• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Alain defeating ash at the kalos league is rigged?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
XY&Z is ASH GRENINJA's theme, clear as day. Ash's theme is Mezase Pokémon Master. Infernape had a way more complex and heart wrenching story, possibly one of the best storylines the anime ever created. Quit confusing ridiculous amounts of focus with overhyped. Dawn and Piplup must be overhyped too because it was like the Dawn show during that saga too. At least everyone wasn't rooting on merely Infernape to win the Sinnoh League for Ash. No, he used reserves and Pikachu was the main star of that battle. I find it funny how we can all agree that Alan was overhyped but not Ash Greninja.

Genaller

Silver Soul
XY&Z is ASH GRENINJA's theme, clear as day. Ash's theme is Mezase Pokémon Master. Infernape had a way more complex and heart wrenching story, possibly one of the best storylines the anime ever created. Quit confusing ridiculous amounts of focus with overhyped. Dawn and Piplup must be overhyped too because it was like the Dawn show during that saga too. At least everyone wasn't rooting on merely Infernape to win the Sinnoh League for Ash. No, he used reserves and Pikachu was the main star of that battle. I find it funny how we can all agree that Alan was overhyped but not Ash Greninja.
I’ve never thought Alain was overhyped but rather a worthy rival for Ash being the only non-champion trainer to beat an E4 in combat. Yeah don’t get me started on the Chimchar/Infernape glory hogging not to mention how it randomly mastered special Blaze out of the blue with literally zero training (unless those hugging scenes count as training apparently). If they really wanted to show how wrong Paul was, they should have had Infernape beat him without using special Blaze instead of having Ash actively exploit special Blaze by having Infernape deliberately take Thunder to get to low enough health which ironically was a very Paul-esque thing to do. At least Ash and Greninja actively trained to master the A-G form.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Geez, are people seriously complaining about Alain winning the league, saying that he cheated?

Whether you want to admit it or not, Ash lost. He had a full six on six battle against Alain and lost. That does not mean that Alain cheated. Heck, Lysandre was the one who tricked him into collecting mega evolution energy for the megalith. There is no way to prove that Alain used the mega evolution to power up his Charizard. He didn’t even know he was being used.

I would much rather Ash lose to a character who actually got some development prior to the league. Tobias’ whole purpose was to have Ash lose the Sinnoh League and he had two legendary Pokemon, does no one care about that? I mean really?

Sheesh

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
We can all agree Alain is a ridiculous strong fighter because of his Haxzard X and sudden random knowledge of his other 5 nobodies in his full team we have never seen at all and are surely bitter working for him.

We can also agree his character is the dumbest one that can't tell evil even with a big sign in bold letters spelling the words.

We can be honest his character is controversial.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Let them complain I say. None of these matter for the producers/writers though as they would still run their "Ash failing the league" syndrome as much as they wanted, regardless if the character is a hax or not.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The only times where Ash’s losing a League were clearly rigged are Tobias who was way overpowered because he had a Darkrai and Latios and possibly other Mythical and Legendary Pokemon on his team which is pretty unfair when you think about it (seriously, how is a Torterra supposed to defeat a Darkrai that knows Dark Void?) and then Cameron who only won by pure luck.

DatsRight

The only times where Ash’s losing a League were clearly rigged are Tobias who was way overpowered because he had a Darkrai and Latios and possibly other Mythical and Legendary Pokemon on his team which is pretty unfair when you think about it (seriously, how is a Torterra supposed to defeat a Darkrai that knows Dark Void?) and then Cameron who only won by pure luck.

I am wondering how the Alolan league will go about it though. I mean there's barely any current teams more developed than Ash's.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I am wondering how the Alolan league will go about it though. I mean there's barely any current teams more developed than Ash's.

There's usually some participants that get introduced close to a league. We've seen two of Kukui's pokémon and he most likely has more, Hau could still get introduced at the league, Gladion has been off-screen since Ultra Adventures episode 12, Ilima we don't know much about yet... I don't see Ash losing at the league to Kiawe or Lillie, but I can see him potentially losing to Kukui.

satopi

It's been foreshadowed since episode 2 that Ash and Kukui will battle considering their first battle was interrupted and they never had the chance to battle each other so far.

DatsRight

It's been foreshadowed since episode 2 that Ash and Kukui will battle considering their first battle was interrupted and they never had the chance to battle each other so far.

Not in a way Ash knows at least. I wonder how he'd be able to keep Incineroar incognito.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think that'd be one of the sources of comedic relief at the league, Kukui entering as Royal Mask and desperately trying to keep his identity secret. I can see maybe Burnet figuring it out by then, as well as Rotom (Rotom could recognise Braviary from the wedding), but the others staying in the dark.

satopi

Not in a way Ash knows at least. I wonder how he'd be able to keep Incineroar incognito.
I feel like Ash will eventually find out that Kukui is Royal Mask. Outside of his Pokémon shown, he found Kukui's Royal Mask mask in the laundry, always noticing him sneaking off, and after all, he is Royal Satoshi. I have a feeling that Burnet knows but plays along and even if she didn't this whole time, I enjoy her and Ash's interactions when it comes to Kukui running off somewhere with barely an answer. Funny on how in the 2nd episode, Lillie mentioned how Tapu Koko used to challenge people to Pokémon battles and Alolan wrestling and that's what Kukui sort of does! :D I don't think Kukui would hide his Pokémon. He'll just reveal that he's been observing Ash the whole time and seen him grow since he first laid eyes on him. (I know since I just started binge watching the whole saga.)

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Thank you Datsright for making the thread go off-topic. :);)

In short though, Alain didn't cheat in any way. We all have have a good idea about how incredibly powerful his Charizard was, what it did in Mega Evolution specials already classified if as one of the strongest non-Champion Pokemon. When he and Charizard actually manage to gain that amount of strength via intense training, facing epic foes and Mega Evolution, why would one even need to cheat in order to win the 1st place. Alain didn't even need to follow any unfair means given his strength as a trainer. Ash lost to Alain fair and square, no matter how disappointing and salt the loss brings to us.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I fine it funny that people call Charizard X as the most broken pokemon owned by anyone in the anime. If you want an insanely broken pokemon, look no further than Lysandre's Gyarados who managed to take out most of Ash's entire team and continued to fight when Malva joined the fray.

Genaller

Silver Soul
I fine it funny that people call Charizard X as the most broken pokemon owned by anyone in the anime. If you want an insanely broken pokemon, look no further than Lysandre's Gyarados who managed to take out most of Ash's entire team and continued to fight when Malva joined the fray.
To be fair I’ve always said “Alain’s Mega Charizard X is the strongest non-Champion Mega Ace trainer Pokémon in existence (barring maybe Lysandre’s Mega Red Gyarados)”, so I’ve always acknowledged MRG as a potentially more broken Pokémon than MC-X though at the same time I wouldn’t call it outright better since the Pokémon it fodderised MC-X would be able to as well, and while it did take a team effort to beat MRG, it should be noted that both of MRG’s hits on MC-X weren’t “clean” (potentially wouldn’t have happened in a 1 vs 1 scenario since MC-X wouldn’t be distracted by Pyroar or left vulnerable due to catching A-G and Talonflame) whereas 2 (out of the 3) hits MC-X landed on MRG were “clean” (would’ve also occured in a 1 vs 1 scenario).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

Compared to a Pokémon that faced 10 Mega Evolutions (including an Elite 4 member), was doing decently well against Steven's Megagross, managed to defeat Zygarde (or at least weaken it for Flare), defeated Ash Greninja in all their encounters, and has only fainted on screen once, you think Lysandre's Mega Gyarados is more broken? Lol

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Compared to a Pokémon that faced 10 Mega Evolutions (including an Elite 4 member), was doing decently well against Steven's Megagross, managed to defeat Zygarde (or at least weaken it for Flare), defeated Ash Greninja in all their encounters, and has only fainted on screen once, you think Lysandre's Mega Gyarados is more broken? Lol
Well Lysandre's Mega Red Gyarados took on Mega Charizard X, Ash-Greninja, end of the region Pikachu, Ash's other members of the Kalos team, and still held its own, knocking put Noivern, Hawlucha, Talonflame and Goodra, would've very likely knocked out Pikachu too if Noiverm didn't take the hit for Pikachu. In addition, it was for a certain time that Mega Gyarados was managing to dominate both Mega Charizard X and Ash-Greninja and held the upper hand before Malva intervened. So I'd say it was portrayed as a bit stronger than Alain's Mega Charizard X.

That being said, I don't think that was Mega Gyarados' actual strength, because knowing Lysandre he likely used some Mega Evolution energy to power up Mega Gyarados or it was from the machinery Lysandre was wearing that Mega Gyarados got some extra boost.

satopi

Drake's Dragonite too. Alan's Mega Charizard X had intense training and kept battling strong Mega Pokémon consistently.

Thank you Datsright for making the thread go off-topic. :);)

@DatsRight wasn't going off topic when we're talking about leagues in general. And besides, the answer was spammed multiple times and we already know the Kalos League wasn't rigged. It's about time we talked about something interesting and worth talking about instead of this stupid old topic over and over again. This isn't more to say that hasn't been said.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Actually we know for a fact that Lysandre’s equipment did raise the lvls of his Pokémon in-game, so the anime translation of that would be that said equipment augmented his Pokémon’s strength a.k.a they were the equivalent of steroids. I honestly wouldn’t put MRG above MC-X (with or without the equipment) based on how they were shown interacting in that MC-X was explicitly shown scoring clean hits on MRG while the reverse was not shown (none of MRG’s witnessed hits on MC-X would’ve occured in a pure 1 vs 1). Amusingly enough as far as the broader online Pokémon anime community is concerned MRG isn’t even better than A-G.

http://aminoapps.com/p/se4k2zAsh-Greninja Vs Lysandre’s Mega Red Gyarados; Who Would Win?

http://aminoapps.com/p/uzndn8Alain’s Mega Charizard X Vs Lysandre’s Mega Red Gyarados; Who Would Win?

Guess the supposedly OP MRG didn’t leave much of an impact :p.

Last edited: