1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Gen 2 would've been better if they included more access in Kanto?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by MagnezoneWorld, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnezoneWorld

MagnezoneWorld Master of Magnezone

I know they pretty much did this in HG/SS, But do you think Gen 2 would've been more fun if they allowed you to catch Mewtwo, The Legendary birds, and gave you access to the underground path, Silph Co, etc.

2. Jaguartail

Jaguartail Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it doesn't really matter, since we have HG/SS

3. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

yes but i liked it all the same

4. White_Roar~

White_Roar~ Mother Monster

Well.... G/S/C and HGSS already really give complete access to Kanto.

So I don't think anything would've improved if nothing changed...

5. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

Definitely. Kanto was one of the major letdowns in G/S/C, they had removed all the fun areas from R/B/Y which made it a horrible region this time around. Not to mention the Gym Puzzles had been dumbed down to the extreme, and the wild Pokemon levels were the same as in R/B/Y. They should have included the old legendaries as well as all areas that were removed and made it possible to fight Pokemon at level 60+ (which wasn't possible in HG/SS either, sadly).

6. MagnezoneWorld

Not true, See what Winter02 said. :)

7. Ememew

Ememew Emerald Mew

I don't think it was so much the availability of locations (or lack thereof) that weakened the Kanto portion of G/S/C (or the remakes) so much as the lack of "plot" involved. There wasn't much to do outside of gathering the badges aside from a single story point involving the power plant and the areas affected by the missing part. There wasn't much sense of doing something during the Kanto portion of the game, in my opinion, which made me feel less motivated to finish the region.

I get that this was probably because they didn't have much space for an additional story on top of revisiting the area, but the lack of accomplishments between badges just made the secondary region feel even more secondary to me. What might have improved it for me would be less about locations and more about the motivation to go from one area to another. The reinstatement of the legendary pokemon in Kanto in HG/SS helped a little, but the fact that you already had to have all the badges for all of them but Articuno didn't help with the "going through the motions" feel the actual second set of 8 badges had.

8. MagnezoneWorld

I agree, and I found some interesting things on a website about a unused Safari Zone and the Pewter City Museum. So It looks like they did want to include more at one point.

9. Yes! All the empty cities, it creeped me out :p
    And yea, I wanted the Safari Zone and Mewtwo badly back then.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  10. pacman000

pacman000 Well-Known Member

Yes, but it was still nice to see the towns from the 1st gen.

11. Durbe

Durbe I'm tired

Yes, it would be nice. Kanto was a bit dull in Gen 2, but nevertheless enjoyable.

12. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly Staff Member Moderator

I did feel disappointed that there were so many areas I couldn't access like I could in R/B/Y, so Kanto did feel a little empty, but that didn't make me love the game itself any less. There was still the entire Johto region you could experience, after all. I didn't need the legendaries to be there either, since I still had my Yellow version. :p

~Psychic

13. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I liked that Kanto was accessible, but I was disappointed with the lack of certain areas. I don't get why places like Cerulean Cave and the Seafoam Islands were removed (well in the case of the latter, the islands were still there, but the caverns were caved in apparently). And I'm not even stressed out about the Legendary Pokemon that weren't in the game; I just wanted to explore all the places from the original Kanto region.

14. Focus Aipom

Focus Aipom Why so serious?

Well having Kanto in GSC was already a gift on its own. Just including it in the game was already a big thing on its own as it really made GSC seem much bigger than what it would have been if just Johto was included.

Indeed, Kanto was very empty; however, I still loved the fact that it was included. It made the journey just slightly more longer and made the game after the Elite 4 more exciting to play. Of course, having more would have been even better; however, I'm still happy with the result we got in the end.

15. Wolveram

Wolveram Vogelfänger

In the past when I first played Silver as a kid, I was disappointed because there was no Safari Zone or anything; having the Kanto gym leaders and Red totally made up for that. And yeah, HG/SS do have the Safari Zone and Seafoam Islands now, so it doesn't matter that much nowadays.

16. Shymain

Shymain Shaymin Lover

17. fruitjuice222

fruitjuice222 Banned

The really low levels of kanto sans the gyms killed it for me.

They should have done it like in BW where everything in Kanto has a minimum of level 65. The gyms could be in the 80s red can go to level 100etc, Johto can stay more or less the same.

18. Shymain

Shymain Shaymin Lover

19. Unoin

Unoin Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it matters that much. I just wish they hadn't cleared Viridian Forest:mad:

20. Shymain

Shymain Shaymin Lover

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.