1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you teach the ultimate move for your starter in D/P/Pt?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by Ditto B1tch, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant and Hydro Cannon, these are the ultimate move if you don't know. A man that lives at a house in Route 228 will teach it for your Pokemon, but only the starters are able to learn. Each move is exclusive for one starter, which is STAB with its elemental type. The ultimate moves are variations of Hyper Beam, they will use the next turn to restore power if the move hits opponent.

I personally taught only Blast Burn, because Infernape got a nice Special Attack. With Torterra I prefer teaching physical moves. For Empoleon, mabye.

2. DiaRubyTandem

DiaRubyTandem The Fastest Comeback

of course! do u think trainers wont let their starter learn an ultimate move?

3. SoulMuse

SoulMuse Shadow of nothing

I didn't. The only one I taught those moves it my god awful Empoleon, which now serves as an HM slave on my Platinum. Otherwise there are far more effective mores that don't have nasty side Effects. Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Leaf Storm, just to name ones that can overlap the Elemental Hyper Beams. The only thing the ultimate moves have over these is someting like 10 Base Power, which isn't going to make much difference.

4. Aura Of Twilight

Aura Of Twilight Forever Clueless

I generally don't. They're powerful and all, but hard to use in a full out fight half of the time strategicly. If it wasn't for the fact that the moves take a turn away, I might use them.

5. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

If my starter were taught the ultimate move, it was going to use it in its last alive turn (red or yellow HP).

6. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

I didnt. I dont really like moves that need to recharge especially for in-game play unless I face the battle frontier.

7. insanejames

insanejames Unorthodox Trainer

for a real battle no never but i do in the game agaist npc you know just for fun

8. Trace★

Trace★ Banned

I always teach them the ultimate moves, even if other STAB like Wood Hammer or Fire Blast are more practical, I like that my most powerful team member has the most powerful move of its type

9. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

I never teach those moves to my starters. The reason for this is that I'm not a huge fan of moves that require recharging after being used.

10. *~Silver*~

*~Silver*~ Well-Known Member

I don't usually teach them because they have to recharge after a single use... They're really powerful, but it's easier to use the moves that have 5 PP each than the ones that have to recharge.

11. Shayminslicker

Shayminslicker Comes out of Nowhere

Yes.They might take up a turn of recharging but they are good if you use them right.

12. Furret-Luver

Furret-Luver yummy berries

im iffy with using them. recharging takes away precious time that might determine the fate of the battle.

13. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lucario Lover

I have never taught them those moves. They seem to be doing fine without them

14. Quilava42

Quilava42 Blazing Flowers

Hey, it's my 100th official post!

And no, I don't. Even though they are strong, I don't teach them this because that it's like Truant and that there's other strong moves.

15. Lion Demon

Lion Demon Fairy Type Champion

I used to but after learning about how to competitive battle & natures, I no longer do such a thing anymore.

16. xerxes

xerxes ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

no, it's a horribly move competitively and in-game since by the time you get to the tutor, chances are your starter can KO just about everything with the moves already at its disposal.

17. Bananarama

Bananarama The light is coming

Yes, but only in HGSS. I can't find one more move for my Feraligatr.

18. Jabu

Jabu Member

I did on my Infernape, but that's it.

19. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

I haven't, and chances are I won't. Not that I don't like the move Frenzy Plant (had my Venasaur learn it), I'm just rather picky about my Pokémon movesets.

20. Dew Watatsumi

Dew Watatsumi Water Type E-3

I haven't taught my blast burn and hydro cannon infernape and empoleon since diamond and platinum