• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think pokemon are looking less and less like pokemon?

McNugget

The Bassist
I assume you're comparing the new pokémon to Generation 1 pokémon? If so then I would have to disagree... From what I've seen Generation 6 actually appears to resemble Generation 1 more than Generation 5.

ayeeprill

Shorts Boy- my hero!
Me personally, I feel like a particular generation of Pokemon work with that particular generation. While it would be hard for me to picture most Unova Pokemon in Kanto, the Unova Pokemon work for Unova. I couldn't picture most Hoenn Pokemon in Unova, but the Hoenn Pokemon work for Hoenn.

I think every region has their own "style" of Pokemon. There's always a few that could really fit in in any generation (say the Sandile line from Unova, who I could totally see not looking out of place in most regions) but I think every region's Pokemon fit the region.

Inferno Vulpix

Despicably Average
That is a logical error, as a Pokemon cannot not look like a Pokemon, since a Pokemon is a Pokemon and to say a Pokemon doesn't look like a Pokemon is akin to saying water doesn't feel like water or grass doesn't look like grass.

Ignoring this, it still should be mentioned that a Pokemon is defined by Ken Sugimori, and he could say that a Cthulhu lookalike is a Pokemon and no one could argue him.

Ignoring that too, I agree that design complexity has changed between generations, but not because the design standards change, but because complexity limits change. Gen I gave us more simplistic Pokemon because the games couldn't handle complex ones. Nowadays we have higher quality sprites and we're even now moving into models. Game Freak can do whatever they want now in regards to complexity, and they're exercising that right to the fullest. I for one see no problem with something like that.

tomon

tbh, i think they're getting more... cutesy, than some of the previous generations, and i don't think it has much to do with complexity either.

AdamSe7en

Veteran
I wouldn't say they look less like Pokemon since they ARE Pokemon. Whose to say what they are supposed to look like? I will say they are definitely less detailed than they were in the first and second generation though.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
It is true that I've been less and less fond of the pokemon of newer generations, though it's hard to really pinpoint why. I've been a fan since Gen 1 but didn't start playing until Gen 2. For that reason, I have no problem with the first two Gens. Gen 3 is about 50/50 on designs I like and dislike, Gen 4 is about 25% that I actually like, and in Gen 5 Reuniclus is the only one I like.

I think part of it is the level of detail on newer pokemon. The earlier gens were simple designs and simple colors, while newer generations (Emboar for example) include more patterns and color mixes.

karczx

I don't know, they have always been the same to me. I mean if you can't enjoy all the Pokemon, I don't understand that how people can be true fans. Pokemon will always be Pokemon, no matter how they look like.

diakyu

tbh, i think they're getting more... cutesy, than some of the previous generations, and i don't think it has much to do with complexity either.
They really are not getting cuter. Most cute pokemon are only stage one Pokemon. Stage one pokemon have always been the cutesy ones.

I will say this, people are right when they say the new pokemon look more complex. But this is due to the fact that we have much better hardware than what we had when Pokemon red and Blue were released. Pokemon designs evolve with the hardware they're on.

But it's hard to say a Pokemon doesn't look like a Pokemon. After all we don't know what a pokemon is like when it comes to design.

BunniBear4

Pokémon Trainer
The only time I find somethingto not look like a Pokemon would be with fan art, and even then it's only because they look more like digimon. I feel as if what keeps Pokemon looklikg like Pokemon for me is Sugimori still drawing each one and me being able to recognize the art style if that makes any sense.

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
The newest Pokemon have honestly looked the most like Pokemon since G3 in my opinion, but doesn't mean I hated the G4 or G5 designs. I think G6 has something great in store for us and we can't really judge them since only like 10 have been announced.

Also some guy mentioned earlier that the Pokemon designed for their region suit them. That's a good point actually. For example, Unova is based off of "New York and friends" (wat?) and lots of people b*tched about Trubbish and Vanilite when you would obviously expect to find garbage and ice cream in a city, wouldn't you? And G1-4 have been based off of Japan and tons of Pokemon in those have been based off of Japanese/Chinese mythology, and everything else is actually in those countries.

parasky

Saying that a Pokemon doesn't look like a Pokemon is one of the dumbest phases in the fanbase, up there with genwunner.

I will say that some Pokemon may have designs that are complex, and while there have been a few Pokemon ruined with complex designs (a phenomenon I like to call 'overdesigning'), I find that having complex Pokemon designs helps keeps the art style fresh, the creation trio being a good example of this due to their mineral motif.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Me personally, I feel like a particular generation of Pokemon work with that particular generation. While it would be hard for me to picture most Unova Pokemon in Kanto, the Unova Pokemon work for Unova. I couldn't picture most Hoenn Pokemon in Unova, but the Hoenn Pokemon work for Hoenn.

I think every region has their own "style" of Pokemon. There's always a few that could really fit in in any generation (say the Sandile line from Unova, who I could totally see not looking out of place in most regions) but I think every region's Pokemon fit the region.

This. All of this. Hoenn's pokemon fit a more "cutesy" mold, on the whole having softer edges and being more vibrantly colored than other gens. Sinnoh was largely the opposite, having a lot of rugged-looking pokemon introduced. Gen V had a lot of "remastered" pokemon, i.e. that they looked like and served similar functions to a lot of Gen I pokemon, though they were updated to a different kind of art style, one that the series had grown into over time.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Yes, I think so. Look at Keldeo, for example. That thing looks more like a my little pony character than a pokemon.

No it doesn't. Keldeo is drawn with a completely different artstyle from that of an MLP character (as Keldeo's design has more realistic shading, edges, and proportions), and beyond that, all you can compare them with is the fact that they're both young equines, which is a tenuous connection at best.

Last edited:

Starkrai

Darkrai's Advocate
Are you for real? Pray tell what does a Pokemon actually define into as a general term? And anyway you should just be happy that there are still Pokemon coming out id bet my life on you'd ***** and moan if they stopped making them.
Edit: sorry for swearing but the pure idiocy of this question is actually hurting my Brain trying to comprehend it.

Last edited:

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
Well I do tbh. I think that Gamefreak are running out of ideas for new pokemon, how to draw in more fans and how to top previous games. Some of the new pokemon too, either look like rehashes of previous ones, or just have poor designs.

*Awaits to be flammed :D*