• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you thing GF screwed up with lavender

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I was just seeing a youtube video and this question came up. It says that most stuff in all regions are usually similar to other regions erg, every region has a big city, a port, a pokemon tower thing, etc. BUT, there has never been a city since gen 1 that was like Lavender town. No other town which was creepy and solely based on death.
There have been pokemon tower things but most of them are close to the city and those cities have no connection with death. Look at mistralton city. It has celestial tower close to it, but, it is a big, happy city and is a major airport in unova. Far from the insignificant, sad city of Lavender.
Even the lavender town of later games is nothing compared to the red and blue ones. Those games portray Lavender as a 'reformed' city.

SO, now comes my question, do you think GF thought that they went too far by putting a city solely based on death in a child's game and kinda screwed up ?

Ditto B1tch

No, it didn't screw nor ruin the city. Also, Lavender Town didn't scare that much, in my opinion, even if a child is playing.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
They didn't screw it up. And Lavender town isn't based on death.
Lavender Town is known as the largest grave site of Pokémon in Gen 1.

The vibe, the setting, the landmarks, the music. It was done on purpose to give the city its own identity.

Unredemption

It was (and still is) one of the few locations that actually have a unique feel to them. The controversies surrounding the background music (the original one) only add to its character.

As to whether the town actually scared the living daylights out of children, I daresay with the final music (in the international version) you probably wouldn't get nightmares simply by playing the game.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I never really thought it was scary. As for why there weren't any more towns like it, well, that's probably because it was essentially a pointless town, the purpose of which could be shunted off into a minor landmark (as evidenced by the existence of Mt. Pyre, the Lost Tower, and the Celestial Tower).

Thomas Elliot

I AM HUSH
I don't think they screwed up, I mean a game is planned out so it was intentional.
I thought it was interesting they actually spoke about Pokemon dying. Before that town the thought of pokemon dying never really had occurred to me.

(·-·)(o_O)

oh hai there
They didn't screw that up and.... I actually liked that town... It was interesting and unexpected.

I, for one, LOVE Lavander Town. I do my fare share of research, and I'm sure all of you have heard of the Buried Alive and his White Hands, and Lavander Town Syndrome. I am one of the few people who really research these things, and even though I've never played Gen 1 games (Which I plan to get someday), I can assure you that they're 90% fake. Yes, while Lavander Town was based on death, you can't expect kids to really know that. If we EVER get remakes, I'm sure it'd still be the same. In HG/SS, I believe it was slightly changed. The music was lower, and the town wasn't as dreadful. Nor was there a tower, instead, there was a regular building. Nor was there that girl who asks you about ghosts.

"Then I guess that white hand in your shoulder isn't real too..."
^This is where Buried Alive and his White Hands was most likely made off of.

And in BW2, you have that Ghost Girl and that Haunted House o Reversal Mountain, which is pretty sad and can be frightening for most kids. I found it quite amusing, but what can you expect from a girl who has cold blood rushing through her veins?

GF has screwed up some things in the Pokemon World, but not Lavander town. I mean, you HAVE to have some higher content once in a while...

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Woah ! I got totally different views from outside serebii about this !
It's nice to know that real pokefans share my view, I never saw Lavender as anything creepy when I played pokemon red.

Last edited:

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
No I loved Lavender Town, the fact that the RBY Lavender Town was like that gave it the unique identity people talk about today. GSC/HGSS ruined it with the radio tower if anything.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
SO, now comes my question, do you think GF thought that they went too far by putting a city solely based on death in a child's game and kinda screwed up ?

Children aren't stupid they know that living thing eventually die, Game Freak did nothing wrong.

The controversies surrounding the background music (the original one) only add to its character.

There is no such controversies regarding with Lavender Town music, that was a stupid made up story set up to trick people like you.

I daresay with the final music (in the international version).

It was the same music worldwide, you really shouldn't believe everything on the internet.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Children aren't stupid they know that living thing eventually die, Game Freak did nothing wrong.

There is no such controversies regarding with Lavender Town music, that was a stupid made up story set up to trick people like you.

It was the same music worldwide, you really shouldn't believe everything on the internet.

GF did change the music from the original r/g, it had some 3 extra tones. But, it didn't lead to suicides, that's for sure.

iGotNoiPad

Lavender Town is designed to be like that and have you seen Japanese anime?A lot more deep and creepy stuff are in there.

Ver-mont

Lavender Town is one of the most (if not the most) iconic towns in Pokémon.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I always liked its eerie and mysterious atmosphere, even as a child.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I remember being little and the music would make me feel wierd, or hurt my ears. I would turn down the volume in that town, but at later times I would come and turn it to a low volume so I could hear the whole song without hurting my ears.

Yeah it was different and a little creepy, but I don't remember being scared by it. I actually like the music now; moreover from GSC and FR/LG but its kind of grown on me.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
No, I think the towns in Gen 1 were the smallest towns of all, so only one or two things defined most of them; safari zone, manison & lab, museum... Moving the tower out of town does make the town seem less morbid, but it also makes the tower more like a shrine, and less western.

Arceusgamer14

They didn't screw up Lavender town. It was famous for it's creepy atmosphere of the haunting in that Tower. In Gen II & IV since you already liberated the town & Tower, it had a sad atmosphere since this town is now in peace.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
When I played Red version as a child, I don't remember finding it creepy at all. I remember finding the music in the town to be dreadfully annoying, but not creepy. Also, because I have clearly been living under a rock, what's this controversy with the music that people are referring to?

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I don't think they screwed up with Lavender. I really like the place, it appeals to me.
It could have a few more interesting visitationspots though