1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think regression is coming?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by SinnohEevee, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Do you think regression is coming?

1. Yes

24.1%
  2. No

34.5%
  3. I don't know

41.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SinnohEevee

SinnohEevee Well-Known Member

I believe Ash will get regressed in Gen VIII or IX. The executives don't want him to win because they seem to believe that would be the end of the show (or probably just want to make it easier for him to travel to another region). Since Ash ended up runner-up in Kalos, his rank can't progress any further, so he will have to be regressed. The executives seem to believe making him win will make them lose a lot of money, but him getting regressed won't affect the show much, it will still be doing tons of money. So given their mentality, the executives will push the "Regression" button. By the time Gen VIII comes, most of those who watched Best Wishes will be outside the target audience.
    Yes, the whole show is available online, but who's going to watch it from the beginning with its 1000+ episodes?

So, do you believe regression is coming or you think I am being too pessimistic.

2. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

There was a lot of flak towards BW for the stupid regression, and a lot of flak towards the Kalos League for the loss to Alain. The showmakers hopefully have realized by now they can't just 'reset' Ash after his progress from OS->DP/XY, considering they still made him a competent battler in SM despite his personality shifts matching the series tonality. I think more likely than a reset/regression, Ash will continue looking good while his character changes based on the type of series they want to depict.

Another regression should kill the show for all I care because it's just insulting to show that little loyalty to your protagonist, as well as to the fandom. I don't think it'll happen.

That being said, I think SM/Gen 8, whichever has the next league, is the breaking point. Ash reached all stages of the league after XY. He has the skills, and the reserves. He won the BF before. There is no more excuses other than they just want to keep dragging out an iconic character (who should finally be given the chance to succeed) because they don't want to wipe the slate clean.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. Power Up

Power Up Huh...

Agree with Navin here, another reset would effectively kill the Pokemon Anime franchise for good. For me at least.

I'm still hoping Gen 8, they make an anime where the primary purpose is to develop Ash in a new way and take on a more traditional anime style, not to just promote the games. Heck scratch Ash if you have to, but make an anime that runs along side Ash's journey specifically for older fans

4. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Isn't there supposed to be a league eventually in SM? We won't have to wait till Gen 8 to see if Ash will get the reset button or not.

5. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Whoa looking cool

No, in fact, I'm going to sound optimistic (for some reason) and say that gen VIII will be Ash's swansong season. Now obviously SM seems like a vacation for Ash, and would be a terrible season to conclude his story, so I'm sure Ash will be around for gen VIII. As stated by Navin, BW got a lot of flack for reseting Ash, and I don't think they'll take that risk again.

Furthermore, he's won the Battle Frontier, and by being a runner up in Kalos, he easily has the skills now to win a league. There have also been rumors that gen VIII will be Kanto games, so what better way to end Ash's journey than by making him win a league where it all started.

Of course, this could just be me being optimistic, and for all you know like you're suggesting, they could reset Ash. Of course, that would effectively kill the anime for good for me, much like for Power Up, Navin and many others.

6. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

If he regresses in SM then sure because frankly he's steamrolling his way through Alola.

Unless they bring back heavy hitters like Alain, Paul, Gary etc etc because there is a new league to conquer. So he actually works for his league position.

Basically if he regresses he better have some strong af opponents to lose to.

7. SH65

SH65 Well-Known Member

If they do then i'll going to stick with the games and fanfiction.

8. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Very sleepy...zzz...

Maybe. They don't have to regress him though, I mean he can place lower in a league but that doesn't mean that he regressed; more like the competition got tougher.

9. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist OS>SM/XY>BW>AG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DP

There is one other option. Have it be a tie for first before outright victory. Though Nintendo did say that the Switch Pokemon games would be different so who knows?

10. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja XY/XY(Z): GOAT saga in the Pokemon anime

Why though? He made it to the Top 2 last time, down to the last Pokemon in the last battle, it was a matter of whether Ash-Greninja or Mega Charizard X fell after the explosion. The only logical progression I can see this time is winning.

11. Satomine Night

Satomine Night The Power of Z!

I'm on board with those who think BW was a one-off; and given the fan backlash over Ash being regressed in that series, I would like to have faith that the anime staff won't make the mistake of regressing Ash like that again.

Ash doesn't have to be regressed in order to place lower in a league. His competition just has to be tougher. He may have placed second in the Kalos League, but aside from Sawyer and Alain, his competition did not appear to be that challenging; he pretty much steamrolled his way to the semifinals.

Ash may be progressing steadily as a Trainer (aside from BW, of course), but he has one disadvantage that the writers could take advantage of to justify his not placing as high in a league: He always enters the league with the team of Pokémon with which he traveled through a region. Thus, his Pokémon are never as experienced as he is. Sure, his experience as a Trainer can and should be able to make up for most of his Pokémon's lack of experience, but one can argue it can't make up for all of his Pokémon's lack of experience.

12. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen Well-Known Member

Really, most of the problems of the anime are generated by overcompensating for the original problem

Ash is too bland and we're getting tired of an eon-long story - reset him to give him a semi-fresh start
    Ash is too idiotic and underpowered - make him a preachy Black Hole Sue
    Ash is too much of a preachy Black Hole Sue with a personality of a brick who lost to Alain - make him the most expressive member with probably the cleanest battle record compared to other sagas

13. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

SM does treat things a bit more carefully in the sense it remembered the mistakes not just from last series but the series before, making him more comedic and expressive, but remembering to keep him competent, often winning while still looking fallible about it to some degree, not to mention using the convenient introduction of new challenges and concepts to better excuse and balance his naiveté or inexperience.

That is at least a suggestion that the writers are learning from their mistakes through trial and error in some areas, rather than constantly shifting back and forth between one extreme or the other like they do some other elements.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. I-am-the-peel

I-am-the-peel Justice Forever

I don't think Ash as a trainer will necessarily be 'regressed' - I agree with the majority here that Best Wishes seems to have just been a 'one-off' in terms of how poorly he acted as a trainer back then - but I think in future Pokemon Leagues after Alola Ash won't fare as well as the Final Two. I think later sagas will be written well enough for Ash to lose on high notes to worthy trainers in the Top Eight or Top Four, but Top Two seems to have been a one off and probably won't happen ever again until perhaps Gen 10 at earliest.

15. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Anything less than top two is a regression, don't care if the trainer has a freaking Zeraora and Marshadow on his team, if Ash loses before placing in the top two, it is a regression simple as that.
    They can easily just let him win the Alola League and go on to lose to the one Elite Four member he never faced, Kahili.
    It'd be nice to let Ash move on to facing the Elite Four each region and eventually able to take out a Champion, it'd give the Elite Four a more meaning full appearance like back in DP rather than Siebold, Drake, Lorelei, Bruno, Caitlin appearing just cuz. And it'd stop some Elite Four members from not making the cut.... poor Grimsley.

16. DuquÊ?

DuquÊ? Hyper cast-off!!!

Eh, I just stopped to care. If there is an Alola League in the front, I can see it like a local thing, basically a knock off league Kukui put together as a first try, barely a school tournament (maybe with Royal Mask as the champion/last oponent). It can be as be as big as a normal league conference, but, considering Alola doesn't necessarily treats these things as serious competitions, I can't see why I should.

But, anyway... top 2 or top 4 at most. Not expecting Kahili or Acerola appear as E4, but aleatory challengers. I wouldn't mind one of them is the main league rival, but most probably will be Hau or Gladion.

17. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja Master of Ninjutsu

I think after SM they'll try to make another DP/XY level of serious series, so I expect his skills to not get resetted at all but maybe to introduce stronger than usual characters, rivals etc.

I hope so. I want Ash to go full out in Gen 8 and win the league with all his reserves.

18. XY Rules

XY Rules Pokemon Master

He’s already regressed in personality and characterization going back to being the bland one-dimensional idiot he was in the original series...So until they fixed that major mistake and learn from it, he’ll probably keep regressing in skill and competence as well.

19. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

Regression is inevitable. Pokémon isn't exactly meant to be followed by children until they turn into adults and then some. Do I think the regression will be like BW? No probably not but they'll eventually throw a new bucket of paint on Ash to make him "newer" whenever they feel the current fans age out.

Because he was so full of personality in the last saga.

20. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja XY/XY(Z): GOAT saga in the Pokemon anime

I disagree. Rica Matsumoto will retire at some point and then they will have to inevitably replace Ash. Japan is very strict regarding VA's.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.