• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you thing GF screwed up with lavender

When I played Red version as a child, I don't remember finding it creepy at all. I remember finding the music in the town to be dreadfully annoying, but not creepy. Also, because I have clearly been living under a rock, what's this controversy with the music that people are referring to?

They say the music made kids want to go kill themselves and that only the kids could hear the overly high piteched annoyance because the adult ear can't because of it being fully developed. I've also heard of another thing, words or hodden messages in the music or disorted scenery. Long story.

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
When I played Red version as a child, I don't remember finding it creepy at all. I remember finding the music in the town to be dreadfully annoying, but not creepy. Also, because I have clearly been living under a rock, what's this controversy with the music that people are referring to?

The controversy is the fact that allegedly, there were frequencies in the original RB Japanese Lavender Town music that caused young children listening to the song through headphones to commit suicide. Personally I find this stupid, and the BURIED ALIVE original Pokémon Tower boss to be a better creepypasta.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
So it's a creepypasta...yeah, not really what I'd call a controversy, just a conspiracy. So yeah, no, they did not screw up with Lavender Town. Besides, there are cemetaries in towns in the real world yes? What's so bad about there being one in a game?

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
They did good with Lavender. One of my favorite cities actually. I'm honestly glad they haven't tried to clone it

Inferno Vulpix

Despicably Average
They didn't make a mistake with Lavender Town. The Tower being removed for a Radio Station in the Johto games shows 'evidence' that Game Freak thinks otherwise, but I personally think that, without the Team Rocket invasion and the Rival Battle, there was no reason for the town at all, so they put the plot-relevant Radio Station there for the people going through Kanto to need to visit there.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't believe Game Freak screwed up with Lavender Town. I think it's a good idea to have at least one town based solely around legends and beliefs of ghosts (honestly, Ecruteak City creeped me out a little bit more than Lavender Town did). It helped add to the surprise creepy in that part of the game, which I believe all children's games/shows/movies should have at least a little bit of. There's still really creepy things in the Pokémon games like the Distortion World, the PokéDex entries, the Old Chateau, and a few other places/events that happen dealing with ghosts/death. I really don't like it when things for kids skirt around the concept of death, so for Pokémon to have a whole town around it (or heck, Ghost-types) makes it one of the reasons why I love the games so much.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
They say the music made kids want to go kill themselves and that only the kids could hear the overly high piteched annoyance because the adult ear can't because of it being fully developed. I've also heard of another thing, words or hodden messages in the music or disorted scenery. Long story.

Actually, it has to do with hearing loss... people over 25 generally lose their ability to hear a certain tone (which is now used to drive teens away from stores), but as I can still hear it (lucky me -.-) and haven't heard it in Lavender, and I’ve seen the unconvincing creepy pasta about this… so, well, it’s BS.

There is a song that 16 or so people's suicides really were attributed to, and some really did mention in their suicide notes, it's called 'Gloomy Sunday'.

Cutty

Forever now
Death is part of life just like mating. So I dont think GF was screwed up. Besides there's always a memorial site for death in every gen. And the 'newest trend', disappearing ghosts and ghost houses.

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
Honestly, as I mentioned, I find White Hand and BURIED ALIVE to be freakier than the faked suicides. I remember getting scared over the alleged original boss of Lavender Town's quotes, before and after the battle: "I'm lonely. So very lonely... Won't you please join me?" And if you lose, "Finally... Fresh meat." And then you see BURIED ALIVE holding your character, dead and dripping with blood on a Game Over screen. *shudders* What's odd is that in prototypes of RB this was the genuine boss of Lavender Town. Weird.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
In an old interview with Satoshi, Satoshi stated that Pokemon faint because he wanted people to respect death. "Respecting death" is no exception for Lavender Town, where trainers pay their respects to departed Pokemon.

SO, now comes my question, do you think GF thought that they went too far by putting a city solely based on death in a child's game and kinda screwed up ?

A lot of the 'creepiness' comes from us, older, looking back and over analyzing the situation.

And the replacement of Pokemon Tower with the Radio Tower probably comes from the Rocket controversy.

AnakBaé

Nah they actually did a great job on making simple minded kids thinks that its really "Scary, and Disturbing" Like some peopl who made their own stories and "controversy" about suicidal attempts after listening to the music and spread it based on their fear over a Pokemon game lol, seriously

personally i think its ok.

*~Silver*~

Just saying, I don't see how music without lyrics could do that to kids. I'm sorry, but just no. There are other reasons why kids could choose to do that. [What do I know? I never played Red or Blue... My first game was Emerald.. By the sound of this that might be a good thing...]
I'm saying this from the show, and from what others have said. It sounds to me like yes, they screwed up a little. I just hope that game was rated E10+ rather than the usual rating E. The one thing that sounds scary about it to me is the boss battle Neon Squirtle was talking about. Seriously, that just sounds bad...

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Just saying, I don't see how music without lyrics could do that to kids.

Some pseudo-science poppycock about hidden frequencies messing with the children's undeveloped brains.

I think the whole suicide myth is ridiculous.

Yeah, it'd been better if they threw in some Fighting types.
o___0 That was meant to be sarcastic, but can you imagine if the Channelers had Ghost/Fighting teams, just for no reason?

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Lavender Town never really scared me much as a kid, it was just the music that I always muted. Now that we are older, we just over-anylize this and make it a much bigger deal than it really is. Especially with that suicide story and "Lavender Town Syndrome," it is simply ridiculous.

Covert Cactus

<--- Halloween shiny
I'm going to end this debate now. There never was any Lavender Town Syndrome/suicides/diabeetus/acne. It all started from a creepy pasta that used the high pitch frequency thing as basis for their stories. They were written in a manner that suggested that it was real. Obviously if it's on creepy pasta it's not real, however many authors write like that for a better scare effect in their stories. I think it is true that the music has frequencies that younger people find to be irritating if listened to at a high enough volume. However it does not cause suicides, cancer, aids, or anything else. It is no more real than the creepy boot leg copies like strangled red and lost silver. Actually I think someone has made or is making a Cursed Black version.

As far as "screwing up" Lavender Town. Far from it, there is a reason why Lavender town is still talked about and remembered instead of Pewter City. It had a creepy vibe and introduced death to the series. I thought the chandlers in the tower were creepy too.