• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Greninja will come back in pokemon sun and moon?

Do you think Ash's greninja will come back in sun and moon?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Probably Not

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Not likely, but I hope it does

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
For some reason the thread title screams "I miss XY, it was such a badass series."

Personally, I wouldn't want Greninja to come back in SM. I would rather have Ash's Alolan Pokemon to be focused in this series, and like the companions they would appear fully in this series before they're gone or be Oaked. Besides, it would be embarrassing for the Pokemon to lose the league 2 times, and it's most likely will happen, unlike Ash & Pikachu.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I hope not. Wouldn't want Ash Greninja to outshine everyone more than usual. Greninja has no reason to be here. It's service is needed in Kalos.
Um, nope, if you're trying to imply that it's service is forever needed in Kalos then know that you're wrong, it was never even once stated that Greninja was released to be the protector of Kalos, Greninja was released to deal with the negative energy vines that remained in Kalos after the Team Flare incident, because Zygarde asked for Greninja's help in that matter. Greninja has a special ability to sense the negative energy vines, which Zygarde cannot do. So it's for that reason that Greninja was released to destroy the negative energy vines along with Zygarde. After Greninja is finished dealing with the vines, it literally has no reason to be in Kalos anymore and then it would make perfect sense for it to come back at Oak's lab. It's Zygarde's role to be the protector of Kalos as a whole, not Greninja's. Remember that it's confirmed that Oak currently has Greninja's Pokeball, so the door's always open for Greninja to come back there. Greninja can just go back to Sycamore (whom it knows very well, as a Froakie it originally stayed at Sycamore's lab) and his lab from where Sycamore can easily transfer Greninja back to Oak's lab via the Pokeball trasport system.

If the writers do want to bring Greninja back, they will, period. And I believe that's more likely than not, because Greninja is one of the most fan-favourite, popular and iconic Pokemon of Ash, one of his regional aces. The power of popularity and fanservice should never be underestimated, it's the same reason why we got to see Charizard in BW again.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Um, nope, if you're trying to imply that it's service is forever needed in Kalos then know that you're wrong, it was never even once stated that Greninja was released to be the protector of Kalos, Greninja was released to deal with the negative energy vines that remained in Kalos after the Team Flare incident, because Zygarde asked for Greninja's help in that matter. Greninja has a special ability to sense the negative energy vines, which Zygarde cannot do. So it's for that reason that Greninja was released to destroy the negative energy vines along with Zygarde. After Greninja is finished dealing with the vines, it literally has no reason to be in Kalos anymore and then it would make perfect sense for it to come back at Oak's lab. It's Zygarde's role to be the protector of Kalos as a whole, not Greninja's. Remember that it's confirmed that Oak currently has Greninja's Pokemon, so the door's always open for Greninja to come back there. Greninja can just go back to Sycamore (whom it knows very well, as a Froakie it originally stayed at Sycamore's lab) and his lab from where Sycamore can easily transfer Greninja back to Oak's lab via the Pokeball trasport system.

If the writers do want to bring Greninja back, they will, period. And I believe that's more likely than not, because Greninja is one of the most fan-favourite, popular and iconic Pokemon of Ash, one of his regional aces. The power of popularity and fanservice should never be underestimated, it's the same reason why we got to see Charizard in BW again.
You're the one assuming I meant forever, which I never stated. Also, Greninja is protecting Kalos by association and helping with something Zygarde can't do alone which is why it stayed in Kalos. Yes, Greninja can always be transferred to Oak's lab but that isn't to say it's a definite that it'll return nor not return. So until then, Kalos does need Greninja.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
You're the one assuming I meant forever, which I never stated. Also, Greninja is protecting Kalos by association and helping with something Zygarde can't do alone which is why it stayed in Kalos. Yes, Greninja can always be transferred to Oak's lab but that isn't to say it's a definite that it'll return nor not return. So until then, Kalos does need Greninja.
Your post made it seem like you meant that Greninja shouldn't return because it's needed in Kalos, but whatever. In association, yes, but it's job isn't to be the protector of Kalos as a whole, which in actually Zygarde's job.

And I'm not someone who is inclined to believe that the writers would have one of Ash's regional aces, which are very important Pokemon for Ash as per Ash's Pokemon are concerned, a Pokemon that received the spotlight of an entire region, permanently released. Greninja's popularity, its fan-favouritism, its iconic form, are some reason at least why the writers won't likely have a Pokemon like this permanently released and never come back.

Last edited:
It did have a personality as a Froakie. And maybe because of the dire situation in Kalos that it couldn't really act laidback or comedic. It wasn't the time nor the place. They could always make it the silent soldier who gets soft around little kids and playful Pokémon. Not out of character at all.

Wow, all of Ash's fire types/Pokemon must have a dark past rather than trust/abandonment issues just because they had a worthless trainer that didn't care about them. And Froakie wasn't abandoned by his other trainers. Froakie left those trainers, because he felt they wouldn't make him stronger. Froakie just so happened to choose Ash as the one to be it's Trainer. The only other thing in it's past was not getting along with other Froakie in it's ninja village.

Froakie was never outgoing either. All iterations if AG, whether it was a Greninja, Frogadier, or a Froakie was ever hugely expressive or playful

The silent soldier thing with the kids would fine, but I still don’t trust SM with a potential AG revisit.

Ye the past thing was over exaggerated by me. My bad

DatsRight

Froakie was never outgoing either. All iterations if AG, whether it was a Greninja, Frogadier, or a Froakie was ever hugely expressive or playful

The silent soldier thing with the kids would fine, but I still don’t trust SM with a potential AG revisit.

Froakie was more reserved, but it was still somewhat expressive, just in a 'comically serious' sort of way (eg. blushing around Bonnie or Fennekin or getting visibly angry or flustered). Even it's stoicism was played for laughs more often. It did also take part in a lot of the fun and games the other Pokemon had such as in the Pikachu Klefki short. It wasn't a buzzkill.

As it evolved, it lost that comical fallible tint to it's character and mostly became a satellite character with Ash that didn't really interact with anyone else anymore or appear much except to battle and train.

Compare to say, Litten, who was also more serious and reserved than it's team mates but kept that comical streak to it and continued interacting with the other members of Ash's team, even after becoming Torracat.

Eeveelutiongen1to7

A guy who loves Eeveelutions!

Why dont you trust them if SM visits AG*

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
You can't ruin a character if it barely had any character to begin with outside of getting stronger and super special bond phenomenon.:cool:
You're telling me being strong and having a special power isn't enough for a good character?! Blasphemy! (This is joke/reference. Not targeting anyone :))

Last edited:

keepitsimple

site of lies
You can't ruin a character if it barely had any character to begin with outside of getting stronger and super special bond phenomenon.:cool:
he's a freaking pokemon lol, why would he even need any other characteristics than that. not like greninja is a human character

and yes the fact that he has character traits means it is possible to write him ooc. for example, writing him as a more comedic, lazier or weaker pokemon would be writing him out of character based on what we know about him which is that he's really serious and mostly cares about becoming stronger

you're just using that member's post as an excuse to bash greninja

Last edited:

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Yeah, but would that really be true to AG’s character? I’m not sure I would personally like it if they turned AG into a joke or something like that.

Them forcing a personality would be seriously hard to see and I really really wouldn’t like it if they did

Not really a dark past, but the whole thing about him getting abandoned by other trainers.

They can easily give it comedy moments without turning it into a bum lol, I don't really get the concern (plus it will almost certainly get a cool battle/action scene if it does come back)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
considering poipole's status is up in the air, and there doesn't seem to be any indications of Ash getting another pokemon soon with only one trial left, I really wouldn't care if it did come back.

Nope. His time has passed and they have new things to promote :p

You do realize that we couldn't get Ash-Greninja in the games until Sun and Moon, therefore it falls under gen 7 promotion.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
That's like saying Zygarde should come back because it's technically Gen 7 promotion, even though they pretty much did everything they could with it in Kalos.

who's to say they are done with it.

after all, there are three other "cores" that could easily be living in Alola, and if things go to far with Necrozma, who's to say the two in Kalos won't come running with Greninja to aide the other three?

nothing is certain, but it is possible.

Aquafinna

he's a freaking pokemon lol, why would he even need any other characteristics than that. not like greninja is a human character

and yes the fact that he has character traits means it is possible to write him ooc. for example, writing him as a more comedic, lazier or weaker pokemon would be writing him out of character based on what we know about him which is that he's really serious and mostly cares about becoming stronger

you're just using that member's post as an excuse to bash greninja
Personally I enjoy little quirks and characteristics that come with Pokémon; that’s what makes it so fun. Like Oshawott’s and Piplup’s over confidence and prideful emotions often getting them into trouble.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
You do realize that we couldn't get Ash-Greninja in the games until Sun and Moon, therefore it falls under gen 7 promotion.

Ash-Greninja was created specifically for the anime and put in the games later.

The only thing it "promoted" was the anime itself. It's no different than the Pikashunium Z or the Cap Pikachu.