• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think pokemon are looking less and less like pokemon?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Well I do tbh. I think that Gamefreak are running out of ideas for new pokemon

If they were running out of ideas, there wouldn't be new Pokémon. An idea is the inspiration to make something; how many times have they previously used the idea of a parabola-themed electric lizard? Or a fighting panda that likes to taunt people? Or a red, Y-shaped condor? Or a grass-armored hedgehog?

Some of the new pokemon too, either look like rehashes of previous ones

That was largely the point of Gen V; to parallel Gen I and the layout of its region without using any old Pokémon because Unova is far away from the old regions. In order to do that, they had the have "niche-fillers," which makes perfectly logical sense because America doesn't have the same kinds of birds or bugs as other countries, but it still has birds and bugs.

Last edited:

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
I feel like each new generation is looking a lot different from the first gen pokemon.

Not that that's a bad thing. Some of the 1st gen designs were lazy. A blob of goop that evolves into a bigger ball of goop?

Giratina ally

2013 SF #401
Not that that's a bad thing. Some of the 1st gen designs were lazy. A blob of goop that evolves into a bigger ball of goop?

I agree. Every region has its unoriginal design, but each generation has also brought about its own plethora of great Pokemon, new mechanics, and a fascinating storyline.

At this point, the above is what we come to expect of Pokemon games; new Pokemon, mechanics, stories, areas, and moves. As long as they work well and attract fans both old and new, who are we to criticize?

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Other than art style, there isn't too much that hold any existing Pokemon to "looking like a Pokemon." Visually, Pokemon are an incredibly diverse species which is why Gen V Pokemon and Gen I Pokemon have very distinct differences in appearance. So no, the new Pokemon aren't "looking less like they should," they are simply more diverse.

EDIT: Rank up!

Last edited:

Dreamy

I don't really feel that way. You have your "cartoony" style Pokemon, the ones that are more rounded and not that realistic, and then you have the more realistic ones like Gogoat and Rapidash. I think they are doing a great job, they have to keep up with the styles of the time to reach a broader audience.

xDWarrior

No, Pokemon still look like Pokemon. Just the original design scheme has changed. There's NOTHING wrong with that though.

Mister_SGG

Title of thread implies that Pokemon are all supposed to look a certain way, which they are not.
First post implies that Pokemon need to be similar/identical to Gen I Pokemon, which they do not.

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
No, because of everything looked like Gen I, it'd be boring. Bold but wonderful designs like Zekrom and Reshiram would look off if they had to look Gen 1-ish.

And as many have said, a Pokemon cannot not look like a Pokemon. If GF decides to cut off my finger, paint it blue and give it an eyeball and made it a Pokemon, BlueMidnightFennekinFingerWithEye would be a legit Pokemon.

Ti4558

I've kind of warmed up to the new pokemon now and am kind of excited about the game expecially since the region is based in france and conquencidentaly I'm study French in school.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Unfortunately, yes. I hate to use this argument, but the newest Pokemon look more like Digimon than Pokemon imo. I mean just look at Helioptile. It looks like something from the first Digimon anime. Its design is too simplistic for the Pokemon franchise in my opinion. I expect better of Gamefreak. :(

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
Some Pokemon, but not all of them. The Pokemon this Gen (so far) look pretty normal. But some scattered around the Gens look a little like Digimon. Larvesta and Volcorona are examples of that.
This isn't really a bad thing, it's just a change.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Unfortunately, yes. I hate to use this argument, but the newest Pokemon look more like Digimon than Pokemon imo. I mean just look at Helioptile. It looks like something from the first Digimon anime. Its design is too simplistic for the Pokemon franchise in my opinion. I expect better of Gamefreak. :(

Because Ditto and Pidgey have the most complex designs ever conceived.

diakyu

People who say some Pokemon look like digimon have no idea what they are talking about. Being a fan of both mon series it's quite obvious that digimon designs are very gritty and complex. And are usually covers in muscles/weapons/other obnoxious objects.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
A Pokemon is a Pokemon, so it looks like a Pokemon. Some Pokemon look like some Digimon because they're based on the same thing, but Pokemon still look like Pokemon to me. Some designs aren't as simple anymore, but that's not really a bad thing.

Last edited:

Mr.FusRoDah

If they were running out of ideas, there wouldn't be new Pokémon. An idea is the inspiration to make something; how many times have they previously used the idea of a parabola-themed electric lizard? Or a fighting panda that likes to taunt people? Or a red, Y-shaped condor? Or a grass-armored hedgehog?

That was largely the point of Gen V; to parallel Gen I and the layout of its region without using any old Pokémon because Unova is far away from the old regions. In order to do that, they had the have "niche-fillers," which makes perfectly logical sense because America doesn't have the same kinds of birds or bugs as other countries, but it still has birds and bugs.

This is so true, you can't expect Monarch butterflies to be found in Japan naturally, likewise you can't expect Gen 1 species to be native to Unova, yet there is always niche fillers in the real world, likewise there is such in Pokemon. Roggenrola is the filler of Geodude's niche, Trubbish takes the role as Unova's toxic waste by-product, which in the world of Pokemon toxic waste can result in hazardous lifeforms, in which in Unova instead of manifesting itself as a pile of X-ray animated sludge or a floating naval mine bio-weapon, it developed in the trash dumps, inside the trash bags, and now they all have trash bag guises as skin. Emolga takes the role as native electric rodent, which can be seen in every other region, and Basculin takes the role of both Magikarp and Gyrados. Honestly, I like this flirtation with real world biology, and I wish Genwunners could see it this way, as a symphony of science, in a sci-fi anime world.

Shadow XD001

First post implies that Pokemon need to be similar/identical to Gen I Pokemon, which they do not.
Ironically, people say that 5th Generation Pokémon suck because they are like the 1st Generation (not exact copies, but hopefully you get what I'm saying). When they look to different, people don't like them.

There's no clear definition of what a Pokémon is supposed to look like and most look fine. OMG ice cream pokemon soooo unoriginal11!!!!11

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
People who say some Pokemon look like digimon have no idea what they are talking about. Being a fan of both mon series it's quite obvious that digimon designs are very gritty and complex. And are usually covers in muscles/weapons/other obnoxious objects.

Exactly. There are some Pokémon with vague similarities to Digimon and vice-versa, but the styles are completely different.