1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Go is being set up to replace Ash?

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Sham, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sham

Sham Someone is calling us

There have been a decent amount of speculation of this occurring and since Pokemon2019, PK19 or “New Series” (whatever you’re calling it) is starting soon, I figured creating this thread would be interesting. If this is the case how do you feel about this possible transition?

2. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Nope. He's just a normal companion. He isn't replacing ash lol.

Gale_, RLC, Dragalge and 2 others like this.
  3. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

If he was meant to replace Ash you'd think Ash himself would be absent from PM2019.

I think he is there to placate fans desire of a new lead while keeping Ash around at the same time.

4. Sham

Sham Someone is calling us

The key word is “setting up” as in preparation. Ash wouldn’t be absent from a series where he wasn’t totally being replaced if that was happening.

5. Red and Blue

In that case I guess it depends what Ash decides to do goal wise at the end of PM2019. If for example he decides to become a frontier brain or replace Leon as champion in Galar I could see Gou taking over.

Of course Gou himself might catch a Pikachu if he is going solo

PorcelainVulpix and Sham like this.
  6. Kazuniya

Kazuniya Reading some posts

I considered it, but seeing how they had Ash win the Alola League and they still didn't write him off (or make him a less important character) when they easily could have, that makes me feel pretty confident he's never going away and that he'll forever keep the main character status.

Though considering Go's personality and connection to legendary Pokemon, he could easily replace him, I guess.

PorcelainVulpix and KenzeyEevee like this.
  7. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

Well, looking on trailer (and local Ash), I don't think the anime are ready for replacement. Only if new saga will be separate season, and next 24-25 will be completely other saga.

8. TwoThirds

TwoThirds What's occurin?

Nah don't think so, they need Ash so that they have an excuse for Pikachu to be around all the time lol. I think that if Go is well received though then they might keep him around for the next saga, or maybe get his own spin off series.

9. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I don't think he is being set as a replacement.

But the way I see, he looks more like the staff experimanting to see if the anime can afford a second male protagonist. I feel like Go is being intended to be a lasting presence in the show, with a run possibly as long as Brock's, if not bigger.

10. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

I don't think that Gou would replace Ash, and I don't want him to either. I think that the anime would become very boring if he took over.

11. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

This show hasn’t even started yet and we’re already talking about a traveling companion replacing Ash. Real answer is no, Go is probably like Dawn where he’s given a ton of focus and spotlight.

12. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Pikachu isn’t going to be replaced in the anime and by extension neither is Ash. Pikachu is the mascot of the franchise and the Pokémon star of the anime. Replacing or removing a lead as big as Ash and Pikachu has never worked out well for tv shows. 8 Simple Rule for Dating My Teenage Daughter barely lasted one season after John Ritter died. The seasons of X-Files without David Duchovny were a disaster. And Two and a Half Men wasn’t the same after Charlie Sheen was fired and Ashton Kutcher was cast. Very few shows that have done this rarely do well and last more than one additional season.

13. Konja7

Konja7 Well-Known Member

No. I don't think Go is set up to replace Ash.

Go is created to focus on a certain aspect of the franchise (Pokemon catching), while Ash focuses on another (Pokemon battling). Then both characters have complementary roles.

So, even if they want to replace Ash, I really doubt Go will be the replacement.

New protagonists in anime franchises aren't uncommon (even pretty popular protagonists can be replaced). Although I admit that replacing a protagonist with more than 20 years is more strange.

However, Ash a a character doesn't seem to sell so much, Pikachu is the popular one. Technically, they could create a new protagonist with a Pikachu.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  14. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

They'd have to keep OG Pikachu, because he's the popular one. It's not just any Pikachu that's popular.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  15. No he won't.

Leonhart likes this.
  16. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: Orientating surprises!

The two are shaping up to have a great chemistry together, it wouldn't be the same thing have Go alone

RLC, Spider-Phoenix and Leonhart like this.
  17. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

He won't. Having him winning the Alola league didn't make him retire and for 23 years that the show existed, it's far too late to replace him. He, along with Pikachu represents the show now.

18. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

No, replacing Ash means replacing Pikachu which means Scorbunny is replacing Pikachu and Pikachu is a mascot. So no.Also, Ash has long way to become Pokemon Master..

19. Red and Blue

Well if Ash is going to stick around for Gen 9 and onward the movies could always try a new protagonist seperate from Ash. They've already experimented with the Gen 7 movies so I can see them going that route for next Gen's films.

20. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

No. The Pokemon Company is too overprotective of Ash as a marketing tool. The day they remove Ash as the main character of the anime is the day the world ends.