• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Black&White 2 should go back to the Gen IV style instead of 3D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like the new style but I also think some things are pointless. I also feel that the game has to evolve with the DS. Not only for promotional sake, but for quality as well.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I personally think they should, I do like certain changes however I think Black and White just didn't really feel like a Pokemon game, what is your opinion?

I don't know about your uncertainty. Is your understanding about 3D is all about being realistic like real things? In video games, 3D meant eing able to view and move in 5 directions or more (just the 4 basic directions is more for 2D). And please tell us what you know and understand about the Phrase 3D.

Personally, 5th gen's design are at is best combining innovative 3D AND ALWAYS staying as a 2D battle. Why?

-It has the pixel sprite and 2D structures of Generation 1, 2, and 3.
-It has the animations from 4th Generation and coloring
-It flavors itself a fair bit with 3D from Pokemon Spinoff games (3D wise games like: Pokepark series, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Pokemon Coliseum and XD: Gale of Darkness)

I don't know. Maybe your concerned about the in game environment looking slightly like an open world. Ad if you still need to know more of it, play like the 3DS version of The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Tme

Vinny White

Hell yeah !!!

Cahlum

For me personally, HG/SS was the pinnacle of style and B/W felt like a downgrade. I guess this is because b/w should have been 3ds games if they wanted to go for this 3d effect. Looks quite poorly done in many places due to technical limitations of the console. I'm happy with the 3D battles, just the 3d on the field looks poor.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I like the look of it, although they seemed to be a bit too...self indulgent about it. For instance, just look at all the camera angles they used whenever you went on a bridge. Or rather, the Bridges of Camera Angles, as I and some friends joke. Besides that I don't think it has stopped it feeling 'like a Pokemon game'. That's different to how the game looks (heck, Colo/XD feels like Pokemon and that has 3D MODELS GASP).

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
I actually disliked the gen IV style, it was just a crappier version of what we got in this gen. (which is only logical seeing as they came first)

slkry

Graphs is not that good in BW2 as previous versions.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I absolutely hate every single DS version's pixelated buildings and environments. They look like cardboard, and I certainly hope that the transition to the 3DS changes this.

Sigilyph2

Trainer of Champions
If they didn't keep upgrading the graphics level, they would lose a lot of younger players who didn't play it before Gen IV and V.

MallorylovesVulpix

Trainer Since 1999
They are just so different. I honestly find the Gen 4 graphics easier on my eyes. I don't know why, Gen 5's graphics are beautiful and incredibly innovative, but I get headaches much more easily playing B/W/B2/W2 than I do playing D/P/Pt/Hg/SS. Plus, as others have mentioned, Gen 5's battle sprites are horribly pixelated. They are just...not what they could be. It honestly irritates me to have this beautiful game and have battle sprites look the way they do. I love their animations, but they just look lazily done. I do honestly prefer Gen 4 style graphics. To me they just look...better. I love Gen 5, and like I said, it is beautiful for what it is, I just don't like it as much. I think Soul Silver (and Heart Gold) was the most gorgeous Pokemon game I have ever played. Just my opinion.
Edit: I also love the chibi style characters...I find the BW style of characters to be ugly. Especially when they move. Ew.

Last edited:

ludiloco

wait what? go back to GenIV style? why not make genVI for GBC...

They should improve the games, not go backwards.

Richarizard

conspicuous absence
I don't mind the new style, but some of the animations/transitions (e.g. entering a door) are way too slow, and mess up the flow of the game.

Icing Sugar

Depends, some stuff from this new gen is cool such as the perspective, but I also like some of the 4th gen animations and graphics, for example the ball graphic when ur catching a pokemon.

SirBlazikeen

I really like the new style :D I like the blockiness or Gen III too but I think at the moment the graphics are heading in the right direction.

Kabloosh

I think adding more of a plot was a good idea. It gives the game more direction and it is nice to have all these side characters to battle or battle with.

I think if they just go back to throwing us out there they need to turn this game into an MMO. I think that would be pretty neat.

Todophile

PkMn Trainer
Places like Castelia City are unlike anything I've seen in pokémon, and when you go back and play previous games you realize how much has really changed. The only thing they need to work on are the sprites. Idk much about sprites but can they just make it less...notable?

JohnGazmon

Overall, the new style is cool - nice touches between BW and BW2 that i've noticed so far are a noticeable increase in quality of the battle location indicators during battle, animated trainer sprites are nifty and the C-Gear looks a lot better than it used to. Though given that I got stuck with the Munna skin on White, that didn't really take much to make it better.

Still, I do miss many a feature from Gen IV. Overworld Pokemon following, not having to hold down B to sprint all the time. Minor things really, but I feel that after the big fuss they made introducing the overworld Pokemon sprites and the following system, it seemed a massive dissapointment not to bring it back for BW or BW2, especially since it was a really nice touch.

As I say though, overall, very satisfied.

A bit off subject but the developers NEED to jack Pidgeot family up a bit...holy crap! Mine is at level 81, every stat but attack seemed to be maxed out and yet it is still inferior to the other five.

And if that isn't bad enough, the best moves Pidgeot could learn don't even have 100% accuracy and they tend to miss on the most crucial moments (and even at ridiculous moments like now...fly missed on a level 4 Purrloin).

Sckewi

I like the new style and think it adds to the experience of the game in a positive way. I actually think that White 2 is the best Pokemon game yet out of the ones I've played.

Xynno

I honestly think gen 6 will bring a large change as pokemon is going to shift to a new system, I suspect 3d models or high res moving sprites next gen. Also gen 5 was style > gen 4.

Heck I can't even looking HG/SS in the eye anymore due to B/W.

Status
Not open for further replies.