• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think that LGPE is an underrated Pokemon game?

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I do sometimes think that LGPE are somewhat underrated, but it's important to recognize that it's not a black and white situation (no pun intended).

I think that LGPE are enjoyable and feel like classic Pokémon games. I didn't have an issue with them being restricted to 151 (really 152/3?) species, I didn't have an issue with them limiting wild battles, and I love the look and feel of the game - visually, it's still my favorite. I like the Master Trainers, and the standard QoL improvements that bring the Yellow concept closer to other more recent titles are nice. Overall, I like the games.

The issues come in when we start to talk about what the games meant in a broader perspective. There are a lot of fans who did not enjoy the games, and who were vocally opposed to them from the announcement and through the release. I, personally, dismissed a lot of their concerns - that limiting the dex could set a bad precedent for the series, that removing wild battles was removing something too inherent to the series' identity, that not including the Sevii Islands was tantamount to removing content from Kanto, that the games being targeted at a slightly younger audience could make them difficult for older players to enjoy.

The way I engaged in that discourse, even on this site, is one of my biggest regrets as a fan of this franchise, and the callous attitude that I and many others took in dismissing critics of these games was embarrassingly misplaced. I remember clearly dismissing concerns from members like @Bolt the Cat as unfounded - and now in 2022, I look back and I was wrong on almost every single count. I actively regret that every time I have a discussion about the state of the franchise and the negativity in the community, because defending LGPE was where I directly contributed to where things are now.

Just to go over what some of those things were: In the time since release, we've seen that the dex restriction and move restriction probably did start to set a precedent for the rest of the main series, and those are two things that I think are honestly shameful. No game released in this franchise has had all the Pokémon or their moves since USUM, and even Legends: Arceus probably won't. We've also seen that the removal of enhanced version content is still and probably always going to be par for the course for remakes when BDSP didn't have virtually any of the things that Platinum brought to Sinnoh, and worse, that remakes may now remain restricted to species that were available in their original counterparts - instead of incorporating everything and being treated as truly legitimate new entries in the series, as HGSS and ORAS were. Further, they removed abilities, held items, breeding, and eggs, some of the things I'm personally going to miss from Legends (which also, allegedly, removes those things), all of which feel like important pieces of what the series had become by 2018 and what it's been since twenty years ago with Ruby and Sapphire. I get now what people were worried about because it arguably did come to pass.

Further, I think the way they're considered to be core series titles by Game Freak also means that there's a standard that they should be held against, and as much as I enjoy them, I don't feel like I can say they met that standard. I get that it's hard to bring both younger and more casual players into the fold and still appease us long-term fans, but LGPE don't feel like they made any effort to appeal to more dedicated existing players for anyone outside of a very specific Gen 1 niche. There are no post-game battle facilities to provide a satisfying and engaging gameplay loop after rolling the credits; there are no new or extra areas to explore beyond a single dungeon, so you've seen it all if you've beaten the game and caught Mewtwo; they don't make much of an effort to flesh out many Kanto characters, with the only notable example I can remember being a scene with Lorelai in a spot she hadn't appeared before; they don't add to or change the Kanto story almost at all. HGSS improved on the Johto experience, adjusting levels and adding the Battle Frontier and adding a Safari Zone and incorporating elements from Crystal. ORAS expanded the Hoenn story with the Delta Episode and added brand new Mega Evolutions, then allowed us to catch old legendaries in all kinds of new places. LGPE... just didn't do anything like that. It's just Kanto again, same story (less story than FRLG actually), same features more or less, but with a few extra battles and the Master Trainer thing.

They're less remakes and more remasters with wild battles swapped out for Go-style encounters - and that's fine in general, but is it really fine for a $60 core series Pokémon game that's the series' first on a home console? I don't know.

With all that said, I think that LGPE have probably earned their reputations, so I can't in good faith say they're all that underrated in the end. I get why people don't enjoy them, and a few years later I now get why some fans who haven't felt right about the series lately might point to them as where things started going wrong. Because I now see those same concerns from a few years ago impacting my own ability to enjoy more recent titles, I can't really argue against the perspective that the success of LGPE justified to Game Freak and Nintendo a path that I don't like from the series.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Further, I think the way they're considered to be core series titles by Game Freak also means that there's a standard that they should be held against, and as much as I enjoy them, I don't feel like I can say they met that standard. I get that it's hard to bring both younger and more casual players into the fold and still appease us long-term fans, but LGPE don't feel like they made any effort to appeal to more dedicated existing players for anyone outside of a very specific Gen 1 niche. There are no post-game battle facilities to provide a satisfying and engaging gameplay loop after rolling the credits; there are no new or extra areas to explore beyond a single dungeon, so you've seen it all if you've beaten the game and caught Mewtwo; they don't make much of an effort to flesh out many Kanto characters, with the only notable example I can remember being a scene with Lorelai in a spot she hadn't appeared before; they don't add to or change the Kanto story almost at all. HGSS improved on the Johto experience, adjusting levels and adding the Battle Frontier and adding a Safari Zone and incorporating elements from Crystal. ORAS expanded the Hoenn story with the Delta Episode and added brand new Mega Evolutions, then allowed us to catch old legendaries in all kinds of new places. LGPE... just didn't do anything like that. It's just Kanto again, same story (less story than FRLG actually), same features more or less, but with a few extra battles and the Master Trainer thing.

They're less remakes and more remasters with wild battles swapped out for Go-style encounters - and that's fine in general, but is it really fine for a $60 core series Pokémon game that's the series' first on a home console? I don't know.

You kind of allude to this with the question of whether or not it's fine for a $60 core series Pokemon game, but LGPE doesn't just need to hold itself to a standard of being a core Pokemon title, but it also has to hold itself to the standard of being a console game. Console games are usually held to a higher standard than handheld games (and while the Switch is a hybrid, it's capable of running console scale games, so console standards are more applicable to the Switch than handheld standards) because consoles have been capable of running very large, very content packed games that appeal to a market of gamers that want to engage with them for long periods of times, so a $60 console game has the expectation of being a "AAA" title which is essentially gaming's equivalent of a Hollywood blockbuster. A glorified remaster of a 1996 handheld game does not meet this kind of standard. Like, at all. It's not even a contest. LGPE just flat out seems like the wrong approach to take for a Switch game, from even a conceptual level. They do seem to have learned this and they have adjusted with SwSh and LA to design a game with more of a console mindset, but LGPE will forever be an awkward step into the console market that doesn't feel like it belongs. I am worried about them shifting towards more "remaster" style remakes in general as well (BDSP feels far too LGPE-esque and is only really better than LGPE because the original DPPt was far more advanced than the original RBY), that's getting extremely grating, but that's a larger discussion topic that goes beyond the scope of this thread.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The thing about Let's Go is that its main attraction is probably my least favorite thing about the game.

Like the Go mechanics weren't that great IMO. They can be clunky at times, and it doesn't really add anything too substantial.

Otherwise, I think we had some solid titles, and while I ultimately liked FR/LG more, I think these titles did some things better.

They substracted exclusive rather than add them like in FR/LG (which is good if the game has a small sample of Pokemon before post game). The music was really good. The gym leaders redesigns were solid, and we weren't really given "weak Gym Leader TM syndrome" (thought why Headbutt from Brock ?). They took good ideas from Yellow. The rematches were interesting (particularly with the E4 and Alolan mons). The QoL was well intergrated.
Edit: Now that I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, Partner Pikachu and Eevee aren't weak, and can still be useful in battle in later game.

The Go mechanic was probably my biggest gripe. Other than that, they didn't really add anything too noteworthy, but I don't blame them for being smaller scale, which I think we can expect more of these type of titles.

Luthor

Do I think they are underrated I'd say yes but only slightly. I do still consider them to be the weakest remakes but there are some aspects I like in these games I mentioned this on another thread but there are 4 things I loved in in the Lets go games.

1. Better Gym and Elite 4 Initial and rematch teams (within the limits of the Kanto Dex)

If you look at the gym leaders and elite 4 teams a lot of them have much more diverse teams than they have in previous Kanto Games and considering the limited Dex size the fact they managed to achieve that was something I appreciated.

2. Use of Alolan Form Trades

I really liked this. Kanto has a limited roster and for some types the options are very limited (or in the case of Dark Type not present natively) . But using the Alolan forms there was much more variety. Not just for the Player but also used by the Elite 4 in their rematches giving their teams options they've never had before. For example In the Alola games while I caught one (and got the totem) I never really used the Alolan Raticate in Alola I did get some use out of one in part of these games by virtue of its rare typing.

3. Partner Eevee

It was quite fun to be able to use an Eevee with diverse move options and decent stats.

4. Using a Meltan & Melmetal in game for the first time

While I didn't use for playthough the fact that it added new Mythical options for Kanto (not technically from there but they are at least added to kanto dex) which I found quite fun. (admitting this is with the downside you needed access to Pokemon GO which some People do not).

But i admit a lot of people didn't like these as much as I did and the catching mechanic wasn't the most fun so I can't say that a lot of the criticism isn't fair. So I would consider slightly underrated but not by that much.

Trillion

nope. imo it's the worst pokemon game out of all the ones i've played. and besides hgss and the unova games, i've played them all from ruby - brilliant diamond

frlg is still the definitive kanto experience. the only thing lgpe has above those games are the graphics and the physical-special split

beanDude

Reviewer
The Let's Go games are very enjoyable. I do have issues with them though. First of all, I wish they changed more from Gen 1 and the Gen 1 remakes, considering Let's Go is not a remake. Secondly, while I really like how they did the exp and leveling curve, making the game difficult if you ignore wild Pokemon and only battle Trainers, but easy if you spend time grinding those catches, the balance isn't quite there. Towards the end of the game I went from being underleveled to overleveled in just one short grinding session. Also, while it's not like Let's Go is devoid of content, there definitely could have been a lot more.

That being said, there are a lot of little things that really make Let's Go enjoyable to me. I can tell effort went into them. While it shouldn't replace the standard Pokemon formula, I found the gameplay differences from the main series to be a nice break from what every Pokemon player is used to. If Let's Go sequels came out I would definitely pick them up right away.

Autobot N

Autobot
They were pretty good. I'd like them a lot better if they had regular catching, abilities/held items, and at least post Gen 1 evolutions of Kanto Pokemon

Aurelesk

I liked LGPE. The game is good, overall. Far from being the greatest, but my tastes are kind of weird. I am not a fan of FRLG or Diamond and Pearl (Platinum is okay: it fixed a lot of problems), while considering XY a great game, and HGSS, B2W2 and ORAS being the greatest. Now, you are warned!
For me, LGPE is the best iteration of the Kanto region while somehow not being representative of Kanto. Weird thought, isn’t it?

What I like about LGPE are the following Pokémon and I appreciate it more retrospectively when we look at the situation in BDSP, the ability to ride many of our Pokémon, the overworld wild encounters (dodge the unwanted, choose who to catch), the game-breaking Partners Pokémon that will never be available outside their respective game, the player and Pokémon customization (silly to put a Diglett on my Eevee, but I can do it!), or the added trend to catch most of the Pokémon including starters in the wild. They even try to rebalance some moves in the game.
The catching mechanic was interesting. I don’t want it to be a core mechanic, but I would like to see it again in a minigame or sidequest. If they redo a Safari Zone, I am okay to add it in there.

I believe LGPE was limited purposely, but the few things they were allowed to work on were done greatly. But… There are a lot of things lacking, wrong, lazy or odd choices, or missed opportunities. For example, I do not understand why they opted for the Awakening Value system. It allows you to have +100 in each stat by level 1, which is insane.
As said by Autobot, the lack of Abilities, held Items and Pokémon hinders the game. To be fair, as LGPE is kind of a spin-off game, I was okay with not having all items back, or even Pokémon limited to 1 ability (rebalanced, or completely changed).
I understand why they didn’t include other Pokémon in the game in order to keep the experience “pure”. But “pure” is underwhelming. They could have added Pokémon related to the first generation without really harming the experience. For example: added up to 32 Pokémon with Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Crobat, Bellossom, Politoed, Slowking, Magnezone, Steelix, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Happiny, Blissey, Tangrowth, Kingdra, Mime Jr., Scizor, Smoochum, Elekid, Electivire, Magby, Magmortar, Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon, Porygon2, Porygon-Z and Munchlax. If we include the 18 Alolan variants, we could have 201 entries in the Pokédex. It would still be poor, but it would be less poor. They could also add new areas to justify new Pokémon to catch. For example, instead of removing the Safari Zone, they could replace it with a Nature Preserve that emulates the Alolan climate and justify catching Alolan Pokémon there. It would be better than in-game trade.
The lack of Day Care for breeding is also a problem. I would also want some minigames. The forbidden slot machine could have been replaced with minigames à la Voltorblip, Pikachu-surfing could have made its comeback since it was a secret in Pokémon Yellow. The Safari Zone (third time I mention it…) is another way to break the pace. Or an interesting Sevii Island. They could also include the Battle Tower from Crystal as a wink to the player. It is also sad to say online functionalities peaked at XY, 8-9 years ago, and only went downward since.

Overall, LGPE is a pleasant game. It is not worth being considered as a full game, since it lacks many game mechanics and post-game content. When we compare to HGSS or ORAS, we can only be disappointed that the game isn’t as good and didn’t get as much polish as those two games. It is the weakest of the remakes. Yet, I find it better than FRLG and RBY, and unfortunately, LGPE is the best iteration of Kanto so far. Feel free to disagree I guess.

beanDude

Reviewer
Funny you mention Crowbat, because I literally had a Golbat follow me around for a significant portion of my playthrough in an attempt to raise its friendship level quicker, only to later suddenly have the realization that Crobat isn't in the game upon remembering that the Pokedex is Gen 1 only.

Palamon

Sovereign of Asunder
Definitely not. This is one of the games I'm glad I skipped, and I very rarely, if ever, skip Pokemon games. Kanto has just been way too oversaturated at this point that, for me personality, anything that has to do with Kanto is just overrated. I do think these games were only created because of Pokemon Go's success, and that's fine, but we still didn't need more games that took place in Kanto.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
My main issue with the games was that they get very dull after awhile. I actually like battling wild Pokémon as I can level up my team and test out move sets without needing to go through the E4 and worrying about needing to either win five continuous battles or make my entire team faint on purpose and lose money as a result. I never encountered the Legendary Birds beyond the scripted meetings and I didn’t even come across a single Shiny Pokémon other than the Shiny Meltan and Melmetal I sent over from Go. And even the Go connectivity was boring unless you sent over I believe 30 of the same Pokémon and put them in the same Park which very few people would do.

Pokemon Power

Yes, it is underrated. I really liked playing the original Kanto adventure on my Switch, and bringing my Gen. 1 and Alolan form Pokemon over from Pokemon Go. I wish they'd release an expansion pass for it.

Aurelesk

Kanto has just been way too oversaturated at this point that, for me personality, anything that has to do with Kanto is just overrated.
I am agreeing while disagreeing. I do not think the problem is the Kanto region itself, but the fact Gamefreak only proposed us to live the same adventure again and again with no real additional or unexpected content to lift it up. FRLG barely did it, but at least added held items, abilities, breeding and the Sevii Islands. LGPE didn't even do that: it is the same region with even less content.

It is like Alola and USUM: even if the games are the definitive version of SM, they felt mediocre in comparison because it was the same progression except the legendary by the endgame. However, those versions added some content: 100 additional Pokémon in the adventure, Mantine Surf, some Z-moves, Rotom Dex, Photo Club, Ultra Warp Ride, Battle Agency... If someone ask me which game they should play between SM and USUM, I will recommend the latter. But many players looked at USUM's content as planned, removed on purpose from SM to justify new sales. Contrary to B2W2, even if you visit the same region, you are following a brand new route and immersed in a brand new scenario. Even the route you have known have changed a bit, like north of Castelia City where the area either exploited the archaeological site, or removed for construction of habitation. It is far from being a slightly different adventure. And this, this is my guess on why people are oversaturated by Kanto: because it is always the same thing.

Let's be honest, if Pokémon Legends was in the Kanto region instead of Sinnoh, I will look forward to play the game, hoping the game will not rub Charizard all over my face (it is your HM Fly, the Champion has one, and it has a new form!).

I do think these games were only created because of Pokemon Go's success, and that's fine, but we still didn't need more games that took place in Kanto.

I believe Pokémon Go players and Pokémon RPG players are two different communities, and Pokémon Let's Go was an attempt to bring Go players to play the RPG, in hope that will increase the sales of the next games. Pokémon Sw/Sh did made better sales. Is it because of the Go players? Or because there are more Switch sold (92M) than 3DS (75M)? We can only wonder...

The removal of abilities and items in order to feels like Pokémon Go was an mistake. Smart phone players are not dumb. You could have those content without being primordial in the playthrough.

Yes, it is underrated. I really liked playing the original Kanto adventure on my Switch, and bringing my Gen. 1 and Alolan form Pokemon over from Pokemon Go. I wish they'd release an expansion pass for it.

For people annoyed by Kanto, any new games about the region will feel overrated due to lassitude.
For people not annoyed by Kanto, it is a nice adventure and they don't understand why many people are hating this game.

If I had to sum up my thoughts (sorry, that will be mean), Pokémon Let's go was an excellent proof of concept, and now I am waiting for the actual game to be released. It has a lot of strengths and it was a pleasant game. But deep inside me, I can't hide my disappointment: the game was quite empty. Once done, it is done, and did fill it justified to be sold at full price.

Last edited: