• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think it ethical to sell Pokémon?

WaterTypeStarter

I mean in real life. I have been finding stories of people selling like shiny Pokémon or even rare Pokémon among other things. And I think there are others but what do you think? I personally would not spend money on data that I might not be able to keep forever and I never would have imagined such a thing would be sold until I started hearing stories of such online.

Last edited:

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
As long as it's a legit mon and not a hack. Why not? If someone is willing to part with real money.....reward you for your effort....

Decades ago I used to play a game called Ultima Online. I had a big presence on one of the major shards. My character was a Legendary level Animal Tamer, Mage, Ranger. I used to catch dragons, train them to maximum levels and sell them. I sold for real money on eBay and sold for game gold at the Bank. (Gathering point in town) I also sold game gold on ebay as well.

Used to be a huge market on eBay for UO stuff. I actually saw a castle sell for $1700.00!! Seriously, someone paid $1700 real US for some pixels. I had a Large Tower just outside town and was offered $750 for it once.

Those days are looooong gone now. Sure was alot of fun though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've seen some eBay auctions where people sell event distribution codes, as well as Shiny Pokemon and Legendary Pokemon, but I personally think it's wrong for players to monetize game data.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
As long as the two parties are content with the purchase, I don’t see an issue. I won’t tell someone how to spend their money. Personally I would never pay money for a Pokémon since I’m not that dedicated to the series to the point where I’d spend money on anything besides the games and maybe its DLC.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
If it's a legit pokémon and if the price isn't "mercenary" I don't see why not. It's just data but then... A lot of things nowdays are data. You can buy music on iTunes officially. Yet that music is still data as well.

Either way, I'd say it'd be less "paying for data" and more like "paying for a service". Like someone saving you the trouble of breeding x pokémon.

As for the selling of event codes, honestly, I've bought some. Mostly because I had no other option since in-store events no longer happen in my country and GF has a fetiche with those things. Also, the prices tended to be cheap. Some sold codes for 1 dollar which is managable. And honestly, even if there were still in-store events where I live, paying that dollar would be cheaper than having to buy a two bus tickets (one to go and one to come back) or pay for parking (if I went with my car).

Honestly, I was going to buy a Zarude code but luckily a good friend from another board donated me a spare.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I suppose that's a fair point: I won't tell people how to spend their money either, but I think that paying for data offered by third parties sounds like a bit of a rip-off.
I do too but at the end of the day that’s up to each person’s idea on what’s considered worthwhile

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
LOL...how things don't change. The EXACT same argument 20 years ago on UO Stratics.....

Stuff is too expensive
Shouldn't be allowed to do it
It's just data
It's not real
Hey, it's my money...
It's not against the rules
I provide a service
I'd never do it
I do it all the time
You didn't earn it you bought it
I have 3 others I wanted "that" one
You guys are scum
Thanks so much for my XXX!
Do you have a ...?
Sure saved me some time
You guys drive up the in-game prices
I thought I'd never get one
Can you get another?

If you can sell it and someone is willing to part with their money.....

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I suppose that's a fair point: I won't tell people how to spend their money either, but I think that paying for data offered by third parties sounds like a bit of a rip-off.

I think that for some it's not as much about buying data but a service. Aka, having someone do the hardwork for you.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ethical? No. It's certainly legal, and I wouldn't do anything to stop people that want to buy or sell these things, but I wouldn't engage in this myself. Something just feels wrong about buying it when the game is meant to be a personalized adventure where you go out and explore and bond with the Pokemon yourself. Hard to explain why, it just feels wrong.

OwensJB

It's none of my business what people do with their money so I guess it doesn't really matter. I would never pay people to trade me a Pokemon or Pokemon code but if people want to give up their money for a quick thrill then be my guest.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Most multiplayer games make it clear in their ToS that you don't actually own any of the items you acquire in the game. This is why you can't sue them if they choose to ban you or remove items from your character/account, etc., despite the fact that you could argue that results in a loss of assets or value (I.E. theft). I'm not going to lie, I haven't read GameFreak's ToS but it doubtless includes some sort of similar clause. So at the end of the day, it's generally up to the individual gaming company who holds the ToS whether or not selling items and other assets from its game for real world money or an equivalent is allowed; most do not allow this.

This leads to a whole rabbit hole of problems and conundrums related to selling virtual items. For example, gold from certain popular MMOs such as RuneScape and World of Warcraft holds a higher value on the black market than an equivalent minimum wage job in Venezuela, resulting in a huge number of Venezuelan gold farmers in those games farming and selling gold as a literal job to put food on the table. I don't generally support this kind of thing, but when it's literally a better alternative than finding a job in your country, it becomes pretty difficult to blame them.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

I don't think it's morally wrong per say, but I do think it's a little sad that some players pay others to get certain Pokemon or items. I hate gacha style games and to me it feels like Pokemon has gotten to that point now only without Gamefreak or Nintendo's direct involvement. :[