• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think SM/USUM will keep the 3DS valued past 2019?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Depends on how long Alola games online systems will stay up and how long they'll be producing them. Pokémon games tend to rise in price the longer it has been since production stopped. You can see that nowadays with ORAS often being more expensive than USUM, ORAS is not far from exceeding Let's Go Pikachu in price here, and the gen 4 games being well over twice as expensive as any 3DS game. Once USUM grows to 100€ in pricetag without any online support it won't be nearly as good of a buy as it was at release.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
To an extent yes. If the online servers aren’t quickly shut down like what happened to the DS games as soon as SwSh come out, people will still be trading and battling online for a few more years. RBY And GS extended the original GB by about four years and the GBC two years after the GBA was released. Gen III extended the GBA lifespan by three years. The DS games would have made the system’s lifespan much longer had the servers not been shut down a year and a half after BW2 were released and about another year before XY were released. That hurt those games so much as the biggest things to do post game were trading and battling online.

Venomshock

Since USUM are the most complete pair of games in the sense that you can get the most Pokemon, then yeah I definitely think that they'll still be popular even when those two abominations known as Shield/Sword are released.

keithpetrosky

I’ve got all my competitive, shiny, and special ball mons saved on it, I will be saving everything for as long as it works hoping the future allows them to go into new games. I do trading and breeding constantly.
Plus pokebank what will happen to that?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Bank will stay online for at least a little while, because pokémon will transfer through Bank to Home for the future games, and Bank will remain the only way to transfer pokémon from virtual consoles and other older generation games into Alola games. That said, they might announce them taking down Bank sometime during 2020 once Home is online for a while, saying something like "transfer everything to Home that you don't want to lose within the next two months". They also might not. We don't really know.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I think it will help keep the system alive.

The DS games where still selling fine for a few years after the 3DS launched. The biggest killer for a Pokémon fan was indeed online support being turned off less than two full years after the last big game released. Mind you I think that was more down to a partner withdrawing support to games you can't patch. I saw several Boxes of BW/BW2 with a online support discontinued sticker on it. I read that DS games in 2013 were still profitable.

I don't think the hardware will drop in price like DSes and GBA did before hand, as the "replacement" lacks Backwards compatibility.

Sony is still supporting the PS3 for at least some games and some online services, despite most other services have pulled their support.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
most likely not in my opinion.

While pokemon bank to home is a good way to xfer over some of your favorites, pretty much anything rare you can get in US/UM you can also aquire in sw/sh and with the pokedex cut that makes US/UM even less relevant.

Outside of event pokemon pokemon from gen 6/7 there isn't really anything you can get in gen 7 that you can't get in gen 8 so the relevance in the future seems to me small.

Ariki

I think S/M and USUM will keep the 3DS going for a few more years as the art style used in Gen 7 is similar to gen 8. While the quality of the graphics don't match, they haven't dated...