• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Hunter J was the best villain in Pokemon?

TR4eva

A Friendly Rocket
Hunter J definitely brought some serious villainy into Pokemon, she was professional and had sinister methods of getting her way. It was never the typical 'take over the world' ploy which made her stand out and me like her. I think she was really only a Sinnoh character, and with the Sinnoh saga drawing to a close- I doubt we'll be seeing anymore of her :(

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I highly doubt that J is alive...she was indeed a very sinister character for pokemon...Not showing an ounce of respect or consideration for people or pokemon...when the price was right, she'd stop at nothing to get what she wanted, and wouldn't allow for anyone to get in her way...And just for that, I think it would be more appropiate for a character like herself to be terminated in death...

Just because you expect (want even) her to dead doesn't necessarily mean she would actually be dead. As I have mentioned several, several times before that she's neither alive nor dead unless otherwise stated explicitly, much like the Schrodinger's cat scenario. You can't prove she's dead, neither can I that she's alive. Logical speculation is the farthest we can go as of now. The show needs exclusive villain(s) like her to spice things up from being monotonous. Don't bother mentioning the new Team Rocket or Team Plasma - no other antagonistic characters have ever been so dark, cold, calculating, ruthless, and witty at the same time to match J in my opinion.

you'll only have to go with what was given to us, and that's basically what we've been doing.

Exactly. We are going by what has been given to us. What was given to us? Anything but the fate of J (see below).

There was far too much symbolism that would represent the termination of J and her team. For one, while she was attempting to catch the lake trio, she was directly attacked with their Psychic energy...damage represented in her damaged visor. Who knows how much pain her body sustaind from that? After that, when she got back on her ship with her crew, the ship was struck with the Pixies' Future Sight attack.

Yeah, gotta wonder how much pain could Jessie, James, and Meowth could sustain from Pikachu's Thunderbolt for 600+ episodes. If we go by your logic, they should have been affected by paralysis by now. J didn't blast off, which must mean she took less damage than Team Rocket does by Pikachu in the span of an entire episode. Apart from the symbolism that you apparently pulled off out of nowhere, unlike TR J's clothes showed no sign of damage, let alone her suffering from visible physical injuries. My point is you could break your glasses if you drop them on the floor.

While the ship was going down into the lake's torrent whirpool thing, that would've been the perfect opportunity to call out her Salamence or one of her pokemon for an escape because the ship was going down, and the crew couldn't do anything to get it working.

I've got the hunch that's exactly what she did.

As the ship was going down in the depths of the water, J's visor was sinking down along with the ship. Now, something like that may represent that J may have had a very small chance to make an escape from the water, but smaller than her chances before. But that could also mean that as the water crashed into the ship, it could've washed away her visor as she sank to the bottom of the lake with the ship.

Normally in the anime, when they show personal items like the visor, or a headband (Naruto anyone?) falling off or getting lost dramatically, while the person not to be seen anywhere on-screen, they are most likely alive and usually returns afterwards. Notice, however, that I'm not guaranteeing you that J is alive, but that the probability of her surviving is quite high unless the writers have already decided to write her off the show.

And last but not least, there was the explosion. Now, this kind of explosion isn't the same as the kind of explosion that Giovanni escaped...This one is an explosion where J was closer to the source of the explosion, which would mean that her body and the rest of her crew would feel the impact of the explosion very quickly. For the explosion, the waters crashing in, and J's delayed action to make a move combined, along with all of that symbolism just makes me think that J is no longer alive. But that's just how I see it.

Here's my 2 cents:

The Future Sight hit the back of the ship, so the explosion must have taken place somewhere in the rear. The cockpit was most likely at the front, and even though J and her crew might have felt some sort of impact, I highly doubt that they had suffered from physical injuries that could result in the loss of their quick thinking ability. Since the explosion didn't cause any fire, the body of the ship must have been constructed out of fireproof material, such as silicon-titanium alloy, which should give J enough time to plan an escape route rather than worrying about getting incinerated. Assuming that the ship was designed aerodynamically, the psychic move from the pixies must have hit the radar - which is situated at the back-side of an airplane. A malfunctioning radar would result in the loss of maneuverability of the airplane. The lift (force) is primarily produced by the side wings, which is why we saw J's ship hovering on the air more than it was supposed to after it got hit, buying her some more time. The trajectory and at the speed the ship crashed into the water, it's still possible to stand on your ground, so I won't find it shocking had J called her Salamence in that 3-4 seconds and made her gateway. She could have dropped her visor in the process of that struggle.

If the writers followed the physics so immaculately, kudos to them!

J is finished.

Your word is not the word of god, or in this case the word of the writers. As I have mentioned many times before, as well as I have to agree with Cyber here, that the manner J got her ending or send-off is like the writers' way of saying that they are done with her.

Champion Jared 14

I highly doubt that Pikachu is anywhere near as powerful as the lake trio...Let's not forget that Pikachu's Thunderbolt power, as well as his power overall is dependent on Plot Power, so the 600+ times of Pikachu shocking them, they all could've been shocking only enough to shake them, or send them blasting off...Who knows?

And besides, there was exactly THREE seconds before J's ship made contact with the water...And J was in fact still seen on the ship before it collapsed with the water....That would've been a perfect opportunity to escape. Why didn't she take it??

I think J's sendoff is pretty much convincing that they have little, to no reason to have her back.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I highly doubt that Pikachu is anywhere near as powerful as the lake trio...Let's not forget that Pikachu's Thunderbolt power, as well as his power overall is dependent on Plot Power, so the 600+ times of Pikachu shocking them, they all could've been shocking only enough to shake them, or send them blasting off...Who knows?

But...but...Pikachu defeated Regice and tied with Latios whose total base stats are 580 and 600 respectively, to match with the total base stats of 580 of the pixies. Plot power or not, Pikachu can be as strong as a legendary (not just at the deity level). If Pikachu isn't as powerful, then Regice and Latios must have been week. That's not the case, however, since Regice belonged to a Frontier Brain and Latios belonged to a trainer who could sweep all 8 gyms with a single Darkrai. This, then leads to a paradox. Basically, you're looking at things as if real-life physics would completely emulate into the Pokemon world. In the show, characters might fall from a cliff that could be as high as an 87 storied building, but their bones remain unscathed. In the episode "Gotta Get A Gible" in attempt to save Gible from TR, Ash once jumped from the edge of one cliff to another, and I bet that broke any world record in long jumping. You just can't apply your day-to-day logic, common sense, or physics to some of the stuffs that happen in the show.

I think J's sendoff is pretty much convincing that they have little, to no reason to have her back.

That's what I said =/

However poor her send might have been, that doesn't necessarily dictate her death or anything - just that it's highly likely of not seeing her anymore.

Champion Jared 14

Base stats don't apply to the anime, and the writers can make Pikachu able to beat legends, but still lose to inexperienced starter pokemon. That's NOT the point I'm trying to make. Any*****,

There was 3 seconds before the ship made contact with the water in the lake. A handy criminal like J should have used that short amount of time to make an escape of somekind as she was seen STILL on the ship. And keep in mind that was only 3 seconds before the ship collided with the water. But for whatever reason, she did not.

And especially if she was still on, the chances of her not drowning or surviving a close range explosion are very, VERY slim.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
They obviously did that scene to wrap up her character. Since no DP characters will play a major role in the series again, it was obviously done to end her character rather than just never seeing her again.

The fact that people don't realize this is mind blowing.

indeed. As much as I hate the idea of an awesome character like J being dead, her character being wrapped up is far better than the likes of what happend with Bannai (the Magma thief that somehow managed to show up even after his organization disbanded), or the group from the Crystal special (who just had to tease us by somehow entrapping Rayquaza in the intro to the Manaphy movie). Awesome potential, but sadly being put to waste as the writers inexplicably put these characters on a bus.

Champion Jared 14

Umm, Cyber you're wrong...Looker is a DP character, and he's gonna be in one of those episodes with Team Rocket and Team Plasma in Best Wishes, so that isn't completely true....

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Base stats don't apply to the anime, and the writers can make Pikachu able to beat legends, but still lose to inexperienced starter pokemon. That's NOT the point I'm trying to make. Any*****,

Right...That's why except Slaking we haven't seen any Pokemon with base total stats of 600+ (a.k.a deity level Pokemon) under anyone's ownership. Maybe the writers don't apply raw base stats directly into the anime, but all legendaries are treated the same depending on which rank they are in. For example, all deity level legendaries like Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Groudon, Rayquaza, and such are treated the same in that corresponding rank, and greater legendaries like the pixies, Regice, Latios, Darkrai, and such are treated the same in that corresponding rank. In that context, the pixies are as equally powerful as Latios and Darkrai.

There was 3 seconds before the ship made contact with the water in the lake. A handy criminal like J should have used that short amount of time to make an escape of somekind as she was seen STILL on the ship. And keep in mind that was only 3 seconds before the ship collided with the water. But for whatever reason, she did not.

So? Maybe she presumed that her crew would get things back in order, clouding her judgement a little. We saw nothing of what J was up to in that said 3 or 4 seconds, which was probably presented to us with the intention of suspension. Anyhow, I don't find it very difficult for her to make a gateway in that 4 seconds.

And especially if she was still on, the chances of her not drowning or surviving a close range explosion are very, VERY slim.

Like I mentioned earlier - your word is not the word of god, and in this case the word of the writers. She's neither dead nor alive unless stated otherwise.

/argument

until her death i never liked future sight

When was it mentioned she's dead? Please provide your source. I'm sorry, but I don't stand false claims of a character's fate when J's fate is virtually hanging on a razor's edge.

Champion Jared 14

Poizonsting, you're NOT going to get a source saying if she's dead or not. Deal with it. You'll probably have to ask the writers themselves if you want it so badly, but really...use the context clues that were given...The Psychic attacks, the Future Sight damage to the ship, the visor, the inability of the workers to get it working, the sumberging of the ship, the explosion...

It may not have been directly shown that she's dead, but all of those things STRONGLY imply that she didn't survive IMO.

poizonsting

Pokemon master
I actually like that you mentioned "in my opinion", because afterall it comes down to one's opinion and how they look at it. At least this time you are not going around and spouting, like the others, that J is dead has been somehow established as a fact, for it has not. As much as your perspective is biased towards the circumstances for whatever reason, I can't really say I'm completely unbiased - that I want her to be alive for possible future cameos, and because she's undoubtedly one of my favourite characters as well. Whatever the reason might be, I have never attempted to prove my claim to be a fact, rather that her survival is a possibility in my notebook.

Nonetheless, I will destroy any argument of false claims of J's death being a fact.

Champion Jared 14

All of what I've said has been my opinion...Which is why I used phrases "it just makes me think", or "but that's just how I see it", or "IMO= in my opinion". But you just were so pressed to disagree with me that you thought that I was trying to pass off my opinions as facts, which I wasn't doing. If anyone was doing that, it was you poison, thinking "Oh J totally survived, she's still alive 100%, so you're wrong!"

Lol, I can't help it if my opinions are strong, that's just how I am...To me it just seems like they didn't really leave a wide opening for her potential survival...but if that is the case, I wonder how they will top the badassedness they accomplished with J...