pokemon universe. Perhaps as a community, pokemon fans in general feel they're owed such things... But developers will only make the games they want. Like pokemon snap. Only just getting a sequel that's been wanted for way longer than ten years. Everything has its time.

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
Given that there's never been sinnoh remakes... An infinite amount of time. Otherwise, its been just over 10 years or so since the release of the fourth generation. But that is in itself an irrelevant point.. It doesn't matter whether the games are remade a year after initial release or fifty years. There's no automatic reason to think we have the right to expect them to be remade. It'd be nice sure, but not having them would change nothing of value in the pokemon universe. Perhaps as a community, pokemon fans in general feel they're owed such things... But developers will only make the games they want. Like pokemon snap. Only just getting a sequel that's been wanted for way longer than ten years. Everything has its time.
Hey, if there WERE sinnoh remakes, what pokemon do you think would get mega evolutions?

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Hey, if there WERE sinnoh remakes, what pokemon do you think would get mega evolutions?

If there would even be any mega evolutions.

I can tell you are already setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hoenn got a remake in gen 6 and had a gen 6 mechanic, if Sinnoh gets a remake, its a much higher chance that dynamax forms will be in it than mega evolutions.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
If there would even be any mega evolutions.

I can tell you are already setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hoenn got a remake in gen 6 and had a gen 6 mechanic, if Sinnoh gets a remake, its a much higher chance that dynamax forms will be in it than mega evolutions.
I doubt it would be dynamax for Sinnoh Pokémon if that’s what the next release is. It has already been established that dynamax only exists in Galar and that it takes Galar particles to make it happen.

Det. Viper

Mega Stones were "the result of evolution stones being irradiated by the power of Xerneas or Yveltal" and they still managed to show up in Hoenn and in Alola.

It's fiction, they can wizard up whatever throwaway explanation they need to if they want Power Spots in a remade Sinnoh.
I forgot that that was how mega stones came to be. Mega stones for the first 151 also appeared in Kanto as well. But I sincerely hope that dynamax stays Galar exclusive.

Maetch

Having finally returned to Pokemon after, I think, eight years... I don't really feel too strongly either way about how the franchise has gone while I was away. At the very least, I blew through Shield quick enough to get to the post-game with minimal fuss, because I've come to accept that everything before becoming Champion is just an extended tutorial to prep you for online battling or catching or however you want to play it.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
What I hope for is Sinnohan forms. Not many just maybe 5 forms or so?
I know it's very unlikely, but it would be cool.

On the back of this idea about new regional forms, I would like to see the introduction of regional trade centers where forms could be traded for in game, similar to the isle of armor trades but covering anything with a non native regional variant.

Orphalesion

On the back of this idea about new regional forms, I would like to see the introduction of regional trade centers where forms could be traded for in game, similar to the isle of armor trades but covering anything with a non native regional variant.

That would be a possibility, definitely. Though I'd rather see Safari Zones where we can catch the regional variants.

Det. Viper

That would be a possibility, definitely. Though I'd rather see Safari Zones where we can catch the regional variants.
I’d like to see it handled that way as well. And some way to evolve Pikachu, Cubone and Koffing outside of their variant regions as well too.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
What I hope for is Sinnohan forms. Not many just maybe 5 forms or so?
I know it's very unlikely, but it would be cool.
I’m with you on Sinnohan forms, and I’d venture to say if we get remakes they’re pretty likely. There are 4 whole generations of mons to retroactively reinvent, not to mention any older ones not in the Sinnoh Dex.

As for the original question, in some ways the DLC has actually gotten me salty about Dexit for the first time. It wasn’t as big a deal for me in the beginning because I looked forward to seeing the meta shaken up without the same dominant mons all the time. Now after the crown tundra (which I otherwise loved by the way):

1) Not only are most of the mons back anyway, making the few that haven’t returned feel even more like arbitrary outliers, but...

2) They went out of their way to bring back all the legendaries, which will serve the same purpose they always have and choke out the meta.

On the other hand, I do really enjoy what the DLC has given us in terms of game design. Each new zone is its own free-roaming Wild Area, and we have seen a town kind of work in this setting now (Freezington), potentially paving the way for the next generation being like this in its entirety. I would probably be fine with that, but I actually like the mix of classic Pokémon towns and new innovative areas that Sword and Shield has now. I wouldn’t want to see the former dropped entirely.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Well said. Now I get where you're coming from.

It would be great if they did things like you mentioned instead of having it set on a (for lack of a better way of putting it) merchandising time line.

Unfortunately, unless there's a major management shakeup, that's not going to happen for as long as the merchandise makes up more revenue for the franchise than everything else combined.

I’d like to see it handled that way as well. And some way to evolve Pikachu, Cubone and Koffing outside of their variant regions as well too.

And Exeggcute. I have an Alolan Exeggutor on one of my teams, and I was wondering for quite a while on how to get one without getting it from an NPC.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And Exeggcute. I have an Alolan Exeggutor on one of my teams, and I was wondering for quite a while on how to get one without getting it from an NPC.

Yeah, the NPC trade system doesn't entirely work, because I want to evolve MY Pokemon and not just get someone else's, and there are certain circumstances that a trade couldn't satisfy. For example, I have a shiny Pikachu from one of the Max Raids, but I want to evolve it into Alolan Raichu, not Kantonian Raichu. So how can I get my shiny Alolan Raichu outside of Alola? The NPC isn't going to trade a shiny for a shiny, is it? I don't think it'd work that way, so unless the variant keeps every single attribute the same (including IVs, natures, characteristics, moves, abilities when applicable, and whether or not it's shiny), they need a system for evolving your own Pokemon instead of just swapping for someone else's.

I had an idea for that where they introduce held items for each region, a Kanto Stone, an Alola Stone, a Galar Stone, etc. If the Pokemon holds the stone when it evolves, it evolves into the variant of that respective region. And if the Pokemon has a variant base form (such as Meowth, Farfetch'd, or Ponyta), if the mother holds the stone while breeding it hatches into that variant. Otherwise if they don't hold one of the stones you would just get whatever evolution or child is the default for that region.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Unfortunately, unless there's a major management shakeup, that's not going to happen for as long as the merchandise makes up more revenue for the franchise than everything else combined.

Yep. And I'm wondering how it'll affect things, the release window as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.