• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think that LGPE is an underrated Pokemon game?

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I feel like LGPE is an underrated Pokemon game. I think it is one of the best Pokemon games we've had. The main reason why I praise LGPE so highly is because I feel like there is more attention to detail put in LGPE compared to any other Pokemon game I've played. It's just filled to the brim with lovely details and easter eggs waiting to be discovered.

What's your opinion?

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yes, but they still aren't really my favorite titles either.

I loved the Alolan trades though.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
No, the criticism is justified. Simplistic and casual is the exact opposite of what a $60 Switch game should be like. There should be much, much more to do than what LGPE offered and it should feel like a step forward instead of a step backwards. Details and Easter Eggs are fine, but they don't drive the content. Other factors such as the number of Pokemon, the size and design of the areas, the storyline, and the extra content are much more important, and LGPE is sorely lacking in all of those areas.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I had fun playing these games, and it also brought back my love for many gen 1 Pokemon. Since I barely used gen 1 Pokemon in the recent generations.

But for me it was a game to play for one time.. for now atleast

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
No, the criticism is justified. Simplistic and casual is the exact opposite of what a $60 Switch game should be like. There should be much, much more to do than what LGPE offered and it should feel like a step forward instead of a step backwards. Details and Easter Eggs are fine, but they don't drive the content. Other factors such as the number of Pokemon, the size and design of the areas, the storyline, and the extra content are much more important, and LGPE is sorely lacking in all of those areas.
This is pretty much how I feel about it. It's not a terrible game by itself, but when you put its price point into perspective it really comes up lacking compared to other things you could have spent that $60 on. I would struggle to justify spending half that much on it, and definitely wouldn't cough up the full $60 for it. Luckily I have a friend who lent me a copy for a playthrough.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
The thing is, I don't agree with the premise that "LGPE is empty and content lacking". Quite the opposite: I would say that LGPE has almost as much content as most modern Pokemon games. LGPE has:

Catching/Combo chaining minigame
Pokemon League rematches
Gym Leader rematches
Red, Green, Mina rematches
Master Trainers rematches
Pokemon following you
Pokemon Riding
Trainer Customization
Partner Pokemon Customization
Playing with Partner Pokemon
Go Park Play Yard herding game
Etc

I would say that, in general, that's almost the same amount of content that we see in most modern Pokemon games. I don't think LGPE is any more content lacking or simplistic than your average Pokemon game. I think that's just the Pokemon Go stigma.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I thought that they were okay and I did appreciate the new way to catch Pokémon but they did become dull after awhile especially in the post game.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
To me the games leave a lot to be desired. They are a remake of Yellow which is a re-telling of Red/Blue which was remade into FR/LG and then released as VC games just a year or two prior. A lot of us have already played the Kanto story multiple times already. The catching process is not all that fun since I cannot weaken or paralyze/sleep the wild Pokémon and catch them in a way that I was accustomed to the prior 20+ years. The super fun (to me, at least) Safari Zone experience was removed in favor of a Pokémon Go transfer area where I have to catch a Pokémon that I have already caught! Abilities and held items were also removed as well as EVs making the experience unique, yet frustrating. Overall, the game has little replay value compared to other core series titles. The game doesn’t suck but it really isn’t all that great, either. I give the game a C-

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Catching/Combo chaining minigame

Thing is that this comes at the cost of traditional wild battling and removes most of the skill of battling in favor of waggle gimmicks. And every modern game has a capture chaining mechanic of some sorts.

Pokemon League rematches

Again, a standard feature in just about every game.

Gym Leader rematches

There's a few games that don't, but this is pretty common too.

Red, Green, Mina rematches

Again, nearly every game has some kind of rematch against prominent trainers.

Master Trainers rematches

This is one of the few things I would say would count as "extra content", but it's really just a series of random trainers. Nothing much to it, no additional quests or story, no gameplay extras, etc., it's just a series of trainers.

Pokemon following you
Pokemon Riding
Trainer Customization
Partner Pokemon Customization

I wouldn't really consider this "content" because there's nothing to really engage with and complete, it's just an option. I would consider these features, not content.

Playing with Partner Pokemon

This has been a thing in every game since XY, and even then other games let you play with any Pokemon, not just your partner.

Go Park Play Yard herding game

It's a quick, cheap minigame that doesn't really add much to the game. And other games have done them before as well. Also this replaced the Safari Zone, which while it was irritating, it was at least something involved and different.

I would say that, in general, that's almost the same amount of content that we see in most modern Pokemon games. I don't think LGPE is any more content lacking or simplistic than your average Pokemon game. I think that's just the Pokemon Go stigma.

Not really, no. Other modern games have more than just what you citied above. Where are the involves side features like Contests and Secret Bases? Where are the Battle facilities like the Battle Frontier, PWT, or even a freaking Battle Tower? Where are the online modes like the PSS and Festival Plaza? Every other game for years has had something along those lines to keep players engaged, but LGPE doesn't have that.

But beyond that there are even more fundamental things missing that make it feel like a step back from every game EXCEPT the original RBY. They stick to the same 151 Pokemon (+2 event Pokemon which don't really add much) pretending like the last 20 years of new Pokemon don't exist when almost every other game has at least twice that much. They don't add any new areas or expand existing areas to make the game feel remotely sizable. There's little to no QoL features from other games (where are the regional gadgets?) or online modes to allow you to play with friends in multiple ways. There's nothing to do but catch the same pitiful variety of Pokemon over and over and battle a handful of trainers. And they think that is supposed to keep you engaged? That this is worth the same amount as masterpieces on the Switch such as BotW, Mario Odyssey, or Smash Ultimate? The notion that the two are even in the same league is utterly laughable. That's like a local playground thinking they could charge the same amount to enter their park as Disneyland.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Thing is that this comes at the cost of traditional wild battling and removes most of the skill of battling in favor of waggle gimmicks. And every modern game has a capture chaining mechanic of some sorts.
Traditional wild battles were just regular battles. They are not different in any way, shape or form from Trainer battles, which still exist in LGPE.
The catching minigame in LGPE on the other hand, is brand new content, and it is a lot more engaging than the traditional catching mechanic, because you need some level of skill to play it.
Again, a standard feature in just about every game.
I know, that's my point. It's a feature that Pokemon games have, and LGPE has it also.
There's a few games that don't, but this is pretty common
Same as above.
Again, nearly every game has some kind of rematch against prominent trainers.
Same as above.
This is one of the few things I would say would count as "extra content", but it's really just a series of random trainers. Nothing much to it, no additional quests or story, no gameplay extras, etc., it's just a series of trainers.
Master Trainers is great content actually, it's very challenging battles. And I have the feeling that you have never tried them for yourself.
I wouldn't really consider this "content" because there's nothing to really engage with and complete, it's just an option. I would consider these features, not content.
I do consider these things content, so I disagree with you.
This has been a thing in every game since XY, and even then other games let you play with any Pokemon, not just your partner
It's actually a lot more detailed in LGPE, precisely because they only focused on the Partner Pokemon. Sometimes less is more!
It's a quick, cheap minigame that doesn't really add much to the game. And other games have done them before as well. Also this replaced the Safari Zone, which while it was irritating, it was at least something involved and different.
Just because you don't like the minigame, that doesn't mean others feel the same way you do. Also, this minigame doesn't come at the cost of the Safari Zone game, because the LGPE capture mechanic is literally an expanded version of the Safari Zone game.
Not really, no. Other modern games have more than just what you citied above. Where are the involves side features like Contests and Secret Bases? Where are the Battle facilities like the Battle Frontier, PWT, or even a freaking Battle Tower? Where are the online modes like the PSS and Festival Plaza? Every other game for years has had something along those lines to keep players engaged, but LGPE doesn't have that.
Contests and Secret Bases haven't been part of any recent Pokemon game, other than remakes. They haven't been in games like SwSh, XY, SM, etc so my point stands.
But beyond that there are even more fundamental things missing that make it feel like a step back from every game EXCEPT the original RBY. They stick to the same 151 Pokemon (+2 event Pokemon which don't really add much) pretending like the last 20 years of new Pokemon don't exist when almost every other game has at least twice that much. They don't add any new areas or expand existing areas to make the game feel remotely sizable. There's little to no QoL features from other games (where are the regional gadgets?) or online modes to allow you to play with friends in multiple ways. There's nothing to do but catch the same pitiful variety of Pokemon over and over and battle a handful of trainers. And they think that is supposed to keep you engaged? That this is worth the same amount as masterpieces on the Switch such as BotW, Mario Odyssey, or Smash Ultimate? The notion that the two are even in the same league is utterly laughable. That's like a local playground thinking they could charge the same amount to enter their park as Disneyland.
Once again, I disagree with you, but of course there's nothing wrong with that. I respect your opinion, I just don't share it at all.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I had fun playing these games, and it also brought back my love for many gen 1 Pokemon. Since I barely used gen 1 Pokemon in the recent generations.

But for me it was a game to play for one time.. for now atleast
This is how I feel pretty much. It was ok for a one time thing but I don't really want any more games like these.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
It's honestly hard to say if LGPE is underrated because of how polarizing it is; people either seem to love it or despise it with no middle ground. Personally, I really enjoyed it; I will always have a soft spot for gen 1 and LG scratches that nostalgia itch. I'll admit, the catch mechanic took some getting used to, but it was kinda fun once I got the hang of it. LG probably gets more hate than it actually deserves, the game is definitely light on content, but the content that's there is fun, which is the best thing any game can be.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Traditional wild battles were just regular battles. They are not different in any way, shape or form from Trainer battles, which still exist in LGPE.
The catching minigame in LGPE on the other hand, is brand new content, and it is a lot more engaging than the traditional catching mechanic, because you need some level of skill to play it.

Not really. It adds some skill to the physical act of catching, but loses even more by removing the need to weaken Pokemon first. If they had had traditional wild battles and then went into that minigame when you went to throw the Poke Ball, that would be expansive content, but as a substitute, it's a step backwards.

Contests and Secret Bases haven't been part of any recent Pokemon game, other than remakes. They haven't been in games like SwSh, XY, SM, etc so my point stands.

Contests and Secret Bases are just prominent examples that easily illustrate my point. If you're looking for other examples from modern games, better examples would be the Battle Tower/Maison/Tree, Friend Safari, Poke Pelago, Festival Plaza, Ultra Warp Ride, and Dynamax Adventures. Nothing of that scale and nature exists in LGPE.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Not really. It adds some skill to the physical act of catching, but loses even more by removing the need to weaken Pokemon first. If they had had traditional wild battles and then went into that minigame when you went to throw the Poke Ball, that would be expansive content, but as a substitute, it's a step backwards.
Not at all? I don't even understand how you reached this conclusion.
Contests and Secret Bases are just prominent examples that easily illustrate my point. If you're looking for other examples from modern games, better examples would be the Battle Tower/Maison/Tree, Friend Safari, Poke Pelago, Festival Plaza, Ultra Warp Ride, and Dynamax Adventures. Nothing of that scale and nature exists in LGPE
I would argue that Master Trainers are exactly a replacement for Battle Facilities, as they work in a very similar way.

As for your other examples, they really don't add anything of substance. I don't see how they're any more relevant than LGPE adding stuff like Riding Pokemon or Flying, that most other Pokemon games lack.

Vini310

Let's Go is a simplified version of Pokémon aimed at beginners who got into the franchise through Pokémon Go.
As for whether it does a good job at catering to said demographic, I have no idea, as I'm indifferent towards Go and don't even have a Switch.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Not at all? I don't even understand how you reached this conclusion.

It's more like one step forward and two steps back, but yeah. Again, I'd be on board for it if they had you weaken the Pokemon, THEN do the motion control catching minigame, but to substitute the latter for the former is too regressive.

I would argue that Master Trainers are exactly a replacement for Battle Facilities, as they work in a very similar way.

Not quite. There's no challenge, no sense of progressing through a streak (since they're individual battles and not a series of battles). The older battle facilities/the Battle Frontier also had unique styles of battling (which is the main reason people keep asking for the BF back) whereas Master Battles are just plain old battling.

As for your other examples, they really don't add anything of substance. I don't see how they're any more relevant than LGPE adding stuff like Riding Pokemon or Flying, that most other Pokemon games lack.

The Friend Safari adds another way to find and catch Pokemon with additional encounter methods. There's also a social communication aspect to it of finding friends to add new Pokemon to your Safari.

Poke Pelago adds extra ways to find items and Pokemon, as well as raise your Pokemon.

Festival Plaza (and Join Avenue before it) allows you to customize your area with useful services for obtaining items, and also adds social communication by inviting friends and competing with them in minigames

Ultra Warp Ride allows you to access new areas which have additional Pokemon

Dynamax Adventures expands on Max Raid battles with a full co-op campaign and has tons of Pokemon and even legendaries for you to catch.

So basically what's missing from LGPE that the older games did is the following:

-New Pokemon to catch after beating the game, and in different ways than just standard encounters
-Additional areas to explore
-Battle facilities with unique battle styles to test your skills
-Social communication features besides regular old trading and battling to encourage you to interact with other players
-Training facilities/features that help you raise Pokemon quicker
-Generally just fun activities to do outside of the main gameplay

Reactions: ZiR

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
It's more like one step forward and two steps back, but yeah. Again, I'd be on board for it if they had you weaken the Pokemon, THEN do the motion control catching minigame, but to substitute the latter for the former is too regressive.

Not quite. There's no challenge, no sense of progressing through a streak (since they're individual battles and not a series of battles). The older battle facilities/the Battle Frontier also had unique styles of battling (which is the main reason people keep asking for the BF back) whereas Master Battles are just plain old battling.

The Friend Safari adds another way to find and catch Pokemon with additional encounter methods. There's also a social communication aspect to it of finding friends to add new Pokemon to your Safari.

Poke Pelago adds extra ways to find items and Pokemon, as well as raise your Pokemon.

Festival Plaza (and Join Avenue before it) allows you to customize your area with useful services for obtaining items, and also adds social communication by inviting friends and competing with them in minigames

Ultra Warp Ride allows you to access new areas which have additional Pokemon

Dynamax Adventures expands on Max Raid battles with a full co-op campaign and has tons of Pokemon and even legendaries for you to catch.

So basically what's missing from LGPE that the older games did is the following:

-New Pokemon to catch after beating the game, and in different ways than just standard encounters
-Additional areas to explore
-Battle facilities with unique battle styles to test your skills
-Social communication features besides regular old trading and battling to encourage you to interact with other players
-Training facilities/features that help you raise Pokemon quicker
-Generally just fun activities to do outside of the main gameplay
I find your entire reply to be incredibly biased because when LGPE adds stuff (like the Play Yard minigame, or chaining combos, or Master Trainers) you brush it off as "cheap" or "meaningless", etc , when that's not true at all. THEN you go on to demand other features that are not in LGPE, when your examples are mostly the same kind of content that you described as "cheap" and "meaningless" above.

I think you are very biased against LGPE, so I am not going to continue this discussion.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I find your entire reply to be incredibly biased because when LGPE adds stuff (like the Play Yard minigame, or chaining combos, or Master Trainers) you brush it off as "cheap" or "meaningless", etc , when that's not true at all.

It's not biased. The difference is that the content from the older games has more of a sense of depth and variety. You have multiple ways to engage with the content and/or there's a high quantity of that content. The only feature in LGPE where that's true is the Master Trainers, and considering that's just a standard battle it's not as impressive IMO.

THEN you go on to demand other features that are not in LGPE, when your examples are mostly the same kind of content that you described as "cheap" and "meaningless" above.

I don't get how you say it's "mostly the same content", there's a complete night and day difference here. Having entire involved features with depth and variety, social features that involve much more than basic trading and battling, and new Pokemon and areas offer much more than the quick, simplistic minigames that populate LGPE. Having deep and varied content makes a game feel much more expansive and much less repetitive and boring, LGPE lacking that (even if it's because of an intentional design philosophy), makes it feel out of place as a full priced Switch game, doubly so when you look at what other games on the Switch have done.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Nope.

Not shaming anyone here. I think the game is absolutely wonderful for people who are new to Pokemon, like Pokemon go, or just like Gen 1. Outside of this? The game is...ok.

I will give the game this in it's favor: It's the more definitive version of Gen 1 when it comes to mechanics. The Phys/Special split is here and there isn't any jank like in the original games battle wise. I like seeing Gen 1 'fixed' if you get what I mean. These are proper remakes in my book, but there are better choices out there.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
It's not biased. The difference is that the content from the older games has more of a sense of depth and variety. You have multiple ways to engage with the content and/or there's a high quantity of that content. The only feature in LGPE where that's true is the Master Trainers, and considering that's just a standard battle it's not as impressive IMO.

I don't get how you say it's "mostly the same content", there's a complete night and day difference here. Having entire involved features with depth and variety, social features that involve much more than basic trading and battling, and new Pokemon and areas offer much more than the quick, simplistic minigames that populate LGPE. Having deep and varied content makes a game feel much more expansive and much less repetitive and boring, LGPE lacking that (even if it's because of an intentional design philosophy), makes it feel out of place as a full priced Switch game, doubly so when you look at what other games on the Switch have done.
I disagree with you completely. You speak about LGPE in a way that makes it clear for me that you haven't played the game yourself. The features in LGPE have more depth than you think.