1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Hunter J was the best villain in Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by matt0044, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bluesonic1

bluesonic1 Bird, Wolf, Dragon~

Couldn't have said it better myself. She was the best! I also agree that she would be more honored by a death, so I wouldn't want to see her back, but likewise it would be nice to see more criminals like her =/

2. matt0044

matt0044 Well-Known Member

I just wish that her death wasn't so sudden and that she had one last encounter and battle with Ash before then.

Seriously, the death we got made me feel like the writers ran out of ideas for so they wrote her off like that. That's not good.

3. poizonsting

poizonsting Pokemon master

Unless some kind of divine wisdom has befallen on you guys that states the fate of Hunter J (in other words, that she's dead), please tell me where it was explicitly mentioned that she's indeed dead.

4. matt0044

I was saying "if" she was dead.

5. poizonsting

When did you say that? Reading your post, I see no reference of your doubt.

Yeah, I read it with 5 times (even with magnifier on), but still couldn't find the "if".

6. matt0044

Who do you think you are? My teacher?

7. Elxar

Elxar Well-Known Member

On an evil/serious standpoint, yes. But I'd go for Team Rocket for the best villain or better yet the Cassidy and Biff/Buff/Butcher whatever his name was lol duo w/ Dr. Nanba. Evil Diabolical Comic relief was more of my cup of tea.

8. DarkWobbuffet

DarkWobbuffet BEEEEAAAARR!!!

Yeah, I liked J. It's nice to see somewhere in this almost suspiciously perfect world where there's no wars or political corruption and the most lethal threat is some guys in goofy outfits stealing microchips once a year, there's people who genuinely are a huge threat and sometimes get away with it.

Which makes me sad she got killed off so soon. Admittingly I was surprised the writers had the wontons to kill off a character, but why did it have to be the one original character the writers created who actually made things dangerous in the Pokemon world? Most of the cast we''l never see again because they're exclusive to a single region, but J could have stuck around to be a reoccurring villain.

What, did one of the heads of the writing staff realize they accidentally created an interesting character who wasn't a generic CoTD and think she has no place in this series? Apparently so, considering instead we now have Team Rocket being the boring serious business role who do nothing but talk to their colleges and pass around suitcases. This is WAAAAY better then an actually compelling villian like J. >.>'

9. bookist

bookist Well-Known Member

Yes hunter J was a good villain. I mean most of the villains (Jessie/James/Meowth) are never acknowledged as such yet J was. She was an assassin for hire essentially which was a good contrast to the show. Shame she was killed, the writers probably thought she was to serious for pokemon, but whatever, you can't always get what you want. Seriously, I hope she returns though.

10. bookist

bookist Well-Known Member

Yes hunter J was a good villain. I mean most of the villains (Jessie/James/Meowth) are never acknowledged as such yet J was. She was an assassin for hire essentially which was a good contrast to the show. Shame she was killed, the writers probably thought she was to serious for pokemon, but whatever, you can't always get what you want. Seriously, I hope she returns though.

11. yuzke

yuzke Well-Known Member

Hunter J was the best villian so far, diamond and pearl saga was freaking boring at last she added some evil drama in the show ... i wont hope she comes back in best wishes saga but they should add villians like her so the show would be more entertainment ...

12. poizonsting

Did I even say that I'm your teacher or that you're my apprentice? However, I won't stand or let anyone spout flawed conclusion.

Hunter J is neither dead nor alive unless proven otherwise - a classic example of Schrödinger's cat model (see page 2 for reference). Although I believe she has cheated death and is very much alive, what I believe is not important in this context. I'm not going to debate this out whether J is alive or dead, but the difference between me and you (and Darkwobbuffet, bookist, bluesonic1, and many other users) is you (as well as the others) make a flawed conclusion about J's death being a "carved in stone" thing when it has never been confirmed officially, whereas I do not guarantee that she's alive, since it's never been confirmed either. When I seize your flawed conclusion right on its track, you try to divert away from the point with an imaginary "if".

I do agree that the way the writers kept the audience dangling about the fate of J is a way of writing her off the show. Then again, writing off the show =/= dead.

Again people, I'd like to see the source where it's explicitly mentioned that she has been killed.

13. Yes I guess, better than Team Rocket anyway however we still haven't really seen Team Plasma in action (in regards to the anime) so we'll have to wait and see.

14. ^.^

^.^ Banned

Omg Hunter J, I think she was one of my fav villians in the series, her and TEAM ROCKET! (Jesse, James & Meowth)

15. Elxar

Elxar Well-Known Member

Team Rocket sucked because they appeared on every freakin episode, otherwise if you compile their cream of the crop they probably beat every villain in the series hands down. Put hunter J in every episode and I doubt she will even last on season.

16. matt0044

Just let it go.

To be honest, I don't wish she was in EVERY episode. I wish she appeared more often so that we could learn more about her (her past and how she came to be a Pokemon Hunter with such advanced technology). Her supposed departure took her potential and flushed it down the toilet (a fitting metaphor). She was the only bad guy (or gal) on the Anime who could've been very interesting (aside from Giovanni in BW). I just can't believe how she could suffer such a (supposed) injustice.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  17. DarkWobbuffet

DarkWobbuffet BEEEEAAAARR!!!

I think the whole, "Her airship was blown up into flames and crashed into the ocean and no one's heard hide nor hair of her since" thing was pretty concrete enough.

18. poizonsting

Likewise, I could as well hypothesize as to how she could have cheated death and escaped from the airship - "Told Salamence to use its signature move Hyper Beam on the wall of the airship to make a hole such that she could escape". As much of a concrete conjecture that is, it's not been confirmed officially; and neither has yours.

I am okay with your belief (if you think J is dead, that's none of my business), but quit making a fact out of it!

19. matt0044

That is possible. It seems like they wanted to do something extra with her that would lead her to her ultimate downfall but couldn't as the rushed league showed us. Same with Charon.

20. AmericanPi

AmericanPi Write on

Hunter J is one of the best villains ever... aside from Cassidy and Butch. I'm constantly debating with myself who is the better villain.

I'll just put it this way: Hunter J is evil and villainous, while Cassidy and Butch are funny and not-really-villainous. It's a shame that J had to die so soon, though. She could have followed Ash into the Unova region.