• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Do you think that LGPE is an underrated Pokemon game?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
But LGPE has other features. It has better graphics, better music and include numerous quality of life improvements including faster combat and animation, box storage available everywhere or the removal of HM. There is a player customization as well as some Pokémon customization. Pokémon can follow you, and you can ride some of them. The Mega-Evolution and the Alolan variant are introduced, and you can also rematch from Gym Leader once per day. Pokémon appears in the wild making navigation way less frustrating and way more immersive while making the Pokedex completion a way more pleasant task to do. A Catch Combo feature is introduced to increase the candy rates, shiny odds and better IVs for Pokémon. You cannot deny that LGPE has strengths too.
But I will understand if you say you don't care about those strengths because they do not matter to you.

Most of this has entirely to do with when the games released instead of the merits of the game's design philosophy. The better graphics and music were technological improvements because the Switch is infinitely more capable than the GBA, Similarly, removing HMs came about because of repeated complaints over time and probably would not have been implemented any differently on the GBA games, riding Pokemon and overworld encounters came about because the 3D artstyle can more easily illustrate those concepts, and Mega Evolution and regional variants did not come about until the 3DS games. If the games were switched and we got LGPE on the GBA and FRLG on the Switch, do you really think LGPE could still make that claim? Of course not, FRLG would be the game with all of those improvements and then LGPE would have even less that it could claim it does better in. So those aren't improvements you should really put a lot of weight on because Switch games are held to higher standards like that. What you should really be looking at is how it holds up compared to other Switch games and what kinds of things it does as a result of design philosophy. And in those regards, LGPE has little that it does better. The only aspects you mentioned that really qualify are the gym leader rematches (which aren't much because Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, BW2, XY, SwSh, and BDSP also have gym leader rematches) and catch combos. If you like those things, great, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's a tough opinion to defend.

beanDude

Reviewer
quality of life improvements including faster combat and animation, box storage available everywhere

Wait did we even play the same game? Animations in Let's Go take like twice as long as they did on the GBA.

Also, accessing the box from anywhere is actually detrimental to the game design. Part of the experience of playing a Pokemon game is choosing a party and having to commit to traveling with them from point A to point B. Having a party limited to 6 is a non-issue in Let's Go. Also what is even the point of the Elite Four without this limit? I thought the whole point was for it to be a challenge because you have to beat all 5 Trainers with just one team of 6.

On top of that Let's Go is too unbalanced for me to take seriously. Trainer Battles give hardly any experience and instead I just have to grind Gravellers in Rock Tunnel for an hour and then my Pokemon are all level 65 and can overpower everything in my way. How riveting.

Not to mention only the original 151 Pokemon in the game, I guess wanting to evolve my Golbat was just too much to ask for.

Aurelesk

If the games were switched and we got LGPE on the GBA and FRLG on the Switch, do you really think LGPE could still make that claim?
It is quite dishonest to basically ask: "If FRLG has everything that LGPE got better, would FRLG be better?", then yes I would agree. But sadly, this is not the case. You cannot discard all the flaws of the FRLG because it was like back then, while do not give credit to the newer game when they added feature or that did correct those flaws.

It would be as dishonest for myself to say: "Held Items and Abilities did not come about until the GBC and GBA games, so we cannot take those improvements. If the games were switched and we got RBY on the GBA and FRLG on the GB, do you really think FRLG could still make that claim?"

So those aren't improvements you should really put a lot of weight on because Switch games are held to higher standards like that
Even if I agree that Switch games are held to higher standard to the point of considering LGPE should not even dare to be considered as a full game, why dot you think the improvements made since then should be discarded? Isn't the whole pointof a remake?

What you should really be looking at is how it holds up compared to other Switch games and what kinds of things it does as a result of design philosophy.

Even back then, Pokémon FRLG wasn't close to be one the greatest game of the GBA, added few to no improvement to the Pokémon franchise until the next big step on the DS console. It was just "popular" and sold well. Well, exactly like all the Pokémon games so far. When we compare to Golden Sun, Mario & Luigi, Minish Cap or Metroid Zero Mission / Fusion, Pokémon was very far to achieve those design.

The questions are neither: "Which game between RBY, FRLG or LGPE used the maximum potential of the console at the time?" nor "Which game between RBY, FRLG or LGPE was the most impactful at the time?" because to all those questions, RBY would have "won". Does that mean I recommend to play RBY? No! Except you really want to dig to the origin of the Pokémon history, or want a nostalgia trip.

You seem to have FRLG in high regard, and I don't really get why. So tell me: why do you like FRLG? I really want to know your opinion about it. Sincerely. No joke. I mean, the elements that you like the most and believe it is obvious could be way different from another person perspective. Because I don't understand what make FRLG that great to the point of actually thinking it is better than LGPE.

I am quite sad you don't want to expose your point of view to share why you believe FRLG games are better. Instead, you simply answering and contradict points I thought didn't even made debate (like graphics or QoL improvement...).

Wait did we even play the same game? Animations in Let's Go take like twice as long as they did on the GBA.
Yeah... I do hope people who are answering here did have played all the Kanto games less than 2 years ago and the experience fresh enough.

I reload my GBA file, and the battle animation are around the same or a little faster. I was wrong. But I wanted to talk more about the random encounter that take around 10 seconds to flee each time. Sure, I could use a repel. But I don't like the idea to waste money in a game in order to save for the most pricey items (even my held items are more likely to be the Coin Amulet or the Lucky Egg instead of tactical one...). I am glad they changed how random encounters work since.

Also, accessing the box from anywhere is actually detrimental to the game design. Part of the experience of playing a Pokemon game is choosing a party and having to commit to traveling with them from point A to point B.
Accessing the box could be limited inside "dungeon" like area and Elite Four. They could justify it with "no Wi-Fi no phone connexion" or something since the Pokédex and all functionalities have been outsourced to Motisma. But it is a very pleasant QoL improvement. I hope they will keep it. But yeah, getting access to it in the elite four is dumb. Between "not having access" and "having access everywhere" I think there is a middle ground inbetween.

Nothing prevent to flee all wild encounter and go back to the Pokémon Center after each tough trainer, and many players did played like this since Pokémon Center has no downside to use them since RBY. That's how I played when I was a child. Already, the commitment wasn't fully there from the beginning. Then, they put a lot of overworld "medic" in the 5th generation because the new Experience formula and the length of the routine made traveling more challenging. So I don't think Gamefreak did actually value the travelling commitment.

Having a party limited to 6 is a non-issue in Let's Go. Also what is even the point of the Elite Four without this limit? I thought the whole point was for it to be a challenge because you have to beat all 5 Trainers with just one team of 6.

On top of that Let's Go is too unbalanced for me to take seriously. Trainer Battles give hardly any experience and instead I just have to grind Gravellers in Rock Tunnel for an hour and then my Pokemon are all level 65 and can overpower everything in my way. How riveting.

Not to mention only the original 151 Pokemon in the game, I guess wanting to evolve my Golbat was just too much to ask for.
Agree, even if I was never bothered by the lack of experience from trainer in the adventure since... well the game is pretty easy anyway. In the post game, Chansey Combo in Cerulean Cave is a very good experience generator.

The unbalance is real. In one way, they rebalanced many moves but made the adventure even more a joke than RBY or FRLG.

The difficulty in Pokémon games were barely mild (even in the 4th that wasn't hard). LGPE achieved to completely remove it. Congratulations LGPE, well done (sarcasm). Don't get me wrong: LGPE is flawed. A lot. But they are clearly nice and pleaseant game. I wanted a Crobat too.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It is quite dishonest to basically ask: "If FRLG has everything that LGPE got better, would FRLG be better?", then yes I would agree. But sadly, this is not the case. You cannot discard all the flaws of the FRLG because it was like back then, while do not give credit to the newer game when they added feature or that did correct those flaws.

It would be as dishonest for myself to say: "Held Items and Abilities did not come about until the GBC and GBA games, so we cannot take those improvements. If the games were switched and we got RBY on the GBA and FRLG on the GB, do you really think FRLG could still make that claim?"

The difference is that many of the things that LGPE improved were difficult or even impossible to do with the hardware limitations of the GBA or would've been unconventional at the time while being completely conventional now. FRLG is more flawed in those areas, but you have to put those flaws in perspective because they wouldn't have been able to fix them on the GBA.

And if you notice, I didn't say everything that was in LGPE was simply a matter of hardware/design conventions. Gym leader rematches and catch combos were not.

Even if I agree that Switch games are held to higher standard to the point of considering LGPE should not even dare to be considered as a full game, why dot you think the improvements made since then should be discarded? Isn't the whole pointof a remake?

I never said they should be discarded. I mean it's not something that doesn't really deserve a lot of praise because those kinds of changes are largely expected at this point.

Even back then, Pokémon FRLG wasn't close to be one the greatest game of the GBA, added few to no improvement to the Pokémon franchise until the next big step on the DS console. It was just "popular" and sold well. Well, exactly like all the Pokémon games so far. When we compare to Golden Sun, Mario & Luigi, Minish Cap or Metroid Zero Mission / Fusion, Pokémon was very far to achieve those design.

I've played all of those except Golden Sun and I don't really see any significant deficiencies in FRLG compared to those games, so IDK what you're seeing in those other games that FRLG didn't do. Pokemon's lagging behind is mainly due to the jump to 3D and consoles, their games were fine for 2D handheld games but 3D console games are capable of much more (hell, look at even how N64 games compared to GB games).

The questions are neither: "Which game between RBY, FRLG or LGPE used the maximum potential of the console at the time?" nor "Which game between RBY, FRLG or LGPE was the most impactful at the time?" because to all those questions, RBY would have "won". Does that mean I recommend to play RBY? No! Except you really want to dig to the origin of the Pokémon history, or want a nostalgia trip.

The question is whether or not LGPE is underrated, and not using anywhere close to the maximum potential of the console is likely a factor.

You seem to have FRLG in high regard, and I don't really get why. So tell me: why do you like FRLG? I really want to know your opinion about it. Sincerely. No joke. I mean, the elements that you like the most and believe it is obvious could be way different from another person perspective. Because I don't understand what make FRLG that great to the point of actually thinking it is better than LGPE.

I am quite sad you don't want to expose your point of view to share why you believe FRLG games are better. Instead, you simply answering and contradict points I thought didn't even made debate (like graphics or QoL improvement...).

Because I put a lot of stock in the amount of areas, Pokemon, and side content that is in the game and FRLG is the only one of the three that has extra content in those aspects. Those are the kinds of gameplay elements that continue to keep me engaged after I beat the game, and RBY and LGPE have next to none of that. Granted FRLG only has that additional content because of the Sevii Islands, but it's still more than the other two have. LIke you said, it's more a matter of which one is least bad than which one is the best.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I feel like LGPE is an underrated Pokemon game. I think it is one of the best Pokemon games we've had. The main reason why I praise LGPE so highly is because I feel like there is more attention to detail put in LGPE compared to any other Pokemon game I've played. It's just filled to the brim with lovely details and easter eggs waiting to be discovered.

What's your opinion?
Graphics are better than BDSP and SwSh, has one of the better Gym Leader rematches, and battling Red, Green, and Blue are honestly my favorite trainer rematches in the entire Pokemon series. With that said, still doesn't excuse the games' criticisms.

beanDude

Reviewer
Accessing the box could be limited inside "dungeon" like area and Elite Four.

This was exactly what I was going to propose as a theoretical solution, since I have no problem with the idea of accessing the box from the menu as opposed to having to walk somewhere. My main issue with it was the Elite Four, since it's the only area in most Pokemon games where the player is explicitly prevented from turning back and fully healing for free or swapping party members. If anything I think it would be a good compromise if future games made instant box access a feature that gets unlocked after beating the main story.

No, remakes should enhance the previous iterations. FireRed and Leafgreen had so much more to offer than the Let's Go games. They were really simplistic, didn't add anything from any later games aside from Megas and a few formes, not even evolutions of gen 1 pokemon. The story was as barebones as it was in the original Red/Blue (they could've adopted the Sevii islands from FR/LG or added something new).

As much as Gamefreak keeps claiming this is a mainline series Pokemon game, I still feel it's a somewhat gimmicky spinoff. Is it a bad game? Not per se, but compared to the mainline series, it is somewhere near the bottom in my opinion together with Sword/Shield.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
LGPE has become one of my top favorite Pokemon games, that's for sure. I do think it's quite underrated.

Leonhart

Imagineer
They're not underrated, because that would imply that the games are better than most fans give them credit for, but even some of the most hardcore Pokemon fans don't particularly love these games. For starters, there's so little to do in these games and as a result there isn't much replay value.

Even the improvement in graphics wasn't enough to keep most players interested in them. Then there's also the fact that there's a very limited amount of Pokemon available, which adds a feeling of monotony when it comes to building a team. As for the claims that the music is good, I suppose that's subjective: personally, I'm not seeing the appeal of hearing more remixes of tracks that had already been remixed several times in previous games.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
They're not underrated, because that would imply that the games are better than most fans give them credit for
They ARE better than most fans give them credit for, imo. But of course, that's always subjective.

I do think they are under rated. I think to make it perfect they would need to add some more pokemon though. Also, we have all already lost thousands of hours of our lives in Kanto... Did we really need to come back to it AGAIN? That being said I don't nessacarily think its a bad thing to remake the OG story every decade or so... I had a blast with it.