• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Grass Starters have fallen off in the Anime?

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Ash's Bulbasaur was treated well and is the most reoccurring Kanto Pokémon Ash has besides Pikachu since it only missed an appearance in XY. I do wish the writers would have acknowledged his Poison typing. Razor Leaf, Vine Whip, Leech Seed, and Solarbeam is not a diverse enough moveset.

Ash's Bayleef was decent but like the rest of the Johtomons, they took a backseat to the Kanto starters. Kinda wish they had made Casey a serious rival so that way Bayleef could have had a personal rival and/or friend.

Ash's Sceptile was the ace of his team but it did come a bit late into the BF. I figured Tyson having a Sceptile and Ash having Grovyle would have had some kind of reaction from them. Honestly, I would have taken a Grovyle losing to his evolved form loss than whatever the hell they did with Pikachu vs Meowth in Boots.

Ash's Torterra was just a sad thing to watch. Turtwig was great, Grotle was good, but poor Torterra. The only thing that kinda saves Torterra is that it kept losing to really OP Pokémon like Palmer's Rhyperior, Bertha's Hippowdon, and Paul's Drapion. They should have gotten rid of Suicide Mountain for a better move. If they wanted Torterra to be surprisingly fast, they should have had someone teach it Rock Polish instead.

Ash's Snivy was the true decline of the Grass Starter mistreatment however. After all the times that Trip brought up the fact that Snivy hadn't evolved and that it had likely abandoned her previous trainer, both plot points were dropped harder than Cameron was as a baby. Honestly speaking, Snivy should have gone to Cilan. Ash's main Grass-type should have been Leavanny. At least having Cilan catch the rebellious Snivy would have added to his credence as a Grass-type Gym Leader and maybe she could have played his "straight man" role for all his "It's ___ Time!" moments. She would have definitely evolved under Cilan since he already had Pansage as his partner.

Clemont's Chespin was outshined by Maron's Chespin and that Chespin was put into a coma and Clemont's still couldn't surpass it. When Brock's Marshtomp is treated better than another starter on a companion, that's a problem. Quilladin and Chesnaught both received some of the WORST XY fillers I can remember. I can't even say it would have been better if Ash caught it. I think at this point, they should have just given Serena Chespin as well. It would have been a great Showcase partner with it's frenemy Pancham.

Ash's Rowlet was great! It kinda reminded me a bit of Bulbasaur, buuuutt that match against Hau's Decidueye was one of the worst battles in SM, imo. Instead of Ash having Rowlet and Incineroar by the end of SM, he should have had Dartrix and Torracat imo. Those would have been a better balance with Lycanroc and Melmetal. Perhaps during the battle with Decidueye, Rowlet uses Seed Bomb but then Hau orders Decidueye to hold on to it instead of smacking it away to prevent Rowlet from using the move. That would cause Rowlet to become angry enough to evolve to beat Decidueye and get it's Everstone back.

Goh's Grookey is a joke. I don't even know how to salvage this one. Hopefully it evolves in the future after it learns a 2nd move.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash's Torterra was just a sad thing to watch. Turtwig was great, Grotle was good, but poor Torterra. The only thing that kinda saves Torterra is that it kept losing to really OP Pokémon like Palmer's Rhyperior, Bertha's Hippowdon, and Paul's Drapion. They should have gotten rid of Suicide Mountain for a better move. If they wanted Torterra to be surprisingly fast, they should have had someone teach it Rock Polish instead.

Seriously why even bother have Paul's Torterra show how to fight defensively if it was only going to help a few times and only in one actual battle.

Ash's Snivy was the true decline of the Grass Starter mistreatment however. After all the times that Trip brought up the fact that Snivy hadn't evolved and that it had likely abandoned her previous trainer, both plot points were dropped harder than Cameron was as a baby. Honestly speaking, Snivy should have gone to Cilan. Ash's main Grass-type should have been Leavanny. At least having Cilan catch the rebellious Snivy would have added to his credence as a Grass-type Gym Leader and maybe she could have played his "straight man" role for all his "It's ___ Time!" moments. She would have definitely evolved under Cilan since he already had Pansage as his partner.

Iris could've used it as well, i mean in that one episode (the one that involved crossdressing) Iris commanded Snivy almost perfectly against that snob ladies Cinccino

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Iris could've used it as well, i mean in that one episode (the one that involved crossdressing) Iris commanded Snivy almost perfectly against that snob ladies Cinccino

Iris didn't need more non Dragon-types. Cilan as an actual Grass-type Gym Leader desperately needed more Grass-types.

Iris should have caught Dragonite as a Dratini or Dragonair and/or have caught Gible in the actual series and not a special episode if they didn't want her to have Deino or Druddigon for whatever reasons.

tsunamimijumaru

Ash's Bulbasaur was great not even any need to go into detail on that one.

I honestly never cared about Bayleef it was decent I guess but I personally wish Ash only caught Cyndaquil in Johto.

Sceptile was also amazing but also evolved kinda late. I wish it evolved so that he could have earned Ash his last Hoenn badge as Pikachu took up a lot of battles in those gyms.

Torterra had potential to be one of Ash's best defensive mons. I still really love it but I just wish it didn't get done so dirty. If anything Grotle should have beat ryhperior and tied with Honchkrow in the rematch to further show its improvement with its new battle style. It makes sense that he lost to Bertha and Infernape seriously didn't need two wins against Volkner and to wipe out Half of Paul's team that's easily two more wins Torterra could have had and then he loses to Drapion.

I don't mind that Snivy went to Ash but she should have evolved into Servine, had an ep with her previous trainer and learned a coverage move to get rid of attract.

Don't like Chespins evolved forms so I'm glad Ash didn't get it.

Rowlet was great but just don't like how they used his gag in a league match and also wish they gave him something like Sucker Punch or Ominous Wind instead of Feather Dance to battle Decidueye and build a strategy around that. That battle should have also been a 2 v 2 with Torracat getting some hits in so the win is more believable.

At this point I'm not bothered Ash doesn't have any of the Galar starters. They're hardly my favourite trio and the way they been treated under Goh's ownership just makes me appreciate the change. I thought Grookey might evolve which would bother me since why should Goh get all fully evolved starters when he barely battles but at this point I think Grookey will stay as it is.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
- Chespin. I think @Spider-Phoenix could probably rant about this one more than I could but yeah he was done dirty. His fate was pretty much sealed the moment he went to Clemont
I think you kind of summed up the thing really well.

What stinks more is that the exact moment they previewed the OP before the series' started and I found out Chespin wasn't going to neither Ash nor Serena, I knew he was going to end up Kalosian Mudkip.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I think you kind of summed up the thing really well.

What stinks more is that the exact moment they previewed the OP before the series' started and I found out Chespin wasn't going to neither Ash nor Serena, I knew he was going to end up Kalosian Mudkip.
Not helped by the fact that Serena's Braxien is now a Delphox which retroactively makes this the 3rd Gen in a row where we have Fully Evolved Water and Fire Starters but the Grass Starter is left in it's Base stage

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I think that Rowlet was handled well in sm. its good it didn’t go to the green girl and then would be be wasted and just help in making sandwiches, toasts or Malawaches all day

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Iris didn't need more non Dragon-types. Cilan as an actual Grass-type Gym Leader desperately needed more Grass-types.

Iris should have caught Dragonite as a Dratini or Dragonair and/or have caught Gible in the actual series and not a special episode if they didn't want her to have Deino or Druddigon for whatever reasons.
Rather than emolga , iris should have snivy as her non dragon type that looking like dragon type , it’s really perfect for her and we long overdue to have female companion with grass starter like I don’t get it we got may and Serena for fire and Dawn and Lana for Water , yet none for grass

For cilan in the anime , he really didn’t have any interest on grass type mon

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Rather than emolga , iris should have snivy as her non dragon type that looking like dragon type , it’s really perfect for her and we long overdue to have female companion with grass starter like I don’t get it we got may and Serena for fire and Dawn and Lana for Water , yet none for grass

For cilan in the anime , he really didn’t have any interest on grass type mon
Technically May did get a Grass Starter. Just not one from her own Gen

On the bright side tho, Sprigatito is almost certainly going to the Female companion next Gen (if there is one)

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan

Cilan being a Grass type trainer didn’t really matter that much just like it doesn’t in the games.