• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Go is being set up to replace Ash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thought that at first, but now I just consider him to be a simple traveling companion. If the writers were planning on replacing Satoshi to begin with, then I think they would've just gone through with it by now instead of introducing a character who might replace him in a few years. I don't trust them enough to think that they're testing the waters.

MartínK

No, that's not going to happen, just like other people said, Gou is a travelling companion and a co-stars like Dawn

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Initially, I also thought that they might replace Ash with Go from the next region, but now when you look at it, it would be dumb to replace the mascots of the Pokemon anime. They shouldn't take a risk this big!!

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I sure as hell hope Go replaces Ash. Pikachu back story was heart warming as hell and enjoyable but it's time for Ash to go (pun intended??). Ash has reset around 999x each time a new region has started. It's about time he actually ages and let's Go take the spotlight. I only saw the first 20189 road and it's already better than SM series.

LOL, how many Pokemon puns can I got into this post?

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I sure as hell hope Go replaces Ash. Pikachu back story was heart warming as hell and enjoyable but it's time for Ash to go (pun intended??). Ash has reset around 999x each time a new region has started. It's about time he actually ages and let's Go take the spotlight. I only saw the first 20189 road and it's already better than SM series.

LOL, how many Pokemon puns can I got into this post?
Yeah better reset Go instead

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Yeah better reset Go instead

Ash has been around for many years. Even if he is the go to character its very stale at this point. Give him a mentor position and let the new gen take over.

Here is a great idea that won't ever occur: let one of them properly age and mature as the series progress. Let a aged MC mentor the new 10yr old MC. an MC that never ages is fine but it feels more compelling if they are able to pass on the knowledge to the newer gen. Something more similar to Gary's storyline. You can probably get 2-4 series with the current MC before they change guard. You don't have to reset Go either, he wants to catch them all. That's impossible to do in 2 seasons.

Gundam Age series had a generational plot of 3 genenerations that aged as the show progressed. I found that rather good and enjoyable to see that happen.

Watching Tom Cruises plight in the film edge of tomorrow was interesting but even repeating the same plot 999x gets annoying.

Last edited:

nickdt

No, they aren't replacing Ash or setting it up. You can have a few points for that.

1. Pikachu is the Pokemon Mascot
2. New Protagonist will have a Pikachu as its main Pokemon because of it as well
3. As such, there is no point in replacing Ash and Pikachu
4. The new Protag will likely get the starters and the popular mons as well, and considering Ash already has those, there is no point for the new Protag to also get those mons, but they have to be marketed somehow.
5. You cannot have Team Rocket without Ash, just like you cannot have Ash without Team Rocket, so its essentially changing 5 characters (6 if you count Wobbuffett) instead of 2 and this is what many people don't realize.
6. All the character and Pokemon build-up was pointless in all the 20 years of the anime.
7. At this point, its too late to replace Ash. If you wanted to replace him, they should have done so after Sinnoh, then have a new Protag for Hoenn and Sinnoh, replace that one with a Protag for Unova and Kalos and then one for Alola and Galar and start gen 9 with a fresh new Protag again.

BabaVanga

I doubt Go will replace Ash someday but I think he has a chance to stay in the main cast for longer.

I just wonder if they're going to change his mascot Pokémon if he'll stay for Gen 9.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Nope, Ash isn't going anywhere anytime soon in my opinion. Unless they change pokemon's mascot sometime soon, Ash and Pikachu will be here forever lol.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
In that case, i sure hope they show the cloning factories where all officer Jenny, nurse joys, Ketchum's mom and Ash Ketchum are grown. More importantly, where do they extract the memories of the final episode's Ash, discard the body and implant them into a fresh new 10yr old Ash. That would go a long way to explain why he isn't in his mid 30s at this point. Pikachu might also be a clone but a normal natural lifespan for a Pokemon is fuzzy atm that is presuming it's not predated on by humans of fellow pokemon.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
No, not a chance.
Go's goal is to catch every Pokemon.... pretty hard to show off mechanics like gyms/trials/anything else from the main game with a character like him. Not to mention it's hard to invest in his goal, one saga of him chasing Mew is fine but 10+ years of it? No thanks~

Rohanator

I could maybe see Go being a long term secondary main character (though his starter being a Galar Mon rather than something more timeless like Eevee makes me question it) but absolutely not an Ash replacement. As long as Pikachu is mascot, Ash stays, it doesn't even matter if his character feels complete enough to end, they'll just put some new spin to the show to keep it fresh with him like they have for the past few gens already. If winning a league didn't make them drop him, nothing will until it becomes profitable and having him AND new characters will always be the safest option.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I think Go could easily be the next Brock, if anything. He has a goal that doesn't really tie him to one place, and his catching every Pokemom gimmick makes him good advertising. I see him sticking around.

I can support that idea, it's been a long time since there was a character that wants to catch them all. Cutting him after one or two seasons or next region would look weird.

Though they are known to make some weird choices in the past that let the audience down in battles.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
No, not a chance.
Go's goal is to catch every Pokemon.... pretty hard to show off mechanics like gyms/trials/anything else from the main game with a character like him. Not to mention it's hard to invest in his goal, one saga of him chasing Mew is fine but 10+ years of it? No thanks~

I agree that since he has a goal that's somewhat more realistic than becoming a Pokemon Master, it's harder to envision the anime primarily focusing on his quest for more than a few years. I want to like Gou since he seems harmless enough, but I don't feel like he has enough charisma to carry the anime on his shoulders.

game3524

I could maybe see Go being a long term secondary main character (though his starter being a Galar Mon rather than something more timeless like Eevee makes me question it)

Yeah, Scorbunny being his starter makes me wonder if Go will be a long-term co-star. I mean Piplup was pretty popular for a while and yet they still moved on from Dawn when BW came out. If Eevee was his starter, then I would have no doubt that Go would be here for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.