• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Ash will keep the Z-Ring after Sun and Moon?

NanoMoltres

I was watching the clip of Ash and Pikachu using the ten million volt thunderbolt on YouTube earlier when a certain comment in the comment section got me to thinking: do you think the Z-Ring will carry over into the Generation 8 anime or will we have another Ash-Greninja situation where the writers will have to write it off the show in order to prevent Ash from being too OP from the get-go? Like say maybe the Tapus decide to take back the Z-Ring after Ash completes the island challenge and does the Alola League or it just magically evaporates into light on the boat ride back to Kanto?

Personally I really hope Ash does get to keep his Z-Ring and is still able to preform Z-Moves with Pikachu and presumably his new team, but what do you think?

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
Just based on the way the anime treats how the Z-Ring works, probably not. It seem the Z-Ring *in the anime at least* uses some kind of special power unique to Alola. This "Ultra Aura" that Necrozma used to allow Alola and the Ultra dimensions to prosper. Then again, it seems the anime has a habit of at least keeping these kinds of things in the show in some form or another. So while I think Ash will have some contrived reason as to why he cant bring the Z ring with him to the next region, I doubt Z rings wont be a thing anymore.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Z-Moves clearly work outside of Alola, we've seen that when they all went to Kanto and fought in the Cerulean Gym.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I doubt it would carry over immediately, but he may use it in a Gen VIII League.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Nah, Ash will most likely leave both his ring and the crystals back to his room especially if GenVIII introduces a new gimmick. I expect the Z-Moves to reappear from time to time just like Mega Evolution though.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
He'll leave the Z-Ring and Crystals in his room with his collection of stuff from other regions.

the Crystals will go in a box, so he doesn't lose one under his bed or something ;)

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Since the Z-Ring can double as a Mega Ring, at least in the games, if it can in the animé, I could potentially see Ash taking the Z-Ring with him if Mega play a role in later Generations. The writers did allow Ash to use Z-Moves in Sun and Moon. If Megas and/or Z-Moves play a prominent role in later generations, I could potentially see Ash getting one or more of each. I could also see him keeping it and Pikachu's Z Crystal since their bond is so strong and the animé will want to give a constant example of just how strong that bond is.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Nah, like Ash Pokemons outside of Pikachu, it will be Oaked and Professor Oak would experiment and even use it offscreen, while Ash would start another journey without it.

Jeal

Nah, the writers will create a stupid excuse to prevent it, like breaking or losing it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't think Z-Moves will be a big deal in the next saga, so I don't think he'll keep the Z-Ring unless he upgrades it for the next gimmick. Although knowing the anime's distaste for continuity most of the time, he might simply get a new device in the next saga.

IcySealeo

I don't think so. And I really think that by the end of the series the writers will find a way to make Ash give up on his Z ring to help the region or some Pokemon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
IcySealeo said:
I don't think so. And I really think that by the end of the series the writers will find a way to make Ash give up on his Z ring to help the region or some Pokemon.

I could just imagine him leaving his Z-Ring with Lilie and asking her to use it to protect Alola from future threats or something. So Gekkouga all over again, basically.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Of course not.

Z-Moves will most likely not be removed come Gen VIII, but I wouldn't expect them to get any focus in later series. If we're lucky, they'll make sporadic appearances by other characters like with Megas.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I could just imagine him leaving his Z-Ring with Lilie and asking her to use it to protect Alola from future threats or something. So Gekkouga all over again, basically.

I don't see this happening, I can't imagine the writers waiting that long with giving Lillie her Z-Ring, not to mention that'd be the lamest way she could possibly get it. She has to earn that Z-Ring through her own skills, not just get it for free. I also don't see Ash giving the Z-Ring away, he received it from Tapu Koko after all. The writers drop the ball from time to time but I have more faith in them than that.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
I think they will bring Z Moves, but Ash will only put his Z Ring on for serious battles and will be at least seen on screen teaching his new and old Pokemon how to use Z Moves, together!

Leonhart

Imagineer
blizzardblaze said:
I think they will bring Z Moves, but Ash will only put his Z Ring on for serious battles and will be at least seen on screen teaching his new and old Pokemon how to use Z Moves, together!

I'm not as optimistic, because I remember some fans thinking that he'd occasionally use Mega Evolution in SM against tough opponents once we found out that he'd get a Z-Ring, and look how that turned out. If Z-Moves aren't relevant in Gen VIII, I don't think he'll use his Z-Ring.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think it's safe to say he won't keep it.

To be honest, I'm even surprised he was allowed to have one in this series. I've noticed that the show avoids giving Ash the wrist devices because... Reasons.

Anyway, I think the main point is how they are going ditch Ash's Z-power ring by the time the series ends?