• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think ash has a chance of winning the Alola League?

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
It wasn't twisting the media - it's 100% the fans.
I was on Bulbagarden in 2002 when Ash lost Johto, and people then were complaining about him never winning a league.
The complaints weren't quite Kalos-tier rancor, but they were similar because of how the loss was structured.
Harrison appeared shortly before he'd defeat Ash, much like Ritchie, but he also had this promotion-driven team of unknown Pokemon.
Charizard only lost to Blaziken because OLM/GF/Nintendo wanted to hype anime viewers for Hoenn.
"We're dropping compatibility with Gens I-II and the day/night cycle...and replacing Misty as a heroine...but you can pick the starter that btfo'd Charizard!!"

Ash lost the league because of a thinly-veiled marketing push.

And much of those fans grew up and went into mainstream media. Hence why you'll see a lot more game references than anime references these days (If I recall correctly, in the early 2000s, Pokémon was primarily seen as an anime and TCG than a video game franchise by the mainstream media of that time, although the news article did reference the fact that the games were the original source). Unfortunately, their misconceptions also went into mainstream conscious, with gets repeated over and over again that you'll have casual viewers assuming things that blatantly exaggerated or fabricated.

For example, I recall a lot of folks both here and other social sites would often cite the Masamitsu Hidaka interview as proof that Ash will never win a League cause it would mean that the show would end. I've read the actual interview with Masamitsu Hidaka, specifically the second one, and this is what he actually said:

Now an overall question about the show. Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? He laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end. It will be the last episode. Going back to my first interview, I did not mention that he stated the show was cyclical because it could be the audience is constantly replaced (since children get older and leave, and new children come in), so they are allowed to get away with having the same repetitive goal. So, the show would probably continue the same way collect badges, travel through different regions, never age. Will Ash and Pikachu ever be replaced? No. Will they ever age? No. Will there be a 5th generation of Pokemon and will the show keep continuing? He laughed even harder and said of course. Pokemon will continue for many generations to come, and as he made it sound, probably forever.

Nowhere did he state that winning the League makes you an automatic Pokémon Master. He simply stated that Ash becoming a Pokémon Master would be the last episode. And Ash himself has stated that winning the League is not the endgame, but a small step to becoming a Pokémon Master. And the I Choose You movie revealed that a Pokémon Master is apparently greater than being the most powerful trainer in the world. That pretty much makes it clear that Ash's goal has no destination. It's merely the drive to always improve even as you appraoch the end of your life.

Yet, people continue to insist that Masamitsu Hidaka stated that Ash will never win a League. As if winning the League would somehow make a difference for Ash's journey.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
And much of those fans grew up and went into mainstream media. Hence why you'll see a lot more game references than anime references these days (If I recall correctly, in the early 2000s, Pokémon was primarily seen as an anime and TCG than a video game franchise by the mainstream media of that time, although the news article did reference the fact that the games were the original source). Unfortunately, their misconceptions also went into mainstream conscious, with gets repeated over and over again that you'll have casual viewers assuming things that blatantly exaggerated or fabricated.

For example, I recall a lot of folks both here and other social sites would often cite the Masamitsu Hidaka interview as proof that Ash will never win a League cause it would mean that the show would end. I've read the actual interview with Masamitsu Hidaka, specifically the second one, and this is what he actually said:

Nowhere did he state that winning the League makes you an automatic Pokémon Master. He simply stated that Ash becoming a Pokémon Master would be the last episode. And Ash himself has stated that winning the League is not the endgame, but a small step to becoming a Pokémon Master. And the I Choose You movie revealed that a Pokémon Master is apparently greater than being the most powerful trainer in the world. That pretty much makes it clear that Ash's goal has no destination. It's merely the drive to always improve even as you appraoch the end of your life.

Yet, people continue to insist that Masamitsu Hidaka stated that Ash will never win a League. As if winning the League would somehow make a difference for Ash's journey.
Ash has lost the league 6 times. I believe that they will continue to make Ash lose so that they can get him to the next region so that they cam promote the new games.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Ash can win and still go to another region. Never got the concept of him winning means he can't. They can easily just say that the next region has trainers stronger than the current. It was a very stupid argument. It is even more stupid when you factor the champion league we have known about for almost 15 years. Even if he won Alola they can easily pull him into the next region.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Ash can win and still go to another region. Never got the concept of him winning means he can't. They can easily just say that the next region has trainers stronger than the current. It was a very stupid argument. It is even more stupid when you factor the champion league we have known about for almost 15 years. Even if he won Alola they can easily pull him into the next region.
It's clear that the writers and the anime staff don't think this way.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It's clear that the writers and the anime staff don't think this way.
And it’s clear the things change quit being so ignorant

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Tell that to the past 23 years of Status Quo and Ash's numerous character resets
Yeah. The anime writers have clearly shown that they intend on keeping Ash 10 forever and make him lose league after league with no progress made. The only way I can see Ash winning a league is if a different development team takes over the anime.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Yeah. The anime writers have clearly shown that they intend on keeping Ash 10 forever and make him lose league after league with no progress made. The only way I can see Ash winning a league is if a different development team takes over the anime.
When the Pokemon anime started airing in Japan, it was intended to be just one and a half years long, i.e. just the length of kanto. We all know what happened afterwards. The show is running for more than 20 years now. Intentions do change man!!!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
When the Pokemon anime started airing in Japan, it was intended to be just one and a half years long, i.e. just the length of kanto. We all know what happened afterwards. The show is running for more than 20 years now. Intentions do change man!!!
Well, the anime writers are currently stuck in their status quo with no real change. What other reason is there that Ash has now lost 6 leagues with no progress made and the anime writers intend to keep it that way.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Well, the anime writers are currently stuck in their status quo with no real change. What other reason is there that Ash has now lost 6 leagues with no progress made and the anime writers intend to keep it that way.
Ash might lose the Alola League too. But that's something not set in stone! He might win this one as well. Only time will tell. There is no one to stop Ash from going to Galar region even if Ash wins this!

Shadao

Ash has lost the league 6 times. I believe that they will continue to make Ash lose so that they can get him to the next region so that they cam promote the new games.

And he won the Orange League and Battle Frontier at the tail end of the series. Nothing is ever so certain, especially when the rules of the League have changed so dramatically (Alola League has no badge requirement and the battles are no longer guaranteed to be six on six).

It is only fan inference that led to the misconception that "Win League = Pokémon Master." Ash will go to Galar anyways even if he wins the League with ease. You think a Pokémon Trainer would retire after they reach Pokémon Champion status?

That's a misconception. The writers don't control the story. That goes to the producers and the series director. The series director in particular sets the tone and premise of the story. The director collaborates with the head writer, who in turn directs the writers to write the scripts in a particular manner. Why else would director Tetsuo Yajima be so prevalent in XY discussion alongside Atsuhiro Tomioka?

On a related note, Sun & Moon has a new director and head writer:

Director: Daiki Tomiyasu
Series Composition (aka Head Writer): Aya Matsui

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
And he won the Orange League and Battle Frontier at the tail end of the series. Nothing is ever so certain, especially when the rules of the League have changed so dramatically (Alola League has no badge requirement and the battles are no longer guaranteed to be six on six).

It is only fan inference that led to the misconception that "Win League = Pokémon Master." Ash will go to Galar anyways even if he wins the League with ease. You think a Pokémon Trainer would retire after they reach Pokémon Champion status?

That's a misconception. The writers don't control the story. That goes to the producers and the series director. The series director in particular sets the tone and premise of the story. The director collaborates with the head writer, who in turn directs the writers to write the scripts in a particular manner. Why else would director Tetsuo Yajima be so prevalent in XY discussion alongside Atsuhiro Tomioka?

On a related note, Sun & Moon has a new director and head writer:

Director: Daiki Tomiyasu
Series Composition (aka Head Writer): Aya Matsui
But still, they're still stuck in their ways of tradition. Ash will never win.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Of all the official Leagues, I think Ash has the best chance of winning the Alola League. However, if he does, I think there will be some caveat to it, such as it either not yet being official, or the "anyone can enter" aspect meaning that he doesn't really face many, if any, League-level opponents. He will then go on to face a conference Chanpion from another League, or heck, even just a Galar Gym Leader/Master, and gets utterly trashed, prompting him to go to the next region to train and get better, realizing that the Alola League was still brand new and if it had been more established with rules for entry, he probably would not have won it.

Shadao

But still, they're still stuck in their ways of tradition. Ash will never win.

Tradition has a funny way of being broken. Would anyone really guess that Alola would be a school setting where Ash is stuck in one place for the majority of the series? Or that he loses his fingerless gloves? Or that he ends up catching a Mythical Pokémon (not befriend, catch) that happens to be his first Steel-Type Pokémon?

They are only stuck in "their ways of tradition" if the fanbase keeps moving the goalposts to maintain said-tradition. For a long time, we had the tradition of Ash catching Fire-Type Starters who were abandoned by abusive trainers. Now the fans insist it is Ash catching Fire-Type Starters with sad backstories that is tradition. Ash wins Orange League? Fans proclaim it doesn't count cause it's anime-exclusive League. Ash wins Battle Frontier, which is in the games and represent a challenge bigger than the Elite Four (especially when using Legendaries)? Fans proclaim it doesn't count because it's not "an actual League" even though the Battle Frontier is the big finale of AG. Already, I see fans preparing to move the goalpost again in the event that Ash wins the Alola League...

However, if he does, I think there will be some caveat to it, such as it either not yet being official, or the "anyone can enter" aspect meaning that he doesn't really face many, if any, League-level opponents.

Expect more of these in the near future.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Tradition has a funny way of being broken. Would anyone really guess that Alola would be a school setting where Ash is stuck in one place for the majority of the series? Or that he loses his fingerless gloves? Or that he ends up catching a Mythical Pokémon (not befriend, catch) that happens to be his first Steel-Type Pokémon?

They are only stuck in "their ways of tradition" if the fanbase keeps moving the goalposts to maintain said-tradition. For a long time, we had the tradition of Ash catching Fire-Type Starters who were abandoned by abusive trainers. Now the fans insist it is Ash catching Fire-Type Starters with sad backstories that is tradition. Ash wins Orange League? Fans proclaim it doesn't count cause it's anime-exclusive League. Ash wins Battle Frontier, which is in the games and represent a challenge bigger than the Elite Four (especially when using Legendaries)? Fans proclaim it doesn't count because it's not "an actual League" even though the Battle Frontier is the big finale of AG. Already, I see fans preparing to move the goalpost again in the event that Ash wins the Alola League...

Expect more of these in the near future.
Why else would Ash lose 6 leagues? It's almost as if they want Ash to keep losing over and over again to continue the series.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Why else would Ash lose 6 leagues? It's almost as if they want Ash to keep losing over and over again to continue the series.
By that logic, Ash should have never caught Meltan, which is a Mythical, and Ash never got a Mythical for 6 regions, plus a steel type, which also Ash didn't caught yet! No tradition should ever be broken?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Those are minor things to me. Him being the main character, Pikachu not being replaced, his never-ending goal & his companions/classmates lack of spotlights are what bothers me more.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
By that logic, Ash should have never caught Meltan, which is a Mythical, and Ash never got a Mythical for 6 regions, plus a steel type, which also Ash didn't caught yet! No tradition should ever be broken?
I'm not implying that. I'm saying that the higher ups at the anime do not want Ash to win.

Shadao

First rule of tradition, never assume it will happen again when circumstances change. If the Alola League was like the Gym Badge Quest League, complete with tough opponents all qualified for the run, I don't think people will raise prospects of Ash winning (unless Ash's team is far better than the Kalos Team). But Alola opened the League entry for all trainers, including trainers who only have one Pokémon. Now, we have to wait and see how the narrative would reflect this change in circumstances. I expected a smaller League, but I never expected people like Lillie and Mallow entering.

I remember having a field day when it's revealed that Ash's Froakie is going to evolve in XY, thus breaking the Water-Type Curse that fans usually talked (and complained) about even though narrative wise, it's obvious that Ash will eventually get Greninja based on the latter's popularity.

Though I will say that the biggest tradition break was having Team Rocket not appear in every episode of Pokémon starting with Pokémon Black and White. And that was enforced rule set by Takeshi Shudō that was followed faithfully years after he departed from the series.

Those are minor things to me. Him being the main character, Pikachu not being replaced, his never-ending goal & his companions/classmates lack of spotlights are what bothers me more.

Likewise, winning Leagues are minor things in the grand scheme of the series. Galar (or Gen IX) could have no Leagues at all, and that won't stop Ash from journeying there. My point is not breaking traditions will eventually lead Ash being replaced; it's that League victories/defeats are cosmetic window-dressing that fans take too seriously.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
And he won the Orange League and Battle Frontier at the tail end of the series.
Those don't count. They were gimmicky leagues; one was pretty much the anime version of American Ninja Warrior or something, and the other...well, it was transmogrified into some sort of strange "league" format that randomly decided to put Brandon as the "champion."