1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Jessie, James and Meowth can work in Pokemon Adventures?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by shoz999, Oct 26, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Master of Disguise!

So as the title says, do you think Jessie, James and Meowth can work in the Pokemon Adventures manga?

Pretty much no... at least that's what I thought until I saw the Team Rocket training special where we see Jessie, James and Meowth meet for the first time lol. You see the big problem I originally thought with the anime Team Rocket trio was that they were just plain incompetent before I saw the episode, "Training Daze". You see there are a lot of characters in Pokemon Adventures who make questionable decisions, namely the Team Rocket Trio of the manga, Ken, Al and Harry. These characters do make incompetent decisions however the thing is they are not really incompetent characters. Ken, Al and Harry are actually overall competent trainers with very dangerously-level Pokemon and decent leadership skills but they aren't that smart that they hold lieutenant positions. Basically they are competent trainers who make incompetent decisions at times. It gives us a sense of plausibility that this Team Rocket Trio are definitely not to be underestimated but their own decisions at times can be their own downfall. This is different from the Team Rocket Trio of the anime in that... they are depicted as always being incompetent. It's actually their gag. The production crew behind the anime intended them to always be incompetent. It's also because of this that many casual viewers just generally think the anime Team Rocket trio are never competent. I was one of them until I saw the Training Daze episode where... wow! Jessie and James are actually competent Team Rocket members and I'm loving it! Why can't every episode featuring Team Rocket be like this! There is the Best Wishes seasons but I have yet to see it to form an opinion on that. Still it's because of this single episode that I realize, Jessie, James and Meowth can actually work somehow in the Pokemon Adventures manga. A Jessie, James and Meowth that can maintain a degree of competence, the critical decision making skills and other kinds of survival and planning skills without relying on mechs or gadgets at all from that single episode while also having a degree of overconfidence or perhaps gaps in their knowledge that leads to them making dumb decisions from time to time but not all the time. Not to mention seeing James and Jessie's artwork in the TCG makes me also realize the two can be a little intimidating next to their Weezing releasing toxic gas or an Arbok intimidating Pokemon. There is almost no progression for them in the anime so it would be interesting to see how they would be progressed as characters step-by-step, if given the opportunity, in the Pokemon Adventures manga. As for Meowth, honestly I'm not sure how that would be handled. With the Let's Go games coming up, I'm not even sure if GameFreak will even have a talking Meowth and if a Let's Go adaptation happens, it will probably use a non-talking Meowth. I suppose they could make Meowth "talk" by Yellow reading his mind lol which would actually might be an entertaining way to go.

With the Let's Go games coming up soon featuring Jessie, James and Meowth not seen in the games around 20 years, do you think Jessie, James and Meowth might appear in a theoretical Let's Go adaptation? Do you think Jessie, James and Meowth could work in Pokemon Adventures through some changes or do you think they can work in the manga the way they are in the anime? Or do you think they can't work at all in the manga? What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No. Pokespe's tone is completely different than the anime's. Characters like the TRio wouldn't work without changing them so much they might as well be different characters altogether.

And the Elite Trio already serve their roles essentially. We don't need another trio of bumblers.

shoz999 likes this.
  3. e9310103838

e9310103838 Well-Known Member

I think if Kusaka really wants to let them appear, then he would do it in that year. So I tend that they won’t appear.

We don't even know how PMSP will present LGPE to continue the "tradition" of this series. :rolleyes:

shoz999 likes this.
  4. shoz999

Yes, Adventures is different from the anime in terms of tone but the thing is Adventures also shares the anime's goofy light-hearted tones. And obvious for Jessie, James and Meowth to work in Adventures they'd have to change to a degree to fit the more mature world of Adventures and I think it can work.
    For example in one scenario, I can imagine the anime Team Rocket trio seeing Yellow's Pikachu boosted by Yellow's psychic powers and are amazed. They decide to steal it and successfully actually. They bring it to Ken, Al and Harry, their superiors and they ask the simple question, "What does it even do?". I've always thought if Kusaka did brought the anime Rocket trio over, he would pretty much show how somewhat ridiculous anime Team Rocket trio's goals are if given the opportunity and the thing is, the anime has admitted this already a few times lol. Here they fail to show what the seemingly all-powerful Pikachu that isn't boosted by Psychic powers can do in front of them and get kicked out of their office, being given a different assignment. I suppose for plot-reasons, they could chase Yellow or any of her friends because of her Pokedex because simply the Pokedex is one of the most important and limited tools of the Pokemon world. Why since Team Rocket already did that? Honestly don't know really know, plot-reasons. At this point it's just a theoretical plot device. Basically I'm saying that one change Kusaka would probably do is that the anime Team Rocket trio could chase one of the main characters by given an assignment that is far more important than some Pikachu and it actually makes sense. It could be a Pokedex, maybe Yellow's psychic powers, Blue's relations to Silver, Red's fighting capabilities. Or maybe for jokes sake, Kusaka would keep them the way they are by showing how "smart" the Team Rocket grunts are under Ken, Al and Harry. Seeing the grunts in USUM forming a wall was quite hysterically funny.

5. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

Jessie, James and Meowth can work if you know them well. Their appeal comes from the fact that they are outsiders, losers without a home save for Team Rocket. James comes from a rich family that tries to force him to marry an abusive fiancé. Jessie comes from a poor orphanage with a mother that went missing in search of Mew. And Meowth, well, just go watch "Go West, Young Meowth" for that.

The appeal for their voice actors (and a good chunk of their fanbase) was that they represent adults struggling in the real world. They may fail again and again, but they never give up. They are bad guys, but not bad guys.

As for their target, understand that whenever something serious is going on with the other villainous teams, they usually take a backseat. Their best villainy is when the protagonist is not doing shonen business and is simply doing a normal Pokémon journey.

shoz999 likes this.
  6. Gen82

Gen82 Active Member

If they act how they did during the early days of best wishes they would fit. They were competent back then.

shoz999 likes this.
  7. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

I'm not opposed if it's in the context of LGPE, buttttt....

You do know this will make the canon patrol come out, right?

And now, a one-act play...

"I want to have JJM in a LGPE arc in Adventures..."

*Lights and sirens playing the Pokémon Origins music*
    "GET ON THE GROUND, CANON MIXER!"
    *Points hate-on at people*
    "NO ASH KETCHUM! NO TRio! NO MIXING CANONS! DON'T RUIN MY *Insert canon here* BY MIXING *element disliked* INTO IT!"
    *It's just a reference...*
    "NONONONO!!!!"
    *Hits you with hate-on like a truncheon, nightstick or tonfa*
    "We're taking you to fandom jail, where those who don't agree with our POV are thrown. You have the right to agree with us. You have the right to us abusing reports to mods to enforce our opinions. Anything you say counter to us will be used against you in the court of public opinion...."

shoz999 likes this.
  8. shoz999

LOL. Reminds me of some other gaming communities loyal persistence.

9. Redstar45

Redstar45 A champion of kind heart !

I don't think that i don't really care about so-called canon police about pokespe shouldn't mix with elements of Pokemon anime universe.....and didn't frlg is know as PokéAni : the reference arc to some fans ?

10. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

I wouldn't be opposed to Jessie, James and Meowth appearing. Anime exclusive characters appearing in the manga doesnt really bother me since those characters could totally exist in any canon. I think it would be cool to see more of Jessie's backstory and her mother in a serious sense, not just a one-off gag about her eating snow as a young orphan here and there.

11. Gamzee Makara

So you do care?

And yes, some reactionary "fans" shut down entire conversations via report abuse and hive-mindedness about canon segregation being the only way, mostly due to their childhood was ruined .jpeg or some other irrational reason.

As long as it's executed well, their appearance isn't ruining anybody's anything, past, present or future.

12. Redstar45

Ehh not really as i have learned that i should enjoy the story but to be honest...... i did use to be reactionary fan that doesn't really wanted Pokemon special manga touch my Pokemon anime and same thing can be said for me about Pokémon special as well but i got outgrow it with a few years

13. Gamzee Makara

Then you're a better person than some people I've seen.

Redstar45 likes this.
  14. Redstar45

Yeah i am agree with that

oh why thank you sir.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018 at 6:18 AM