• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think Riko and Sprigatito will become popular, if not iconic at some point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
For Rico, I think her chances of becoming iconic in one fashion or another would be greatly increased if she does, in fact, turn out to be Ash's daughter. I also think the amount of time she stays will be determined by whether or not she is related to Ash or not. If not, I can easily see her being replaced in Gen 10 if she's not Ash-levels of popular, which would be less likely if she's not Ash's daughter or related to him in some other familial way. If she is Ash's daughter, though, I can see her staying for quite a while, and her popularity would likely be greater as well, as long as the Pokémon writers make her at least somewhat likable, which should not be too difficult.

Last edited:

PaperCutVictim

I'm skeptical of her reaching that status, just because that's an immensely high bar. Love them or hate them, you have to be blind to deny just how iconic Ash and Pikachu are. You wouldn't call a new DC hero a failure because they weren't instantly as iconic as Batman, would you?

That said, I'm always open to being surprised.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Definitely never reaching Ash's levels
And they shouldn't try to either
Ash is Ash, replicating him will only lead to a cheap knockoff
Have Riko be her own thing
And yes, coz her starter seems to be Spirigatito, I do think she's only here for Gen 9 too, and I'd prefer that
We don't need another sticking for 25 years Ash, a protagonist with a 3 year story is enough

Broseph08

Agree with everyone who thinks she and Roy will only be around for this gen. The fact that their starters are the Gen 9 starters says it all. If the goal was to try and keep them around for multiple gens, they'd give them something like Pikachu or Eevee to have something that isn't tied to the current gen. The protagonist of Gen 10 anime will likely have one of those starters and so on

Flashyspark

Absolutely not or at least not anywhere near as popular as Ash and Pikachu were. Any time an iconic anime character gets an expy replacement in an anime sequel they're always less popular than the original character, and Riko will be no exception even with a cute Sprigatito.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
It depends on how they are written in the show. If written well she and her Pokemon will become popular and garner a sizeable fanbase like any character. Will she reach Ash level iconic? No, it's not possible and as others have said that should not be the goal. Ash is romanticized now because he's leaving, but before that he had become a pretty divisive character. No character should reach that level of stagnation just to be "iconic".

If Riko is her own thing with a likeable story, character, Pokemon, and supporting cast then she'll be just fine even without the 25+ years.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Logically, it should be easy to top Ash because the kid never really grew as a character but (illogically) as a trainer. He has no real backstory, he has behaved very much the same since he started out (though one could argue that he got more stupid), and he has ignored becoming mature at all (then again, he's forever 10). Really, people only like him because he's their childhood character, but once it comes down to explaining why beyond that, it's surely an empty void.

(The same goes to Goku from DB, the guy who now regularly endangers his planet for the sake of a good fight. Kind of a toxic relationship, if you ask me.)

keepitsimple

site of lies
The kids who will start watching at SV will obviously care more about her than Ash and she'll be iconic to them.

It's possible she does but we actually don't want that because we don't need an excuse to slow down her journey and keep her around for two decades.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The kids who will start watching at SV will obviously care more about her than Ash and she'll be iconic to them.

It's possible she does but we actually don't want that because we don't need an excuse to slow down her journey and keep her around for two decades.
This. I don't want her losing leagues and getting BW reset like Ash lol

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
Depends on their personalities. Roy's design and facial expression give me some Cameron vibes which means he could either be hilarious like Ash in the early anime or a scrappy just like Goh. It all depends on the execution.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Even if she were to receive better development than Satoshi [Ash], I doubt she'll become anywhere near as popular as him unless she remains as the main character in her respective series for over 20 years like Satoshi did.

Also, I feel that bringing up the amount of fanart that she's gotten thus far is a bit meaningless since every cute female anime character and bishonen-looking character goes through the same thing. So it doesn't quite set Liko apart.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Idk maybe the fact Ash best exemplifies the Franchise's message of being a good Pokemon trainer forming bonds with Pokemon and actually caring for them rather than being a badass stoic no personality trainer like Red who's only trait and claim to fame was being strong (and even that was severely outclassed by Ash surpassing him in the most hilarious way) has something to do with it and his popularity esp during PokeMania

Flanderizations and inconsistent portrayal later on doesn't change that, esp when many still love many of those versions of Ash.
There's a reason those who haven't enjoyed SM and JN loved Ash still in the Distant Blue sky coz even if they don't agree with some characteristics of him there is love for the character and who he is. His biggest criticism was not developing or growing along with inconsistent portrayal, but by JN there seems to be a streamlined version of Ash that even Pokemon Masters accepts, he actually developed in some ways and hopefully has a meaningful conclusion and introspection in the epilogue

Gingertail24

Unpopular, but honestly I believe liko can become just as iconic as Ash. But it's gonna take a very VERY long time. So much time that I believe it's honestly not worth it and as other said, don't try to make her Ash, make her liko and Roy .

Sprigatito? No. Pikachu is the face of the entire franchise for ages. People who don't know diddly about Pokemon know who Pikachu is. He is iconic character, outside of his franchise. Which is extremely hard to do

Status
Not open for further replies.